US Senators pass law enforcement reporting bill to avoid police brutality

webfact

US Senators Pass Law Enforcement Reporting Bill to Avoid Police Brutality

The US Senate has passed a bill, which requires states to report the number of individuals who die each year during arrests or in police custody.

WASHINGTON, December 12 (Sputnik) – A bill, passed by the US Senate that would require states to report the number of individuals who die each year in police custody and while being arrested, will help hold law enforcement agencies accountable amid recent cases of race-related police brutality in the United States, Senator Richard Blumenthal has said in a statement.

"The stark, staggering fact is that the nation has no reliable idea how many Americans die during arrests or police custody each year," the statement, released Thursday, said.

"This legislation will fix that unacceptable factual gap. It will ensure that the nation knows exactly how many Americans die in custody, and it will give the information needed to strengthen trust at every level," the statement added.

US Senator Rand Paul said in a statement, following the passage of the bill that it would allow to "get a true picture of the extent and circumstances of deaths in the criminal justice system".

Full story: http://sputniknews.com/us/20141212/1015759799.html

-- Sputnik News 2014-12-12

Here is a brilliant idea, arm every man woman and child in the land with guns and let the

law of the jungle take it's course and will see who's left standing, that way, no law

informant's agency will be held responsible to any killings...

Here is a brilliant idea, arm every man woman and child in the land with guns and let the

law of the jungle take it's course and will see who's left standing, that way, no law

You should watch "The Purge".....

It's already like that, which is fine by me. I'd rather have that than the nanny-state mentality where the 'State' takes your gun and (soon) anything sharp, heavy, or solid. By the year 2020 in British commonwealths, you'll be lucky if you can wield a rubber spoon and fork to eat (even rubber knives will be outlawed by then imho). lol

/sarcasm off whistling.gif

Edited by connda

One large step forward for criminals, one small step back for law abiding citizens. The cops will be afraid to man handle those that resist arrest now.

Like the article says race related, so will they only report the deaths of black people, because lets be honest, they seem to be the only ones kicking up the storm at this time, even when many a white person has been killed in the same manner, there is a bigger picture, remember they did not shoot them just because they was black, as many people want you to think, so now you can have your say I have had mine

Back in the day up until 1985 cops could shoot any person who was in the process of committing a felony who resisted in ANY way. Sine the law changed felons have become a lot more dangerous because they feel they have to right to physically resist arrest or attack a police officer. Bring the old law back and felons may think twice before they attack a police officer. Yes, striking, grabbing or any physical attack on a police officer is and always has been a felony. Hundreds of police officers die every year in America because of this do not take their right to defend themselves.

This new legislation was approved by the Senate under the 'unanimous consent' rule, which means not one of the 100 US senators objected to its becoming law (two senators elected from each state).

The Senate's unanimous approval yesterday came exactly one year to the day after the unanimous approval of the 435 members elected to the US House that the bill become law.

The House passed the bill before the Mike Brown homicide and the Eric Garner homicide, while the Senate approved it after the deaths, which shows a overarching bipartisan unanimity in the Congress that the Congress and the public need to know more about these matters that are of such impact and importance to the country.

This is a bit of good news for a change given that all 535 voting members of congress can't agree on the time of day.

Agreed, good news. You say the House passed it last year. Wonder where the holdup was?

On another thread a poster was spreading the ridiculous stat that 30,000 illegal aliens with criminal records were released on America's streets. 30,0000? C'mon. It's ridiculous on its face.

You are one of those posters whose claims I am immediately skeptical of, on pretty much every topic. I have not investigated this at all, but this looks believable without any further research

In 2013, ICE freed 36,007 convicted criminal aliens from detention who were awaiting the outcome of deportation proceedings, according to a document obtained by the Center for Immigration Studies. This group included aliens convicted of hundreds of violent and serious crimes, including homicide, sexual assault, kidnapping, and aggravated assault.

http://cis.org/ICE-Document-Details-36000-Criminal-Aliens-Release-in-2013

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

This will amount to little more than putting a small Band-Aid on a serious wound...it will encourage the police to do a better job of covering up their crimes and bring the police culture closer together...as they watch each others backs...a lie profusely to cover their wrong doing...

What is really needed...is to quit giving the police nearly complete immunity when it comes to bashing in the heads of civilians...

• Like 1

On another thread a poster was spreading the ridiculous stat that 30,000 illegal aliens with criminal records were released on America's streets. 30,0000? C'mon. It's ridiculous on its face.

You are one of those posters whose claims I am immediately skeptical of, on pretty much every topic. I have not investigated this at all, but this looks believable without any further research

In 2013, ICE freed 36,007 convicted criminal aliens from detention who were awaiting the outcome of deportation proceedings, according to a document obtained by the Center for Immigration Studies. This group included aliens convicted of hundreds of violent and serious crimes, including homicide, sexual assault, kidnapping, and aggravated assault.

http://cis.org/ICE-Document-Details-36000-Criminal-Aliens-Release-in-2013

UG:

He won't listen to you.

I have provided articles and a draft copy of the government report for 2014 when only a little over 30,000 were released. He refuses to even look at them.

He's like a broken record...just keeps making the same posts over and over.

Just try and let him rave on, regardless of how ridiculous his claims are. It won't be easy.

He's like a broken record...just keeps making the same posts over and over.

Pretty typical of his posts. I was pretty sure that you had provided credible evidence, but it was so easy to find more. Maybe he does not know how to use Google.

He could also simply not agree with you.

Please stay on the topic and refrain from making remarks directed at other posters. You are under no obligation to respond.

You can ignore a poster or a post....I find that members often do that to me!

Now back to the topic, please.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I do find it interesting that many of the same posters on here who jump to the defense of the police whenever race is an issue are the same ones who bitch the loudest about "racism" directed at farang, who complain the most vociferously about the disparity in treatment by the Thai police of farang and Thais, and who moan about the absence of rights for farang. However, these same folks have zero problem with the treatment afforded blacks by the American police. A twelve year old black child is shot by a white Cleveland police officer withing 12 seconds of the officer arriving on scene and encountering the child playing with a toy gun that had the orange tip missing. Two years prior, the same officer failed his firearms qualification training, the trainer noting that, "He could not follow simple directions, could not communicate clear thoughts, nor recollections, and his handgun performance was dismal."

A 22 year old black man was killed by white police officers in a Walmart in Dayton, OH for the crime of walking around the store carrying a toy air rifle he had picked up in the toy aisle. White officers, called by a suspicious white couple, opened fire WHILE IN THE PROCESS OF TELLING HIM TO DROP THE WEAPON.

Now, the pro-cop gang is going to chime in that the twelve year old should not have been playing with a toy gun absent the orange tip, and the 22 year old shouldn't have been carrying the air rifle around. So my question to them would be, Why, then, is it OK for so called "Open Carry" advocates, openly brandishing loaded assault weapons and handguns, to walk around shopping malls, restaurants, and supermarkets, all crowded with unarmed individuals, but none of them is gunned down? Why? Because virtually every single one of these Rambo wannabes is white. No cops running in, guns blazing.

Mind you, my nephew is a city cop in Knoxville, Tennessee. I want him to be safe. If he encounters someone who poses a genuine threat to his safety, I want him to defend himself. I am perfectly well aware that the vast majority of police officers are honest, dependable people doing a dangerous, and mostly thankless job. They deserve to go home to their families at the end of every shift. But there is a small fraction of those officers who are out of control. They do not deserve to be protected by their colleagues, or the system. The danger now is that the public will lose trust and respect for the good cops. That would not be a good situation.