Temple in Thailand to hand out smart phones to lure young attendants

webfact

Temple to hand out smart phones to lure young attendants

12-19-2014-5-57-17-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A temple in Phitsanuloke province is to hand out five I-Phone 6 smart phones to people who attend a major merit-making ceremony to be held during December 27-January 4.

This market gimmick employed by WatRatburana to lure young people to get into the temple has become of heated debates in the social media.

Phra Khru Sitthithamwipat, the abbot of the temple, said today that the smart phones distribution was a policy of the temple too lure Thai youths to return to the temple and to become interested in Buddhism. He believes that youths will be attracted to the smart phone handout and will turn out in force to attend the festivities to be held on the compound of the temple.

The monk said that just extending invitation for the youths to attend an event may not work. But distributing handouts such as smart phones might be an incentive to lure more people to attend the event.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/temple-hand-smart-phones-lure-young-attendants

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-19

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The phones may be smarter than the recipients.

Let's not condemn the Abbott for at least trying to use a relevant marketing ploy to attract a new generation of customers. He is showing more nous than a lot of his contempories across the planet, or for that matter, he is using a better marketing tool than a lot of companies.

Every now and then a promo is great , everyday boring , I remember way back the Archbishop of Perth ( West Oz) had rock groups in, to encourage younger people, this eventually fizzled out , like all things religious.

I think they should ban these smart phones from temples,offices,schools,stations and all work places! We managed for years with out mobile phones so we don't really need then now.( It should be noted viewers that i myself am the owner of a " smartphone " but leave it in my room 24 hours a day.Nothing worse than somebody " disturbing me " while i am out on a gentle stroll or listening to some cool tunes...) I spotted a sign in Bangkok a while back which really summed it all up - " PLEASE WATCH WHERE YOU ARE WALKING AS YOUR FACEBOOK UPDATE CAN WAIT " .....

Farang jaidee ( " oblivious to the world around me " ) smile.png

• Like 2

"He believes that youths will be attracted to the smart phone handout and will turn out in force to attend the festivities to be held on the compound of the temple."

Translation: Lure people to temple festivals and spend more money so the temple can profit more. Temple have no intention to lure young folks to follow the Buddhist principles or what not, just a marketing scheme to generate more cash.

• Like 1

The problem is that most of the young are not interested in Buddhism.

The young are thinking beings. They look around, they see, they want to know. They look around at powerful and ridiculously happy people who are corrupt and successful in business, law enforcement, and the military. They see every politician who has ever been on Thai television and hear them lying, and also see these politicians being powerful and ridiculously happy people who are corrupt and successful. They young also all know about the bad monks, powerful and ridiculously happy people who are corrupt and successful.

The young know results when they see them, and are highly competitive, and will cheat to win (like young people of every culture). Corruption encourages corruption. The young want to win. They want results.

It has been said "Nice guys finish last," which is optimism.

Nice guys never get to even be in the race...

(insert nonexistent 'shrug' emoticon here)

Edited by FangFerang