Certificate of Residence.......how much?

Last year I got the certificate of residence...for the driving licence... without charge from Khon Kaen immigration

Today the same lady demanded 500 Baht. I shook my head and reminded her that it was free last year. "Up to you" she said as she threw the papers at me.

By coincidence a big boss was visiting the office...they had received him like they would the American president. I waited half an hour hoping to ask him, but then left.

Does anyone know? Is there an official fee for this certificate? Like the 1900B extension and the 1000B re-entry permit.

BTW I had 100B ready as a tip, same as last year. And my next extension, thank God, will be at another office.

You can only get one from your local immigration office so pay the fee and keep quiet or you might annoy them which means no driving license for you !

That's not true, you can get one from your embassy and really pay through the nose! US, 1600baht, I think UK is over 2000 baht.

• Like 1

There is no official fee for it. The unofficial fee varies from 200 to 500 baht dependent upon the office doing it.

Thanks ubonjoe.

Strange that immi. HQ don't impose an official fee. It would be a nice earner and avoid unpleasant inconsistencies like my experience today.

@ukrules.

Last year free, today 500, next year 1000? and keep quiet all the time?

@uptheos.

I am happy to give a small tip to avoid the "misunderstandings" that caused me to visit immi 5 times last year for my first extension. If you have ever paid for this certificate, you have also tipped unwittingly. Not so painful, or ridiculous I think.

@Khwaibah

Thanks for the tip. Next time, with family connections, it might work and would save me a 170 km round trip

I'm suprised members are willing to pay for what is a free service.

Refuse to pay. Take your Thai partner with you and get them to point out to the officer that the service is free.

I've never paid for a residents letter.

Where does it say that such a service is free.

Either there is a service (for which a fee is normally payable) or, they do not provide the service.

It is not a service that is advertised nor is the price. 500 Baht is not unreasonable unless you re a real cheap Charlie.

Still, they have your card marked and revenge is a dish best served cold.

• Like 1

I tip immigration every year when I do my yearly extension. I usually take a big box of Pomelo (in season in November) and lemons from my orchard when I go. They're happy to get the fruit and it goes to waste otherwise.

As far as paying for the certificate, why do you think that it's free because there's no designated charge on the immigration website.By not posting a charge it's left up to the individual offices. I'd much rather pay 500 baht for one there than travel to Bangkok and pay $50 at the US Embassy. The DLT office that I use, Takhli, will not accept a letter from the local police anymore. !0 years ago they did but when I renewed 5 years ago they wouldn't accept it and I had to get one from immigration. Did the same this year. If you go into a Thai barbershop to get a haircut and there's no price posted do you think that it's free?

• Like 2

As long as officials want to be "tipped" (aka bribed) just to do their job properly Thailand will still just be a third-world country masquerading as something better.

I find it astonishing that the provision of residence certificates does not have an official price list that is respected by all. After all, at Jomtien there is an entire desk, office and numbering system devoted entirely to providing these letters. They also have a deep drawer full of banknotes for which receipts have not been given. Totally shameful.

It's worth pointing out that your local police station or town hall is also competent to issue this letter, though many of them may be unaware of it.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1

I love the one Phrase shameful to who You I do not think the Thais feel tht way. I believe they use this money to cover office parties and other extras. I have no problem paying it as I do not want to pay 50 dollars at US Embassy, now thats a real rip off.

Keep on feeling shameful, and thinking your one act of defiance will change Thailand and we will find you back here next year complaining about the same old stuff.

• Like 1