Possible changes to 90 day reporting?

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere else on TV...if it's a duplicate, apologies. Granted, the statement is in the context of work permits but perhaps there's hope:

Dec. 16—Thai work permits will become easier to obtain, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told a Dec. 2 luncheon of the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Bangkok.
“We are going to see how we can improve the situation,” the prime minister said.
The government is aware that changes to the current process and especially to its tight reporting requirements are necessary if the goal of bringing more international headquarters to the South East Asian nation is to be achieved, Deputy Prime Minister M.R. Pridiyathon Devakula told the luncheon.
“We are making the first move already,” Devakula said, noting that the current limited term of work permits will be significantly extended.
“It won't be a 90 days visa,” the deputy prime minister said. “It will be two years.”
In addition, the requirement that permit holders report to the government every 90 days will be dropped, and those reports required may be made by email or letter, ending the need to report in person.
Other reforms are in the pipeline, although Devakula was not yet ready to discuss them.
“Please wait for my second move in a month or two's time,” he told the luncheon.
  • Like 1

About the 2 years Work Permit, it's already a reality;

A french friend of mine has it since a few months already ; Sakon_Nakhon province;

he obtains it in october or november this year .

About the 90 days report, I don't know if it will disappear ;

my friend is on holidays outside Thailand, I will ask him when coming back .

I would like it disappear also for the O " thai-wife " or make it easier for those like me who are living far from the province capital .

Why not going to the closest main police station ?

• Like 1

Any relaxation of the 90-day address reporting requirement would only likely apply to holders of 2-year work permits as I understand from the article referred to in the OP. So no change for us non-immigrants with "O" or "O-A" visas or subsequent annual extensions of stay as I see it then.

While the introduction of some facility for submitting 90-day reports electronically might sound welcome in principle, this would, I think, be dependent on the ability of the Immigration Bureau to devise a suitably secure website (prefixed https) for this purpose, which personally I would question. I would not want details of any 90-day reports which I might wish to submit electronically (and which would probably have to include passport details and possibly other sensitive personal information) to be accessible by every Tom, Dick and Harry across this great planet of ours with internet access.

And, contrary to the impression given in the article, the submission of 90-day reports by snail mail would, of course, be nothing new - except for those offices such as Chiang Mai which currently forbid this method of reporting.

Edited by OJAS

I been living here 30+ years and years ago we never had to do 90-day reporting, then some years ago all of a sudden we were ordered to do the 90-day reporting. At first some of us thought it was some new law but then we found out it was in fact an old law that had been relaxed and then they started enforcing it again.

Been 90 days for at least the last 20 years.

• Like 1

90 day reports couldn't be easier, did mine today arrived just after 8 and was the only one there along with one immigration lady, she asked what I wanted, 90 day report, sit down and give passport.

Scan the old bit of paper without even looking at the passport, check the screen, the printer printed out a form which she signed and stamped, tore the bottom piece off and stapled it in my passport, thank you very much out the door before opening time.

• Like 1

A french friend of mine has it since a few months already ; Sakon_Nakhon province;

I would like it disappear also for the O " thai-wife " or make it easier for those like me who are living far from the province capital .

I've just renewed my WP and requested the 2 year version. I was told that only the staff of companies with more than 20 Million in paid up capital are eligible.

• Like 1

I've just renewed my WP and requested the 2 year version. I was told that only the staff of companies with more than 20 Million in paid up capital are eligible.

20 M TB that is. The firm I work for is too small to qualify.

If you report to the same place at immigration in the countryside i think they learn to know you'

Sometimes there are new officers but mostly on the 90 day reports the officers who have been there awhile and know you do the documents well call u over, get their coffee money and piss you off after giving you your paper.

I hear all these stories about Chiang Mia ...does that not need a complaint sent to His Happiness to sort out that bitchiness that seems apparent there?

Regards

90 day reports couldn't be easier, did mine today arrived just after 8 and was the only one there along with one immigration lady, she asked what I wanted, 90 day report, sit down and give passport.

Scan the old bit of paper without even looking at the passport, check the screen, the printer printed out a form which she signed and stamped, tore the bottom piece off and stapled it in my passport, thank you very much out the door before opening time.

Similar for me at Phitsanulok a few weeks back, went into have marriage extension finalised, handed over passport - extension stamp entered signed etc along with a re-entry and was thinking about the 90 day report due in another 3 weeks - while thinking about it, my passport was rescanned and next thing I see is a new 90 day slip being stapled into my passport. This was also started before opening time and all finalised by 08.45.

Top marks for great service.

There is no such official rule, only a local policy. I even know some teachers who have been offered the 2 year WP by the local labour office. They didn't even have to ask for it.

And, contrary to the impression given in the article, the submission of 90-day reports by snail mail would, of course, be nothing new - except for those offices such as Chiang Mai which currently forbid this method of reporting.

I do my 90 day reporting by mail in Chiang Mai. They actually encourage it now.

• Like 1

Even if its been discussed, its already a step in the right direction.

I can only hope, government will go a step further and abolish and silly work permits, but issue working visa's which allows people to work without having to jump through hoops of employing thai staff etc etc etc.

Of course for business owner, i would be employing Thai staff, after all who else would be dealing with thai customers.

Also for those of us with WP, its rather silly to have to report every 90 days, considering WP is fixed to 1 place of work, so pretty pointless, unless one changes jobs or company changes address.

I agree fully it is very easy, but only if you live very close to the immigration office, but if you live a 180 km roundtrip from the immigration office and they don't accept mail in reports then you don't think it's easy.

Respect

:wai:

• Like 1

I read that in the news but did not take it seriously.

To do away 90 day reports requires a change to the immigration act of 1979 and cannot foresee that happening anytime soon.

I think you will agree that, It seems to point to mail in reporting as the alternate

If you report to the same place at immigration in the countryside i think they learn to know you'

Sometimes there are new officers but mostly on the 90 day reports the officers who have been there awhile and know you do the documents well call u over, get their coffee money and piss you off after giving you your paper.

I hear all these stories about Chiang Mia ...does that not need a complaint sent to His Happiness to sort out that bitchiness that seems apparent there?

Regards

You hear stories about CM there is no problem there except to many people wanting services, considering that the level of man power hasn't been raised in a while they do a good job. By the way do not spread second hand rumors.

• Like 1

While they're at it, they might re-introduce the FARANG Health Care arrangements that only lasted for a year.

Considering how much MONEY we Long Term, long suffering Ferang contribute to the Thai Economy every day, it would be a way for the Thai Treasury to show its appreciation.

This is exactly what I thought on reading the OP.

It is only going to be those running or working for the big companies that maybe given the privilege of 90 day reporting exception. As for the rest of us peasants, I wouldn`t hold your breaths on this one.

The 90-day report is a disgrace, TBH.

I had to pay the 2,000-baht fine earlier this month for something I was not made aware of (by my employer or the immigration). I got my second visa in Sep (I have a work permit) and presumed that it would be like the first time where you do the report 90 days after you get the visa. My 90-day report was due for 15 Sep and I got the new visa in the first week of Sep. I went to do my 90-day report in the first week of Dec and was told that I was supposed to do my report in Sep itself, that the new visa does not mean that I have reported to immigration (despite the fact that I had to be present in person to get the visa).

On top of that, while the lady at the first counter, who explained the rule to me, was polite and courteous, the lady at the 90-day report counter was not. She basically laughed at me, saying something to her colleagues in Thai, when I tried to explain what had happened, and why I was late.

I know I should have read the rules, I presume they are written somewhere, and I know that I should learn Thai (my work leaves me little time for that), but laughing at my face is not very professional, in my opinion.

Sounds too good to be true!

Once that is implemented, quite a number of the PM's detractors will suddenly swivel around 180 degrees and hail how great he is - self-interest and all that stuff. Well, those that have a job or a business - we'll quickly figure out which don't, then ;-)

whistling.gif Before the political problems last year (demonstrations and CW immigration closed for a long period) CW was going to use a systems for 90 reporting that would allow you to make an appointment on line for a 90 day reporting.

Then, at least in theory, you would dhow up with your passport, and a scheduled appointment slip, and avoid waiting in the queue for the 90 day reporting stamp.

It sounded like a good idea, but it was scuttled by all the demonstrations and such.

The question is: Have you heard anything about re-starting this on-line appointment system, or is it dead now?