Mossfinn

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cambridge 2 Oxford 1

It doesn't look like we're going to blast out of the traps in the same way we did last season.

Why worry....you ended the season awfully....a surge from mid table at Christmas can get you up.

Its FAR FAR too early for predictions like this, and remember it was not that long ago that Cambridge were in the Football League..I think they only went down the season before you did.

Jai yen yen

I'm not worried; I'm just saying that we had a flying start last season, but that it doesn't seem likely this time round given our first two results. Last season Dagenham certainly proved the old cliche that it's a race not a sprint, so I certainly agree with you.

Having said that, you'd have to forgive any Oxford fan for being a little pessimistic about his team!

Getting my car on Wednesday. Busy over the Bank Holiday. Getting dragged along to Reading- West Ham on the !st of Sept. But then my son and I will be over to watch the U's.

Football matches, Red Stripe, proper TV, 5 Live. It ain't so bad being back!

Mods, doesn't this thread belong in the bin? Errr ... I mean in the lower league thread? :o

Seriously though I miss the old Manor Ground. It reminded me of playing subbuteo when I was young. Plastic stands all around the pitch just waiting to collapse. I still hate my brother for crawling on the pitch and in the process decapitating half my Brazilian team. My Sunderland team lots most of its legs too.

:D

:D

Mods, doesn't this thread belong in the bin? Errr ... I mean in the lower league thread? :D

Seriously though I miss the old Manor Ground. It reminded me of playing subbuteo when I was young. Plastic stands all around the pitch just waiting to collapse. I still hate my brother for crawling on the pitch and in the process decapitating half my Brazilian team. My Sunderland team lots most of its legs too.

Dear me. Cheered up now have we. One Swallow does make a summer.

Always reminds me of their great Chairman who used to like pension fund investments. :o

Cap't Bob, MC.

It's a shame that for all his money, that he couldn't afford a pair of swimming armbands or a rubber ring.

He was wearing them, unfortunately one Mossad Agent had the rubber ring around his neck and the other Agent was force feeding him the arm bands.

Allegedly!

Anyway I thought I saw him serving BigMacs at Macdonalds last week.

Moss

Getting my car on Wednesday. Busy over the Bank Holiday. Getting dragged along to Reading- West Ham on the !st of Sept. But then my son and I will be over to watch the U's.

Football matches, Red Stripe, proper TV, 5 Live. It ain't so bad being back!

DRAGGED ALONG TO WATCH READING :D

If the game is anything like last years you will be in for a treat :o

TP

I don't imagine it'll be that score again, unless they rebound from the Bolton game in a big way. I'll be cheering them on though.

You are right toasted..we caught them when things could not be much worse for them.

We will do well to win by a small margin this time.

BTW..well done the Yellows on back to back wins :o

From today's Telegraph:

Favourites Draw A Blank

Stevenage Borough 0

Oxford United 0

The joint pre-season favourites for promotion set the standard as they battled out a thrilling 0-0 draw at Broadhall Way last night in front of a crowd of 3,024.

Afternoon draws for Cambridge United, Torquay United and Exeter City gave both sides the added incentive of finishing the game as league leaders, but two superb saves from Oxford goalkeeper Billy Turley kept the home side at bay as Borough threatened to tear the former league club apart.

Stevenage captain Ronnie Henry had a shot cleared off the line by Eddie Anaclet in the first minute prior to Turley saving from Steve Morison's powerful header after a great cross from John Nutter.

United improved dramatically after the break as the pace of Yemi Odubade tested Mark Arber and Henry.

Arber, in particular, made a couple of brilliant tackles inside the penalty area as Jim Smith's side grew in confidence. Morison, having had two more efforts thwarted by Turley, had a shot cleared off the line by Anaclet in the 70th minute, then unaccountably missed the rebound.

Craig Dobson, lively on Stevenage's right, brought another fine save from Turley before Oxford's Rob Duffy missed a great chance to seal the points when firing wide in the final minute.

Stevenage manager Mark Stimson said; "Overall I am delighted with the performance, but I thought we were the better side, particularly in the first half, and had it not been for Turley we would have won it comfortably".

Oxford United (3-5-2): Turley, Quinn, Coccoran, Day, Anaclet (Gnohere 90), Pettefer, Hutchinson, Jeanin, Trainer (Rose 76), Odubade, Twigg (Duffy 28). Subs: Tardif,Standing

Well done Turley!! A draw away is a good result.

No prizes for guessing Gnohere's nickname in the changing rooms. :o