Suspected Belarussian skimmer gang members arrested in Phuket

webfact

Thanks <deleted>. Wasted 3 hours of Xmas day sorting out a new card.

Hope you get aids in jail.

Yes, Happy Christmas to you too!

I see the spirit of Christmas is live and well with TV members!

Agree I too hope they get aids in the slammer.

Paul955 farang/Falang means a foreigner

From Wikipedia:- Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".[1]

Edmund Roberts, US envoy in 1833, defined the term as "Frank (or European)."[2] People of mixed African-European descent were called farang dam(Thai: ฝรั่งดำ; 'black farang') to distinguish them from white people. This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States military maintained bases in Thailand.

So a Belarusian is a "Farang" and is also a "Caucasian"

Thats rubbish^^^

I feel compelled to answer this even though its off topic, and I am in no means a linguist of the Thai language

Farang Dam just doesnt exist in Thai language. It would be Farang Piw See Dam...farang skin color black. Dam on its own means nothing.

Thai's say Nicro for blacks, as in Negro. For Burmese people they say Pama, for Cambodians they say Camboche (as in the old name for the country). For Japanese its Yipoon. For Chinese its Jin. For Koreans its Gowlee. For Indians they say 'Pi Kai Tua' Which is a derogitory term for a thing that sells peanuts (as the indians sell peanuts in isaarn and the Thais hate them).

Another word for black or dark people is Yahm, which means watchman or security guard. This is because security guards are almost always darker colored Thais. Thais are quite racist towards black people, even from their own country. Dark women from Sakonokorn and Ubon are considered quite low class.

For all the other South East Asian countries its respective to their country. Vietnam = Wietnam

Farang is for white Europeans and North Americans and White brits and Aussies ect.

So getting back to the OP. These people committing the crimes are farangs/falangs and they are scumbags. I cant beleive how much of this card skimming crap goes on in Phuket. Poorly placed ATMs are the main problem. Having a ATM next to a Tuk Tuk stand on Kata beach is hardly ideal

"These people committing the crimes are farangs" - "Poorly placed ATMs are the main problem" - I thought a "farang" was an ATM. biggrin.png

Another Tourist Man = ATM biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Are you saying that the whole quote from Wikipedia is rubbish?

No but anyone who relies on it solely for accurate, agenda free information is an idiot.

From my earlier post - did you read it?

"OK - From Wikipedia (Not always 100% correct, but in this case I think they are!)"

• Caucasian race (also, "Caucasoid"), a racial classification of human beings used in racial typology

So, can I please have an apology from you for inferring that I am "an idiot"?

• 4 weeks later...