Bueng Kan immigration office refused my retirement extension

This is why I and I think many retirees use the 800,000 in the bank. As much as they might like to, they just cannot refute that income qualification.

It sounds to me like the "big boss" at your immigration office has a burr up his butt about falang or he is trying to show his power by puffing up his chest to show you who is boss or as someone else said he is looking for a bribe. Unfortunately, in Thailand they can get away with this especially in an office where they see very few falang. It might be worth complaining to the NCPO.

If you can afford it, your best bet, to avoid this crap in the future, is to move 800,000 into your bank 3 months prior to your extension renewal.

And as UbonJoe said you can setup a BKK Bank account. Since they are the only bank in Thailand with a branch in America (NYC) you can transfer money from your American bank to the BKK Branch in NYC into your BKK account. This is how you should go about getting your money anyway. Personally I do electronic wire transfers and keep my account at 800,000 for 3 months prior. Taking it out of an ATM with all the associated fees is not very practical if I understand you correctly.

Charles Schwab Bank refunds all ATM fees at the end of each month, so no fees doing it that way. I do have the BKK Bank NY arrangement set up for transfers. I will make adjustments to my money movement in the future to hopefully satisfy Thai Immigration, but this silliness with Bueng Kan immigration was unexpected.

Stories like this remind me again and again that the proof of income requirements has become so ridiculous I recommend anyone - if they are able - to just go the money in the bank option. Of course, then immigration will still want to interrogate you and try to find another reason to refuse the extension request, but it's a lot less paperwork and running around.

Having a total over 330,000 baht in Thai banks causes extra paperwork for American citizens. Must file forms or whatever with the US government because we then become suspects because we have over ten thousand US dollars overseas.

• Like 2

Charles Schwab Bank refunds all ATM fees at the end of each month, so no fees doing it that way. I do have the BKK Bank NY arrangement set up for transfers. I will make adjustments to my money movement in the future to hopefully satisfy Thai Immigration, but this silliness with Bueng Kan immigration was unexpected.

I suspect you had a case of an immigration officer not accustomed to handling extensions with an income affidavit and/or one like yours where you had been here on a OA visa.

Since you have some time before you have to leave or get an extension i suggest you try again for the extension.

Organize all your ATM transfers and put them on list with a grand total and make copies of your transfers to your bank account highlighting them on them on the copies. Also make a transfer to your account in the amount of 65K baht or more.

Also try to explain to him that you did not understand the requirements.

It would help to have your marriage certificate and copies of your wife's house book and ID card attached to the application. Even a letter from your wife might help.

Stories like this remind me again and again that the proof of income requirements has become so ridiculous I recommend anyone - if they are able - to just go the money in the bank option. Of course, then immigration will still want to interrogate you and try to find another reason to refuse the extension request, but it's a lot less paperwork and running around.

Not everyone wants to risk that kind of money in a Thai Bank. If something happens hard as hell to return it to your home country. Besides one report from a small immigration office in the sticks doesn't make it a problem for others. What you have here is one office making up the rules as they go along.

I wonder where you see the risk of keeping 800k baht in a Thai bank, do you think the bank will go bust or somehow a Govt will freeze all accounts ?

No trouble to get the money out an account be it a savings account or a term deposit in an emergency.

You will have a daily limit you can withdraw from a savings account which you can set yourself, mine is 200k and you can get a term deposit at any time but you will lose the interest and depending on the bank may have to pay a fee.

I keep my 800k on term deposit because it suites me and have another account for everyday use.

If you wish you can have the 800k in a savings account then after visa extension use it for everyday spending as long as you top up 3 months before the next extension date and season the money.

Doing it that way you only have the 800k or more in the account for 3 months of the year, the other 9 it becomes progressively less as you spend.

Assuming your not going to spend more than that in a year then it also means you only have to do a transfer once a year and can keep incoming money in overseas accounts.

• Like 1

Once the "boss" makes his decision he will never reverse that decision ... no matter how much he's convinced later that he made a mistake. To admit his error in front of his subordinates is to lose face ... and he can NEVER do that.

• Like 2

I wonder where you see the risk of keeping 800k baht in a Thai bank, do you think the bank will go bust or somehow a Govt will freeze all accounts ?

Based on bitter personal experience the risk for me is that, thanks to lax security procedures followed by the banking industry here in Thailand, some fraudster will be able to clone your ATM card with considerable ease and then use the cloned card to relieve your account of considerable sums of money. I have had 2 separate accounts with separate banks relieved of over 50,000 THB in this way.

Had I been relying on the bank balance method of providing finances and fraudsters had struck during the seasoning period causing the balance to fall below the crucial 800,000 THB minimum, it follows that I would have found myself right up the creek at retirement extension of stay time. That is why I have opted to prove my finances on the basis of 65,000 THB minimum monthly income as confirmed by an Embassy letter, instead, which has not (to date at any rate) led to any problems with Immigration in my case at least.

• Like 1

I suspect you had a case of an immigration officer not accustomed to handling extensions with an income affidavit and/or one like yours where you had been here on a OA visa.

Since you have some time before you have to leave or get an extension i suggest you try again for the extension.

Organize all your ATM transfers and put them on list with a grand total and make copies of your transfers to your bank account highlighting them on them on the copies. Also make a transfer to your account in the amount of 65K baht or more.

Also try to explain to him that you did not understand the requirements.

It would help to have your marriage certificate and copies of your wife's house book and ID card attached to the application. Even a letter from your wife might help.

Thanks, Joe. I may try again with very explicit paperwork and highlighting as you have suggested. I should at least call my friendly immigration officer that I usually deal with and ask him if it would even be possible to try again. They have already applied a large red ink stamp in my passport that says that my application for extension has been denied.

It's kind of a big slap-in-the-face after being married to a Thai from this area of Thailand for over 38 years and having a house here for 20 years already and then having immigration suddenly telling me I have to leave in a few weeks. It's not an experience that I would enjoy having again.

The only amusing part of this was when one of the other officers quietly asked me to go complain on the internet.

• Like 1

How close are you to Sakhon Nakhon, I did my retirement extension there, I had an income letter from the Canadian Embassy, no ATM slips or proof of income coming into the country. They are very good at this office and everything is quick. Just don't expect change from your two thousand baht.

Time and time again I hear these ,"Horror" stories of immigration. Folks being here for years then suddenly one day some jerk off decides he just doesn't like the color of your shirt, so BAM goes the stamp, "LEAVE THE COUNTRY". Guys worrying about 800k in a bank, where they live vs where they apply, etc. ,etc.

My only comment, "Get A Fixer"!!!! My time and assurance of getting my extention every year, is worth the extra bucks to let someone else do it for me.

I do have one advantage i still travel out of the country during the 90 day period, so no reporting in every 90 days. But other than that, I have never walked into an immigration office, well maybe once, but along time ago.

• Like 2

This is why I and I think many retirees use the 800,000 in the bank. As much as they might like to, they just cannot refute that income qualification.

It sounds to me like the "big boss" at your immigration office has a burr up his butt about falang or he is trying to show his power by puffing up his chest to show you who is boss or as someone else said he is looking for a bribe. Unfortunately, in Thailand they can get away with this especially in an office where they see very few falang. It might be worth complaining to the NCPO.

If you can afford it, your best bet, to avoid this crap in the future, is to move 800,000 into your bank 3 months prior to your extension renewal.

And as UbonJoe said you can setup a BKK Bank account. Since they are the only bank in Thailand with a branch in America (NYC) you can transfer money from your American bank to the BKK Branch in NYC into your BKK account. This is how you should go about getting your money anyway. Personally I do electronic wire transfers and keep my account at 800,000 for 3 months prior. Taking it out of an ATM with all the associated fees is not very practical if I understand you correctly.

What's with this Bangkok Bank fetish on T-V anyways? Any Thai bank is fine and using the SWIFT system to transfer money is the same cost or less than BB's network and usually faster.

Based on bitter personal experience the risk for me is that, thanks to lax security procedures followed by the banking industry here in Thailand, some fraudster will be able to clone your ATM card with considerable ease and then use the cloned card to relieve your account of considerable sums of money. I have had 2 separate accounts with separate banks relieved of over 50,000 THB in this way.

Had I been relying on the bank balance method of providing finances and fraudsters had struck during the seasoning period causing the balance to fall below the crucial 800,000 THB minimum, it follows that I would have found myself right up the creek at retirement extension of stay time. That is why I have opted to prove my finances on the basis of 65,000 THB minimum monthly income as confirmed by an Embassy letter, instead, which has not (to date at any rate) led to any problems with Immigration in my case at least.

It is precisely for the reason you describe above that it is recommended that you keep your 800K in a savings account (preferably one that earns interest) that does NOT have an ATM card associated with the account. If you need to tap into this savings, for whatever reason, just pop into the bank and make a withdrawal in person.

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 2

how long have you guys been in thailand .... ?

open your eyes .... the ' big boss ' just wanted some palm greasing .....

if you had of thought about it ... and responded in a positive way I believe you would have gotten the ok ....

Anyway , can't change that now ... but it's gonna cost more now than what the ' good gesture ' would have cost to get on his good side .... remember , he is the boss and what he says goes .. whether you or I agree with it .

The Thai Visa Elite card is best .... no hassles, no queuing, ..... coffee1.gif new bigger one coming in July I believe .. :)

Time and time again I hear these ,"Horror" stories of immigration. Folks being here for years then suddenly one day some jerk off decides he just doesn't like the color of your shirt, so BAM goes the stamp, "LEAVE THE COUNTRY". Guys worrying about 800k in a bank, where they live vs where they apply, etc. ,etc.

My only comment, "Get A Fixer"!!!! My time and assurance of getting my extention every year, is worth the extra bucks to let someone else do it for me.

I do have one advantage i still travel out of the country during the 90 day period, so no reporting in every 90 days. But other than that, I have never walked into an immigration office, well maybe once, but along time ago.

Absolutely. Once upon a time an employer screwed up my WP application and I ended up on overstay for a while. The details are complicated, but in a nutshell the admin lady had a kind of breakdown and royally screwed my life up. My employer suggested I talk to the cops (on overstay minus a passport...yeah rightlaugh.png ). Called well known law firm in BKK and got a 'fixer'. The upshot? Found my passport, smoothed over my overstay with the cops (employer paid that fee) and sorted a new visa and permit.

Sounds like they are cracking down on pensioners now. If you want to stay in Thailand, then get a fixer. That 15k or so fee may be a pain, but it's better than being told to bugger off after 30 years living in Thailand with your wife and kids (a disgrace and massive human rights violation in my opinion).

The other option of course is not to outstay your welcome. Other countries will be quite happy to take your money. Good luck for 2015. In future, maybe some may not be so quick in their support of a nationalist takeover of the country they live in..as a foreigner.

Edited by Fatty123
  • Like 1

Having a total over 330,000 baht in Thai banks causes extra paperwork for American citizens. Must file forms or whatever with the US government because we then become suspects because we have over ten thousand US dollars overseas.

No, we U.S. citizens don't become "suspects" because we have over $10,000 in overseas accounts. You've been watching too much Fox News. Just fill out the FBAR form and be done with it. It takes less time than complaining about it. You're not going to be taxed on the money you're holding overseas, after all.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

What's with this Bangkok Bank fetish on T-V anyways? Any Thai bank is fine and using the SWIFT system to transfer money is the same cost or less than BB's network and usually faster.
The "fetish" with Bangkok Bank is because it's the only Thai bank approved for direct deposit of U.S. gov't payments like Social Security and Veterans Affairs pensions. Also, since it has a commercial branch in NYC, you can do ACH transfers as if it's a U.S. bank -- and not use the SWIFT system.

I can do an inter-bank transfer into my local Bankgok Bank account from my U.S. credit union account using on-line banking for just a few dollars and the funds show up in my B.B. account in few hours. I can't do this with any other Thai bank. I wouldn't call this a fetish. I'd call it the a reasonable banking choice for many U.S. citizens living in Thailand.

It might be reasonable if their service in Thailand didn't suck and there atms weren't always offline. It's just as easy to direct deposit into any USA bank and SWIFT transfer money to any Thai bank. Fees are the same or cheaper and take half a day to a couple days.

Since extension is available on the basis of income and that is what is desired by the OP and others, those who are wedded to the deposit pathway should resist the temptation to push the thread in that direction. Let's keep to the story as to whether the OP should return to the immigration office at all or look to an alternative office to effect his application. As I see it, his current office, instead of just returning the application form has put the boot in by entering the refusal red stamp. That is the appalling part of the story. The question is whether another office will process an application after seeing that stamp.

• Like 2

It might be reasonable if their service in Thailand didn't suck and there atms weren't always offline. It's just as easy to direct deposit into any USA bank and SWIFT transfer money to any Thai bank. Fees are the same or cheaper and take half a day to a couple days.

I have never had a problem with Bangkok bank. One ATM being broken is not a problem you can use any ATM machine.

You need to check the numbers before saying that swift transfers are cheaper. They certainly are not any quicker.

It costs me $5 for NY and 200 baht here to have SS payments deposited in my account.

• Like 2

I have never had a problem with Bangkok bank. One ATM being broken is not a problem you can use any ATM machine.

You need to check the numbers before saying that swift transfers are cheaper. They certainly are not any quicker.

It costs me $5 for NY and 200 baht here to have SS payments deposited in my account.

I agree with you Ubonjoe. I have never had any problem with Bangkok Bank. It costs me absolutely $0.00 to transfer money from my bank in the USA to my BKK Bank account in NYC. It takes exactly one day for me to see my funds here. Great service and definitely not a "fetish".

Question Ubonjoe: have you heard of any problems like the OP has with immigration in Sisaket? I have the same problem with Phibun immigration as the OP has at Bueng Kan.

Thanks,

Doug

• Like 1

I agree with you Ubonjoe. I have never had any problem with Bangkok Bank. It costs me absolutely $0.00 to transfer money from my bank in the USA to my BKK Bank account in NYC. It takes exactly one day for me to see my funds here. Great service and definitely not a "fetish".

Question Ubonjoe: have you heard of any problems like the OP has with immigration in Sisaket? I have the same problem with Phibun immigration as the OP has at Bueng Kan.

Thanks,

Doug

What problem are you having with Phibun. I have been using an income affidavit there for all my extensions and never been asked for back up proof for it there. My most recent one was in August.

I have not seen any reports of Sisaket being a problem.

Dear Issanman - I also attended Immigration this week for my OA (retirement) extension - the 29th, a day before my 90 day report was due. My actual visa expiry date being 13 January. It was my fourth extension and, as always, I was accompanied by my wife. I had my notarized income document, obtained at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok earlier in the week. My wife had her blue book. Note that I am always polite, deferential, well dressed etc. The officer dealing with my case I have dealt with before. Known to be a bit gruff but previously reasonable .Also, on our arrival at 1 pm we were the sole clients present.

Without a doubt, extension approvals have become harsher and that translates into evidence of income.

Previously the affadavit was accepted straight up - not now. Being forewarned I also had my SCB passbook. Please note that by choice I have not opted for the 800 grand in the bank approach - I receive much higher interest rates in Australia. Anyway, after scrutinizing the affadavit he said through my wife "prove it". Passbook presented, large numbers of deposits covering a 12 month period (and even more withdrawals, alas!). He perused the passbook, and according to my wife, muttered "letter from bank". Frankly I felt he was surprised and caught short by such clear evidence of regular income. The amounts clearly exceeding the minimum monthly requirement. He then marked pages of my passport he wanted photocopied, bankbook etc. This required a drive up the road to find a copying source - non on the premises for public use. On return I signed all docs and he then produced, in English and another in Thai, another form I had never seen before. Can't recall the heading specifically but related to 'Evidence of Income' for the future. He bundled all the documents together and they disappeared to another room. By this time it was 2 pm. We were told to sit aside.

At 3pm, my passport was returned to me having, no doubt, been sitting on the boss-woman's desk awaiting her signature. I say her because she who handed me my passport had 3 pips (captain I guess). Extension approved until 13 January 2016.

I hope this may prepare some of you folk out what they may expect when they next apply for an extension. Happy New Year to all.

Yeah, Thailand is extremely good at throwing us falang "unexpected" changes. You quickly come to expect them. You just never have a clue as to what form the change will take. As long as the little Kings running all their little Kingdoms in all the government offices throughout the country choose to interpret the rules anyway they see fit, we will get these unexpected hiccups. (They do follow the rules pretty well in Jomtien, thank goodness I live here).

I would seriously, consider the 800,000-in-the-bank-for-3-months -- solution. You only need to have it there for 3 months and then you can do anything you want with it until 3 months before your next extension. You also do not have to take the time to get a letter from an embassy charging ridiculous prices for a stupid letter that your immigration boss is completely dismissing.

I'm speaking from 15 years of experience of Thai banking. Yeah, when I first got here I, like most farangs then, opened a BB account because supposedly they were more farang friendly at the time and gave interest on foreign accounts. However, I have always found their counter service to be poor and if I'm in an office or mall facing a bank of ATM machines, it's inevitably the BB one that's offline. Sure I can use any machine but should I have to pay 20 baht just because BB can't keep their ATMs in service?

As to BB having a US branch and making direct deposits and transfers easier and cheaper, I'm not sold. If it works for some fine. I'm just saying the default answer on T-V is to recommend BB (for Americans at least) to expats transferring money to Thailand and I'm just saying there are other options and factors to consider.

Just about all USA banks process SWIFT transfers, which can be done with a few clicks of a mouse, and the money will be in any Thai bank within a day or two (business days).

Thanks,

Doug

Banks do anything for free. Unless you are a high net worth account, your transfers are costing you money...probably getting a bad exchange rate or worse, they're doing the currency exchange from dollars to baht in NYC and not Thailand.

I'm finding this requirement of actually bringing 65,000 baht/month into the Kingdom troubling and hope it doesn't become a country-wide requirement. In our case, I maintain a 800,000 baht BB account for my retirement visa, so not problem. Well, once they did ask where the money comes from for living expenses since I never touch that money, but I just showed our joint Bangkok Bank passbook and they didn't even study it -- just took my word that my husband's pension is adequate to support both of us.

But, in truth not all of Hubby's pension income is deposited at Bangkok Bank. Some is deposited in U.S. and we pay some expenses with our U.S. credit cards, including some Thai expenses like Tops, Rim Ping, department stores, airlines, hotels. Our U.S. credit union has low currency exchange fees and U.S. credit cards have more protection for consumers than Thai credit cards. But, the pension money used to pay those credit card bills never comes into Thailand, even though the purchases originated in Thailand.

Hubby's combined pension income is definitely more than 65,000 baht/month and he's definitely spending more than that each month in Thailand, but the proof of that is a convoluted. I really don't want to have to start paying cash at all the places we now use a credit card.

Banks do anything for free. Unless you are a high net worth account, your transfers are costing you money...probably getting a bad exchange rate or worse, they're doing the currency exchange from dollars to baht in NYC and not Thailand.

The money comes into here as dollars. I get the same exchange rate as all other international transfers get.

We are not talking SWIFT transfers when recommending Bangkok Bank. They are domestic ACH transfers so most US banks can do them free of charge - so the only fee is the Bangkok Bank New York charge for service (free to $10 for most) and the normal 1/4% in range of 200-500 baht at Thai end. Exchange rate is the full normal rate so nothing is being lost.

So if you can do bank SWIFT for $10 or less and get full exchange rate go for it.

Have there not been some reports (posts) of retirement extension applicants being asked / made to sign paperwork that indicates that they will have to bring in to Thailand the 65K per month for their next extension?

Obviously this is for the applicants that use an Embassy affidavit / letter.

Have there not been some reports (posts) of retirement extension applicants being asked / made to sign paperwork that indicates that they will have to bring in to Thailand the 65K per month for their next extension?

Obviously this is for the applicants that use an Embassy affidavit / letter.

Only Nong Kai immigration has been reported as doing that. They are way outside the written rules by doing that.