Searched By Police... Is This Normal?

JCCR6

Just like it is in other country's, the Police probably had a crime go down and was given a description of the perp. You might have matched the description..who knows. Seeing you aren't privy to their police radio conversation you weren't aware of it. Best advice, just go along with it. It happens al the time. You were just in the wrong place at the right time.

I been pulled over in aussie land many times and had my car searched, some cops are pricks anywhere you go, Ive had a fine because i had a screw driver in the car, apparently it is a weapon (but i won in court and got it reversed) also ive had my license taken off me because he said it was fake.

The point is police always search people for things, most are good and wont bother you much, some might not just like you and start sh2t with you.

A cop has also tried to fine me for jaywalking lol.

that's bad.. once I was inside a club and the came in to make drug test to everyone.. it was 3 am and I was still inside waiting to make the test.. :S

until my friend come with a very crazy idea and we went away from the place.. (the rest of my friends where there until 4:30 AM ) really really unfair!

Umm dont ever let them put their hand on you or your belongs!! no way!!! ... dont trusth, not even in your shadow here.

:o!

I remember coming back from Koh Samet and the Thai police in Bangkok were searching this young guy and he was asking why only me. He had about 10 pot leaf badges/stickers on his backpack and one on his hat with dreads and scruffy would have been a nice way to put his apperence.

I am not saying he deserved it but he sure was asking to be checked in my opinion.

I have never been stopped and I hope it never happens.

And I thought by Thai law that one must always carry their passport on their person and a copy would not be valid proof and you could be detained till you provided your real passport if the police wanted :D .

never ceases to amaze me, the dudes with the dreads and mull paraphernalia hanging all over them. :D

im sure that they need a good wash and a brain transplant getting around los looking like that. :D

ive just come from k lumpa and theres death for dada sign's all over the place and there's this dick wad and his scank girlfriend dressed up looking like a frigging drug factory. :o

they make me sick mate and need to have a good look at themselves. :D

any way,, what ever mate

Happened to me quite a few times in Bangkok.

Never carry drugs in your pocket - in your socks/shoes, hidden pockets, underpants is much safer.

Better still never carry drugs in Thailand.

well, not unless plenty of spare cashto pay the cops or you really want to make some new friends in the big house.

the going rate to pay your way out of a bust at the full moon party is 60,000 baht.

richest cops in thailand they say is on koh phan gan.

not hard to work that out with all the drug heads down there twisting off destroying thai culture.

they also make me sick mate as they have destroyed a beautiful place.

they ring there mom real quite when the cops nab them.

they need to learn respect mate.

cheers

I been pulled over in aussie land many times and had my car searched, some cops are pricks anywhere you go, Ive had a fine because i had a screw driver in the car, apparently it is a weapon (but i won in court and got it reversed) also ive had my license taken off me because he said it was fake.

The point is police always search people for things, most are good and wont bother you much, some might not just like you and start sh2t with you.

A cop has also tried to fine me for jaywalking lol.

cricky's donz, i recon those aussie cops are picking on you.

dont put up with that crap mate and good on you for pulling them on.

lucky bloody aussie aint corrupt like thailand as you be having a date with the big tiger.

cheers mate :o

that's bad.. once I was inside a club and the came in to make drug test to everyone.. it was 3 am and I was still inside waiting to make the test.. :S

until my friend come with a very crazy idea and we went away from the place.. (the rest of my friends where there until 4:30 AM ) really really unfair!

Umm dont ever let them put their hand on you or your belongs!! no way!!! ... dont trusth, not even in your shadow here.

:o!

look mate,

im hearing what your saying but can you please tell me how you are going to stop them touching you ?

jesus mate, you dont frig with the cops over here.

cheers

If you get caught in Thailand with drugs then its your own fault, pulling the "the police planted it on me" will do you no good either

Ok Mr "I'm so clever and I know everything about Thailand even though I don't live there"

The police here are well known to plant drugs on people, not that long ago there were warnings in the UK to watch out for customs officers / police at the airport handling your bags as they were planting drugs ready to pull you up while you walk through the customs lanes.

So how is it then, if a cop plants drugs on you, your own fault? You really need to grow up Donz

If you get caught in Thailand with drugs then its your own fault, pulling the "the police planted it on me" will do you no good either

Ok Mr "I'm so clever and I know everything about Thailand even though I don't live there"

The police here are well known to plant drugs on people, not that long ago there were warnings in the UK to watch out for customs officers / police at the airport handling your bags as they were planting drugs ready to pull you up while you walk through the customs lanes.

So how is it then, if a cop plants drugs on you, your own fault? You really need to grow up Donz

I hate to disagree with you. But Donz does not need to grow up. He has a Thai girlfriend who lives in Australia and that gives him the expertise to comment on all Thai females living in Thailand. He lives in Australia and that gives him the expertise to comment on Thai police. He is ha sip ha sip and that gives him the expertise to comment on luke krung (excuse my pronunciation) in Thailand.

Donz does not need to grow up. A person of his age living in Thailand would realize his expertise is flawed. Donz just needs to come to Thailand and live in the country that he is pretending expertise about.

Methinks a couple of years would do it for him. Of course he would need to live a couple of years in the seedy areas of sex tourism and a couple of years in the agricultural regions of Issan and a couple of years in the North because Thailand is not a homogenous country in fact at least three different countries. Throw in the muslim South and maybe four countries.

I find it difficult to understand how a person from the West would have any real understanding of what is Thailand is all about from such a limited experience in the country.

You are exactly right, 'kerryk', to say:

"Of course he would need to live a couple of years in the seedy areas of sex tourism and a couple of years in the agricultural regions of Issan and a couple of years in the North because Thailand is not a homogenous country in fact at least three different countries. Throw in the muslim South and maybe four countries."

We had a thread recently about "Thailand's friendly cops" in which many of us in the rural areas were describing a totally different relationship between us and the police of our host country.

But this isn't confined to Thailand. I notice a distinct difference in Britain between the civilised village coppers that I knew in rural Wales and the cynical city cops.

When I lived between Bradford and Leeds, I knew the Community Constable for an area of municipal housing that had big troubles, due to unemployment, basically. He was an excellent man, but very different from his colleagues in the traffic police in the same station.

I guess generalising about cops is like generalising about most things---fraught.

never ceases to amaze me, the dudes with the dreads and mull paraphernalia hanging all over them. blink.gif

im sure that they need a good wash and a brain transplant getting around los looking like that. ohmy.gif

ive just come from k lumpa and theres death for dada sign's all over the place and there's this dick wad and his scank girlfriend dressed up looking like a frigging drug factory. annoyed.gif

they make me sick mate and need to have a good look at themselves. cool.gif

Live and let live.

well, not unless plenty of spare cashto pay the cops or you really want to make some new friends in the big house.

the going rate to pay your way out of a bust at the full moon party is 60,000 baht.

not hard to work that out with all the drug heads down there twisting off destroying thai culture.

Really? I'm also annoyed that Koh Pan Ngan has turned out the way it has. I was there 14 years ago and it was only dopeheads there. BUT, if it weren't for these guys being adventurous and searching for new places, the country would still be unheard of for the beer-drinking plumber from Portsmouth, the alcoholic dentist from Adelaide, or the vodka drinking civil servant from Vermont.

I doubt if Doris and Bert from Blackpool would ever have found their beach, if it weren't for the type of people they moan about all the time.

Legalise drugs in Thailand, and the rest of the world, I say. BTW, I don't touch them, or the more harmful booze. :o

Edited by Neeranam

A friend of mine in Bangers was stopped near Khao San Road by the police who then instigated a search. Surprise! A big bag of drugs in his pocket (planted). They then took his money, passport and credit cards and told him to return to that spot in 48 hours with 50k or he would be under arrest.

Fortunately we knew a woman whose brother was a captain and my friend managed to ID the two policemen (who incidentaly beat a random Thai passerby unconcious in front of him as a warning). Nothing was done about the two bent coppers, but his possesions were returned and he made straight for the airport never to return.

That was last year. Best advice is to do your best to not let a policeman touch you. Insist on some tourist police being present, or call your girlfriend or something. My wife suggested that I undress myself in front of them if they insisted but to never let them touch me. Bit hard to do if you are 4 sheets to the wind though..... :o

never ceases to amaze me, the dudes with the dreads and mull paraphernalia hanging all over them. blink.gif

im sure that they need a good wash and a brain transplant getting around los looking like that. ohmy.gif

ive just come from k lumpa and theres death for dada sign's all over the place and there's this dick wad and his scank girlfriend dressed up looking like a frigging drug factory. annoyed.gif

they make me sick mate and need to have a good look at themselves. cool.gif

Live and let live.

Really? I'm also annoyed that Koh Pan Ngan has turned out the way it has. I was there 14 years ago and it was only dopeheads there. BUT, if it weren't for these guys being adventurous and searching for new places, the country would still be unheard of for the beer-drinking plumber from Portsmouth, the alcoholic dentist from Adelaide, or the vodka drinking civil servant from Vermont.

I doubt if Doris and Bert from Blackpool would ever have found their beach, if it weren't for the type of people they moan about all the time.

Legalise drugs in Thailand, and the rest of the world, I say. BTW, I don't touch them, or the more harmful booze. :D

yes thats a fact my good friend as i used to live on koh phan gan in 1987 at a place called tong nai pann.

tong nai pann is the next beach around from had rinn where the full moon party is.

now it was the most spectacular beach on koh phan gan and i just happen to find it before all the other punters and was one of the originals there.

i was in paradise and the thai people treated me like i was there son.

they loved me and i loved them more.

they liked me that much that they let me be a motor bike taxi guy and i started a small business there with the locals.

that was before i ended up on koh tao in 89 and started the second dive business there.

but mate thats another story mate, and i need to write a book as i have a million stories on thailand.

tong nai pann had just started business for farang when i lived there in 87 and i was there for 12 months.

i went once to had rinn and that was it for me as its not my thing .

i much prefered to hang with all my thai friends and sometimes we'd have some wacky tobaccy.

actually a heaps of times we smoked lots of wacky tobaccy so im no square head mate.

but it was for a giggle and we had heaps of fun.

now had rinn is like a big toilet with farang being disrespectful and i dont take to kindly to that as im a respectful fella.

tong nai pan is now destroyed because all the lunatics hang there till the party cranks up.

but every one to there own thing and they can have it to them selves as things always change as thats the nature of life.

but im telling you mate tong nai pann is still a drop dead lovely bay to look at.

just watch out for them fire twirling, ectasy taking, acid heads down there as they might bloody burn you when they are out of it.

cheers to all my top friends on the forum :o

ps. look you lot, when i write my book you guys are going to get it at a discount.

cheers :D

I hate to disagree with you. But Donz does not need to grow up. He has a Thai girlfriend who lives in Australia and that gives him the expertise to comment on all Thai females living in Thailand. He lives in Australia and that gives him the expertise to comment on Thai police. He is ha sip ha sip and that gives him the expertise to comment on luke krung (excuse my pronunciation) in Thailand.

Donz does not need to grow up. A person of his age living in Thailand would realize his expertise is flawed. Donz just needs to come to Thailand and live in the country that he is pretending expertise about.

Methinks a couple of years would do it for him. Of course he would need to live a couple of years in the seedy areas of sex tourism and a couple of years in the agricultural regions of Issan and a couple of years in the North because Thailand is not a homogenous country in fact at least three different countries. Throw in the muslim South and maybe four countries.

I find it difficult to understand how a person from the West would have any real understanding of what is Thailand is all about from such a limited experience in the country.

That indeed was my point kerryk, you just put so much more eloquently than me :D

Incidently I live and work here in Thailand, been here almost 2 years and also have a tgf for the last 18 months (met her at the office :o)

And meanwhile back to the point of the thread....

I used to live off Rama IV road, I know plenty of people who have been searched. Statistically, it's quite small, but the police, for whatever reasons, do so periodically. Like this guy, they seem to be looking for something in particular and they seem to be pretty business-like about it.

They also occasionally search apartment buildings, going into each foreigners apartment. Again, they are reasonably nice, ask a few questions, check that everyone is legal and do a very cursory search. A few people took it upon themselves to argue with them and they did a rather thorough search, including emptying all the drawers, bed turned over etc.

The point is, you really are best to comply with their demands.

And meanwhile back to the point of the thread....

I used to live off Rama IV road, I know plenty of people who have been searched. Statistically, it's quite small, but the police, for whatever reasons, do so periodically. Like this guy, they seem to be looking for something in particular and they seem to be pretty business-like about it.

They also occasionally search apartment buildings, going into each foreigners apartment. Again, they are reasonably nice, ask a few questions, check that everyone is legal and do a very cursory search. A few people took it upon themselves to argue with them and they did a rather thorough search, including emptying all the drawers, bed turned over etc.

The point is, you really are best to comply with their demands.

mate your a very switched on fella and its to bad that some of these guys dont realise just how smart you really are.

when the cops come knocking you have to be real nice to them just like there your best mate.

that way the cops save face, only have to do there job and get out of there.

now us guys that know los know that, but dont worry mate as the ones that hassle these cops sure learn real quick thats its just plain stupid to go there.

cheers mate :o

Thanks KerryK,

I been there 7 times, a month at a time, will be living there next year and i will see for myself.

Im also told by Thai people that alot of farangs who do get caught with drugs try the "the police planted it on me" So you cant tell me its just one way here. Im sure drug planting does happend as it even happends in great australia. I say 99% of the farangs who get caught are guilty :o

Thanks KerryK,

I been there 7 times, a month at a time, will be living there next year and i will see for myself.

Im also told by Thai people that alot of farangs who do get caught with drugs try the "the police planted it on me" So you cant tell me its just one way here. Im sure drug planting does happend as it even happends in great australia. I say 99% of the farangs who get caught are guilty :D

i think that is a fair enough assumption donz as ive seen some real dumb farang around the place.

i was sitting at the pier on koh pangan once and this dude pulls out an ounce of the wacky stuff and skins up right in front of the thais.

now these guys could of been anyone and there's this cock head doing this stuff. :D

look i could tell you heaps of stories like that but why bother spending good writing time on these fools.

cheers donz :o

Thanks KerryK,

Im also told by Thai people that alot of farangs who do get caught with drugs try the "the police planted it on me" So you cant tell me its just one way here. Im sure drug planting does happend as it even happends in great australia. I say 99% of the farangs who get caught are guilty :D

Donz I begin to seriously wonder about you....do you understand sarcasm? It would seem not from your response :D

I look forward to when you live here and then the realisation that things are not quite how they are in Aus :o and also the opportunity to buy you a few beers for the entertainment you give me reading your posts :D

Edited by moonoi

Thanks KerryK,

Donz I begin to seriously wonder about you....do you understand sarcasm? It would seem not from your response :D

I look forward to when you live here and then the realisation that things are not quite how they are in Aus :o and also the opportunity to buy you a few beers for the entertainment you give me reading your posts :D

I know what sarcasm is, I see it in alot of the posts on here.

I know there not as the same as in Oz, i wouldnt move there if it was.

My wife, my wife's sister and I were in a taxi heading towards pantip a few years ago when we were pulled over by the BIB.

The first thing my wife said to me was "don't speak Thai" (not sure why).

The second thing she said was, "watch everything".

Anyway, the cops asked for my passport, I told them it was at home in Sriracha, then they searched me, sniffed my smokes, checked my wallet etc etc. No worries.

The wife told me later that she was worried about them planting a Ya E on me or similar.

The passport thing was my main concern, but it didn't cause any troubles.

They did their thing and we were on our way within 5 minutes. No harm, no fowl...

(by the way, could of been etc is wrong. I am suprised how many people use of instead of have. Where did the use of english go so wrong?)

Happened to me once at Ekkamai Bus Terminal when returning from Pattaya... I'd had a big weekend and must have looked like sh*t!

It was a very thorough search - looked in cigarette packet, checked my socks - poor guys, had been wearing the same ones for three days. But I was carrying nothing illegal and they Brown Boys were friendly and unthreatening. Looking for drugs for sure.

Once in 6 years I guess is ok.Wouldn't like it if it happened too regularly though.

M&M

Edited by M&M

Happened to me once at Ekkamai Bus Terminal when returning from Pattaya... I'd had a big weekend and must have looked like sh*t!

It was a very thorough search - looked in cigarette packet, checked my socks - poor guys, had been wearing the same ones for three days. But I was carrying nothing illegal and they Brown Boys were friendly and unthreatening. Looking for drugs for sure.

Once in 6 years I guess is ok.Wouldn't like it if it happened too regularly though.

M&M

If it was once in 6 years I wouldn't be too bothered, it's been once in 2 months! I guess I was just unlucky....

They did their thing and we were on our way within 5 minutes. No harm, no fowl...

(by the way, could of been etc is wrong. I am suprised how many people use of instead of have. Where did the use of english go so wrong?)

And some people use fowl...

chicken.jpg

instead of foul...

foul%20Mr.%20Ref..jpg

:o