Is it possible to shortcut a room keycard to run aircon 24 hours?

Sandman77

Last week I beginning to concider how a room key card is technically working, sure the hotel wants save coasts , but I not like it when I cannot charge my mobile phones when I not in the room and hot when I come back, no I want know how a room key card works is it possible to clone it?is there a magnet inside or even a computer chip , maybe possible to short cut it with a object with same size?

• Like 1

why waste energy by keeping it on when you are out?

Agreed, and as a hotel owner, why should I pay for your wasted energy with my increased electricity bills when my room rates are based on typical customer usage of an air-con?

If hotel guests did as you propose, electricity bills would increase significantly, and this increase would result in higher room rates.

But I do agree with you that the keycard should only switch off the air-con (high energy demand). The wall plugs should still be 'live' to allow phone-charging.

that's very sensible

Agreed, and as a hotel owner, why should I pay for your wasted energy with my increased electricity bills when my room rates are based on typical customer usage of an air-con?

If hotel guests did as you propose, electricity bills would increase significantly, and this increase would result in higher room rates.

But I do agree with you that the keycard should only switch off the air-con (high energy demand). The wall plugs should still be 'live' to allow phone-charging.

Perhaps if you are staying in budget accom that's fair enough.

But I think if you have paid top dollar for a room and you want to have it nice and cool for when you get back after being out then it's fine.

Plus the customers always right.

• Like 1

... on a serious note.

A few of the 'better' hotels I've stayed in had the good sense to have a 24/7 Power Point (not controlled) so that I could recharge my computer/Phone while I was away from the room.

EDIT ... that was 16,666 posts for me ... laugh.png

Edited by David48

even 24/7 at full blast

I agree if you are actually in the room, or if you're paying top $ for a hotel room. But 'budget' hotels operate on that budget, which is why it is standard practice to switch off the air-con when not in the room.

Besides the costs, what about wasted energy? Why not be more responsible and minimise use of the air-con?

Simon seems like you'll need to install electricity meters now.

I agree if you are actually in the room, or if you're paying top $ for a hotel room. But 'budget' hotels operate on that budget, which is why it is standard practice to switch off the air-con when not in the room.[/font][/color]

Besides the costs, what about wasted energy? Why not be more responsible and minimise use of the air-con?

In general I do agree Simon... but to continue as devil's advocate... I know peeps here who run air cons at home 24/7, full blast, with windows wide open in every room - they like air con AND fresh air at the same time, and can afford it. They rarely stay at budget places anyway but... If they did book into your establishment advertising air con why would they not expect to use it as they do at home? Unless you, as the vendor, state specifically that only X hours of air con is included at the room rate and that extra air con time will receive a surcharge it is their amenity to use/abuse as they wish. Notably, and thankfully, I believe these types are at the end of the bell curve and most peeps are conscious and respectful of proper energy usage.

For all those that are saying you paid for it so you can run it.. if everyone ran it 24/7 we would all pay a lot more. This is a way to keep costs down and a good one. I am ok if there are still live plugs. I usually take a socket extender with me and leach of the fridge (should always be on)

But that's the thing, we are not all 'average' users, but collectively we add up to 'average use'. The customer who hates aircon and leaves it off, balances the over-user. It is up to the proprietor to determine mean usage at their establishment and price accordingly.

For all those that are saying you paid for it so you can run it.. if everyone ran it 24/7 we would all pay a lot more. This is a way to keep costs down and a good one. I am ok if there are still live plugs. I usually take a socket extender with me and leach of the fridge (should always be on)

But that's the thing, we are not all 'average' users, but collectively we add up to 'average use'. The customer who hates aircon and leaves it off, balances the over-user. It is up to the proprietor to determine mean usage at their establishment and price accordingly.

So by making sure you can't run it when your not in the room you will bring down the average and need for higher price.

Simple economics

(provided the profit margin stays the same )

Use the socket the fridge is plugged into if you just want to charge your phone/tablet when you are out of the room, the fridge is normally on a different circuit.

Please don't try and run the AC 24/7, electricity is one of the highest expenses for Hotels, plus you are killing Polar Bears.

So by making sure you can't run it when your not in the room you will bring down the average and need for higher price.

Simple economics

(provided the profit margin stays the same )

Look, I get the wasteful, environmentally unfriendly nature of this, and its affecting costs, but...

Is it fair/equitable for one guest to stay in the room (for whatever reason: business, sickness, weather, just felt like vegging...) and consume aircon 24/7 and another guest, paying exactly the same rate, for exactly the same advertised amenities, not being allowed to use those amenities to the same level, even wastefully, if they so desire?

I contend that it is up to the proprietor to clearly define exactly what is maximum usage and to apply this equally to ALL customers. What about temperature? Who uses more energy, the aircon at night only set at 16C or 24 hours at 28C to keep the humidity out? Owners costing MUST include the entire spectrum of guests from the very light users to the over-users.

...and another guest, paying exactly the same rate, for exactly the same advertised amenities, not being allowed to use those amenities to the same level, even wastefully, if they so desire?

But in your example, you're not in the room. You've gone out and left the AC on, because you can't face a few minutes of a warm room when you return.

IMHO, that's plain selfish and an avoidable contribution to global energy waste.

Given a choice, (not practical I admit), would I rent a room to someone who insists on leaving the AC on when they go out for the day? No I would not.

We're talking about leaving the AC on - not leaving a 'live' electrical socket to allow notebook/phone-charging

• Like 1

I pay for this room 24 hours and I use what I want 24h.

I also have no respect for business owners, why should have ?

The reason it's made in a way so that you are forced to turn it off when you go out is because apartment and hotel owners are aware of people's ignorance. Let's waste all that i can since they are not going to charge me extra for it. It's not only about you and saving as much as you can. It's very easy to do what you would like to do, even if modern hotels but you don't have the right to alter/clone etc others property, not to mention that if it costed additional money, you wouldn't want to do it.

• Like 1

...and another guest, paying exactly the same rate, for exactly the same advertised amenities, not being allowed to use those amenities to the same level, even wastefully, if they so desire?

But in your example, you're not in the room. You've gone out and left the AC on, because you can't face a few minutes of a warm room when you return.

IMHO, that's plain selfish and an avoidable contribution to global energy waste.

Given a choice, (not practical I admit), would I rent a room to someone who insists on leaving the AC on when they go out for the day? No I would not.

We're talking about leaving the AC on - not leaving a 'live' electrical socket to allow notebook/phone-charging

I know... wasteful, global energy, the room will cool in 15 minutes... all true and valid... yet my question to you as an owner is; having paid my fee, same as the guy in the next room who's too hung-over to go out today, should I not feel it is my right to use the same resources as him, in any way that makes my heart content?