Are CNG stations different?

bazza40

I regularly drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and back. I'm wondering why there seems to be a big discrepancy in my range depending where I fill my CNG tank. For example, a few weeks ago with three people on board I made it to Chiang Rai AND back on a single tank of CNG after filling up at the station near Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai. In contrast, a recent fill at the CNG station just past the White Temple near Chiang Rai barely got me to Chiang Mai with only myself on board. Informed comments welcome.

My own experiences filling up with LPG is that at some stations there seems to be less pressure at the fuel pumps, so I often get less gas in my tank, I keep a record as I am driving so then have a good idea how many liters should be going in, then I how many more kilometers the jeep will travel before needing a refill, this also lets me keep track of the kilometers per liter it is achieving and how well it is performing.

Tom

My own experiences filling up with LPG is that at some stations there seems to be less pressure at the fuel pumps, so I often get less gas in my tank, I keep a record as I am driving so then have a good idea how many liters should be going in, then I how many more kilometers the jeep will travel before needing a refill, this also lets me keep track of the kilometers per liter it is achieving and how well it is performing.

Tom

I've been turned away from the CNG station at Chiang Rai several times, the explanation was not enough pressure. The gauges at CM and CR appear to give identical fills. The only other difference I've noted is the CM station services passenger vehicles almost exclusively, with some small trucks and vans. The CR station services a lot of semi-trailers and double trailers which have banks of cylinders behind the truck cabin. These vehicles probably would not fit into the CM station.

Tom

Use an app on my fone to do this with all my vehicles. Good to know when changes happen, indicator of problems.

We have a Honda city CNG, have run the tank to empty many times and never able to fill tank the same amount each time. Depends on the pressure the station has and how busy they are. just because all lights are on does not mean full tank, you have to watch how much they put in and baht amount. We have run between 120 and 148 baht to fill. At 120 the tank was not full. 9 out of 10 times we are never able to get a full tank. We have found at about 10 pm when station is very slow is the best time to fill. We are saving big time on our fuel bill but sometimes a real pain waiting in line. Anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Holidays can be a nightmare I have read.

I see 5 LPG stations for every one NGV

bazza40 , thats a huge saving. With CNG consumption being about 10-15 % higher per Kilometer ,than with Gasohol , as its not as efficient , and CNG price going up to 17 Baht /L soon - i know its subsidised now at 14 B/L - and Gasohol being about 30 B/L i estimated a saving of about 45% up to 55 % when Gasohol goes back up to 33B/L , then back down to 45 % when CNG slowly goes up to 17 B L.

Edited by ktm jeff

Sorry Khun , i thought it was the CNG that was / is having its subsidy slowly reduced at the rate of half a baht every 6 months , that will therefore increase its price up to its production cost of 17 B/L. Ace , as very few cars can run E85 , i was pricing gasohol (95) at 30 B/L. Really 29.5 B/L.thumbsup.gif .If a car can run E85 , there is even less saving in CNG , as its 12.5 B/L verses 22,28 B/L.Total savings will increase with mileage , but as the OP says , there is the problem of fewer stations , and a slow fill. I wait to hear from the OP , on how the petrol cost of 2.5 B/L can be reduced by over 400 % to just 0.6 B/L on CNG.

Pure is just a bit cheaper than the Big Boys, but no Gas..As for not many Cars cant run on E85,too many Hondas can and form a cue nearly as long as the gas filla uppers whenever i need it. Ill never buy another Clonker for personal use. Old Nop waits for me with his Vigo,fills that + 6 Bloody Oil Drums when ever i fill the Tblazer.As For Gas, "Bang yer Dead".w00t.gifthumbsup.gif