Its Madness Out There !

PostmanPat

Sounds pretty normal Thai drivers,but will not be venturing

out on the roads after dark,the majority of Thai drivers do not

know what they are doing when sober,add drink,night time

driving,its accidents waiting to happen.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Our little beach hideaway, Bangsaphan, down past Hua Hin has about 50% of normal bookings,especially foreigners, as of yesterday.

Maybe the global news of unsolved murders and beach side scams has put people of.

Pity the hordes that are currently invading CM don't go south.

Really is CM such a party town with the latest crack downs ? and it is total chaos on the roads.

Our little beach hideaway, Bangsaphan, down past Hua Hin has about 50% of normal bookings,especially foreigners, as of yesterday.

Maybe the global news of unsolved murders and beach side scams has put people of.

Pity the hordes that are currently invading CM don't go south.

Really is CM such a party town with the latest crack downs ? and it is total chaos on the roads.

It has all ways been the place to go for years for all of Bangkok over the long New Years holiday. The workers in Bangkok go home but those with money only know one destination and thats north which includes Pai. They want cold weather.

• Like 1

Did a bit of shopping yesterday and the Mrs said to me the car park at Tesco was full of BKK number plates, so they are all up here visiting.

This morning on my bike ride it was very quiet without much of the usual traffic from people going to work, so i guess a lot of Civil Servants and others finished yesterday. Plenty of empty beer bottles and food wrappers littering the country roads that weren't there yesterday and it seems a lot of them were most likely sleeping it off this morning.

What I get from talking with Thai's from other places is

that it is the cool air & feeling that many scenic tourist spots here give that they like.

Not to mention with the building boom going on many from Bangkok have now bought getaway places here in CM

of their own.

I would say about a quarter or a third of the houses in my moo baan are vacation homes for Bangkok owners and most of them are here now. I have never seen so many cars in the driveways as there are today. Probably the most crowded it gets in here all year.

Grin

I was in Makro Hang Dong just an hour since.

I actually thought the world was going to end.

The cars were queueing all the way back to the lights and around the corner another 100m opposite Homepro in fact.

The bike park was so full they were parking into the service delivery yard and I managed to get one of the last 5 trolleys.

Inside it was heaving; I would normally have said bedlam; but you know the Thais, unflappable resolve.

I tried to dart to grab a baguette and some bread only 20m from the entrance but with everyone coming to the checkouts it was a struggle. Three people around the baguette basket it felt like desperation and greed to get one.

The fish area was the busiest I would say, I am not sure you could squeeze in to get a fish or prawns it was so chocked.

people were leaving their trolleys in the aisles, parked in a line and going for their produce. if you want something from a shelf, you have to move a trolley.

I even had the veggie weigher man telling me to get in the correct line,he got some verbal from me of course; my stress level was already too high.

After the bread and chicken breasts I was outta there, in my haste to escape I got to the shortest queue and realised I hadnt even had the chicken weighed and ticketed.

A few choice words of damnation and stress level 9 approaching I had to go all the way to the back; I did apologise to the old biddy for glancing her with the trolley into a pasta aisle but in the end I too had to abandon the trolley and take to foot.

Eventually checked out quite easily and after spending only 220bt that was the wrong time to go.

Its the same in England,the supermarkets will be shut for ONE day but everyone insists on stocking up for a month. what is it with people who think they are going to starve.

I thought thats why they created the mama pot noodles?

I just hope we get a massive power cut and water shortage; who stocked up on candles and water?

TAKE 2 VALLIUM AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING

• Like 1

Its the same in England,the supermarkets will be shut for ONE day but everyone insists on stocking up for a month. what is it with people who think they are going to starve.

It's not for the month, and there is actually no day that Makro is closed anyway. This is just for people's New Year Parties, typically involving BBQ which is why the seafood & meat area is so busy.

And then especially Makro, as their meat and seafood is better/cheaper/fresher than anywhere else.

Yep the roads thru Mae Rim have been chaos the last week or so with a lot of BKK maniacs drivers heading to Pai or MHS. Now its the New Year the traffic flow seems heavier heading South. Mix into the equation a heap of VIP vans and the roads are crazy. Then there is the road works at the future underpass on the way into town. 2 or 3 lanes into 1 cause huge headaches especially when VIP vans/buses think its their right to zip up the inside or outside and cut in the queue wherever they see fit.

Damn I hate them.... ok rant over!

I look forward to the normal CM road chaos returning, at least I had got use to that and kept ahead of the game wai.gif

I'd say most people will drive back on Sunday 4th.

You are right looked at the Agoda website for hotel rooms from dec. 31.jan - 2 jan. only in 30 hotels had rooms available, if you look at 3 jan.- 6 jan., more then 385 hotels have rooms...

Back to normal!

The trouble, now, with CM is that it is actually quite small and the infrastructure is creaking. I watched on TV the chaos on the roads in Korat and Khon Khaen, but I am delighted to tell you that farther N and E the swarms have disappeared. It is delightfully cold; 12 degrees at 06.00. Laos is shrouded in mist and there is NoBody!! Have, however forbidden wife to drive to Khon Khaen or anywhere else on Sunday!!

I was in Makro Hang Dong just an hour since.

I actually thought the world was going to end.

The cars were queueing all the way back to the lights and around the corner another 100m opposite Homepro in fact.

The bike park was so full they were parking into the service delivery yard and I managed to get one of the last 5 trolleys.

Inside it was heaving; I would normally have said bedlam; but you know the Thais, unflappable resolve.

I tried to dart to grab a baguette and some bread only 20m from the entrance but with everyone coming to the checkouts it was a struggle. Three people around the baguette basket it felt like desperation and greed to get one.

The fish area was the busiest I would say, I am not sure you could squeeze in to get a fish or prawns it was so chocked.

people were leaving their trolleys in the aisles, parked in a line and going for their produce. if you want something from a shelf, you have to move a trolley.

I even had the veggie weigher man telling me to get in the correct line,he got some verbal from me of course; my stress level was already too high.

After the bread and chicken breasts I was outta there, in my haste to escape I got to the shortest queue and realised I hadnt even had the chicken weighed and ticketed.

A few choice words of damnation and stress level 9 approaching I had to go all the way to the back; I did apologise to the old biddy for glancing her with the trolley into a pasta aisle but in the end I too had to abandon the trolley and take to foot.

Eventually checked out quite easily and after spending only 220bt that was the wrong time to go.

I just hope we get a massive power cut and water shortage; who stocked up on candles and water?

TAKE 2 VALLIUM AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING

Always in and of of Mak..Hang Dong...in fact only yesterday picked up the food for our annual New Year 1st Jan do ...followed by the Beer from Big C round the corner and found the place...not 2 busy.....When it gets too much (in Mak) just sit,relax and have a coffee/capucino or 2 and say hello to Jen the young lady who serves it up...best I have tasted in C Mai...Do agree however about the traffic. On the way in on the 1317 it looked like everyone was leaving CM (assume going to Hot springs )The whole journey of about 40 Kms was choc a block but fortunately we were going into town...so again not bad. Thais driving was as expected...push,swerve,tailgate,overtaking going up hills/crossroads as though their world is coming to an End (and no doubt for some it will)....Hom Hum....just got to go with the flow.....and great party last night....