New Year accident death toll rises to 260 after five days

Lite Beer

Darwinism at it's finest.

coffee1.gif

Please think before making some kinda attempt at humour, which is really racism in disguise.

Have you any idea how many innocent people are killed or injured because of drunk drivers?

I agree.

These are just people trying to make their way home running into a handful of jerks.

That sucks.

Many accidents and deaths could probably be avoided howevery if all cars in thailand d where equipped with ABS brakes and Airbags. I am concearned that you can still buy a brand new car in Thailand without both of these features

• Like 1

In four years of the civil war in Syria just over 200,000 people have been killed.

In four years on Thai roads well over half of that.

It is a battlefield out there.

Strange comparison.

I could say that Europeans killed 50 million other Europeans in the 20th Century alone. How many did Thailand kill?

In four years of the civil war in Syria just over 200,000 people have been killed.

In four years on Thai roads well over half of that.

It is a battlefield out there.

Strange comparison.

I could say that Europeans killed 50 million other Europeans in the 20th Century alone. How many did Thailand kill?

This is just a comparison of a recent conflict in one country to the road death carnage in Thailand . . . to give it some scale.

What have World Wars got to do with the price of tea in China?

Edited by MJP

Many accidents and deaths could probably be avoided howevery if all cars in thailand d where equipped with ABS brakes and Airbags. I am concearned that you can still buy a brand new car in Thailand without both of these features

Most modern cars sold in Thailand have ABS and airbags. The main issue is the drunks and speeders, especially those on bikes, and not wearing helmets. It doesn't take a major impact (simply slipping and falling off a bike at low speed) to get a brain hemorrhage that leads to death.

Most modern cars sold in Thailand have ABS and airbags. The main issue is the drunks and speeders, especially those on bikes, and not wearing helmets. It doesn't take a major impact (simply slipping and falling off a bike at low speed) to get a brain hemorrhage that leads to death.

Last time I looked ABS and wotnot were optional extras on most vehicles.

Considering that a previous report said that over 80% of the road deaths and injuries involved motorbikes and with the number of vehicles on the roads then those who drive things other than motorbikes can not be too bad.

I watch road behavior carefully and for the most part it is good but as everywhere there are idiots out there who weave in and out of traffic, travel far to fast, pass on blind spots and drive after drinking, unfortunately it is mostly the idiots who cause the crashes and often take others with them.

See the report on the speeding Merc that swerved to the wrong side of the road and took out a pickup.

Quote I watch road behavior carefully and for the most part it is good.....Unquote

Jeez, the standard of driving in NZ must be diabolical.

coffee1.gif

Please think before making some kinda attempt at humour, which is really racism in disguise.

Have you any idea how many innocent people are killed or injured because of drunk drivers?

Yes, but you have no feeling for the drunk drivers that were killed, do you? They deserve it!! They earned it.

Of course you've Never driven "drunk"--- maybe a little tipsy? Maybe, once? When you were 16?

coffee1.gif

Yes, but you have no feeling for the drunk drivers that were killed, do you? They deserve it!! They earned it.

Of course you've Never driven "drunk"--- maybe a little tipsy? Maybe, once? When you were 16?

How do you know I have no feeling for the drunk drivers killed?

I think it's terrible saying they deserved it. Remember alcoholism is a disease.

I've only driven once over the limit, well after passing my driving test, where I had a couple to quieten my nerves(and I was good enough to pass).

2 times for an alcoholic is pretty good. Never driven in Thailand with even the slightest of alcohol in my system in 20 years.

Considering that a previous report said that over 80% of the road deaths and injuries involved motorbikes and with the number of vehicles on the roads then those who drive things other than motorbikes can not be too bad.

I watch road behavior carefully and for the most part it is good but as everywhere there are idiots out there who weave in and out of traffic, travel far to fast, pass on blind spots and drive after drinking, unfortunately it is mostly the idiots who cause the crashes and often take others with them.

See the report on the speeding Merc that swerved to the wrong side of the road and took out a pickup.

Quote I watch road behavior carefully and for the most part it is good.....Unquote

Jeez, the standard of driving in NZ must be diabolical.

After 10 years of driving all over Thailand, Samui would rate the worst, but I agree with the Kiwi(you must know him--

I do not) and would say that the Thais do not really know how to drive safely. Being aware and defensive driving will

make most of their faults disappear. If you have "Road Rage", you won't last long in Samui!!!!

I am really puzzled by their arithmetic...

In another topic today, thailand is nber 2 in road fatalities in the world with 44 dead per 100000 inhabitants per year, which with a population of 60 millions makes it 26400 annually, or a daily average of 72.

Now this post says it is terrible that we had 260 dead in 5 days due to the celebration... well we should have 360 if we consider the average and if this is a dangerous time of year, we would have more than that...

where did I get it wrong...

and by the way, each month we have 72 x 30 dead people on the road = 2160 people... 7 boeing or airbuses crashes each month... and this does not worry anyone but when ONE airplane crashes somewhere in the world, it is top news worldwide... beats me...

oz

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

Indeed,drunk driving is an obscenity; but no more obscene that a government that fails to take action against this cultural trait that has existed for years.

There is not the remotest inference of racism in the OP simply your perception. See the problem as it really exists and stop looking for the moral high ground with this racist nonsense.

• Like 1

I am really puzzled by their arithmetic...

In another topic today, thailand is nber 2 in road fatalities in the world with 44 dead per 100000 inhabitants per year, which with a population of 60 millions makes it 26400 annually, or a daily average of 72.

Now this post says it is terrible that we had 260 dead in 5 days due to the celebration... well we should have 360 if we consider the average and if this is a dangerous time of year, we would have more than that...

where did I get it wrong...

and by the way, each month we have 72 x 30 dead people on the road = 2160 people... 7 boeing or airbuses crashes each month... and this does not worry anyone but when ONE airplane crashes somewhere in the world, it is top news worldwide... beats me...

oz

Quite right, the numbers are lower because most drivers are too drunk to remember where they put their keys

coffee1.gif

Everybody knows that!

But you do also know, that in this country no one gives a hoot for traffic laws or the enforcement!

What about those innocent - or anyone for that matter- speaking up and demanding better protection and not just lip- service, 5 days before the next festival of carnage!?

Oh, right: mai bpen rai!