Overstay question

Hi everyone,

Considering the strict demeanour here towards overstay, I have a question I need your suggestions on. I came here on voa for 15 days, and later got an extension of 7 days ~1900 thb. The extension completed yesterday. However, I have to go get one affidavit from my country's local embassy here (for some another purpose) which will take until Jan 9. I already had my return flight scheduled for Jan 9 night.

I read through recent reports here and I am not sure how to go about paying for overstay fee. Should / Can I pay full overstay fee up until Jan 9, or I will have to do it every day.?

Thanks.

You cannot pay for the overstay on a daily basis.

You will be charged the overstay fine of 500 per day on departure from the country.

If your permit to stay ended yesterday that means you will be fined 1500 baht at the airport. You need to be sure you have it with you when get to departure immigration and allow extra time to pay the fine.

Thanks @steve187. I agree. So no driving bike around now...

You will be charged the overstay fine of 500 per day on departure from the country.

If your permit to stay ended yesterday that means you will be fined 1500 baht at the airport. You need to be sure you have it with you when get to departure immigration and allow extra time to pay the fine.

Ah really? When I got the extension recently, the immigration lady apparently said otherwise, to come on Jan 6 & pay for it. I was about to go there with fee & have it her way.

I need to hit embassy in BKK today/tomorrow and was thinking to hit Central or just grand palace later. Is overstay-catcher-van-throw-in-IDC-put-ban condition in BKK & elsewhere really bad still?

There had to a misunderstanding of what the immigration officer said.

You cannot pay the overstay fine unless you can also end the continuing overstay by either getting an extension or leaving the country.

There is always the risk of being caught with an overstay anywhere you go.

Keep your head down and pay the overstay 1,500 bht when you leave from the airport, that's if there is no way of doing some sort of extension/border run in the mean time which would be favorable

How do you guys arrive at the figure of 1,500 baht? If his extension ended yesterday (5th of January) and his flight out is on the 9th, then surely he would be on a four day overstay with a 2,000 baht fine? Also, not quite sure what "jan 9 night" means, it could possibly mean that his flight is after midnight resulting in another day of overstay.

Sophon