PM not happy with road accident statistics

Lite Beer

Thai people have little regard for their own safety let alone anyone else.

When you run programs like fining bikes for riding on the pavement and declare in a success after 2 days then stop doing it, nothing will change.

Bit like losing a stone then putting two on.

• Like 1

"PM not happy with road accident statistics" ?

Talk about stating the obvious. My question, though, is. What is he going to do about it? Is he rattling someone's cage?

Is there going to be a shake-up at the RTP Traffic Enforcement Division, at The Land Transport Offices and at , truck, bus and van inspection centers?

Answers please, on a postcard.

He needs to have a word with the Interior Secy who, when out thanking some volunteers, made a speech including some strange comments about the govt's attitude towards road accident stats.

• Like 1

To say 'I'm not happy with road accidents' is pointless and meaningless statement, dose ANY ONE

happy with road accidents? it's like saying, I don't like to be his by a car...

The problem is, that not much can be done to levitate the problems without the participation

of every one in this country, and that will never happened...

341 killed over 'dangerous' New Year, slightly less than last year
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Wattana Khamchu
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER GENERAL Prayut Chan-o-cha's administration isn't satisfied with the New Year road toll being slightly less than last year because every life is important. So all agencies must perform their duties to the fullest, deputy government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

During yesterday's Cabinet meeting, Prayut instructed related agencies to gather more detailed information over the coming month on accident statistics than what they presented to the media to determine solutions to better reduce road casualties during the Songkran Festival in April, he said.

These comments were made after the Road Safety Centre said yesterday that 341 people were killed and 3,117 injured in 2,997 accidents over the New Year holidays.

This was slightly down from last year's tally of 367 killed and 3,344 others injured in 3,174 accidents.

Chiang Mai province topped the road toll figures with 18 people killed and 129 injured in 133 accidents over the seven days, while only two provinces - Sing Buri and Nakhon Phanom - reported no road deaths.

Interior Ministry permanent secretary Wibul Sanguanpong said 265 accidents on Monday claimed 40 lives and left 274 other people injured.

Major contributing factors to road crashes over the week were drunk driving at 37 per cent, while 82 per cent of accidents involved motorcycles.

Most accidents occurred on highways (38.5 per cent) and village roads (35.30 per cent), Wibul said. Two thirds took place on a straight stretch of road (65 per cent), with many occurring between 4pm and 8pm in the evening (30 per cent). Slightly over half (52.5 per cent) of victims were of working age.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chatchai Phromlert thanked all officials and volunteers who spent the holiday period working for road safety. He said state agencies would analyse the information about accident causes and contributing factors to draw up strategies and recommendations for Cabinet to consider to try to lower the toll further.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/341-killed-over-dangerous-New-Year-slightly-less-t-30251360.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-07

well at least the PM acknowledged the horrrific accident/death rate, thats more than can be said for many past PMs. give the man a chance, he does appear to have the good of the country and its people at heart and reportably has support of some influential individuals.

That in itself is an improvement over what was puttering around before with their hands in everyones wallet except their own.

In all seriousness isn't this a non political area where the PM could actually make a mark and earn the gratitude of all Thais and future generations.Thailand's road safety record is one of the world's worst.Ad hoc measues not enough.Maybe a proper inquiry to begin with suported by international experts into causes and remedies.

• Like 1

Why not tell (or train) the trafficpolice do to their job properly?

After the coup motorists behaved better for a week or so, now it is the same madhouse as before.

Also the taxi's and minibus cause huge congestion, only when a policeofficer is standing on the spot they don't dare to do so, after he is gone it's the same old story.

• Like 2

Public transport is crucial to reduce the instances of drunk driving. Buses need to stop being neglected and the bus system should be made up to par with the BTS system in terms of quality and reliability. Free rides should also be given on festive days or when there is expected to be a lot of partying and drinking.

Another thing that could be done is to legalize other drugs such as marijuana, mushrooms etc which would take a lot away from the alcohol consumption and since these drugs don't alter your train of thought to do dangerous things, it should in theory help cut down the accident rate.

Although I agree with w/r to buses and I have a hypothesis that riding the existing buses when totally sloshed would probably the best way if one absolutely has to ride one. I don't believe marijuana/mushrooms (or anything else) could replace alcohol consumption in Thailand, unless they somehow get so stoned they pass out.

I'm happy with this, I'm not happy with that. Sheesh... Grow up. The causes of the accidents are already established. What are YOU going to do about it? More empty shakeups and crackdowns? Or something more affirmative, sustained and transparent? Oh wait... I'm dreaming...

Thailand does not need to reinvent the wheel,send senior politicians and police to study enforcement actions and laws in Australia or Sweden.Drink and drive and you suffer the full force of the law with hefty fines and loss of licence repeat offenders have a free holiday in the big house at the expense of the government.

Action not words

Road blocks for traffic control is like pissing in the wind. The only thing that will change driving habits and accident statistics are the enforcement of "Moving Violations', including stiff fines that if can not be paid, your car / bike is towed away. In the US, if your doing 15 to 20 MPH over the speed limit, you get arrested and your car is impounded. Here? Go 160 KPM in a 60 KPM zone and no cops know or care. Western based Highway Patrol enforcement for moving violations would be an excellent start.

• Like 1

It is going to take at least 3 to 4 generations before Thailand has it's populace driving to western standards. All of us can come back in the next life and see the results, a good 60 to 80 years.

You are way too optimistic :D We may reach Nirvana and still nothing will have changed by then :D

It is going to take at least 3 to 4 generations before Thailand has it's populace driving to western standards. All of us can come back in the next life and see the results, a good 60 to 80 years.

If nothing is ever done. it will never change.

If strict law enforcement is implemented immediately, with hefty fines, imprisonment, confiscation of vehicles etc, then Thais will either be driving to Western standards very quickly -or will not be driving at all.

• Like 1

Take a trip to Sweden and study their safety work for bringing down the road accidents. They are the second best

in the world after Island when it comes to death rate. Thailand is the second worst in the world after Dominican Republic. How can this situation been allowed to continue. Dead persons lying on the roads over the whole of Thailand. What a

tragedy. Whom we have to blame. Even this is of course a result of corruption.

"PRIME MINISTER GENERAL Prayut Chan-o-cha's administration isn't satisfied with the New Year road toll being slightly less than last year because every life is important."

As Monty Python once said

Edited by Bluespunk

"PM not happy with road accident statistics" ?

Talk about stating the obvious. My question, though, is. What is he going to do about it? Is he rattling someone's cage?

Is there going to be a shake-up at the RTP Traffic Enforcement Division, at The Land Transport Offices and at , truck, bus and van inspection centers?

Answers please, on a postcard.

More like a postage stamp, the postcard is way too big

Some friends of ours have two recovery trucks and when they bring a wreck in, it is parked next to their house. Right now, there are approximately ten vehicles there from accidents that occurred over the New Year period. Every single one of them has extensive damage to the front off-side area, i.e. in front of the driver. It doesn't take much guessing as to how this damage happened after watching the numbnut indigenous population driving and overtaking in the path of on-coming traffic.

As has been written by other TV members, it is good that the PM is unhappy with the statistics, we all are, but what will he do about it ?

PM not happy with road accident statistics

And will be doing exactly nothing to prevent it happening again and I am sure he will then be even more unhappy when the Songran slaughter on the roads begin, or will he manage to get a proper working police force organised before April, I doubt it nothing will change on the roads in Thailand as they are only number 2 on the world for road deaths if they were number 1 then the panic would set in.

The great general says he is unhappy with all the statistics. Mind you, not unhappy with all the road deaths, but unhappy with the fact that Thailand is #2 in the world for road fatalities, and it makes the country look bad! Well, I have news for you El Capitan. If you want the road deaths to decline you will have to work with your beloved RTP, and somehow convince them to do some traffic safety work. I do not believe you can reduce the traffic fatalities here, or the injuries or the number of reckless drivers, without putting a deterrent in place. Mr. Capitan, do you understand the concept of a deterrent? The people want to know. We all want to know. Do you have this level of understanding? Is there anything you can do to get these guys to start handing out speeding tickets, start impounding cars for reckless driving, start handing out DWI tickets, etc? Anything? Jawboning only gets a man so far. What is the next logical step after the jawboning takes place? Action baby. Show us you are a man of action, please. Do something about this travesty called lack of traffic safety, in your country please. Do something about the inept police force, who have to take some of the responsibility for the ridiculous number of road deaths here please.

• Like 1

This man is amazing.

He is concerned about everything that has to do with Thais well being.

And that is why the majority of Thais love him.

Carry on the good work General and don't listen to the farangs that will be quoting my post.......I will not.

How can he say that the acceidents dropped by 40% from last year. I think that he needs a new calculator or go back to school. I read the stats from this year's "7 terriblr days" and from those stats, it is not even close to a 40% drop, I am puzzled by those figures.