Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

villagefarang

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you using for hydration and nutrition on your longer rides?

Yesterday I had a few espressos with milk no sugar and went for a 67.5 km ride around 11am. I have one bottle of cold water on the bike and one smaller bottle of Sponsor/Red Bull mix in a lumbar pack designed for running. The belt on that pack provides a place to clip a small bag for my phone and money.

I rode for one hour on water only before stopping at a roadside shop for a refill. The next village is never very far away and they all have little shops with refrigerators and drinks for sale. Along with a bottle of water I purchased and drank one of those small 3 in 1 coffee drinks for my first dose of sugar. I save the Sponsor mix for later in the ride when I start to drag a bit but I usually don’t finish it.
Since I am a bit overweight, the idea is to ride without carbs for the first hour or so. Yesterday was only around 2 hours and 40 minutes on the bike and it wasn’t too hot so one stop was all I needed. Add another hour to that and I need to stop at least one more time. I spend most of my time between 25 and 27 kmh on the flats but I am all over the place because of the rolling hills.
Edited by villagefarang

doi suthep sub 35 minutes....on a $1500 bike.

I'm happy at sub 55 minutes ..... on any price bicycle.

From the zoo entrance to where the big coaches do a U-turn at the entrance of Doi Suthep it's my time ;

35 minutes with my old Wheeler Pro 10 I bought about six years ago for about 23,000 baht .

I have change the rims, now I have two second hand Mavic Cross Trail Disc ; I paid 9,000 baht for the two rims .

My Wheeler is about 14 kg with two bottles of water and I'm 88kg for 6' 4" high; and 66 y old , yes

and the downhill between 45/55 km/h, two many cars with drivers who don't know how to drive in a downhill .

Doi Suthep is not difficult; I think but not sure the average percentage is about 5% ; the last 500 meters are difficult .

If you know a little bit Chiang Rai province or Mae Hong Son one, there are many difficult road there !;

for example 1149 from Mae Sai to Doi Tung Royal Villa;

or road 1249 from Mae Sun to Doi Ang Khang ;

another one very difficult, the paved road from road 108 to Ban Mikrowave in Mae Hong Son province

22301938145_38151b5554_c.jpg

22289433062_f64784eb64_c.jpg

Edited by Assurancetourix

My post above is a little bit off topic tongue.png because Villagefarang and other members are speaking about road bikes ;

I had many before having this MTbike;

the last one was a Salmon bike; made by an breton artisan ; bought it in 1998 .

http://www.cyclesdsalmon.com/

I went to Thailand with it and did many beautiful journey from my little village in Sakon Nakhon province to Nan, to Mukdahan , to many other places in E-San .

I sold it to an officer of Sakon Nakhon Immigration clap2.gif

But now I prefer to cycle on my MTbike ;

I will begin with a friend a new big and great journey next 5th of november 2015 ;

going to Nong Khai, cross the Mekong and visiting north of Laos ( maybe going to Boten, border of China ) during about a fortnight;

coming back Thailand by Houey Xai;

hope we can meet you Villagefarang in your " ban " ... and shoot photo of your new road bike and a " man in black" with it biggrin.png

Doi Suthep is not difficult; I think but not sure the average percentage is about 5% ; the last 500 meters are difficult

From Wat Doi Suthep to Puping Palace to San Goo is all difficult ............

Not to mention Puphing Palace to San Goo to Baan Chang Kian Village is too rough for a road bike.

(about 50Km for the round trip)

post-233622-0-53951200-1446531464_thumb.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Right MaeJoMTB;

you can go to Pupping Palace with a road bike and also a little bit more because they did a new and beautiful road but very narrow.

When this narrow road is finished it's a ground and rock and sand road, impossible to cycle there with a road bike .

Right MaeJoMTB;

you can go to Pupping Palace with a road bike and also a little bit more because they did a new and beautiful road but very narrow.

When this narrow road is finished it's a ground and rock and sand road, impossible to cycle there with a road bike .

You can road bike to Chang Khian(sp?) Hmong village now. Concrete road from the turn off to Doi Pui summit past campsite, down to the Hmong village. Can road bike to the sala just below Doi Pui summit, too.

Right MaeJoMTB;

You can road bike to Chang Khian(sp?) Hmong village now. Concrete road from the turn off to Doi Pui summit past campsite, down to the Hmong village. Can road bike to the sala just below Doi Pui summit, too.

I'm guessing you haven't done it this year!

After San Goo, from the campsite, down past the university coffee shop is now just rough track.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Right MaeJoMTB;

After San Goo, from the campsite, down past the university coffee shop is now just rough track.

When was the last time you were there? Been along a few times & new concrete. Surprised me!

Edited by MESmith

When was the last time you were there? Been along a few times & new concrete. Surprised me!

5 weeks ago.

Have they resurfaced in the last month?

5 weeks ago.

Have they resurfaced in the last month?

Well, I'm not going to bet my bike on it, but it mostly was concreted last time I went that way. Lots of new concrete road Maybe a short section of dirt (i thought it was all concrete), but in the dry season, no problem on a road bike. Has there been a landslide in the rainy season?

Edited by MESmith

• 3 weeks later...

Even with the extras I only paid around 190K, which is still a lot. I won't be leaving it unattended, and I am always thoughtful and attentive, so I don't really get too worried about stuff like that. I understand that just because I haven't been ripped off over the last 38 years doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow, but I like my odds.

That' is a good deal, I paid only 4k less for my 2013 Rabobank TCR SL ISP back in March, and I only got mechanical Duraace 9000. Not complaining though, I love my bike and wouldn't change it for the world. I have a slightly more aggressive riding position to you though. Here's how she looks after some nice new wheels ;-)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1421249784.178588.jpg

Well I did end up changing it in the end, and joined you with a Trek, but went with the Emonda SL (only one they had in my size). I'm shocked by how much more comfortable it is than my old Giant, yet is also faster.

6d023491b28e3581edc691cbb5b69b88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I was 26 km into my own little Bike for Dad ride earlier today when I blew a spoke on the back wheel. Heard the noise and thought it was a rock at first. Later I looked down and the back wheel seemed to have a slight wobble in it. Not sure if it was a shadow or if it was really warped I stopped to take a closer look. Sure enough that sound I heard was the popping of one of my spokes. I took out my trusty all purpose service tool (iPhone 6) and call for an emergency evac. My lovely wife drove out and picked me up. Actually a shop owner where I pulled over to inspect my bike offered to give me a ride home but I hate to inconvenience anyone if I can avoid doing so. I don't mind being indebted to my wife, however. Looks like it will be next Tuesday before I can get the bike into the shop.

I was 26 km into my own little Bike for Dad ride earlier today when I blew a spoke on the back wheel. Heard the noise and thought it was a rock at first. Later I looked down and the back wheel seemed to have a slight wobble in it. Not sure if it was a shadow or if it was really warped I stopped to take a closer look. Sure enough that sound I heard was the popping of one of my spokes. I took out my trusty all purpose service tool (iPhone 6) and call for an emergency evac. My lovely wife drove out and picked me up. Actually a shop owner where I pulled over to inspect my bike offered to give me a ride home but I hate to inconvenience anyone if I can avoid doing so. I don't mind being indebted to my wife, however. Looks like it will be next Tuesday before I can get the bike into the shop.

Do you know the reason for it? I never had something like that back in Europe (but OK I always was about 65 kg).

(I imagine what happens in the Alps when you are close to 100 km/h) Such things scary me.

What material are the spokes? Or did it get pulled out from the rim?

Please let us know if they fix it for free.....

iPhone 6 ??!! Now you're just showing off! smile.png

Do you know the reason for it? I never had something like that back in Europe (but OK I always was about 65 kg).

(I imagine what happens in the Alps when you are close to 100 km/h) Such things scary me.

It happens. Perhaps the one spoke was too tight or weaker than the rest. Who knows.

If you are careful you can bend that broken spoke around the others and limp back home. You just need to make danged sure that the broken spoke is in no danger of rubbing your frame. If the wobble causes the wheel to rub the brake, open the brake up.

It happens. Perhaps the one spoke was too tight or weaker than the rest. Who knows.

If you are careful you can bend that broken spoke around the others and limp back home. You just need to make danged sure that the broken spoke is in no danger of rubbing your frame. If the wobble causes the wheel to rub the brake, open the brake up.

Good thing with the Domane is it runs disc brakes, so a bit more room for the wheel to wobble, it probably would have been OK to get him home riding carefully, but why risk it when you have assistance a phone call away ;) Edited by moonoi

For the most part roads are pretty good around here but there are rough stretches. That is one reason I got the Domane. I think that and my 90 kg had more to do with it than speed. The spoke came off where it connects to the rim and I was able to slide it out through the hub. Still I could see the rim was deformed so I didn’t want to take any chances. Besides the mood was gone at that point and I was no longer enjoying my ride.

The shop owner is off with his team in another province but his wife said he will be back this next week to take care of the bike for me. Hopefully only need a new spoke and to re-true the wheel but we will discuss options when he sees the bike. It has been a few thousand kilometers so may as well let him give it a good once over.
I am thinking of changing the back gears to make climbing a little easier but not sure yet. Anyway I will let you know how it goes.

A spoke of a new bike can't be too tight, as tension must be measured. And it can't be weak. If I send out one of my much cheaper technical products where a failure isn't dangerous and one is a bit weak, I am in big troubles with my customer.

Imagine a heavy rider full brakes (with disk brake so there is a torque on the system, which makes it worse than braking on the rim) at 100 km/h before a turn and a spoke on the front wheel brakes, than it may overload the next spoke as well.

You may things in terms of flat street, but we always did down the mountains in the Alps.

Good thing with the Domane is it runs disc brakes, so a bit more room for the wheel to wobble, it probably would have been OK to get him home riding carefully, but why risk it when you have assistance a phone call away wink.png

On most (at least on these I had) rim brakes you can relax them (usually used to take out the wheel), that allows for some wobble. But of course not that much.

For the most part roads are pretty good around here but there are rough stretches. That is one reason I got the Domane. I think that and my 90 kg had more to do with it than speed. The spoke came off where it connects to the rim and I was able to slide it out through the hub. Still I could see the rim was deformed so I didn’t want to take any chances. Besides the mood was gone at that point and I was no longer enjoying my ride.

The shop owner is off with his team in another province but his wife said he will be back this next week to take care of the bike for me. Hopefully only need a new spoke and to re-true the wheel but we will discuss options when he sees the bike. It has been a few thousand kilometers so may as well let him give it a good once over.
I am thinking of changing the back gears to make climbing a little easier but not sure yet. Anyway I will let you know how it goes.

hehe something to think about if the bike brakes down below you, laugh.png

I had a customer with 120 kg who told me he jumps with the MTB 2 meter (high or wide??) and it always blows the seals in the shock absorber. (But the spokes hold). I made him some Hi-Tec one from a special material. Didn't hear back from him for 2 years now. Or maybe his intervertebral discs are already brokentongue.png

Most bicycles have a maximum weight limit of 125Kg.

So h90, he's near the limit, or over with a ruck.

I have a Giant Hybrid, rips back spokes all the time, usually off road on rough tracks.

A drop or a rock can easily break them.

Spokes are 10bht a time, plus fitting, hardly a major expense.

My last time, 3 spokes and trimming the wheel was 100bht, worked perfectly ever since.

I ride it home with up to 3 broken, just unscrew them by hand and throw them out.

MTBs are less likely to rip spokes, the suspension takes the brunt of the force from drop or rock.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

For the most part roads are pretty good around here but there are rough stretches. That is one reason I got the Domane. I think that and my 90 kg had more to do with it than speed.

90Kg ......... how can you ride so far and still be 15Kg overweight?

I do less than 1/2 your cycling (about 125Km/week), and have trouble keeping my weight (75Kg)

Not to mention you paid an extra 200,000bht for a bicycle 2.5Kg lighter bike than mine.

Maybe 90Kg was a typo?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Most bicycles have a maximum weight limit of 125Kg.

So h90, he's near the limit, or over with a ruck.

I have a Giant Hybrid, rips back spokes all the time, usually off road on rough tracks.

A drop or a rock can easily break them.

Spokes are 10bht a time, plus fitting, hardly a major expense.

My last time, 3 spokes and trimming the wheel was 100bht, worked perfectly ever since.

I ride it home with up to 3 broken, just unscrew them by hand and throw them out.

MTBs are less likely to rip spokes, the suspension takes the brunt of the force from drop or rock.

If the limit is 125 kg that he is not even close to the limit.

If the limit is 125 than the bike must hold it in every condition and age, so it must be calculate for 250. If you have a 300 bar scuba tank than there won't be some which explode already at 200 bar. They won't explode at 400 bar as well because of a big safety margin.

Of course a drop or a rock can easily brake them....no complain if that happens but in normal usage it should not, extreme dangerous.

For the most part roads are pretty good around here but there are rough stretches. That is one reason I got the Domane. I think that and my 90 kg had more to do with it than speed.

I do less than 1/2 your cycling (about 125Km/week), and have trouble keeping my weight (75Kg)

Not to mention you paid an extra 200,000bht for a bicycle 2.5Kg lighter bike than mine.

Maybe 90Kg was a typo?

What is the problem with it? For me the bike makes no difference at all on the weight, just I eat double if I go 80 km.

Maybe 90Kg was a typo?

What is the problem with it? For me the bike makes no difference at all on the weight, just I eat double if I go 80 km.

I don't seem to have any trouble maintaining my 94 kg. It just requires a bit of commitment.

I think the cycling helps, as there's a lot of calories in cider in the afternoon.

I have to say, though, VF, you don't look 90 kg - you might want to get your scales calibrated.

I don't quite see how 90 kg is 15 kg overweight. Everyone has their own perfect fighting weight,

SC

Maybe 90Kg was a typo?

I don't seem to have any trouble maintaining my 94 kg. It just requires a bit of commitment.

I think the cycling helps, as there's a lot of calories in cider in the afternoon.

I have to say, though, VF, you don't look 90 kg - you might want to get your scales calibrated.

I don't quite see how 90 kg is 15 kg overweight. Everyone has their own perfect fighting weight,

SC

Surely we have all noticed that everyone is different. Different body types and metabolisms lead to different outcomes from similar exercise. I still have a fair bit of muscle memory from my days of weightlifting and squash but I would be much happier at 80 kg than my present 90. I only ride a couple times a week because I hate routine and that apparently isn’t enough to reduce my weight. I feel much stronger as my distance increases and do well if I stay in zone 3 and 4 but I am a terrible climber and really suffer when I drift into zone 5 on the hills.

I swear my wife eats more than I do but in our 18 years together she hasn't fluctuated more than a kilo or two in either direction. I inhale around food and put on weight so I have to be very strict or workout very hard which gets harder as I get older. My wife worries if I don't eat and continually tempts me with things I find hard to resist. They say life isn't fair but I am so very blessed in so many ways that if all I have to worry about is a few extra kilos then I think I shall suffer in silence and see if I can't muster a bit more discipline. I fear I might become insufferable if were to manage a level of fitness I possessed in my forties. Perhaps my weight humanizes me just a bit.wink.png

Edited by villagefarang