Why are there so many English man living in Thailand?.

georgemandm

TunnelRat69, on 12 Jan 2015 - 01:25, said:

We need a TVF dictionary - what is a POM?? half of something a cheerleader shakes??facepalm.gif

POM or POMMIE is a term used by an Australian or New Zealander to describe a British man.

It can be used in a derogatory term or a friendly term depending on the context of it's use.

When used in a derogatory manner, I often remind the person that they are on the reverse side of the world to the UK.

Si if I'm a POM does that make them a MOP

If you are going to try and educate people Faz do try to get it right.

The term is niether POM or POMMIE, the correct term is POME and

has nothing to do with being British, it is all about being ENGLISH.

It is an acronym for Prisoner Of Mother England. And I have yet to meet

an Australian who actually knows this. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

every aussie i know does and please supply a link to your spelling

You do know what an "acronym " is don't you?? P.O.M.E.

Prisoner Of Mother England, no spelling verification required.

Do you know what a backronym is?

Yes

I went from 2500Euro a month working 80-100 hours a week back home (self-employed before the financial crisis) to 30,000Baht and working 15-16 hours a week teaching. As self-employed I payed 65% tax and fees, now I pay less than 10%. So of course I have less money but my life is as you say in Thai "Sabai sabai".

I had a sticker on my first car that explained it in a good way "Born free, taxed to death!"

And as many say, the immigrants. Ok I myself is an immigrant to Thailand. BUT when I start seeing the estimates that 30-40% of the population are immigrants, the Muslims are free to recruit people to join ISIS and you can't say anything because it's not PC then I lost my hope for my home country! Here in Thailand you as a foreigner must adopt and follow the Thai law and customs not the other way around!

Why does political parties like UKIP in the extreme right-wing get so much support... Because people are tired of the other parties always being PC!

So... I'm a little non PC...

And my last but not least reason for living here, my health! I have psoriasis and living in a country with only a little sun and cold weather is just not suitable for me, even now in Thailand as we have only 18C here in the village I can feel it in my skin and joints!

• Like 1

I went from 2500Euro a month working 80-100 hours a week back home (self-employed before the financial crisis) to 30,000Baht and working 15-16 hours a week teaching. As self-employed I payed 65% tax and fees, now I pay less than 10%. So of course I have less money but my life is as you say in Thai "Sabai sabai".

I had a sticker on my first car that explained it in a good way "Born free, taxed to death!"

And as many say, the immigrants. Ok I myself is an immigrant to Thailand. BUT when I start seeing the estimates that 30-40% of the population are immigrants, the Muslims are free to recruit people to join ISIS and you can't say anything because it's not PC then I lost my hope for my home country! Here in Thailand you as a foreigner must adopt and follow the Thai law and customs not the other way around!

Why does political parties like UKIP in the extreme right-wing get so much support... Because people are tired of the other parties always being PC!

And my last but not least reason for living here, my health! I have psoriasis and living in a country with only a little sun and cold weather is just not suitable for me, even now in Thailand as we have only 18C here in the village I can feel it in my skin and joints!

lol! you complain about immigrants to your home country in a post where you discuss your reasons for being an immigrant to thailand! theres that brit entitelment weve all grown to know and love!!

phuketjock, on 12 Jan 2015 - 10:00, said:
Faz, on 12 Jan 2015 - 06:13, said:
TunnelRat69, on 12 Jan 2015 - 01:25, said:TunnelRat69, on 12 Jan 2015 - 01:25, said:
gerry123, on 10 Jan 2015 - 08:36, said:gerry123, on 10 Jan 2015 - 08:36, said:

is it stick it to the POM season in January ??

We need a TVF dictionary - what is a POM?? half of something a cheerleader shakes??facepalm.gif

POM or POMMIE is a term used by an Australian or New Zealander to describe a British man.

It can be used in a derogatory term or a friendly term depending on the context of it's use.

When used in a derogatory manner, I often remind the person that they are on the reverse side of the world to the UK.

Not according to Wicki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_names_for_the_British

The terms pommy, pommie and pom, in Australia and New Zealand usually denotes an English person (or, less commonly, people from other parts of the UK).[7] The Oxford Dictionary defines their use as "often derogatory" [8] but after complaints to the Australian Advertising Standards Board regarding five advertisements poking fun at "Poms", the Board ruled in 2006 that these words are inoffensive, in part because they are "largely used in playful or affectionate terms".[9] The New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority made a similar ruling in 2010.[10]

There are several folk etymologies for Pommy or Pom. The best-documented of these is that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[11][12] According to this explanation, "pomegranate" was Australian rhyming slang for "immigrant" ("Jimmy Grant").[13] Usage of "pomegranate" for English people may have been strengthened by a belief in Australia that sunburn occurred more frequently among English immigrants, turning those with fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[14] Another explanation – now generally considered to be a false etymology – was that "pom" or "pommy" were derived from an acronym such as POM ("Prisoner of Millbank"), POME ("Prisoner of Mother England") or POHMS ("Prisoner Of Her Majesty's Service").[15] However, there is no evidence that such terms, or their acronyms, were used in Australia when "pom" and "pommy" entered use there.

I'm from England, I speak English, yet my passport states I'm British. Same/same.

'Prisoners of his Majesty' or 'Prisoners of Mother England' ? This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of "pommy" has been recorded at least as far back as 1915.

The most likely source of the term comes from the word 'pomegranate' being a red fruit which supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

Aw, shut up, Jeff, y' winging pom............is a typical example of it's use by an Australian.

Care to elaborate on that theory Jock. I guess we'll never know the true origin of the word.

Unusually, I moved here because I like Thailand, not because I hated England.

I particularly enjoyed how multicultural it was. Clearly others disagree.

That's fair enough. I don't hate England, but I do hate what the left wing (tories included) political elite did to my country's social culture and the burgeoning influence and interference of the EU in all aspects of British life.

As the saying goes: "If you don't like it, you could always leave". So with no regrets, I did and I now enjoy a modest lifestyle in rural Surin which suits me down to the ground.

• Like 1

TunnelRat69, on 12 Jan 2015 - 01:25, said:
gerry123, on 10 Jan 2015 - 08:36, said:

is it stick it to the POM season in January ??

Sorry mate, suggest you look further afield.

"Another explanation – now generally considered to be a false etymology – was that "pom" or "pommy" were derived from an acronym such as POM ("Prisoner of Millbank"), POME ("Prisoner of Mother England") or POHMS ("Prisoner Of Her Majesty's Service").[15] However, there is no evidence that such terms, or their acronyms, were used in Australia when "pom" and "pommy" entered use there."

• Like 2

lol! you complain about immigrants to your home country in a post where you discuss your reasons for being an immigrant to thailand! theres that brit entitelment weve all grown to know and love!!

What kasset Tak wrote is perfectly acceptable and reasonable to me. Immigration and the flow of people around the world is perfectly acceptable if it is managed in the correct way and doesn't penalise or harm the indigenous population and public services can manage rather than cope. The British people are very welcoming and tolerent, but we also know when enough is enough. I never got the argument that immigrants do the work that the British won't do, because the lazy dossers that choose to live a lifestyle of benefits should be made to do that work or lose those benefits. 2,500,000 without work yet the "foreigners" seem to be able to find it. He also made the point as I have that to stay here we have to meet the conditions of our visa and abide by Thai law. No throngs of protesting foreigners here spitting out bile and hatred of it's armed forces and demanding rights because of racial or religious ideology.

You do know what an "acronym " is don't you?? P.O.M.E.

Prisoner Of Mother England, no spelling verification required.

like I said, please find a reference to POME in any urban dictionary, real dictionary or any other reference. I know I can for POM and POMMY and POMMIE. Just because you say something doesnt make it true. show me some usage.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/pome coffee1.gif

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pom

http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/discoverycentre/your-questions/ten-pound-poms/

http://www.exodus2013.co.uk/the-ten-pound-pom/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7217889.stm

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pom

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pommyhttp://www.internetslang.com/POM-meaning-definition.asp

http://www.acronymfinder.com/POM.html

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pom

What kasset Tak wrote is perfectly acceptable and reasonable to me. Immigration and the flow of people around the world is perfectly acceptable if it is managed in the correct way and doesn't penalise or harm the indigenous population and public services can manage rather than cope. The British people are very welcoming and tolerent, but we also know when enough is enough. I never got the argument that immigrants do the work that the British won't do, because the lazy dossers that choose to live a lifestyle of benefits should be made to do that work or lose those benefits. 2,500,000 without work yet the "foreigners" seem to be able to find it. He also made the point as I have that to stay here we have to meet the conditions of our visa and abide by Thai law. No throngs of protesting foreigners here spitting out bile and hatred of it's armed forces and demanding rights because of racial or religious ideology.

thaivisa is full of them. and abiding by thai law?? lol

• Like 1

I must be one of the few who still loves to spend time back in England.

4 seasons, each so different. Howling gales, snow, the cold winters.

Birds singing. Wild life.

Honesty and integrity ( in the main).

Reliable products at good prices. Consumer protection.

Cheap cars. Cheap food.

Far superior health care.

We can pretty much say what we like about who we want to say it about.

Decent policing.

And a whole lot more.

Yes, there are many negatives, at least we can talk about them freely.

I was with you there until you got to decent policing

Obsessed with meeting targets, preying on easy criminals ie the motorist, failure to investigate crimes by fobbing off complaints with a crime number, turning a blind eye to crimes against children because of political correctness and fear of offending immigrant groups, eg Rotherham. Not blaming individual officers, just the policy and of course the judicial system that lets scum back onto the streets even when the police have done a good job.

The good things I miss are the rock concerts, motorbike racing, real ale, pubs and err, err, err traffic jams, speed cameras and visiting the town centre to observe and wonder how it all ended up like this

i didnt realize the catholic church was an immigrant group

No argument from me about the baddies in the Catholic Church, but my post was with regard to what happened in Rotherham. In fact, while I'm at it I could mention the ongoing investigation into those "honourable members of the house of commons and lords" which is being fillibustered and will no doubt fail to identify the slimiest, sleaziest scum of the earth, alive or dead and those poor abused and murdered children will be failed by the "system" yet again.

Now we have "meany" "veetables"; which I am not looking forward to sampling. The answer is quite simple..and not just Brits...masses of Germans, Norwegians etc....possibly even Croatians and Russians....though why anyone from Greece or Italy or Oz or Canada would choose LOS is a mystery to me..Also anything would be better than The People's Democratic Republic of America. If you were living in a high rise flat in Birmingham or Dusseldorf and you discover what your pension can buy here...sun, sea, sand, land, p***y..why not?. Nottingham or Bremen on a Friday night maybe fun for some. The UK? Overpriced houses, cheap wine, rain, 1960s TV, Waitrose, M25, Council and Bedroom Tax, Scottish Power, South West Trains............Not very attractive is it?

First of all... I'm not British, I'm Swedish.

And my complaint is that rather that the immigrants adjust to their new country's rules and culture the countries, bout Sweden and UK adjust to the immigrants. Here in Thailand we as immigrants/foreigners must adjust to Thai law and culture. I go to the temple, I pay my tax, I'm following the laws, I learned to speak Thai and I'm now considered part of the Thai society!

• Like 1

Because they can't shag beautiful third world prostitutes for 20 quid a pop back in the UK. That would only get you a BJ from a drug addict round the back of some council estate in the East End. That said, most would have trouble shagging anything. English women tend to be a tad more picky than those in Thailand desperate for a financial donor.

OP, i feel it a bit strange that you comment on the number of Brits living in Thailand.

Are you worried that in the long run that its going to turn out like Australia?

After all, (modern) Australia was based on the influence of our exported examples of British culture.

Give it a century and Bkk might remind you of Sydney.......................wink.png

I have a theory that stated that Britain began to decline shortly after Australia was founded. Were the most enterprising and ambitious shipped out to Oz at great cost to the "mother" country?

your 100% right I've lived here full time for 15 years and im from the uk its crap back there and don't even mention the tax's

Amusing and timely piece from Stickman this week on what

he calls 'Thailand Tragics'. Having read a few of your posts, I

think you'd qualify as one very comfortably. Give it a once

over then have a look in the mirror.

4. Do you speak ill of your own country in general (as opposed to individual aspects of the country) and declare that so long as you have a choice you would never live there again?

There's something deeply disturbing about Westerners who trash-talk their country of birth. They overlook the benefits of a first world education, growing up in a country where you're encouraged to think for yourself, where freedom of speech is a right and everything about their homeland which helped them get to where they are today.

It's one thing to say that you prefer to live in Thailand - whatever the reason(s) may be - but trashing your own country is often the domain of those attempting to justify their decision to live in a country where the truth is more likely that they're not anything like as happy as they make out to be and they're desperately trying to convince themselves that they are!

I have always been made to feel very welcome by the people that matter and make the decisions in Thailand. I have always been helped by the authorities to settle and enjoy my retirement with no hassle what so ever. I have a good circle of true friends both English and Thai. I asked my wife a question that was posed by another poster (Klong) - do we have business arrangement? or are you really happy to be in a relationship with an English man and share everything that I am able to provide. After she stopped laughing became very angry at this suggestion. I wish people would think before they post upset many people with their ill informed views.

The 'people that matter'?? Oh no, not another connected

bwana. Klong's question wasn't offensive-a lot of local women

and foreign men are in a business arrangement; does that come

as a shock to you?

• Like 1

OP, i feel it a bit strange that you comment on the number of Brits living in Thailand.

Are you worried that in the long run that its going to turn out like Australia?

After all, (modern) Australia was based on the influence of our exported examples of British culture.

Give it a century and Bkk might remind you of Sydney.......................wink.png

You say

I was under the impression it was based on British Criminals who couldn't do a thing on their own and would have died had it not been for the helpful Aborigines.

For my self am an American I enjoy the Thai culture. I admit I do not fit into it completely how ever I am accepted in it where ever I go. I am sure that their are places that might not accept me but there are more than enough that do accept me.

Guys, guys, guys ! Will you never learn. This ratbag is winding you all up. It's his hobby, pass time. He sucked me in originally. I sent several replies to his idiot posts & responses. Called him all sort of things, trying to imitate, very poorly, an Aussie.

Actually he can write quite sensibly & literate when he's not playing games.

Cheers..... Mal.

you are a nog mate get a life haha

Guys, guys, guys ! Will you never learn. This ratbag is winding you all up. It's his hobby, pass time. He sucked me in originally. I sent several replies to his idiot posts & responses. Called him all sort of things, trying to imitate, very poorly, an Aussie.

Cheers..... Mal.

sorry not my mate just a nog get a life , you think you know ever thing , but I was just asking because thailand is full of poms .

Mr Toad, meany or not, was right in one of his earlier posts. The Brits are natural travellers and settlers. Has been that way for centuries. We are also natural philanthropists - so being the best educated nation in the world, we like to go out and teach the world's natives how to be civilised. Hasn't worked in Thailand yet of course

It's a shame you didn't start that in your own Country first before venturing out in the big wide world.

Oh dear! Another poor misguided soul who only believes the populist view of history (probably Hollywood's). Bet he also thinks it was the Brits who introduced slavery to Africa.

Cheers..... Mal.

sorry not my mate just a nog get a life , you think you know ever thing , but I was just asking because thailand is full of poms .

at least your calling me a pom and not a falang,!!

and please its mister rich pom,,,lol

and handsom

phuketjock, on 12 Jan 2015 - 10:00, said:
Faz, on 12 Jan 2015 - 06:13, said:
TunnelRat69, on 12 Jan 2015 - 01:25, said:TunnelRat69, on 12 Jan 2015 - 01:25, said:

Not according to Wicki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_names_for_the_British

The terms pommy, pommie and pom, in Australia and New Zealand usually denotes an English person (or, less commonly, people from other parts of the UK).[7] The Oxford Dictionary defines their use as "often derogatory" [8] but after complaints to the Australian Advertising Standards Board regarding five advertisements poking fun at "Poms", the Board ruled in 2006 that these words are inoffensive, in part because they are "largely used in playful or affectionate terms".[9] The New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority made a similar ruling in 2010.[10]

There are several folk etymologies for Pommy or Pom. The best-documented of these is that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[11][12] According to this explanation, "pomegranate" was Australian rhyming slang for "immigrant" ("Jimmy Grant").[13] Usage of "pomegranate" for English people may have been strengthened by a belief in Australia that sunburn occurred more frequently among English immigrants, turning those with fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[14] Another explanation – now generally considered to be a false etymology – was that "pom" or "pommy" were derived from an acronym such as POM ("Prisoner of Millbank"), POME ("Prisoner of Mother England") or POHMS ("Prisoner Of Her Majesty's Service").[15] However, there is no evidence that such terms, or their acronyms, were used in Australia when "pom" and "pommy" entered use there.

I'm from England, I speak English, yet my passport states I'm British. Same/same.

'Prisoners of his Majesty' or 'Prisoners of Mother England' ? This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of "pommy" has been recorded at least as far back as 1915.

The most likely source of the term comes from the word 'pomegranate' being a red fruit which supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

Aw, shut up, Jeff, y' winging pom............is a typical example of it's use by an Australian.

Care to elaborate on that theory Jock. I guess we'll never know the true origin of the word.

I am Scottish and I also speak English my passport is European and states that I am a British citizen from

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and I suspect your passport states exactly the

same. So not really same same.

I believe the origin of the term comes from the 50s/60s when many Brits took up the offer of assisted passage

to Australia and New Zealand and found that for whatever reason many could not cope with the massive

changes in making such a journey and made the decision to return to UK, hence the term Prisoner Of Mother

England or P.O.M.E. Perhaps it was the thought that they would have to spend the rest of their lives with the

locals, and I don't mean the Aborigines, or the Kiwis. cheesy.gif

We get wonderful weather in Britain compared with the rest of the world. No hurricanes.No earthquakes. No Tsunamies.No bush or forest fires.No serious flooding.No avalanches.No serious disasters caused by the weather.No sandstorms.

The four seasons give us an ever changing variety which is much better than the never changing weather you get in Australia etc. It must be so boring. It always makes me laugh when people from the USA,Australia etc who have all these weather disasters criticise Britain at the mere sight of a few drops of rain.

Maybe,it is an outlet for the jealousy that is always there. Great Britain is truly great and it always will be.

Jock, I asked an Australian where the term POM came from, he replied because all POM's are LIMEY's......which basically means they don't know either.

Anyway back to the topic 'why are there so many English man living in Thailand.'

When I decided to leave the UK, I actually considered Australia as an alternative destination to Thailand.

So I decided to weigh up the pros and cons of both.

Australia had lots of Cons, but Thailand had lots more Pros................. whistling.gif

Edited by Faz

Most of the UK guys are retired. And would starve and freeze in the UK on their pension from the state, they also may be divorced from fat ugly wives who took a lot of their assets, a lot of the guys are here for the weather and pussy, not a dogs chance in the UK of them pulling some eye candy.

Some are here because it's the only place in the world where they could get sex due to them being fat, ugly half broke and semi literate. Some are here with money and brains and love the life style.

• Like 1

I have met many British people in Thailand. Some were offensive, many were glued to football games on the tele, and many were very cordial; but I could only understand about 10% of the entire lot. As for Australians, better to write down what you want to say except for the gentleman who started this forum topic- what is he going on about?