‘Mafia island’: From paradise to bloodshed

Lite Beer

This won't slow down tourism there.

How many check for sinister news stories when booking a ticket?

You're kidding, right?

Agoda shows that most hotels on koh tao are currently full or near full :)

Agoda also claims its prices are 40 - 70% cheaper. Next time you use Agoda just call the hotel directly...you'll be surprised how much money you didn't save. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

hit the mafia where it hurts the most, (in the pocket) avoid the place and give it back to the fishermen

Hit the Mafia where it hurts the most? Pocket ? Give it back to the fishermen?

There is only one way to cripple Koh Tao.

Send it to Hollywood and let the whole world know about it.

But then you cripple Thailand as a whole..

Unless you blame on Burma People.

Has not anyone ruled out a serial faring killer on the loose, maybe a scuba diving instructor.

google, Charles Sobraj.

Maybe these killings are all connected, but it might not even be Thai or Burma.

Thats cos this guy maybe too clever..

That makes him Western..

Or Sean McSobraj

Excuse me, If it is that bad then the Army needs to go down and clean-up the place, feed to bad ones to the sharks or deep six them. The world does not need bad guys !!

Have the army been able to sort out the problems in South Thailand with the muslims in the last 10 + years ?

What's all the fuss? We all know that this will be covered up just like the last murders. There is no rule of law against the rich and powerful.

Rich and powerful are what you give them...deprive them of this through active and/or passive resistance...people for too long have let these scumbags rule according to law..THEIR laws that they have created to protect their lying, thieving ways..wake-up and end it. IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

People have tried, the hisos can't have that, now we have the army calling the shots. Simple.

You're kidding, right?

Nope.

The only reason I know is from being a member here. How did you find out?

Stories like this don't even make the news in most countries.

Plenty of murders happen in Thailand, it's not these things that stop tourists. You stop and think to keep your wits about you perhaps, but still holiday there.

Let's see how tourist numbers drop from this particular case.

It was world news, being reported on BBC, CNN, ABC to name but a few, and it was reported in many of the international news papers ... I guess you don't have much interest in media outlets!

• Like 1

What's all the fuss? We all know that this will be covered up just like the last murders. There is no rule of law against the rich and powerful.

No, I think you are wrong. This mafia island is coming too much in the spotlight now so they will soon understand they cannot afford any wrongdoing anymore.

May be even justice will be done one day.

Guessing that things like the recent gruesome double murder (of course "not committed by Thai"), the suspicious death of an Englishman one year ago, the recent death of a diver and now this unclear death have happened all the time and been swept under the carpet it is good that the crimes over there are now coming into public and the internet is watching.

Sometimes things have to become worse until they can get better - even if I doubt in this Koh Tao case that they are worse now - it might be just things are uncovered.

Whoever killed the Frenchman may be the same people that killed the man who fell to his death with no bruises, I think some females are working with this scum, setting up falangs when they are pissed as chooks, but what about the motivation what is the motive? seems to not be much motive or we have not heard of any such as theft, then rape in the other case is a motivation but two deaths that are obviously not suicide have to have a female involved unless these men were gay then a nasty katoi might be to blame, the media in this country don't watch Koh Tao, quite pathetic but people are watching-- however the old saying goes and that is, "if you tell a lie long enough people will start to believe it".

Can anyone throw any light on motivation??

You're kidding, right?

Agoda shows that most hotels on koh tao are currently full or near full smile.png

Must be difficult to make people check out when the guests have their hands tied behind their back and are swinging from a noose though...

Post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

The French guys suicide looks iffy - tied hands is a tad difficult like that and a note written in English? And what happened to Sam Austin from Bristol - reported to have died their and then complete media silence.

People should think carefully before they go there - but many won't or simply will go anyway.

The cash will keep rolling in and greasing the wheels.

Like all of the Koh Tao threads there is so much info to read and I don't know where to begin -- can anyone confirm...was the "suicide note" that was recovered written in English as stated by Baerboxer? And not in French (or Russian)??? If true, that would be very suspicious!

"There was hand written note on his bed that said, in French, “Iris, I love you. Suicide seems easy but it is actually difficult.”"

There is a lot of misinformation regarding Koh Tao lately, you shouldn't believe any claim not supported by sources.

No, I think you are wrong. This mafia island is coming too much in the spotlight now so they will soon understand they cannot afford any wrongdoing anymore.

May be even justice will be done one day.

Guessing that things like the recent gruesome double murder (of course "not committed by Thai"), the suspicious death of an Englishman one year ago, the recent death of a diver and now this unclear death have happened all the time and been swept under the carpet it is good that the crimes over there are now coming into public and the internet is watching.

Sometimes things have to become worse until they can get better - even if I doubt in this Koh Tao case that they are worse now - it might be just things are uncovered.

Whoever killed the Frenchman may be the same people that killed the man who fell to his death with no bruises, I think some females are working with this scum, setting up falangs when they are pissed as chooks, but what about the motivation what is the motive? seems to not be much motive or we have not heard of any such as theft, then rape in the other case is a motivation but two deaths that are obviously not suicide have to have a female involved unless these men were gay then a nasty katoi might be to blame, the media in this country don't watch Koh Tao, quite pathetic but people are watching-- however the old saying goes and that is, "if you tell a lie long enough people will start to believe it".

Can anyone throw any light on motivation??

Besides the misinformation there is, of course, the outright lies.

"Whoever killed the Frenchman may be the same people that killed the man who fell to his death with no bruises,"

Meanwhile, in the real world: “There were some bruises on his face. He could have fell, bumped, or been assaulted. From a pathologist’s point of view, his injuries are not from an assault but I can’t rule it out.”

Quote : Associate Professor Charnkanit Krittiya Suriyamanee, a criminologist and lecturer at the faculty of social science and humanities of Mahidol University told Thai PBS that if he’d hung himself, the bruises should have appeared on his neck, but not his wrists.

And it takes an 'associate professor, cirminologist and lecturer' from a prestigious Thai faculty to say that death by hanging produces bruises on the neck rather than the wrists ? Such breathtaking knowledge and expertise leaves everyone in awe, I'm sure.

Whilst the parents have a deep vested interest in their son who died and possibly do not have access to the full facts their statements are very worrying:

The parents of a British holidaymaker who died in suspicious circumstances in Thailand are convinced he was murdered – and the killing covered up to protect tourism.
His parents are battling to disprove the official version of events. They think he may have been followed back to his holiday bungalow and killed. Despite being warned to keep quiet by people on the island, the family have refused to be silenced.
Tracy said: “It seems like they just want to protect their tourist industry but we need to know what happened.”
“For us it’s horrendous, a living nightmare. We have to face the awful reality we might never get the answers we need.
"I just hope that one day someone will get to the bottom of what’s happening on Koh Tao, and what really happened to our wonderful son.”
She added: “We are sure our son was murdered but no one claims to know anything.
"We will keep campaigning for justice. We hope that having Koh Tao in the spotlight might help.”
"We knew he liked a Thai girl he’d met and we wondered if that had caused offence, and that someone followed him and did him harm.”
She added: “The police didn’t look at his room or the area where he was found. There was no attempt to investigate.
"They spent most of their time laughing and joking as we asked questions.”
Tracy said her son Matt was warned there are “powerful people on the island”, and that the family should leave rather than stirring up trouble.
They also heard other holidaymakers had died on the island and their bodies “thrown into the water in the hope they’d be washed away”.

You're kidding, right?

Nope.

The only reason I know is from being a member here. How did you find out?

Stories like this don't even make the news in most countries.

Plenty of murders happen in Thailand, it's not these things that stop tourists. You stop and think to keep your wits about you perhaps, but still holiday there.

Let's see how tourist numbers drop from this particular case.

It was world news, being reported on BBC, CNN, ABC to name but a few, and it was reported in many of the international news papers ... I guess you don't have much interest in media outlets!

I think if there was more information about the case it would make front page, but it's a page 4 story at the moment in Australia.

To get stats then its worked out by capita, perhaps you did'nt know that well you do now, its like comparing deaths in Phuket to Koh Tao, unless you take into account resident numbers then its not a reliable indication

Wrong again, statistics on tourist deaths are calculated on the number of tourists that actual visit that particular place, not on the number of residents.

But hey, why let get facts in the way of a good conspiracy.

Before you start to ridicule other posters, please get your own facts straight!!

Koh Tao doesn't have 1 million visitors a year as claimed by you, but 100.000 !!

So please do your numbers again, and report back here!! (A little red in the face hopefully)

100.000 visitors a year on Koh Tao cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thailand had 24 million visitor last year 1 million went to Koh Tao and the rest went elsewhere. Tho according to this ...http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/koh-samui-tourism-statistics/ 480.000 went to Koh Samui airport. So we can assume That they then all had babies which doubled there numbers to a million and then all went to Koh Tao, leaving the rest of the islands devoid of visitors.

Sounds like they have the Thai Hunger Games going on there

was a good one.. But can someone answer , what buisness did this guy have there, and what can be the motive for clean him out of this system ?

Go to the suspect bar, and say that you are a close acquaintance with Sean McAnna, and are in daily contact with him, and that he has disclosed information to you, and see what happens. LULZ. clap2.gif

Thailand had 24 million visitor last year 1 million went to Koh Tao and the rest went elsewhere. Tho according to this ...http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/koh-samui-tourism-statistics/ 480.000 went to Koh Samui airport. So we can assume That they then all had babies which doubled there numbers to a million and then all went to Koh Tao, leaving the rest of the islands devoid of visitors.

Must be as you say, because how would you explain that there were 1.5 million tourist in Samui if there were only 480.000 arrivals? Not my figures, but from some authority on everything Koh Tao and Samui.

Ever heard about people traveling around by car or bus and visiting more than 1 place in Thailand?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/790952-mafia-island-from-paradise-to-bloodshed/?p=8924942

I notice the 2013 figures for Samui is 1.5 million

Edited by Anthony5

Last published tourist figures for Koh Tao was 141,000 but that was back in 2006. I guess to give them the benefit of the doubt you could now double that. http://en.kohtaozone.com/dec/en-chiffres.php

Since 2006 the overall tourist arrivals in Thailand has more than doubled, apart from that the percentage of young tourists is higher than in 2006.

KoH Tao attracts the young tourists.

Must be as you say, because how would you explain that there were 1.5 million tourist in Samui if there were only 480.000 arrivals? Not my figures, but from some authority on everything Koh Tao and Samui.

Ever heard about people traveling around by car or bus and visiting more than 1 place in Thailand?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/790952-mafia-island-from-paradise-to-bloodshed/?p=8924942

I notice the 2013 figures for Samui is 1.5 million

No sure how easy it is to drive a bus or a car to Koh Tao. I would imagine the engine would get flooded.

So lets take 1.5 million. You are saying out of that lot 1 million went to Koh Tao ? You seem to enjoy looking for links. How many hotel rooms are there on that island ? And taking it that the busy season would have lets say 4 times as many visitors as low season. we would need at least 6000 rooms taking two people to a room.

Last published tourist figures for Koh Tao was 141,000 but that was back in 2006. I guess to give them the benefit of the doubt you could now double that. http://en.kohtaozone.com/dec/en-chiffres.php

Since 2006 the overall tourist arrivals in Thailand has more than doubled, apart from that the percentage of young tourists is higher than in 2006.

Really, not in Koh Samui who had tourist arrival numbers of 1,030,623 in 2006 and in 2013 it was 1.5 million, http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/02/22/business/business_30066093.php

If foreigners just took a few moments and did some research there would be far fewer problems between foreigner and Thai. There are numerous examples all over the web of foreigners just having no common sense. Alcohol does wonders and the lack of common sense hits bottom . Koh Tao and the province of Surat it is easy for anyone with eyes wide open and half a brain to see the mafia is in total control. Just avoid where the majority of foreigners go and all the problems magically and mysterious go away. But the Full Moon Party folks are so out to lunch nothing matters. They seem to care less if all the money goes towards the local mafia. If that is not brain dead i don,t know what is. Foreigners need to take some responsibility for their own stupid actions.

• Like 1

As I wrote yesterday, if Koh Tao had 141,000 visitors in 2006, there would have to have been a 609% increase since those numbers to be over 1,000,000 now.

If, as you say, visitor numbers have doubled (100%) since 2006, that would only make 282,000; however, since the only figures we can get show Samui numbers have only increased by 45.5%, if we apply that growth to Koh Tao we only get 205,155.

Give it up already. If they could ever squeeze 1,000,000 visitors in a year on to Koh Tao, it wouldn't be worth going to.

The French guys suicide looks iffy - tied hands is a tad difficult like that and a note written in English? And what happened to Sam Austin from Bristol - reported to have died their and then complete media silence.

People should think carefully before they go there - but many won't or simply will go anyway.

The cash will keep rolling in and greasing the wheels.

Like all of the Koh Tao threads there is so much info to read and I don't know where to begin -- can anyone confirm...was the "suicide note" that was recovered written in English as stated by Baerboxer? And not in French (or Russian)??? If true, that would be very suspicious!

"There was hand written note on his bed that said, in French, “Iris, I love you. Suicide seems easy but it is actually difficult.”"

There is a lot of misinformation regarding Koh Tao lately, you shouldn't believe any claim not supported by sources.

Thanks for that.