Police senior sergeant major killed by racing motorcyclist

Lite Beer

While the boys shouldn't be racing on the streets, and therefore the kid who hit the cop is liable, I have had a few times when I was riding along and a cop strode out from a hiding spot, directly into my path, his hand held up in the stop gesture, his face stern with unspoken rebuke. I had to hit my brakes full on to stop in time, just barely managing not to hit him - and I have been trained in track riding to brake properly (...as opposed to many riders out there who just use their back brake, or 'grab' their brakes in a panic, rather than applying increasing pressure to let the front tyre compress and get a better grip).

In each case, it was as if the policeman believed that the authority conferred upon him by his uniform generated some invisible force field that made it impossible for a mere mortal to plow into him. In fact, what they were doing was bordering on suicidal.

Anyone else ever encounter that?

I one time knocked the clip board out of the bibs hand as he was holding it out running infront of me, i had both wheels front and back on the point of locking up,

Another time i seen one run out into the road in an attempt to stop some bikes in the middle lane over taking, but he ran directly into the path of a pickup truck, poor driver had no time to react, the bone crunching sound on impact was terrible,

Amazing what they will do for a few bht.

Edited by tingtongfarang
  • Like 1

Whilst I feel sorry for the family of the deceased, I would wager he employed the standard method of stopping vehicles here, which is to run into the road.

I am not a racer. Many is the time I have been riding along the road when a policeman has jumped from hidden behind a lorry into the 2nd or 3rd lane and I have had to swerve to avoid him.

I would wager the set-up to catch these racers was something like that. In this day and age, we have a wide range of technology available including cameras. There is mountains of research into how to stop speeding and dangerous drivers.

However the checkpoint seems to be the be all and end all of Thai traffic policing so we can't expect to see something similar to this next year and the year after.

Spike strips are one. But they are unknown in Thailand.

some months ago I read that they get serious to stop those dangerous nighttime motorbike races at Bangkoks main arteries. I live near one of those main arteries and while several hundred meters away from that main road, I hear the noises of the speeding motocy again after midnight, particularly during weekends, after it had dried out for a few weeks end of last year.

it seems like a HYDRA that can only get worse and grow even more arms..... like with many things in the Kingdom, sadly (Taxi Mafia in tourist towns, for example)

Police said the boy is a son of a senior Army officer in the province

Speaks volumes that they included that line in the narrative. They may as well just have written 'He's connected, he'll get clean away with it'' but probably didn't have the bottle to go into full implications of dealing with a military officer. Thoughts go out to the copper and his family. One hopes the lad sees the inside of a jail for the next 20 years of his life but we all know he'll maybe get a slap on the wrist, publicly, at worst, then it will all go away....

Street racing in Aranyprathet, Thailand's main border town to Cambodia. Where were they heading to?

Sa Kaew is a sparsely populated provice. When I lived in AP the kids used to love to race between AP and Amphur Sa Kaew. The road is twisty turny, light on traffic, which can make for a white knuckle bus or car ride at any speed at all, so I can imagine how much 'fun' it could be for a kid on a bike.

I know, I've been there many times and during the day it's a busy road leading to the border. That's the main reason anyone goes there - there's basically only one or two ways out of Aran - north to Buri Ram or west to Sa Kaew and Bangkok. East is to Cambodia and that's a no go for a private vehicle at that border.

I hear the weather in Singapore is nice this time of year.

No need to travel. Compare with the last unlicenced under-age motorised killer.

The one involved in this incident was under-aged and had no licence?

'16 year old motorcyclist'. QED

Hardly QED.

In Thailand the legal age for riding a motorcycle up to 110cc is 15.

That's not to say that the rider in this particular incident actually had a licence nor that the motorbike was within the cc limit.

Interesting to hear the outcome of this story.

I hope we get an update.

May Wichai Raksilp Rests in Peace.

Don't know if we hear an update, but I'm sure the boy and his parents will be punished as they deserve to be.

The days of being lenient have gone......we are experiencing a new era in Thailand.

Ah Mr Costos! So you say! We know the boy will walk, the red bull boy walked, the girl who killed those people in the van....walked, the sons of the MAN walked! A pip on the shoulder or 10 million in the bank....your children walk! bah.gifsad.pngwai.gif

I hope we get an update.

Don't know if we hear an update, but I'm sure the boy and his parents will be punished as they deserve to be.

The days of being lenient have gone......we are experiencing a new era in Thailand.

Whatever you are smoking, I want some......................

You are becoming so naive, that it is almost funny (or depressing?)..................

So you have no qualms in breaking the law. then?

Like Costas said the days of being lenient are over.

So I would watch what I smoke If I was you.

• Like 1

...with 'children' reaching puberty at 10 years old now.....time to start trying 16-year-olds as adults.....

...but then you hear........'Plans to release criminals from prison due to overcrowding'....

....I hope they sort this thing out based on what is good for society rather than 'What inconveniences whom'.....

...Otherwise....good luck to us all....

...my condolences to the police officer's family........just trying to do the right thing....alas......greatly outnumbered.....

I hope we get an update.

They will probably take away his motorcycle, at least until it is repaired.

• Like 1

...with 'children' reaching puberty at 10 years old now.....time to start trying 16-year-olds as adults.....

...but then you hear........'Plans to release criminals from prison due to overcrowding'....

....I hope they sort this thing out based on what is good for society rather than 'What inconveniences whom'.....

...Otherwise....good luck to us all....

...my condolences to the police officer's family........just trying to do the right thing....alas......greatly outnumbered.....

Reaching puberty, as in physical growth, has nothing to do with mental development or cognitive understanding and development, which continues long after pubescence. To try somebody in a court because of pure physical development, i.e. as an adult aged 16 as you refer to, has no grounds to implicate having reached adulthood. Please bear such in mind. ;)

I hope we get an update.

Is this based on people actually going to jail or more like a statement of hope? I see lots of transfers, suspended sentencing, and all out cases dropped.....no actual jail time.

The boy has a very important father. And we ALL know what that means in Thailand. Condolences to the cop. So much for justice, or any semblance of it.

....and I bet before the event the kid had the permanent ingrained thought in his brain "I can do what the hell I like, as my old man is an army officer".

That to me is an equally worrying part of this - providing I am right of course.

I hope we get an update.

Nope, not at all.

If the deceased family is offered sufficient compensation, no charges will be brought.

In the west, if something like this happened, the guilty person would go to jail.

How would that help the family of the deceased?

I'm not saying it's right - just a different way of doing things.

Edited by laislica

The 16-year-old motorcyclist was injured and detained at the hospital. Police said the boy is a son of a senior Army officer in the province.

Says it all really. You already know the outcome. Worst case scenario will be a slap on the wrist and payment to the police officer's family.

No justice and no accountability, none at all, in this country.

If they MUST resolve these sorts of cases with a financial settlement to the victim's family, wouldn't it be nice if a realistic amount of compensation was paid.

Suppose this dead officer was 30 years old, earning 20,000 ฿ a month (no idea whether or not that's realistic), quite possibly promoted if he'd not been killed, retiring at 60 with maybe 15-20 years of retirement. So perhaps a realistic level of compensation would be 15+ million ฿ rather than the pittance that's likely to be offered.

RIP for the officer...

If you drive often up-country, you sure have noticed some of this road-block police officers really jump in front of cars for whatever reason they want to stop him, but it is dangerous to do so, and could cause serious injury or dead !

So look and think twice before you try to stop any speeding vehicle by jumping on the road .

I hope we get an update.

Are all specs in Greece rose-coloured? Maybe just yellow-coloured.

• Like 1

I hope we get an update.

New ERA in Thailand? What are you smoking? It's the same as it ever was. RedBull heir goes unpunished for running down a cop while high on coke. Two Burmese stitched up for murders Thais committed. Come on, Costas. You're blowing smoke. Nothing is new in the wind in Thailand.

• Like 1

The 16-year-old motorcyclist was injured and detained at the hospital. Police said the boy is a son of a senior Army officer in the province.

Says it all really. You already know the outcome. Worst case scenario will be a slap on the wrist and payment to the police officer's family.

No justice and no accountability, none at all, in this country.

If they MUST resolve these sorts of cases with a financial settlement to the victim's family, wouldn't it be nice if a realistic amount of compensation was paid.

Suppose this dead officer was 30 years old, earning 20,000 ฿ a month (no idea whether or not that's realistic), quite possibly promoted if he'd not been killed, retiring at 60 with maybe 15-20 years of retirement. So perhaps a realistic level of compensation would be 15+ million ฿ rather than the pittance that's likely to be offered.

Doubt he was earning 20k per month but he was probably still in debt for the loan he took to be able to pay to be accepted in the rtp, promotion is not a possibility unless he pocketed enough corruption money to pay or take out another loan often from the same people he would have been paying it too.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I hope we get an update.

sure, recently there have been changes/improvements here at certain levels here but care to give any examples where the connected or rich have been brought to book for their misdemeanours?

• Like 1

As Costas has already pointed out, we are in a new era and even if we aren't you need to accept that in Thailand it is all about who you know, period. All the posts that say "hang em high" are wasting their breath. Be aware of it and then let it go as you cannot change it. Those with money and influence will always get the benefits, that is how it is here. Realise it and stop whinging, it does no good.

Echo the comments about police running into the road to stop vehicles, putting themselves and everyone on the road in danger. Usually no one can figure out who they even want to pull over, making it even more dangerous. Once on my bike a cop came running out like that and three cars and a pick up which incorrectly thought they were the targets almost hit me. Complaining to the poloce did no good, they couldn't figure out what was dangerous.

That said the kid was at fault too. But there are other ways to get them to stop than running out into the middle of the race.

• Like 1

Speaking of senior army officers, has anyone heard anything lately about what's happening with the major general who had been allegedly extorting money from the Pat Pong business community? I doubt a suitable punishment will be handed to this yoof for mowing down the cop.