Is it safe for a young British female to live in Bangkok?

loraporz

Hi all.

I'm (supposed to be) moving to Bangkok on the 21st of this month to take on a one year teaching contract.

I'm a 26 year old British female.

I've frequented Pattaya plenty in the past (I have family living there) and lived out there for 3 months last year while teaching in a summer camp. My contract ended just as the military took over, and from what I've read, a lot has changed in the country since because of that.

I'm well aware of the corruption in Thailand and the tourist scams etc, but what I'm worried about is how much it has worsened, particularly in Bangkok, since the army came into power.

I don't know Bangkok at all. I visited once a couple of years ago, and never had any trouble. But a lot has changed since then and I've read a lot about farangs being randomly tested for drugs, being pulled over during taxi/tuk tuk rides, and being threatened with 'fines' to get out of whatever.

What I want to know, is how likely is a young white female such as myself likely to find myself in the aforementioned scenarios. As I said, I really do not know much about Bangkok and the dangers of living there, and I'd really like some second opinions from people living there currently, who can tell me about what it's like now, before fully committing to this contract.

All help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you in advance.

Why are you worried about random drug testing? Please, please, please don't do drugs in Thailand or have drugs in your system when you enter.......especially if teaching. I hope you just mean infringing on our "rights". i'm not sure what "rights" we have here......

Anyhow, BKK is relatively the same.....i would not worry any more than before. Have you thought of teaching in S. Korea? Way more money, but way more paperwork. And sometimes they don't pay...but there are risks in every country. 10 p.m. sounds like a language school and I'm sure you have read about all those issues.....and of course after 10 p.m. is way more sketch than around 10 a.m......if worried too much, maybe look into a much smaller city....anyhow.....not sure if you have been to BKK before...

here is my 2 cents...if this is a "must" move...sure, BKK is fine and just use common sense like anywhere else in the world. it's a great city.

I worry about the random drug testing because what I've read is that your actual result does not matter and that the only reason they are doing it is to get money from you. I just don't want to be in those situations at all, I do not intend to do anything like that.

I worry about the random drug testing because what I've read is that your actual result does not matter and that the only reason they are doing it is to get money from you. I just don't want to be in those situations at all, I do not intend to do anything like that.

in years, i've never heard of such things actually happening......not one time. and i talk a lot...

without the "scams", which are usually more urban legends than anything...BKK might cost a hermit $1500 USD a month. If you get paid $1000 USD a month...just remember to bring about $6,000 USD as enough to support basic things.....sorry if you know all of this already...

just not sure your experience with Thailand before.....it can get overwhelming very, very fast.....but that is part of traveling...

there are ATM scams that do exist, however.....and the $5 USD charge for each use, which isn't a scam but is a scam....i'm talking about the card skimmers.....but stuff like that would never deter anyone from traveling....use common sense i think....

Thanks Puukao,

My experience in Thailand is basically - a short visit to see family every year for the past 10 years, and last year I spent 3 months there teaching at a University.

The living costs don't worry me as I will be earning a good wage and have some money I can subsidise extra things with - thank you for your input however.

Flying out and committing to three months in Pattaya last year didn't phase me in the slightest because I have a support network there; people to ride home with, Thai friends etc. In Bangkok I have no one and I'm really not keen on travelling late at night on my own in a city I don't know whatsoever. Some may tell me to chill out and get on with it and that if I'm not willing to take the risk then it's not the place for me. However I am concerned for my safety and if anyone wishes to judge me for that then so be it.

• Like 2

Perhaps try the ladies in Thailand forum and get answers from other expat ladies.

I will assume you will be renting a condo somewhere? If you do, try find one near the sky train and use that to/from work.

The more people around you the safer it is.

I can understand that you are a bit worried as a young white girl staying alone in BKK.

Flagging down a Taxi from the street is tricky as you don't know the driver obviously and some are crazy, not long time ago an expat was killed by one in BKK.

Be street wise and you should be okay but to be honest with you: Good looking young blond women in SEA should be more careful than most, many Asian men really want sex with one and not all (very very small %) will ask first if they get the chance.

I currently teach in Bangkok and, unsurprisingly a number of my colleagues are female. I think they would tell you that, in general, Bangkok is one of the safest cities in the world for a single female to be and you will enjoy more freedom of movement here than in most cities. That said, women need to be on their guard anywhere in the world rather more than us chaps. The advice re taxis above is good, although whether you'd get one reliable enough to turn up regularly is debatable. Better to get one from a call centre so that they know who is picking you up. Moto taxis have been known to grope solo females.The drug scam is a problem for all at the moment, around Asoke junction especially.Probably best not to go out drinking/partying in that area until you have found your feet and made some friends as solos of both genders are more likely to be fleeced by plod. Other than that, welcome to Bangkok. Hope you have a good time here. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

• Like 1

Thanks Puukao,

My experience in Thailand is basically - a short visit to see family every year for the past 10 years, and last year I spent 3 months there teaching at a University.

The living costs don't worry me as I will be earning a good wage and have some money I can subsidise extra things with - thank you for your input however.

Flying out and committing to three months in Pattaya last year didn't phase me in the slightest because I have a support network there; people to ride home with, Thai friends etc. In Bangkok I have no one and I'm really not keen on travelling late at night on my own in a city I don't know whatsoever. Some may tell me to chill out and get on with it and that if I'm not willing to take the risk then it's not the place for me. However I am concerned for my safety and if anyone wishes to judge me for that then so be it.

The only thing to be careful about, is the hi-so wannabees farangs, they are so opinionated and not nice

Ladies of the night?

Just to clarify, I'll be teaching, and my teaching hours have been said to end around 10pm, on some occasions.

I was merely mentioning what must be the most dangerous activity that a lady can indulge in in Bangkok.

sent from phone using bih thumbs

To the OP: Thailand definitely has its dangers, there are scams, violent people, Ill meaning foreigners and a corrupt police force that can't be relied on for assistance.

But as long as you are aware of all these dangers and avoid the key risks then I think it's as safe as anywhere else. There are endless things to avoid and tips to stay safe, the following are some of mine, you will have others, as will other people.

Staying safe is about keeping your senses about you, being aware of your surrounding, being aware that most violent incidents occur late at night and in the early hours, and that if someone approaches you with some seemingly generous offer then it's always too good to be true. Don't be out too late, or if you are then not alone and with a way to get home. When you get into a taxi ask for the meter and if they don't oblige then exit immediately. Likewise, if you ever find yourself in a situation that doesn't feel right then leave immediately and as a general rule, just avoid the wrong kind of people, such as druggie types. Don't trust groups of thai men, ever, and especially if drinking, don't ever get involved in any form of confrontation, learn to say " mai ow kap" to the vendors that constantly pester people, learn that most of the stuff sold in Thailand is junk. Equally, remember foreign men who get close yo you are usually also only after one thing, but certainly seem less prone to psychopathic bouts of violence than thai men. If you are out having a drink, never allow a situation where it can be drugged, such as leaving an unfinished drink when you go to the toilet. And keep personal information such as your address to yourself.

And if you haven't already done so, take a course in self defence for women, this will not only teach you some simple tricks of physical self defense but also how to avoid dangerous situations and I'd suggest this also to women even in relatively safer places like Singapore and definitely London etc. Its unlikely you'll ever need it, but it's good to have and once you have learned, that makes you less of a victim...it actually makes it less likely you'll ever be in a bad situation in the first place. Predators and bullies prefer easy victims and knowledge of self defense gives people an air of confidence and they are less likely to be seen as victims.

All of this is automatic for me, I've never had more than a couple of close shaves very early on in my Thailand visits. I think as a woman you will be slightly more vulnerable, but as long as you aren't naive, gullible, confrontational or careless then you should be ok.

Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

Amazing - only a couple of clowns have responded. You seem to have charmed people, Lora. :)

Some very good advice - sensible points being a self-defence course, locking down a few trusted taxi and motosai drivers (despite what you hear, some of these guys are good folk), live near the skytrain, avoid groups of Thai men, stick to paths well-travelled, reject any and all propositions that might take you somewhere you don't know, get learning some basic Thai, use a smart phone to film and upload scenes of any situation you think might need it (taxi number plates, for instance).

My adult daughter and her friends and the many women teachers at international schools that I have met over the past couple of decades have not encountered many problems, mainly because they take the basic precautions.

• Like 2

whistling.gif Living as a young foreigner female in Bangkok is no more dangerous than living in other cities in the world.

In actuality, the security situation and the relative safety for foreigners has IMPROVED in Bangkok since the Junta took power.

Having said that, every city requires being careful and using your common sense, especially for a young woman.

Bangkok is no different in that way from other cities in the world such as New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, or even London.

Use your common sense, and avoid those situations that might be dodgy ..... do it another way..... avoid what looks a potential problem.

It's always better for anyone, male or female, of whatever age, to avoid potential problems than have to face them.

Use your common sense and avoid hose dodgy situations.

I currently teach in Bangkok and, unsurprisingly a number of my colleagues are female. I think they would tell you that, in general, Bangkok is one of the safest cities in the world for a single female to be and you will enjoy more freedom of movement here than in most cities. That said, women need to be on their guard anywhere in the world rather more than us chaps. The advice re taxis above is good, although whether you'd get one reliable enough to turn up regularly is debatable. Better to get one from a call centre so that they know who is picking you up. Moto taxis have been known to grope solo females.The drug scam is a problem for all at the moment, around Asoke junction especially.Probably best not to go out drinking/partying in that area until you have found your feet and made some friends as solos of both genders are more likely to be fleeced by plod. Other than that, welcome to Bangkok. Hope you have a good time here. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

"The drug scam is a problem for all at the moment, around Asoke junction especially.Probably best not to go out drinking/partying in that area until you have found your feet and made some friends as solos of both genders are more likely to be fleeced by plod."

Forget nonsense like this, there was an issue a few weeks ago but but due to media exposure it was stopped and there have been no reports of similar things happening since. If you don't take drugs you won't have a problem.

• Like 1

Violent crime against westerners outside of the hours 11:00 pm to 6:00 am is almost non-existent here. Pickpocketing and purse snatching exist, but that is the case in virtually every city of this size on earth. If you are drunk, with gold chains hanging off you, wandering some side soi at 3:00 am - the law of the jungle will manifest itself - and you will probably be relieved of your gold. Otherwise, if you look alert, and keep your wits about you - predators will go looking for easier prey - which usually means tourists.

A woman does have to be a bit more circumspect about moving around solo at night, via taxi - my suggestion would be to find a place to live within walking distance of a BTS or MRT stop, and go home early enough to catch the last train (roughly midnight).

The reports of police stops were - in my opinion - vastly overblown - and I say that as someone who walked along/through the most frequently sighted intersection almost every weekday evening for the past 12 years. Maybe one in 2,000 foreign passersby got stopped - during maybe a one-week "surge" every four or five months - for years. Then - starting maybe five months ago - the military government shut down a lot of the sidewalk business activity along Sukhumvit - and the Police - having fewer opportunities to exploit the street bars, vendors, etc., stepped up their activity stopping random foreigners for maybe six weeks. Of every 100 foreigners stopped, probably 95 were inconvenienced for five minutes or less, with no ill effects. If urine testing occurred, I doubt that even 20 people - total - were ever affected. If drugs were planted - that might have happened maybe once or twice in ten years - and somewhere else (like Ekkamai bus station). If they ever stopped a 26 year old western woman dressed in "business casual" along Sukhumvit - neither I nor anyone I know ever heard of it.

95% of all bad stuff that happens to foreigners here happens between midnight and sunrise. If you are habitually out during that period, you number will eventually come up. If you avoid being out frequently during that period, your chances of running into problems are minimal.

MS

• Like 1

Amazing - only a couple of clowns have responded. You seem to have charmed people, Lora. :)

Some very good advice - sensible points being a self-defence course, locking down a few trusted taxi and motosai drivers (despite what you hear, some of these guys are good folk), live near the skytrain, avoid groups of Thai men, stick to paths well-travelled, reject any and all propositions that might take you somewhere you don't know, get learning some basic Thai, use a smart phone to film and upload scenes of any situation you think might need it (taxi number plates, for instance).

My adult daughter and her friends and the many women teachers at international schools that I have met over the past couple of decades have not encountered many problems, mainly because they take the basic precautions.

Good advice.

Every time my wife gets in a Taxi she takes a picture of the drivers credentials and sends it to me, day or night. If in the rare chance a driver causes you a problem you can show him the picture.

Enjoy Bangkok, it's lots of fun.

• Like 1

Violent crime against westerners outside of the hours 11:00 pm to 6:00 am is almost non-existent here. Pickpocketing and purse snatching exist, but that is the case in virtually every city of this size on earth. If you are drunk, with gold chains hanging off you, wandering some side soi at 3:00 am - the law of the jungle will manifest itself - and you will probably be relieved of your gold. Otherwise, if you look alert, and keep your wits about you - predators will go looking for easier prey - which usually means tourists.

A woman does have to be a bit more circumspect about moving around solo at night, via taxi - my suggestion would be to find a place to live within walking distance of a BTS or MRT stop, and go home early enough to catch the last train (roughly midnight).

The reports of police stops were - in my opinion - vastly overblown - and I say that as someone who walked along/through the most frequently sighted intersection almost every weekday evening for the past 12 years. Maybe one in 2,000 foreign passersby got stopped - during maybe a one-week "surge" every four or five months - for years. Then - starting maybe five months ago - the military government shut down a lot of the sidewalk business activity along Sukhumvit - and the Police - having fewer opportunities to exploit the street bars, vendors, etc., stepped up their activity stopping random foreigners for maybe six weeks. Of every 100 foreigners stopped, probably 95 were inconvenienced for five minutes or less, with no ill effects. If urine testing occurred, I doubt that even 20 people - total - were ever affected. If drugs were planted - that might have happened maybe once or twice in ten years - and somewhere else (like Ekkamai bus station). If they ever stopped a 26 year old western woman dressed in "business casual" along Sukhumvit - neither I nor anyone I know ever heard of it.

95% of all bad stuff that happens to foreigners here happens between midnight and sunrise. If you are habitually out during that period, you number will eventually come up. If you avoid being out frequently during that period, your chances of running into problems are minimal.

MS

To the OP,

All of the reassuring statistics in this post were simply made up out of air by the poster since no one is tracking such events, certainly not the poster himself.

Probably you will not have any problem in Bangkok, but the relevant responses are those from other women here. My Thai women teachers are afraid to take a taxicab, but are not afraid of the BTS or MRT train systems. They do take motorcyle cabs, but complain about the behavior and unsafe driving habits of some of the moto drivers. If you can avoid the motorcyle and tuktuk drivers you would do well to. Whether you can or not depends on where you live. Bagsnatching does occur in some areas.

With respect to the effect of the military takeover, the fact is that under a dictatorship you don't actually have any rights. We don't hear stories of foreigners being detained so it probably doesn't happen much. There really is no way of estimating the chances of your having a problem with the authorities such as a violation of your human rights by an illegal search of your person. We all still live here so that tells you that we think the risks are manageable, but of course we don't really know.