British bicycle maker lands in Bangkok

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wonder what sort of duty will be incurred. Do not know of any bicycle manufacturers in Thailand, so perhaps not so much.

Riding a bike around old Bangkok is quited okay; China Town, around government house, Samsen road, Hwa Loompong, all they way to Chongnongsi. The least pleasant place is around Sukhimvit.

The bikes on there website are priced at 74000-85000 Baht

Only 3 models listed!

Some points:

1) I drive a Honda Wave motorbike in Bangkok. If you are stationery at traffic lights with a few other motorbikes for any length of time, you sure know the air from fumes are unhealthy.

2) The whole reason that Thais drive cars in Bangkok is because they want to show they are rich and stay un-sweaty . The Brompton would not achieve either of these objectives in Bangkok.

3) Most Thais do not want to walk for 100 meters let alone cycle anywhere. Enthusiastic cyclists in Bangkok would not be riding a Brompton but more likely opt for a Hybrid Mountain Bike / Road Bike.

If I was manufacturing a bike for Bangkok and typical Thai people, it would be a strong reliable simple Hybrid Mountain Bike / Road Bike with 5 gear block (12 to 24 ) with 35 mm strong city tyres. The basis is already available in even in Big C.

74000-85000 Baht clap2.gif Yeah sure, i take two.... Are they frigging having a laugh ??

For that price i can buy two Honda Wave....

also i agree that Most Thais do not want to walk for 100 meters let alone cycle anywhere. s

ounds like this is going to be a business success story cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Sukh soi 24 is not the central business district.

The Nation getting desperate for news, especially if this is front page stuff.

The report didn't say it was in the central business district and just because ThaiVisa reproduced it doesn't mean that The Nation is short of news items or that it was a front page report.

Some people actually find articles such as this a light relief from the more serious stuff and some even have an interest in cycling for some reason.

• Like 1

'Second hand bicycle manufacturer' what's one of them then?

I think they should have said re-manufacturers. There are a number of them around refurbishing decent Jap bicycles.

I highly recommend getting a 2nd hand jap bike compare to a new china or locally made one. I've got a handful for factory use and they have lasted more than 5 years so far without a single problem, compare to the LA bicycle which lasted 1 year and fell apart. So yea, it may cost the same as a china or locally made one and being 2nd hand, it well worth it.

• Like 1

Some points:

1) I drive a Honda Wave motorbike in Bangkok. If you are stationery at traffic lights with a few other motorbikes for any length of time, you sure know the air from fumes are unhealthy.

2) The whole reason that Thais drive cars in Bangkok is because they want to show they are rich and stay un-sweaty . The Brompton would not achieve either of these objectives in Bangkok.

3) Most Thais do not want to walk for 100 meters let alone cycle anywhere. Enthusiastic cyclists in Bangkok would not be riding a Brompton but more likely opt for a Hybrid Mountain Bike / Road Bike.

If I was manufacturing a bike for Bangkok and typical Thai people, it would be a strong reliable simple Hybrid Mountain Bike / Road Bike with 5 gear block (12 to 24 ) with 35 mm strong city tyres. The basis is already available in even in Big C.

I've seen plenty of lycra clad, skinny cyclists on totally innapropriate for Bangkok high end racing style bicycles. These cyclists aren't interested in sensible, they want the brand name and the style that goes with it. Many are well off and their number is growing rapidly. The bicycle shops that cater to them are milling with customers and doing huge business. One shop near me has had to open an additional premises a few doors away from the original shop only 1 year after startup to cope with the custom. The folding market is another kettle of fish and although the Brompton is beautifully made in Britain and sells in big numbers there, it will as you say be a difficult sell here.

I would not advise riding a bicycle on the roads of Thailand unless you have a death wish.

Utter nonsense. I cycle between 500 & 700km a week and I find the roads safer than the UK where drivers are allowed to do 100km an hour on the tiniest of country lanes. Off course, like everywhere you have to be smart and look at what is going on around you. I note that motorcycle drivers bear the brunt of the New year casualties but when you look at how they drive and the amount of alcohol that some may consume then it is not surprising. Yes, Thai drivers are not the best in the word, but they are predictable. Beetlejuice if you want to come and try cycling with us in Chiang Mai I'd be delighted to show you the joys and pleasures of life awheel. But please don't post such nonsense.

I can remember once trying to cycle around the moat down by where the Computer Plaza is today. I wanted to continue going straight on and the bulk of the traffic decided to make a right turn. My little legs were peddling like crazy but could not make enough steam to get ahead of the right turning traffic, so it was either go with the flow or end up splattered all over the road. That`s was the end of my cycling days in Thailand. Still having nightmares about that 20 years on.

There used to be a Thai manufacturer but he went out of business when the cheap Japanese models came in after WWII. There is an old man who maintains a bicycle museum but forget where it is located. Got some wonderful old bikes. For GOSHAWK, as an erstwhile falconer the goshawk was my favourite bird when hunting in Canada.

He's going to get the shock of his life when he sees that they sell bicycles for a 2,000 baht,

although from China but still can do they job, that is until they get stolen....

They will sell if the marketing is right. Just look at the high quality costly cars in Bangkok.

I think cycling here in thailand at the moment is just a fashion for the thais, I believe it will have a short life span as other fashions that they have latched onto, There is one road close to my home with a uturn at each end where every evening cyclist ride up and down on high end bicycles wearing lycra, they dont use these bicycles as a form of transport but a fashion statement to show their wealth.

Edited by tingtongfarang

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wonder what sort of duty will be incurred. Do not know of any bicycle manufacturers in Thailand, so perhaps not so much.

Riding a bike around old Bangkok is quited okay; China Town, around government house, Samsen road, Hwa Loompong, all they way to Chongnongsi. The least pleasant place is around Sukhimvit.

Only 3 models listed!

Some points:

74000-85000 Baht clap2.gif Yeah sure, i take two.... Are they frigging having a laugh ??

also i agree that Most Thais do not want to walk for 100 meters let alone cycle anywhere. s

85,000 Baht get can you two japanese or three chinese motocycle.

Then why buy a bicycle?

Actually Brompton is already sold in Thailand, there's even a shop in Chiang Mai, they are mostly popular amongst hiso people, there is even Bromton clubs who organize trips in BKK at night and weekends. They love to take pictures with their bikes folded in front of the restaurant they are eating and post them on Facebook. wink.png

Only 3 models listed!

Some points:

i'll give you odds it will pal.

I would not advise riding a bicycle on the roads of Thailand unless you have a death wish.

I have been riding a bike on the roads of thailand everyday for the last 20 years. your advice is ridiculous.

One in a million.

you have no idea what youre talkin about. there is a group of 80 thais in the next town that cycles at least 150 km a week and in our village alone, there is a group of 40 that rides twice a week.

• Like 2

Utter nonsense. I cycle between 500 & 700km a week and I find the roads safer than the UK where drivers are allowed to do 100km an hour on the tiniest of country lanes. Off course, like everywhere you have to be smart and look at what is going on around you. I note that motorcycle drivers bear the brunt of the New year casualties but when you look at how they drive and the amount of alcohol that some may consume then it is not surprising. Yes, Thai drivers are not the best in the word, but they are predictable. Beetlejuice if you want to come and try cycling with us in Chiang Mai I'd be delighted to show you the joys and pleasures of life awheel. But please don't post such nonsense.

there are large groups of thai cyclists in our area as well. ranging in age from 16 to 72 years old. I ride at least 100 km a week.

• Like 1

I took my 24" single speed 2,500 Baht bike to a hi so up scale bike shop, to have a flat fixed and they told me they don't work on "housewife bikes." They said I should get a good one, from them, mine would be always be a problem. I found a local Thai guy in a little shop house that willingly fixes it for a few baht. I've been riding it for more than 6 years. I only ride on the sidewalk and walk it across intersections. I have 2 chain and cable locks, the same as motorbikes use. I had one stolen when I had a weak cable. Most malls and office buildings let you park inside for free and there's always a guard. I bought saddle bags, in The Haque, and love my little housewife bike. 24" wheels are perfect for congested sidewalks and going thru street restaurants. Never hit anyone. A folding bike would be good for excursions on the MRT or Sky Train, if it was light enough to carry around.

• Like 2

Those folding bikes are great for stowing away behind the seat of your private plane or jet.

You guys all have private planes or jets, right?

Amazingly they are also great on trains and buses!

If you can afford a Brompton, you're not taking any buses. Trains, maybe. But Trinx and Chevrolet 7,500 baht folding bikes fit just as well as a 75,000 Brompton.

Add up all the expenses incurred in operating a bicycle shop in a high rent place like a BKK tourist area. If they can break even selling 250 bicycles (less than 5 per week), that says something about their markup.

It doesn't say that much about the markup, they need to sell 250 units per year in each of their stores worldwide, not just in Bangkok.

Only 3 models listed!

If that not more expensive than a fino or a wave moped?

Pretty confident when I say that most Thais are far to lazy to pedal a bike

Put the cost at more than a moped and cannot see Thais being very interested

Actually Brompton is already sold in Thailand, there's even a shop in Chiang Mai, they are mostly popular amongst hiso people, there is even Bromton clubs who organize trips in BKK at night and weekends. They love to take pictures with their bikes folded in front of the restaurant they are eating and post them on Facebook. wink.png

All a bit daft really unless one has some hiso roads to cycle along? With the small Brompton wheel size, navigating Thailand pot holes and drain covers wouldn't look like a hiso thing to do.

My Mondraker was assembled in Thailand.

There used to be a Thai manufacturer but he went out of business when the cheap Japanese models came in after WWII. There is an old man who maintains a bicycle museum but forget where it is located. Got some wonderful old bikes. For GOSHAWK, as an erstwhile falconer the goshawk was my favourite bird when hunting in Canada.

LA cycle are a bicycle manufacturer here in Thailand.

As for Brompton they are hand made in the UK and are exceptional quality. Even in the USA they are up to $2,500 ( 82,000b)

http://www.nycewheels.com/brompton-folding-bike.html