Muslim man hailed for life-saving courage during Paris siege

webfact

I am in no doubt that there are evil people in all faiths and good ones,but you must see a pattern here among member's of Islam,?It is no good closing your eyes and chanting. Oh it's only a very small minority that do not like other faiths,"there are none so blind as those who do not want to see"

• Like 1

Not at all, but the the perpetrators of such atrocities still represent a minority. Hate terrorists, for they are sullying the faith. Don't tar everyone with the same brush

They do not represent anyone at all, they represent their faith which instructs them to kill, to hate jews, gays and apostates and to view all but Muslims as the worst of people

Not at all, but the the perpetrators of such atrocities still represent a minority. Hate terrorists, for they are sullying the faith. Don't tar everyone with the same brush

They do not represent anyone at all, they represent their faith which instructs them to kill, to hate jews, gays and apostates and to view all but Muslims as the worst of people

You must be well versed in it. Thanks for the education Prof'.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Particularly when your 24hour news networks and online news can manipulate and blow it out of proportion.

It's a little more complicated. While I will concede that the Muslim faith is often repressive and misused, depending on the country you're in, I also can't live amongst my co-workers who are muslim and make any link between them practicing their faith and a terrorist.

Also, remind me again, is it Eastasia, or Eurasia that we're at war with just now?

The fact that Islam is a religion that often promotes intolerance and violence is not incompatible with the fact that many Muslims have the common decency, compassion and courage to overcome that. This man was heroic because of his own character, not because he was the follower of a religion. Unfortunately, some who are weaker and less intelligent are driven by Islam to committing stupid, senseless and vicious acts of violence. The world would be better off without any of the major monotheistic religions but, given its recent record, Islam might make a good first choice for abolition.

Also, any comparisons between the George Orwell novel and the real world are not terribly enlightening in my opinion.

Edited by charmonman

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Particularly when your 24hour news networks and online news can manipulate and blow it out of proportion.

It's a little more complicated. While I will concede that the Muslim faith is often repressive and misused, depending on the country you're in, I also can't live amongst my co-workers who are muslim and make any link between them practicing their faith and a terrorist.

Also, remind me again, is it Eastasia, or Eurasia that we're at war with just now?

The fact that Islam is a religion that often promotes intolerance and violence is not incompatible with the fact that many Muslims have the common decency, compassion and courage to overcome that. This man was heroic because of his own character, not because he was the follower of a religion. Unfortunately, some who are weaker and less intelligent are driven by Islam to committing stupid, senseless and vicious acts of violence. The world would be better off without any of the major monotheistic religions but, given its recent record, Islam might make a good first choice for abolition.

Also, any comparisons between the George Orwell novel and the real world are not terribly enlightening in my opinion.

I'm not trying to enlighten you, but to be perfectly honest, the state the world is in today, comparisons to Orwell seem more than reasonable to me.

I do like the way you worded your paragraph though. Ultimately the person should be judged on their own merits, not that of religion.

Well then, its just a plain miracle that I'm not murdered in my sleep every night by all the locals round here who are evidently just waiting to kill and persecute the infidels at the behest of their faith.

Its no miracle. It is simply that the locals are virtually all decent people who just want to live their lives in peace. I also know many extremely decent Muslim people who I would trust with my life. It is not them I have a problem with, it is their religion, which can often drive the weak minded among them to intolerance.

• Like 1

Well then, its just a plain miracle that I'm not murdered in my sleep every night by all the locals round here who are evidently just waiting to kill and persecute the infidels at the behest of their faith.

Its no miracle. It is simply that the locals are virtually all decent people who just want to live their lives in peace. I also know many extremely decent Muslim people who I would trust with my life. It is not them I have a problem with, it is their religion, which can often drive the weak minded among them to intolerance.

If as you say the religion can change them in a heartbeat, how could they be trusted with a non Muslim life?

Their life is their religion.

While I will concede that the Muslim faith is often repressive and misused Is that the understatement of the year, but I'm sure the population of Nigeria would agree with you.

• Like 1

If as you say the religion can change them in a heartbeat, how could they be trusted with a non Muslim life?

I am referring to individuals I trust, not weak minded idiots who can be changed in a heartbeat by illogical and violent propaganda.

It's the radicals and their grotesque interpretations of the Koran that are more to blame than the religion itself surely. Which once again comes back to people.

The problem is that the radicals can find plenty in the Koran to justify their grotesque view of the world and convince gullible idiots that their view is the correct one. Most Muslims try to ignore this stuff like Christians and Jews tend to completely ignore Leviticus. There are a few reformers in the Muslim world who try to counter this, but they usually end up receiving death threats, which might explain why there are all too few of them.

Yeah, actually I just skimmed through some choice passages and you're right, there is certainly no shortage of bloody rhetoric.

I appreciate that you are making an argument based on fact and observance and not the often seen "All Muslims are terrorists" emotional response that pours so easily from the mouths of those who spend their days watching Fox News or some other equally Murdochulous news source.

• Like 1

I am referring to individuals I trust, not weak minded idiots who can be changed in a heartbeat by illogical and violent propaganda.

That covers about 1.5 billion, so not easy to find the rest.