Is this an odd request from my neighbours?

KarlosInBKK

I live in a two bedroom townhouse in a small alley in Bangkok so I'm at close quaters with my neighbours. I've lived here for less than a month and my neighbours have been very nice and friendly. I adopted a dog three weeks ago and he's quite shy with my neighbours and definitely does not like other dogs too much.

One of my neighbours has just bought two puppies. He keeps them in a cage just outside of my house instead of in his house or outside of his house. To be honest, I don't mind that too much. However, they told me today that they are taking them to Ubon on the 21st as a gift for their family. They asked if they can keep them in my garden until then. Does anyone else find this an odd request? There are a few people living in each house either side of me and they are all related. The reason they gave me is that the person who bought them has to work a lot until then. There's definitely enough of them in the family to look after the puppies.

I've already said no (as nicely as I could) as my dog doesn't like other dogs, plus my landlord has allowed me to have one dog, not three. I really don't think they understood why I said no, but to be honest, I don't understand why they even need to be kept in my garden in the first place.

What are your thoughts on this?

"plus my landlord has allowed me to have one dog, not three"--KarlosinBKK

You have a shield Karlos---use it...yes I would really love to --but can not, ..

.....make sure they understand its not your fault, its all down to your bad landlord----good neighbors are hard to find

• Like 1

"plus my landlord has allowed me to have one dog, not three"--KarlosinBKK

You have a shield Karlos---use it...yes I would really love to --but can not, ..

.....make sure they understand its not your fault, its all down to your bad landlord----good neighbors are hard to find

All well and good, until they "Ok it"with the landlord on your behalf. They're good like that ya know....

• Like 1

I live in a two bedroom townhouse in a small alley in Bangkok so I'm at close quaters with my neighbours. I've lived here for less than a month and my neighbours have been very nice and friendly. I adopted a dog three weeks ago and he's quite shy with my neighbours and definitely does not like other dogs too much.

One of my neighbours has just bought two puppies. He keeps them in a cage just outside of my house instead of in his house or outside of his house. To be honest, I don't mind that too much. However, they told me today that they are taking them to Ubon on the 21st as a gift for their family. They asked if they can keep them in my garden until then. Does anyone else find this an odd request? There are a few people living in each house either side of me and they are all related. The reason they gave me is that the person who bought them has to work a lot until then. There's definitely enough of them in the family to look after the puppies.

I've already said no (as nicely as I could) as my dog doesn't like other dogs, plus my landlord has allowed me to have one dog, not three. I really don't think they understood why I said no, but to be honest, I don't understand why they even need to be kept in my garden in the first place.

What are your thoughts on this?

It's actually not odd in their society/culture to ask favors from their neighbors.If they think you fit the "good neighbor" bill they tend to trust you w stuff.We had a neighbor who has 3 cars and since we didn't have any at that time,he asked if it's okay to park it in our garage but offered to pay.

But of course you have all the rights to politely say no.If they can't understand you can call your landlord to do the talking.

• Like 1

Your a "farang"!

Their going to use you till the moon turn's blue,

and then some more.

Take the 2 puppies to the front of their house/apt/room/ whatever,

or to the front of their relatives and TELL THEM NO MORE!

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies so far guys.

My landlord lived in this house for years before he moved and started renting it. They know him really well so I can't use this as the only reason in case they do contact him to ask if it's okay.

I'll just stand firm and keep a smile on my face as I'm doing it. Hopefully, they won't fall out with me over it. For me, it's just too much of a big ask when they already have people in the family who can take care of the puppies.

Quote: There are a few people living in each house either side of me and they are all related...

If they own these houses maybe that is the reason, they want that house but it was rented out, not For Sale.. or even wanted to rent it but at Thai price

Do they also have gardens?

Did you ask them 'why me'?

Maybe they want the family to believe they are your dogs, because they're intended as a surprise gift for one of them.

You really need to find out their motives.

'Is this an odd request from my neighbours' or 'Is this a request from my odd neighbours'

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ask your landlord and say Yes if he agrees.
Don't worry about gardens, someone has to feed the dogs.

And that someone is you :-)