Govt to promote Thai orchid exports

webfact

Govt to promote Thai orchid exports

PNEVN580113001001301_13012015_114541.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 January 2015 (NNT) -- Thailand is the world's number one exporter of the tropical orchid but the government is looking to increase the potential of this sector to be well positioned to deal with rising competition.

According to the Government spokesperson, Yongyuth Maiyalarp, the cabinet has approved a five point plan to promote the product quality of cut flowers for export. The first step is to set up permanent markets across the nation to deal in high quality orchids.

Second is to hold a special orchid event and a competition among growers of all flowers to help raise the standard of the Thai industry. Third is to hold an orchid and cut flower show in front of Government House, from January to March. The Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha will chair the opening of the event on Monday 19th January.

Fourth is to set Thailand up as a regional hub of the orchid trade. The government is planning to construct a market with modern facilities that will support that goal.

Fifth is to develop the professional ability of local orchid producers and exporters to compete on the world market.

Statistics from the Ministry of Commerce show that in 2013 Thailand exported 86.42 million dollars U.S., in cut orchids.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-14 footer_n.gif

...all inward looking initiatives....again.

Where are the International Trade shows? The marketing and promotions outside Thailand? Awareness campaigns? The partnerships in Europe, USA and UAE? Shipping solutions with airlines? Agreements with other countries that you can take "treated" orchids in? etc etc...

Unless the world knows about Thai orchids, where and how to buy them, shipping solutions, then it doesn't matter what you do locally, the world doesn't know.

Thailand undoubtedly has beautiful orchids...and if they are only trying to figure this out now, it's pretty pathetic.

It's not that hard. Sort it out.

• Like 2

Where are the International Trade shows? The marketing and promotions outside Thailand? Awareness campaigns? The partnerships in Europe, USA and UAE? Shipping solutions with airlines? Agreements with other countries that you can take "treated" orchids in? etc etc...

Unless the world knows about Thai orchids, where and how to buy them, shipping solutions, then it doesn't matter what you do locally, the world doesn't know.

Thailand undoubtedly has beautiful orchids...and if they are only trying to figure this out now, it's pretty pathetic.

Further, why not invite importers from around the world -- wine them and dine them and get them to sign contracts? Offer them incentives, quality control, shipping options, deadline guarantees and some exclusive benefits per vendor. I totally agree with you. Marketing cannot be a top-down eyes wide shut venture. It has to be inclusive, inviting and goal-oriented.

Raising awareness is like smiling at a typhoon.

• Like 2

The world already knows a lot about Thai orchids, I think you missed something...

"Statistics from the Ministry of Commerce show that in 2013 Thailand exported 86.42 million dollars U.S., in cut orchids."

The world already knows a lot about Thai orchids, I think you missed something...

"Statistics from the Ministry of Commerce show that in 2013 Thailand exported 86.42 million dollars U.S., in cut orchids."

I didn't say the world did not know about Thai orchids...but to what extent is questionable.

But the Press Release is all Thai focussed. Useless.

Who says the number can't be $500million dollars?

Bottom line, is that like most Government Departments, they are inward looking.

Until they understand how to market Thailand and it's products effectively, they will be forever be underachievers.

Thai orchids are well known already

Infrastructure has been in place for many years.

For example there is a cooperative orchid center where farmers bring their flowers to be hardened for export.

The process involves putting the orchids in rooms with different temperatures and humidity levels.

In the end cut dendrobiums can easily last a month.

Exporters have negotiated discounted rates on airlines.

Thai universities do a good job of training people to do cloning etc.

Overall the Thai orchid market is a good one.

You know, you're right. The good thing about inward facing initiatives, however, is that they're low cost initially and going forward. Thailand can focus on the product and let the problem of export be left to the enterprising purchaser. Yes, it is a it of street vendor style thinking. But spending money on international outward facing initiatives with little to no expectation of success is not a wise economic choice for a developing nation.

thailand have some great plants they export but the biggest problem is the virus in them. Australia has come down very hard on thai plants due to all the virus in the ones being exported there, countries that do not have quarantine laws are fine as they dont even check them let alone fumigate them. Adeniums from Thailand are not even allowed into Australia and are simply destroyed, many frangipani/plumeria are the same, unfortunately thai growers dont seem to worry about it, they smoke then handle plants which in turn spreads TMV(tobacco mosaic virus)m there is no sanitation used near/on plants etc which all adds to the problem.

The world already buys boatloads of Thai orchids.

A few families control the whole market.

What makes you say that a few families control the market? Is this something new?

20 years ago there were many small orchid nurseries and orchid cooperatives.

Not for exports.

I know one family who have 3 major UK retailers in their list of clients.

The world already buys boatloads of Thai orchids.

A few families control the whole market.

What makes you say that a few families control the market? Is this something new?

20 years ago there were many small orchid nurseries and orchid cooperatives.

Not for exports.

I know one family who have 3 major UK retailers in their list of clients.

I can tell you from past experience as an Orchid importer in California that there were many small orchid nurseries in Thailand to buy from and I think there probably are even more now - but I am no longer involved with orchids so I can't say for sure.

One difference between a small and large grower is that sometimes the small grower does not have a good system for finishing cut orchids but working with a Co-Op solves that challenge.

I just did a quick Google search and found one of the nurseries that we used to buy from: http://www.orchidkb.com/orchid.htm

At the time they had several small nurseries but now they seem to have about 25 acres for dendrobiums alone so they are bigger than in the past.

Anyway I have to thank you for prompting me to look as they are beautiful flowers. Living in Thailand I no longer need a green house and a heater - I just tie the plants to trees.