Would a 2nd passport make life easier?

If I had two passports ( both USA ) would this make life easier when getting additional Tourist visas?

For example, if I get a triple entry from USA and then when it is used up go to a country near Thailand, such as Bali, that issues triple entries. When entering at the airport and then applying for the triple entry in the neighboring country I'd use my 2nd blank passport book. Is this a waste of resources and unnecessary? The reason I ask is people have said having multiple double and triple entry tourist visas in your passport book triggers a red flag.

Note: As I know some will ask, yes in the USA it is legal for citizens to have a 2nd passport. The 2nd passport only lasts two years and is given only for specific reasons. Read about it on google if you want more info.

You posted a similar question about getting a new passport.

Having a new or an additional passport would help for getting back to back visa at embassies and consulate but it would not eliminate your history of entries at immigration because they do a name and date of birth check.

I have two UK passports, both of which which have been used in the past to enter Thailand, the immigration computer is fully aware of both.

It would probably reduce issues with a consulate's local rule on how many visas they will issue in a particular passport (they don't have access to the immigration computers), but if you're trying to circumvent the rules on 30 day exemptions, no cigar.

I have two UK passports. The reason being that when I worked in Algeria in the late 90's, I needed to send (by DHL) a passport to London for an Algerian visa.

To get the second passport I needed a letter from my employer stating that I needed two passports for work related reasons. Obviously that was with a UK passport, I'm not sure how the Americans deal with these things.

I just swapped over to my newer unused passport because:

a) The old one (48 pager) was crammed full of mainly Thai stuff, (when I work I do five work trips a year to Saudi, Australia, where ever...).

B) The old passport is also electronically linked to both Iraq/Kurdistan and an Australian 457 work visa, and i needed the dwindling space for their stamps.

I once had to show the other passport, containing the Saudi visa to Gulf Air check-in at Don Mueang, they didn't seem to care that I had two, but a friend of mine had one of his "confiscated" by the Emiraties, It's a good idea in Gulf countries not to let them know that you have two.

The only hoop you might have to jump through, I guess, might be actually acquiring the second passport.

How about if one had 2 passports issued by 2 countries, eg, UK and Australia? Same name and date of birth on both but different nationalities...how would the immigration computers see these?

The same as passports from the same country.

Their records also include a photo making it impossible for you claim it wasn't you.

For me this is a puzzler........ Why would I want two simultaneously valid USA passports with identical personal information, the first page?

Knowledgeable people tell me that now when any of your passports are swiped at the entry immigration station, ALL of relevant info about you appears on the computer screen. Then, if true, you could not use a second "clean" passport to hide stuff that would be negative in your first "contaminated" passport. I can not imagine USA, specifically, would allow the chance of such deceptions, which appear obvious right away.

I think that a person who gets a "black" USA passport, the cover color, has to yield up his blue cover one. I do not know if genuine diplomatic USA officials require the holder to give up his blue one... does any here know?

USA also issues a "passport card" primarily as a convenience to people frequently crossing adjacent borders, like into Mexico daily, but it is valid for that use.

ATTENTION, all new USA passports now issued, since 2007?, contain computer readable details about the holder, well beyond the name and birth date. This should alert people trying to fudge passport matters.whistling.gif

I read this confusing site... http://www.stylehiclub.com/cruising-flying/how-to-travel-with-two-passports/

and also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_passport

If I had two passports ( both USA ) would this make life easier when getting additional Tourist visas?

Whether the Dept of State issued you a second passport or denied your application, you'd probably end up on some "keep an eye on this nutter" watchlist that will wave red flags whenever you deal with the US government, if not further afield.

On what basis would you apply for a second US Passport? Because you hope to bamboozle Thai immigrations??

And why would you think the information about who you are would be any different between the passports? As said, when applying for a visa they may not bother checking, but when you reach immigrations they'll not be overwhelmed by your ingenuity.

Second U.S. Passport

The issuance of a second valid passport should be considered an exception to the regulations, and is to be approved on an individual basis only where justified. These second passports are issued for a validity of two years, provided a justification for issuance exists.

The Department of State will consider issuance of a second fee passport when:

- An individual travels so frequently that their passport is needed both for travel and submission for foreign visa applications simultaneously and/or;

- Primary passport is held by UKBA or other foreign embassy;

- A foreign country will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings or visas showing travel to certain other countries.

Edited by Suradit69

How about if one had 2 passports issued by 2 countries, eg, UK and Australia? Same name and date of birth on both but different nationalities...how would the immigration computers see these?

The same as passports from the same country.

Their records also include a photo making it impossible for you claim it wasn't you.

I used to travel on a new Zealand passport with several visits to Thailand. I then got an Australian passport and travelled to Thailand. immigration picked it up straight away . no problem , but they did link my 2 passports and advised me to only travel on one passport in and out of Thailand. cheers

In the Australian context, the conditions for obtaining a second passport are/were quite stringent. And, if you know what you're looking for (and the Immigration Officers would), each passport/travel document references any other current passport/document.

So, no chance of fooling anyone even if you could obtain a second travel document

I have two USA passports and have had for over 10 years. The Thai computer system does not tie them together when you enter the country. Without going into it, I can't use my original passport into Thailand anymore due to a mess up (nothing illegal) but I continue to get a second Passort every year and a half and this is my entry into Thailand. Since I have an over 50 visa, it's not a problem. But rest assured, since both passports have different numbers, they are not linked just because of your name. They are totally separate and have different numbers. With that said, don't ever cloud the issue and show both. Most places freak out including the USA.

I have two USA passports and have had for over 10 years. The Thai computer system does not tie them together when you enter the country. Without going into it, I can't use my original passport into Thailand anymore due to a mess up (nothing illegal) but I continue to get a second Passort every year and a half and this is my entry into Thailand. Since I have an over 50 visa, it's not a problem. But rest assured, since both passports have different numbers, they are not linked just because of your name. They are totally separate and have different numbers. With that said, don't ever cloud the issue and show both. Most places freak out including the USA.

Two passports, Very Bright Red Flag.

I have two UK passports and have had for a number of years. Used both to enter Thailand and never had a twitch from the Immigration guys at the airport when they have checked my history. This matches with use in other countries, notably Egypt, India and Malaysia. So, to the posters indicating that using two passports is an invitation to trouble, that certainly does not match with my experience.

In fact, the only slight inconvenience I had was some time back and was connected with arriving in Thailand by way of a land border crossing from Malaysia. At the time I was unaware that passports were checked for stamps from the exiting country. I related this in an earlier thread, this being:

Some 20 years back. I was crossing from Rantau Panjang to Sungai Golok in the South and had 2no UK passports. One passport was nearly full (this was the old 96 pager) whilst my 2nd passport was fairly empty. So I thought, why not switch passports.

Filled in the immigration card and handed that over to the officer.

Thought I was in for some hassle after the officer had spent a minute or two looking through my passport. He then asked me where I had come from. Given that I could only have come over the bridge from Malaysia, there was little else I could say!!!

I then blurted out that I had this other passport in my bag, fully expecting to be taken away for 'interview' and quizzed on my true intentions!

Luckily the officer didn't create a fuss and I was allowed to fill in a fresh form based on my 1st passport, from which the officer was able to confirm that I had, indeed, arrived from Malaysia and not by other, unheard of, means.

Needless to say, I have not tried that again at any land border

Entry at Suvarnabhumi, my missus this time was with me on a return holiday trip to LOS from Aust.

ugly old biddie at the counter took adverse at her presenting an Aust Passport, demanding - "why if born in Thailand that she did not use her Thai Passport?"

wifey has been dual nationality for 21 years and this was the first time ever she had a problem.

Leaving the counter, missus was fuming - at me!!

why?

all I could do was to try console her that the ugly old witch was just jealous and making a scene

but it was me the one now on the out with wifey!!

wifey - "why you not help me?" was all I'd get thrown at me. "why you not stand in front support me?"

me - "why you silly and answer the witch in Thai?" I answered, then "just bluff that you can't speak the Thai anymore as you have been out of country too long - and you filled the Entry Form as a Tourist..."

Up until that time we thought it great her having the 2 passports, as it allowed her another time to go back for as long as she liked without Visa in Oz Passport...

Edited by tifino

Two passports, Very Bright Red Flag.

Rubbish, used 2 UK passports for many years to end and depart countries who didn't like each other

Two passports should always be from two different countries.. Jeez.

Not at all though you need a good reason to have more than one passport. For example, say you had visited an Arab country for some reason, you would probably find it very difficult to enter Israel on the same passport or vice versa.

We might not be able to get a 2nd passport from our home country but that doesn't mean that other people cannot.

Alan

Americans are only allowed to have 1 passport unless there is a conflict with countries such as needing to travel to Saudi but you have a stamp from Israel. Then the 2nd passport will be issued with the restriction that it is for travel to Saudi only.