Suphanburi urges farmers to quit using slash and burn technique

webfact

Suphanburi urges farmers to quit using slash and burn technique

SUPHANBURI, 22 Jan 2015, (NNT) - As a tribute to Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn’s on her 60th birthday anniversary, the Office of Land Development in Suphanburi Province has organized a campaign encouraging rice farmers to quit using the slash and burn technique and turn to stubble plowing instead.

The Princess, who has been closely following the footsteps of His Majesty the King in terms of agricultural development, has endorsed the stubble plowing method, which can be implemented together with modern technology. The method also coincides with His Majesty the King’s sufficiency economy philosophy. It tremendously helps farmers saving costs and contributes to the global warming combat efforts.

According to the campaign organizers, burning the remaining of rice paddy is comparable to burning good quality organic fertilizers. Farmers are instead advised to water their harvested rice paddy with infused water for one to two weeks before plowing.

The organizers explained that doing so would return the richness to the soil, getting it ready for the next planting season.

Slash and burn technique is partly responsible for global warming, bush fires, and air pollution; to name a few.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-22 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Everday now our property is full of black ash flakes from burning of sugar cane before harvest.

No word about this.

We went from bad (rice field burning) to worse with the overwhelming move to sugar growing.

• Like 1

Everday now our property is full of black ash flakes from burning of sugar cane before harvest.

No word about this.

We went from bad (rice field burning) to worse with the overwhelming move to sugar growing.

. Please state ur Areas...

slash and burn as the term orginated, does not apply to burning of rice stubble nor any other leftover residue from cultivated crops/land. slash and burn is a method many times used to clear forest for cropping normally to be utilized for first time farming of a specific area. the burning or harvested crop residue is to eliminate volunteer gain which has sprouted, weeds and the standing straw/stalks.

the land development brain trusts may want to aquaint themselves with what is referred to as '' low tillage cultivation'' which utilizes the rainfall mother nature provides during the dry season as the soil is prepared for a rice crop during the wet season, not flooding a field for 2 weeks so as to be able to mud in the standing straw/weed crop.

Burning is easy does not require much effort do you really think farmers would change their ways. I highly doubt it they want it easy always.

---------------

I agree with you, but it's not that simple.

Farmers are resistant to change because, unlike agricultural "experts" that come form outside with new ideas, they risk everything, including their family's lives, with a "new" innovation.

My friend was involved in the Philippines with a program to introduce the new "miracle rice" some years ago.

Many of the famers listened to what he said describing the benefits of the new Rice strain.

Then one of them asked my friend, "Yes, that sounds nice. But if for some reason it fails, you can still have a job and food to eat. But if I plant your new Rice, and for some reason it fails, who will feed my family for the next year?"

They are not just "playing games", it is their lives and their families lives they are playing with.

For a rice strain i can understand that, however this is a different story they only have to work a bit more. But yes farmers are always resistant to change and quite militant too. The moment there is a problem they are coming out in force.

No word about this.

Western part of Khon Kaen.

Thais love to burn things. Not just for clearing fields.

I live in Hua Hin. The other night they were burning a huge pile of garbage, mostly plastics, in front of one of the nicest ocean front condo buildings. We are talking about 10 million baht and up condos.

This was like a bonfire with a giant cloud of black toxic smoke traveling up to cover the whole side of the condo building.

Everyone was dancing and laughing. Great fun.

They never looked up.

They burn all the hillside forest around here. The large trees survive, but all small trees, shrubs, and grass just goes up in smoke. All wildlife is fried or has to flee for it's life. It is systematic all over the North East. Someone suggested it was to force wildlife to run into pre-placed nets. The animals are then sold or eaten. Has anyone any answers on the reason for this destruction?

Burning is easy does not require much effort do you really think farmers would change their ways. I highly doubt it they want it easy always.

---------------

Farmers are resistant to change because, unlike agricultural "experts" that come form outside with new ideas, they risk everything, including their family's lives, with a "new" innovation.

My friend was involved in the Philippines with a program to introduce the new "miracle rice" some years ago.

Many of the famers listened to what he said describing the benefits of the new Rice strain.

Then one of them asked my friend, "Yes, that sounds nice. But if for some reason it fails, you can still have a job and food to eat. But if I plant your new Rice, and for some reason it fails, who will feed my family for the next year?"

They are not just "playing games", it is their lives and their families lives they are playing with.

and that 'miracle (American) rice' was planted extensively, it decimate crops and contaminate farmlands and took years to recover ....

Thais love to burn things. Not just for clearing fields.

I live in Hua Hin. The other night they were burning a huge pile of garbage, mostly plastics, in front of one of the nicest ocean front condo buildings. We are talking about 10 million baht and up condos.

This was like a bonfire with a giant cloud of black toxic smoke traveling up to cover the whole side of the condo building.

Everyone was dancing and laughing. Great fun.

They never looked up.

Yep and they seem to like burning their rubbish in the evening when there is little breeze to blow smoke away and the air is cool and dense so the smoke just lingers around. It's My biggest irritation of living here.

• Like 1

Seeing Thais Light a field on fire, gets my Blood Boiling... Just sayin

What si even worse is burning all kind of trash including plastics which leads to highly cancerogenic polution. This must be stopped soon as everone is in danger.

---------------

That is pretty silly from them. What stops a farmer to do one field with the new rice and the rest with the usual one and see how it works. After a few years testing do half the fields, etc..

It is not a all or nothing.

they did the burning everywhere in Austria. Than it got forbidden + the farmer saw the benefit from not doing it. It finished in just a few years.

They are not smart enough to see the benefits and burning is free.

or apparently as loyal and obedient to HM as they make out...

"The method also coincides with His Majesty the Kings sufficiency economy philosophy. It tremendously helps farmers saving costs and contributes to the global warming combat efforts."

Agree with previous posters this is not slash and burn (bad title) this is crop residue burning. Also agree that it is not just extra work it also costs to have it done and not so easy if your poor and farming on rented land.

A lot of variables apply on whether or not to burn, not an easy yes or no answer such as: Did you grow rice 1.2m high or 60cm?, Did you use a harvester or by hand (big difference in stubble)?, Do you have a canal or access to water to wet the paddy?

Beyond a doubt plowing stubble in is better than burning, but this is not new technology this is 1970's farming. Why plow in, with fuel and equipment costs? The way to go is "no till" saves the earthworms, creates a mate of mulch holding down weeds and preserving moisture. Would like to even see a "no till" seed drill in the country, if a farmer here wanted one he would have to go offshore to purchase one..

No word about this.

Around Phatthana Nikom

Pond is covered in soot

When I first visited our village years ago I asked how they recycle things and the answer was por does it! I have since learned of a junk man who comes around every other week for metal, glass and plastic bottles, etc.

And horror of horrors I found out what por does! Styrofoam, plastic chemical bottles and sundry wood and plant matter burn baby burn.

No word about this.

Around Phatthana Nikom

Pond is covered in soot

The problem here lies not with the farmers but the refineries. They will not accept ' unburnt ' sugarcane. Whether sugarcane farmers would use an alternative method if one were available would remain to be seen. Fortunately our family no longer grows sugarcane as the price has steadily declined over the last 4 to 5 years. I dreaded the night burning when a whole field would be set alight with scant regard to any health, safety and communication issues.

There is the alternative to use a harvester. The farmer next to me uses this system. He just pays the people to harvest it for him and collects his money from the sugar factory. But a lot less people employed.