TIME article prompts Prawit to order probe into Thai police action

webfact

Article prompts Prawit to order probe into police action
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- In response to an article in Time magazine about Thai police's extensive extortion tactics and mistreatment of foreign tourists, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said yesterday that he had ordered Royal Thai Police chief Somyot Poompanmoung yesterday to scrutinise and deal with the issue.

He said such allegations damaged the country's reputation, and that the image of police should improve with the ongoing reform.

The article in Time's January 20 edition quoted people who had either directly experienced or had knowledge about Thai police extorting money from tourists. The article quoted UK Ambassador Mark Kent's tweet about him meeting officials from the Tourist Ministry to address complaints lodged by British tourists about random police searches and demands for bribes.

The article also cited former Rak Prathet Thai Party leader Chuwit Kamolvisit complaining about tourists being stopped on Sukhumvit Road to search for drugs and forced to take urine tests or facing demands for money.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Article-prompts-Prawit-to-order-probe-into-police--30252482.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-23

related topic:
Tourists are reporting a dramatic surge in harassment by Thai police

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793555-tourists-are-reporting-a-dramatic-surge-in-harassment-by-thai-police/

• Like 1

They can not stop it! This increase in harassment is directly related to the crackdowns the junta is making on illegal activities in businesses. The fact that it has been going on forever is substantial in that it will take a very very long time to eradicate it.

Traffic collection points. Extortion money paid.

Corruption at every level in the RTP.

How I could they possibly stop it all without training and hiring a completely new police force that has not been used to doing their jobs without the kickbacks and bribe money. It is inbred in every police man that this is the way to do their jobs.

If they put a stop to one public instance of the corruption 50 more show their faces.

What!? What!? The police are extorting and harassing some tourists?

Well, first I heard of it (giggle, giggle)...let me check into it (giggle, giggle)....let me order my deputy who will order his deputy to the Nth power deputy to check into it...I'll get back to you soon (but it will be in Thai time) responded the government.

• Like 1

Senior posts have to be bought. Tactics mentioned in Time are just normal ways to get returns on investment. Locals are more aware of their rights. Prime meat would now be foreigners and tourists.

What is there to scrutinise? If you want to kill it, target the root cause.

They act like this is something new and they just heard about it.

Possible it is new for them. As they would care for this Farang - pest.

Read the frequently statements about "Quality" Tourists. That says it all....The best tourist would be one who just deposit the money at the immigration counter and flies home again.

• Like 1

Congrats to the PM for changing his behaviour - i.e. not criticizing TIME's article and threatening to ban the sale of TIME & access to its website, but instead acting on the information provided.

However, I am miffed that he only acted as a result of this foreign article today, while we at TVF have highlighted this practice for weeks but were ignored - especially as I reckon that this webboard is being monitored by the Govt's agents ......

Oh sorry about that. I will get onto my people and see if they will do one on TVF for you.coffee1.gif

YouTube is loaded with video evidence of Royal Thai Police corruption. It is common knowledge to everyone in Thailand that their real business is extortion. It is only because it is a US based magazine, with connections to the White House and the American foreign policy elite, that he is feigning interest. If it was the Daily Mail......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NHRrpc5H-Q

• Like 1

Don't "solve" it because it's corruption.

Solve it because it damages reputation.

Loving the honesty.wub.png

Which is exactly why they have let it slide for years, until now it has gone international.

Truly disgusting.

Do you think anything will really change? The Thong Lo police boss was already transferred. Maybe one or two more. Some information will be released saying things have been clarified, some transfers, and all be wonderful after the already announced police reforms are implemented.

Business as usual.

Congrats to the PM for changing his behaviour - i.e. not criticizing TIME's article and threatening to ban the sale of TIME & access to its website, but instead acting on the information provided.

However, I am miffed that he only acted as a result of this foreign article today, while we at TVF have highlighted this practice for weeks but were ignored - especially as I reckon that this webboard is being monitored by the Govt's agents ......

What exact action are you referring to? Talking?

Like it or not, there's a world of difference between the credibility of ThaiVisa members views and those of Time.

Don't "solve" it because it's corruption.

Solve it because it damages reputation.

Loving the honesty.wub.png

Which is exactly why they have let it slide for years, until now it has gone international.

Truly disgusting.

Do you think anything will really change? The Thong Lo police boss was already transferred. Maybe one or two more. Some information will be released saying things have been clarified, some transfers, and all be wonderful after the already announced police reforms are implemented.

Business as usual.

Business as use you all...foreigners.

Like it or not, there's a world of difference between the credibility of ThaiVisa members views and those of Time.

Don't be so hard on Time, they don't live in LOS.

• Like 1

The problem is never one layer deep whether you begin at the top or the bottom of a thoroughly corrupt organization. Might just as well assume that if you put a top mafia crime boss in jail, after a few "Now Do Right" lectures the remainder of the organization would immediately become good, law-abiding citizens because, hey, they were all just basically nice, honest people temporarily led astray by Mr. Baddie.

Hmm, all those previous posts on this issue denying this increase in extortion was going on.......

Hmm, have you seen one report you can link to of such goings on since the reference dates of the Time article, i.e. early December last year?