New rule Chaing Mai Immigration

I wonder what the immigration officers hope to gain from this new chicanery.

If it was in my home country, I'd say the goal is to show an increase in the number of visitors serviced each day...if your customer base has to visit twice instead of once, your organization appears to be experiencing an increase in customer traffic which can then be used as justification to increase the number of staff.

However, we're in Thailand so....who knows?

• Like 1

If it was in my home country, I'd say the goal is to show an increase in the number of visitors serviced each day...if your customer base has to visit twice instead of once, your organization appears to be experiencing an increase in customer traffic which can then be used as justification to increase the number of staff.

That can't be the reason, because you have to get a second queue number to get a re-entry permit, so it counts as two customers served. In theory, if you have an appointment to get an extension for, say, 8:30, you'll be done-and-dusted by 11:30 am and should be able to return at 1 pm and ask for a queue ticket to get your re-entry permit.

I'll have a chance to test this on Feb 6. I have a 9 am appointment for my retirement extension. I'd been trying to decide if I wanted to apply for a re-entry permit on the same day or just wait until I knew I'd need one.

Edited by NancyL

Not a new rule. I have just done a renewal of retirement and got a re-entry permit. Both on the same day (one in the morning and one at 1pm)

All the above posts negated by the one before mine. Again on tv who to believe ?

The wonderful thing about forums - you get what you paid for.

I carefully did not say the OP was wrong, I suspect there were no slots for a re-entry permit after they had done their extension. And it is not possible to do a re-entry until after your extension since you do not yet have the stamp in your passport.

I also suspect that the OP was given the information by their agent and not directly by the immigration staff.

Of course I could be wrong in all these suspicions - it wouldn't be the first time!

Edited by briley

That can't be the reason, because you have to get a second queue number to get a re-entry permit, so it counts as two customers served. In theory, if you have an appointment to get an extension for, say, 8:30, you'll be done-and-dusted by 11:30 am and should be able to return at 1 pm and ask for a queue ticket to get your re-entry permit.

I'll have a chance to test this on Feb 6. I have a 9 am appointment for my retirement extension. I'd been trying to decide if I wanted to apply for a re-entry permit on the same day or just wait until I knew I'd need one.

Something new? ... or have I been kept in the dark all these years ? I have never heard of an appointment system for retirement extensions at Chiang Mai. I heard a rumour of one being started about 3 years ago but nothing ever came of it. Please tell us all more -- how do you arrange an appointment ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The pleasure of seeing the disappointment and frustration on all you faces for the next few months until the can think up a new twist to liven there day.giggle.gif

Well... who knows... it didn't cost me a penny more to come back the next day (except another 20 minutes) and the immigration officer confirmed what the visa company told me. Guess I'll find out a year from now if it's still the case.

I discovered a new rule at CM this week (at least, new to me since this time last year; I use an agent, and, before, she did all the legwork.)

This year, for my retirement extension, I had to appear with the agent at Immigration.

Apparently there is a new boss since last summer and it was he who instituted this perfectly useless command.

Even so, it was still better to have the services of an agent so that one did not have to queue for hours on end. CM Immigration is a United Nations zoo. (But at least the staff smile frequently!)

No, I wasn't too late and the agent IS applying on my behalf... Chiang Mai just stopped doing the extension AND re-entry on the same day.

I asked the immigration officer and she confirmed the "new rule".

I was there last week for annual retirement extension and had a different experience. I was there in the morning. When I got my queue number, I was told to come back at 3pm. Yes, I was "one of the herd." I went back as requested. 4pm passed and I wondered if I would get my extension that day. After seeing the officer to hand in my forms after 4:30, I asked the nice gentleman at counter 1 (info) if it would be possible to get my re-entry permit yet today. I was told that it depends on how soon I get my passport back from the extension desk. True, this time it took an unusually long time to return my passport and I didn't get my re-entry, but by this time it was after 5pm. The kind gentleman at counter 1 was clear that it was just a matter of closing time, said nothing about any "new rule." He also pointed out that the re-entry was no big deal, that I could stop by any time and be in & out in a short while. I plan to stop by in the next week or so to pick it up after a round of golf.

I didn't say you're incorrect, OP, just that my experience was different. Do you speak Thai well enough to understand what was said to your agent? I wonder if maybe the agent manipulated the situation to get another trip, another fee out of you. No? Then never mind.

Does Thai gouvernement or immigration really hate farang so much that they make complication after complication.

Sometime i ask myself if i should stay i a country that seems to be so unfriendly to people that bring in so much money.

No, I wasn't too late and the agent IS applying on my behalf... Chiang Mai just stopped doing the extension AND re-entry on the same day.

I asked the immigration officer and she confirmed the "new rule".

I was there last week for annual retirement extension and had a different experience. I was there in the morning. When I got my queue number, I was told to come back at 3pm. Yes, I was "one of the herd." I went back as requested. 4pm passed and I wondered if I would get my extension that day. After seeing the officer to hand in my forms after 4:30, I asked the nice gentleman at counter 1 (info) if it would be possible to get my re-entry permit yet today. I was told that it depends on how soon I get my passport back from the extension desk. True, this time it took an unusually long time to return my passport and I didn't get my re-entry, but by this time it was after 5pm. The kind gentleman at counter 1 was clear that it was just a matter of closing time, said nothing about any "new rule." He also pointed out that the re-entry was no big deal, that I could stop by any time and be in & out in a short while. I plan to stop by in the next week or so to pick it up after a round of golf.

I didn't say you're incorrect, OP, just that my experience was different. Do you speak Thai well enough to understand what was said to your agent? I wonder if maybe the agent manipulated the situation to get another trip, another fee out of you. No? Then never mind.

Hi guys,

The agent was very apologetic and has not charged me a dime more for the second visit. I'm dumb but I'm not an idiot :) My extension stamp was ready at 3:30pm. I was told there was a new officer who implemented this new requirement that went into effect Monday 26th January... but If people are since getting their re-entry permits on the same day then I was misled for some odd reason.

Even so, it was still better to have the services of an agent so that one did not have to queue for hours on end. CM Immigration is a United Nations zoo. (But at least the staff smile frequently!)

I just dont get this.. Given we can book queue slot times, how is calling up your agent, booking the process, any harder then going online and reserving a time ??

I know some folks like to have some hand holding and guidance, but given the retirement extension has to be the simplest of the annual extensions.. Unless your using an agent to bribe around not having an income or money in the bank, I dont see what value they add ??

Book your own appointment and theres no "queuing for hours on end"..

I just dont get this.. Given we can book queue slot times, how is calling up your agent, booking the process, any harder then going online and reserving a time ??

I know some folks like to have some hand holding and guidance, but given the retirement extension has to be the simplest of the annual extensions.. Unless your using an agent to bribe around not having an income or money in the bank, I dont see what value they add ??

There are many, many reports from TVF members that getting an online appointment is difficult, at best.....impossible for some. Given that there are only 10 slots allotted per day and that (apparently) one must begin trying at 12:01 a.m. on the morning of the 130th day previous to your desired date, I can see where it would be challenging for some.

I discovered a new rule at CM this week (at least, new to me since this time last year; I use an agent, and, before, she did all the legwork.)

This year, for my retirement extension, I had to appear with the agent at Immigration.

Apparently there is a new boss since last summer and it was he who instituted this perfectly useless command.

It has ALWAYS been the rule that you need to appear in person to obtain an extension. Says so right on the TM 7 form. Problem is that in the past some agents had "arrangements" with certain Immigration officials in Chiang Mai. The new boss put a stop to that.

If it were me, I'd want to go see that the agent was really getting a valid stamp from a real immigration officer -- that a fake stamp wasn't being put into my passport. It happens, you know.

• Like 1

There are many, many reports from TVF members that getting an online appointment is difficult, at best.....impossible for some. Given that there are only 10 slots allotted per day and that (apparently) one must begin trying at 12:01 a.m. on the morning of the 130th day previous to your desired date, I can see where it would be challenging for some.

You have 30 days to try to get one..

Hey all,

I grilled the agent today and most of you were right. Passport came out of the extension process too late to get in queue for re-entry permit.

The immigration office is extremely busy these days so one has to get a queue number for morning service to be able to get them both done on the same day.

My first time posting information I thought would be important and I'm wrong. I suck.

Will go back to lurking :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In order to use the on-line queue you have to be organized enough to book your appointment well in advance since it often is totally booked solid. The new queue slots open at 12 midnight, so you have to be on-line then waiting for the new appointments to open. Not everyone is organized, stays up until midnight or has computer skills.

Also, agents add value in that they make the copies, fill out the paperwork and advise you about the process. They're especially valuable for the elderly, infirm, those with other physical handicaps and people who simply have busy lives.

We're very fortunate to have several hard-working, professional and kind visa agents in Chiang Mai. Since there are several, their rates are very low compared with the rest of Thailand.

Don't assume that everyone who uses a visa agent hires one to bribe the immigration officer. That simply isn't true and is a libelous comment.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1