Tottenham Thread

chonabot

24 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was in the kippax that game as always. Funny that you are Bolton fan that used to go to City, as in the 70s my dad used to take us to Bolton matches (circa Peter Thompson days) when City were away - also County on Friday nights.

Peter Thompson was top notch. A great dribbler. Big Sam and Peter Reid played in that team.

Went to a few City games mid 70s: Tueart, Kidd, Hartford, Donachie, Corrigan et al. It was a lot cheaper then.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

Just now, RickG16 said:

Oh so he is Bolton.

I went to Bolton 0 United 6 at Burnden Park back in the day. Cantona, Cole and I believe even Jordi Cruyff among the scorers ????

EDIT: Looking it up.. not Cantona or Cruyff but Scholes and Beckham did score... memory is going a bit. 

And this geezers not even 40

Just now, RickG16 said:

How are you fella? I'm a bit hurt you ignored my invitation to join the avocados discussion yesterday. 

Still a bit of a sore subject at present in the RC household but I did like your comment/shout out if that is any consolation. Yh I'm ok just been busy  just waiting for some food from a Korean restaurant at present. Take away.

Edited by Rc2702
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Always a pleasure to meet fellow football fans right here on the Spurs thread. They can't win anothing so may as well help them win the content count!

We allow this as long as the conversation is interesting.

Avocados is a hot subject always....how to keep my guacamole fresh is my big issue.

3 hours ago, champers said:

Peter Thompson was top notch. A great dribbler. Big Sam and Peter Reid played in that team.

Went to a few City games mid 70s: Tueart, Kidd, Hartford, Donachie, Corrigan et al. It was a lot cheaper then.

you forgot arguably the best, peter barnes,, on his day was up there with the gods ,, typical winger though next game he would be $N^&,, but yeah thompson was a class act , has to count himself unfortunate that ramsey 'dropped' wingers, else he was a shoe in for the 66 w c team  

Edited by 3 minus 2

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Always a pleasure to meet fellow football fans right here on the Spurs thread. They can't win anothing so may as well help them win the content count!

You can't help yourself  can you! Nice friendly discussion been going on and you have to take a pop. Behave.

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

We allow this as long as the conversation is interesting.

Avocados is a hot subject always....how to keep my guacamole fresh is my big issue.

ott with the lemon juice and tight with the cling film,, never quite  keeps its 'freshen' though does it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You can't help yourself  can you! Nice friendly discussion been going on and you have to take a pop. Behave.

i'm  honestly beginning to think he got a 'disorder,' he's just ALWAYS lookin for an argument   i've tried but  all he does is come back with argumentative replies,, the guys just a troll  and NOT a very bright one 

7 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

you forgot arguably the best, peter barnes,, on his day was up there with the gods ,, typical winger though next game he would be shit,, but yeah thompson was a class act , has to count himself unfortunate that ramsey 'dropped' wingers, else he was a shoe in for the 66 w c team  

You're right about both players.

Barnesy had such a unique jittery / jinking  style. Saw him a few times when he was unplayable, next game couldn't trap a ball - the similarity with Sane is uncanny. Have you seen Barnesy recently...looking old; Tommy Booth on the other hand looks nowhere like his age. Think ive discovered  that the speed  you run is related the speed you age (TB was the slowest toplevel player ive ever seen).

Edited by Bredbury Blue

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Oh so he is Bolton.

I went to Bolton 0 United 6 at Burnden Park back in the day. Cantona, Cole and I believe even Jordi Cruyff among the scorers ????

EDIT: Looking it up.. not Cantona or Cruyff but Scholes and Beckham did score... memory is going a bit. 

Black Sunday. Feb 26th, 1996. The "can't win anything kids" team.

• Like 1

Just now, 3 minus 2 said:

i'm  honestly beginning to think he got a 'disorder,' he's just ALWAYS lookin for an argument   i've tried but  all he does is come back with argumentative replies,, the guys just a troll  and NOT a very bright one 

Bale is doing fabulous at present he has certainly filled the void. 

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Bale is doing fabulous at present he has certainly filled the void. 

Early days, however they paid a world ish record for a an absolute class LEFT winger and <deleted> do they do.. play him predominantly @rhs... whist ronnie was guv.. sort u could see it  ISH but to STILL do it is imo criminally stupid i know isco   ect ect ... however one things 4 sure one way or the other real madrid WILL improve.

Just now, 3 minus 2 said:

Early days, however they paid a world ish record for a an absolute class LEFT winger and <deleted> do they do.. play him predominantly @rhs... whist ronnie was guv.. sort u could see it  ISH but to STILL do it is imo criminally stupid i know isco   ect ect ... however one things 4 sure one way or the other real madrid WILL improve.

Not sure about that at all. Madrid look awful and they have an aging squad and the players there are not used to playing as main men after years of being outshone by CR7 so I don't expect them to improve at all and teams can smell the deficiency in that team now so it's not going to be an easy fix. 3rd in La Liga this season I reckon. So that's a fail and no way is there a CL semi in that team. 

I've had a few asking me if we can stop Man City's run of wins on Monday by a few grinning fans of all persuasion so here it is.

If we played each other every week for 10 weeks City would win 8...1 draw and we'd get a win once cos a few of theirs are out injured.

Let's not kid ourselves here....but do we care....?

Not a jot....ya spends ya loot and ya wins the league....simples.

1 minute ago, maximuss99 said:

Many thks Rc2702

Ever so sorry to be bearer of bad news

January 13 .2019 is the next promised date .to move into your new stadium.

The Daniel Levy curse continues.

In fact  it gets  better and better

You just know its going to be awesome.....a proper stadium to your library.

7 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

You just know its going to be awesome.....a proper stadium to your library.

Forget Max, started off so well, old dog with no new tricks, turned out to be crushingly tedious and boring.  Same rhetoric, day after day......is that the time!

Oh but ever so polite!!????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Let's not kid ourselves here....but do we care....?

Not a jot....ya spends ya loot and ya wins the league....simples.

Simples.

I beg to disagree.

M/U have spent from memory 600 mil quid plus.under Maureen.s regime and are.currently outside the top 4.

Leicester only a couple seasons back won the EPL on a shoe string.

Why roast M/City for their good fortune.that has come their way 

Perhaps  jealousy is clouding  your opinion LOL

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, maximuss99 said:

Simples.

I beg to disagree.

M/U have spent from memory 600 mil quid plus.under Maureen.s regime and are.currently outside the top 4.

Leicester only a couple seasons back won the EPL on a shoe string.

Why roast M/City for their good fortune.that has come their way 

Perhaps  jealousy is clouding  your opinion LOL

I don't tend to agree or disagree here.  Lets break it down.  Leicester was a one off unlikely ever to be repeated again.  Anyone other than a manager with the name and past record of Mourinho would have been sacked fly now where United are now within the spend of around 450m.  Pep has spent more but have created one of the best sides in europe, capable of winning all the silverware and light years ahead of United.

Yes the money is a massive help but it has to be spent wisely.  Roasting City?!!  I think he's simply stating the plain obvious that they have a massive advantage but that's because Guardiola has made the most of his spend and Mourinho hasn't.  And i do just love it when Leicester Citys name is thrown in to suggest the money isn't such an advantage...they were the bookies 5000/1  shot and it was a one off bloody miracle!!

Regards jealousy, Ronnie can answer for himself, for me as i've said before i would absolutely hate my club to be bought by an arab or filthy leeching russian oligarchs.

Edited by carmine
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, owl sees all said:

You are quite right Rick. Time passes and we can forget. Clubs that have played top flight since 1960 include; L Orient, Oxford, Northampton, Carlisle and Luton. not sure about Grimsby; I'll look that up.

Luton were a decent team whilst in the top flight. Remember the FA cup semi when they knocked out Norwich who would have been the first 3rd flight team to reach the final.

But back to Spurs for a moment. I was at WHL in 1960 when a young guy playing for Chelsea scored in a 0-1 victory. His name; Jimmy Greaves. Went on to be perhaps the greatest forward England ever had. He went to Italy and then on to Spurs. His first 5 metres pace was exceptional. Only matched since by Gary Lineker (before his sickness). It's what made him special. A racehorse amongst carthorses. He - in my opinion - did as much as any footballer to change the way attacking football was played in England.

In the fifties, Alfie Stokes was a talented Spurs player who liked to go greyhound racing. A couple of times, he'd turn up at a Saturday afternoon meeting, normally Watford, to have a bet, which was a bit of a surprise because he was supposed to be playing at White Hart Lane for the first team. He'd say that he'd go down 'injured' during the game, get changed double quick and scoot off to wherever he fancied to bet a 'good thing'. Absolutely no chance that anybody would get away with that nowadays

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oldgit said:

In the fifties, Alfie Stokes was a talented Spurs player who liked to go greyhound racing. A couple of times, he'd turn up at a Saturday afternoon meeting, normally Watford, to have a bet, which was a bit of a surprise because he was supposed to be playing at White Hart Lane for the first team. He'd say that he'd go down 'injured' during the game, get changed double quick and scoot off to wherever he fancied to bet a 'good thing'. Absolutely no chance that anybody would get away with that nowadays

I never got the pro level but semi-pro. However, still got to know about the players.

Some liked the ladies (sometimes more than one at a time) and others the drink.

Others had dark secrets. Just like many of us I guess. I've had quite a few boozy chats with well known household name pro's.

I used to bump into a Spur's first teamer many times in various betting shops. Smashing lad; Scottish. He would give me tips. Never won!

Didn't know any pro' on drugs though; even weed.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

15 year Nike kit deal? ????

Stinks of a club that spent a huge amount on a stadium and are suddenly skint.

Nike obviously were keen for that as in the long run they would save a huge amount (it doesn't even account for inflation!), and Spurs are happy because they get a big up front payment which can keep their head above water. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Stinks of a club that spent a huge amount on a stadium and are suddenly skint.

Nike obviously were keen for that as in the long run they would save a huge amount (it doesn't even account for inflation!), and Spurs are happy because they get a big up front payment which can keep their head above water. 

You seem to know a lot about this deal....kindly tell us all the details please.

Just now, RonniePickering22 said:

You seem to know a lot about this deal....kindly tell us all the details please.

All over the internet mate. Obviously my comments were my take on it, based on financial common sense.

But we do know that Chelsea got paid twice as much per year, for the same deal with the same brand. Make of that what you will.