Tottenham Thread

chonabot

What defence?

edit :a bit harsh smile.gif they did keep a clean sheet unlike United have been doing recently.

It was 2-1 last night....and if the Greeks had been able to pass the ball to their teammates a bit more often it might have been an even quieter night at the library.

Luckily we know how to do that better than most...and have a decent goalscorer as well. I predicted 3-0 but I'm wishing I'd gone for four now after watching that. biggrin.gif

What defence?

edit :a bit harsh smile.gif they did keep a clean sheet unlike United have been doing recently.

It was 2-1 last night....and if the Greeks had been able to pass the ball to their teammates a bit more often it might have been an even quieter night at the library.

Luckily we know how to do that better than most...and have a decent goalscorer as well. I predicted 3-0 but I'm wishing I'd gone for four now after watching that. biggrin.gif

Lets wait and see shall we?!! :D

One thing i do know is we still have'nt learnt how to finish teams off. We must learn how to close games off. That final twenty minutes at Wigan was ridiculous baring in mind the battering we gave them in the first half. Arsenal still look good going forward and will punish us if we don't wise up.

Big up to Shamrock rovers thought they put on more than a decent show. V good to see a trust owned club being relatively successful.

Aye it was an enjoyable game...barring the 10 mins we were behind of course...nah all credit to them and Rice and the keeper who were outstanding.

Pleasant warm up for Sunday.

So how many of the Arsenal team playing tomorrow (i.e. excluding Wilshere and Vermalean) would get into the Tottenham team?

Van Persie until he went off injured at half time and maybe that big German geezer....but only while Gallas is out. biggrin.gif

Interesting to read about two mid table teams squabbling from time to time :D I do think spurs will win this one on Sunday only as the goners are so bad this season.

Yes our consistently good performances will continue...and as was mentioned hopefully we will kill games off a bit quicker from now on....starting today with a bit of luck.

Edit: I'm choosing to ignore that jibe for now Seapok...but I may return to it when we beat you at Fulham. biggrin.gif

Edited by smokie36

Have to bite the bullet and agree with you now carms regarding VDV...yeah he is a real threat and goalscorer but he does affect our shape too much. Even I was calling for his substitution by half time.

When Sandro came on we looked far more solid and it allowed Bale more freedom down the left which he exploited well.

Still need another striker imo but well done to the lads today......COYS! biggrin.gif

Scrappy win against a pretty toothless arsenal, did they threaten our goal?. Yep , make u right about van der man he defo needed to come off, up front he's a threat but when he's in midfeild he's average, just. We were losing the midfield battle and 4 2 long we were reduced to the long ball up to ads and defoe, and frankly it wasn't working, just as well the arse wipes arn't v good, cos a team with more about them may well have made more of the possession, But still always good to get 3 points from them, wouldn't it b nice to take their champs league spot!!!! And actually on that show shouldn't be 2 dificult.

I am no genius i'll admit :whistling: but only a tactical cretin like diamond geezer 'Arry thinks that Van Der Vaart can play right midfield. No one should blame the player other than for his laziness. He should only play in the hole behind a main striker end of. Yes, i do remember he scored a very good goal but it position in right midfield compromised the whole team set up. It was just rank stupidity tactically especially when you have a player like Sandro at your disposal. They should have started, we would have controlled the midfield, and seeing what i saw of Arsenal, it would'nt have been close.

A great three points despite Redknapp and thanks hugely to Parker, easily man of the match. Superb workrate and he would have been greatly aided by having Sandro there for ninety minutes. If only he would just let us field a midfield containing Modric, Parker and Sandro and stop meddling, i fancy us to give anyone a go. He should stop tinkering, trying to prove what a great tactician he is, because he not and never will be at top level. He should stick to the arm round the shoulder, triffic triffic boy, diamond geezer routine.

Oh and just to add, we have Walker making surging runs up the right flank and saggy chops picks a guy who does'nt back track and can't tackle to cover for him when he goes upfield. Imbecile.

By the time we go to St James's, Gallas should be back along with Lennon, but hopefully Ledleys knee will continue to hold out. Happys days at WHL and Harry for England

The biggest worry was Van Der Vaart getting sent off for his goal celebration. If that was Atkinson we would have been down to ten men.

That would have been harsh. Parker was as you say brilliant filling in all over the park when needed.

The way I see it VDV can only play either with one striker or with Bale and Walker playing as wing backs with Sandro and Parker filling the holes....against teams we're struggling to break down...for the last half hour or so of a game.

A great three points despite Redknapp and thanks hugely to Parker, easily man of the match. Superb workrate and he would have been greatly aided by having Sandro there for ninety minutes. If only he would just let us field a midfield containing Modric, Parker and Sandro and stop meddling, i fancy us to give anyone a go. He should stop tinkering, trying to prove what a great tactician he is, because he not and never will be at top level. He should stick to the arm round the shoulder, triffic triffic boy, diamond geezer routine.

Only problem with that is if Modric, Parker and Sandro all start with Bale on the left it would mean Modric having to play on the right and wouldn't he be wasted there instead

of playing his usual playmaker role in the middle?

Only problem with that is if Modric, Parker and Sandro all start with Bale on the left it would mean Modric having to play on the right and wouldn't he be wasted there instead

Agree with you there sotsira, so how about Modric in a free role in front of the defensive two with Bale and perhaps Lennon on the flanks, which brings me on too another little idea i have :o

While watching Kyle Naughton have a good game on Saturday and thinking that it is a shame that he probaly won't get into the team with Walker there, how about turning Walker into an attacking right side side player ala Gareth Bale ;)

']

Walker there, how about turning Walker into an attacking right side side player ala Gareth Bale ;)

And drop lennon? think that were better off with both as long as walkers defensive game keeps improving,with corluka ready to step in, at the mo the right hand side seems well balanced and v well covered.

Edited by rijit

While watching Kyle Naughton have a good game on Saturday and thinking that it is a shame that he probaly won't get into the team with Walker there, how about turning Walker into an attacking right side side player ala Gareth Bale ;)

He can cross the ball...which is more than can be said for Lennon.

Thats harsh on the lemon, and really not a fair comparison walker tends lob the ball in early and hard, a typical full bac's delivery, wheras the lemon crosses late and from as near as the 5 yrd box, its different and much more difficult skill to master, one one that took giggs years to get a handle on. And as 4 walker mastering it, well no chance would extreme, but lets be honest his biggest and arguably his only asset is his pace, he really doesn't have the same technical ability as say bale, best off letting him get a handle on his main job as a full bac after all he's not doing 2 bad at it, so far!!!

Thats harsh on the lemon, and really not a fair comparison walker tends lob the ball in early and hard, a typical full bac's delivery, wheras the lemon crosses late and from as near as the 5 yrd box, its different and much more difficult skill to master, one one that took giggs years to get a handle on. And as 4 walker mastering it, well no chance would extreme, but lets be honest his biggest and arguably his only asset is his pace, he really doesn't have the same technical ability as say bale, best off letting him get a handle on his main job as a full bac after all he's not doing 2 bad at it, so far!!!

I'm of a similar opinion regarding Walker but Lennon is so inconsistent with his distribution it does leave me wondering...

Mate, wingers and consistency have they' ever gone together?., And this new trend of playing a right winger on the left hasn't helped the lemon he's average at best on the left and he's so reliant on flair and confidence dont think it does him any good switching, but hey were moaning he wernt even on the bench on sunday!! <deleted> squad wise not such a bad position to be in!!ch

and watch out brentford and div one like spurs exeters season's just kicked of,, if u get a chance have a look at our first goal v oldham on saturday, for div 1 it was class.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/15144247.stm

Edited by rijit

To be fair Rij it was just a little idea i thought i would throw in to see what people thought :( as apart from Lennon who else looks like they could do a decent job their ;)

Agree with you there sotsira, so how about Modric in a free role in front of the defensive two with Bale and perhaps Lennon on the flanks, which brings me on too another little idea i have :o

Good points all round here and what it tells me is that selling VDV for lots in january is an option that should be looked at. Its no critism of him as a player its just a case of him not really fitting in with our best options. Buying at 8m also gives Levy a chance to make some extra cash.

Eith way in favour a 4-4-2. I see Parker and Sandro as a terrific backbone. We'll sweat on Ledleys fitness from game to game but atleast Gallas should be back soon in what might be his last season for us. (Keep a close eye on Caulker when he's back fit) I'm sort of with smokie on Lennon. I get really fed up with the inconsistency of his final ball. With the runs that Walker makes is Lennon really so important these days if you have a midfielder to cover and track back? I'm not so sure he is. I also still think Bale would workout well at left back.

With the lemon, to get the best out of him what uve got to do is get him on the r/h/s edge/inside of penalty area and there is not a ful bac in the prem that can handle lemon, one on one he's virtually unstoppable, which is why u v v rarely see that, if we can spot it prem manager's and coach's for sure can, and more than not u see 2/3 defenders/ middies dropping bac to make it more difficult for him, and again give me a winger in the history of the game that turns in consistently sparkling performances week in week out, thats the annoying, frustrating call the emotion what u want about winger, you know what they are capable of but they, as a breed, are inconstant. also in defense of wingers there arnt many forwards who read or make a wingers job easy, watch 2 days 4 wards they move to the rear post and the middle of the goal, not easy targets for a winger thats got a angry fulbac in his wake, Strikers have to move to areas that the wingers can easily pass to Linikar was great at it baloteli is the best i've seen recently watch his movement, he's smart.

Edited by rijit