Tottenham Thread

chonabot

After today's earlier thread regarding the first potential sacking of a premiership manager,may I ask what the general consensus with Spurs fans is regarding the current boss Mr AVB,is he good for the club or not ?

We're happy. Most of us will be even more so when Lloris plays every game.

barring the 2nd goal, which arguably he should have stopped AS HE GOT HIS HANDS TO THE BALL but spilled it, i thought he did ok, but is ok enough to take the shirt from freda ? smokey your missing what i'm saying i'm not against hugo getting the shirt, but AS IT STANDS he needs to win it, rather than just get it and as far as i can see he aint done enough to win it yet.

So Rij, being as you keep harping on about it, do you think AVB gives the instruction to sit deeper and keep giving the ball away ? re your comment about bringing a midfielder off and putting on a defender on, dont you think a lot of teams would do this in the 79th minute ?

Actually no I dont and of coarse vb doesn't say 'give possession away' but taking an attack minded player off and putting a defensive minded player on has a tendency 2 give the opponents players space to push further up the pitch and our middies, as weve discussed, haven't the ability 2 hold and bring the ball out add that to a lack of arguably a forward who can hold, our defense being what it is at the mo cracks. vb should be on top of it and pic tactics that suit our personnel not expect players to suit the tactics only a subtle difference but IMO a crucial one . Oh and another point,when did we stop having players on the goal line?

What attack minded player did he take off last night ?

carroll.

1-0 and cruising, vb does his normal 'lets sit on the lead' takes a midfielder off and brings a defender on and BANG we're out. No excuses bad decision making by vb . Terrible penalty by Dempsey.

i don't think it's AVB instructions to sit on a lead from half time, the players just seem to panick ! he didn't bring on a defender for a midfielder until the 79th minute.

Problem with the defensive substitutions is that it sends a message to the team psychologically or tactically,

to sit back and defend, this has cost us on numerous occasions already this season.

It's up to AVB and his backroom staff to put a stop to it on the training pitch or rethink his strategy.

You can't blame the players, the buck stops with him on his substitutions, as most of the time they have worked against

him so far this season.

I agree rijit what would happen if he is given the spot and makes regular ricks like he did last night?

If he makes regular ricks like he did last night then Spurs have bought a lemon.

However, I don't think they have and IMO he needs a good run in the team to gain confidence and to prove himself.

• Like 1

I agree rijit what would happen if he is given the spot and makes regular ricks like he did last night?

I wouldnt go as far to say it was a rick red, it was a particularly difficult ball to stop and he did well to recover and get anywhere near the second shot, BUT if he's gonna get/win the shirt 4 me win should be what expected, i want to feel that at least he's had one game where he's saved our arse last night he didnt, so draw from that what you wish.

If he makes regular ricks like he did last night then Spurs have bought a lemon.

However, I don't think they have and IMO he needs a good run in the team to gain confidence and to prove himself.

Exactly.

Exactly.

uptheo's,smokey are you suggesting he's lacking in confidence?, He's france's no 1 shouldn't need games to gain confidence, but up's in every game hugo has played 4 us there have been incidents that border on mistakes,last night was the most questionable, putting him in,imo, it's a risk until either hugos proves his worth or freda beyond DOUBT shows he's losing the plot, then things should stay as they are.

Edited by rijit

Exactly.

uptheo's,smokey are you suggesting he's lacking in confidence?, He's france's no 1 shouldn't need games to gain confidence, but up's in every game hugo has played 4 us there have been incidents that border on mistakes,last night was the most questionable, putting him in,imo, it's a risk until either hugos proves his worth or freda beyond DOUBT shows he's losing the plot, then things should stay as they are.

We get your point rij.

Just leave this one to the manager rij I reckon....we're never going to agree but I just don't want him demanding a transfer in the summer.

We get your point rij.

Just leave this one to the manager rij I reckon....we're never going to agree but I just don't want him demanding a transfer in the summer.

yeah agreed smokes. but fredas contracts up in july or is it june either one it clears the way for him.

We get your point rij.

yeah agreed smokes. but fredas contracts up in july or is it june either one it clears the way for him.

Trouble is his France manager aint happy he isn't playing. That will in turn unsettle Lloris.

We get your point rij.

Trouble is his France manager aint happy he isn't playing. That will in turn unsettle Lloris.

the french manger said at the weekend? that whilst he thought hugo had made a mistake by not speaking with the coach and establishing that he would be first choice, sounds like 4 vb it was a done deal, his place in the national team wasn't under threat, which is a turn around from his previous statement which was on the lines of 'no first team no national team'.

After today's earlier thread regarding the first potential sacking of a premiership manager,may I ask what the general consensus with Spurs fans is regarding the current boss Mr AVB,is he good for the club or not ?

They haven't yet assumed the normal (for the last ten years) position of one to eight places below Arsenal, so he must be doing better than the other 256 managers theyve had over that periodtongue.png

Another smug classless gloating gooner post

Exactly.

Theres no such thing as "border on mistakes." Its either a mistake or its not as much as you want to convince us otherwise.

So infact since you say they border, infact they are not. biggrin.png

Considering he's only played a handful of games and must be rusty, i think, as do nearly all Spurs fans by the sound of it, he's been very good

One more thing that even you!!! can't argue about is that Brads distribution is aweful and always has been whereas Lloris' is excellent. Brad just gives the ball straight back to the opposition.

Edited by carmine

Actually no I dont and of coarse vb doesn't say 'give possession away' but taking an attack minded player off and putting a defensive minded player on has a tendency 2 give the opponents players space to push further up the pitch and our middies, as weve discussed, haven't the ability 2 hold and bring the ball out add that to a lack of arguably a forward who can hold, our defense being what it is at the mo cracks. vb should be on top of it and pic tactics that suit our personnel not expect players to suit the tactics only a subtle difference but IMO a crucial one . Oh and another point,when did we stop having players on the goal line?

You say Carroll !!!

For a start the sub was'nt until the 79th minute, which a lot of teams do to try and close out a game.

Your implying we weren't under the cosh until he made the above sub, what about the previous 34 minutes of the second half, what about the second half of the man U game, by your reckoning we shouldn't have been under the cosh for all of the second half as we didn't bring a defensive player on !!

And by the way it was something Arri use to do quite regulary but i didn't hear you moaning about him doing it !!!!

1-0 and cruising, vb does his normal 'lets sit on the lead' takes a midfielder off and brings a defender on and BANG we're out. No excuses bad decision making by vb . Terrible penalty by Dempsey.

i don't think it's AVB instructions to sit on a lead from half time, the players just seem to panick ! he didn't bring on a defender for a midfielder until the 79th minute.

Problem with the defensive substitutions is that it sends a message to the team psychologically or tactically,

to sit back and defend, this has cost us on numerous occasions already this season.

It's up to AVB and his backroom staff to put a stop to it on the training pitch or rethink his strategy.

You can't blame the players, the buck stops with him on his substitutions, as most of the time they have worked against

him so far this season.

No defensive substitutions against Utd but we stll sat back and defended !!!!

him so far this season.

What numerous occassions were they ?

When did they work against us ?

They haven't yet assumed the normal (for the last ten years) position of one to eight places below Arsenal, so he must be doing better than the other 256 managers theyve had over that periodtongue.png

Another smug classless gloating gooner post

Your'e right - I must stop getting dragged down to your leveltongue.png

Exactly.

I understand what you are saying, but Man U had a similar problem with De Gea when he first arrived. After leaving him out once or twice AF decided (I think) that the only way to see if he really is good enough, was to play him regularly and I think it has paid off. As said, France are concerned that not being played will affect him and maybe they have a point. After all he's the captain and when he joins up I'm sure he gets quizzed and maybe the brunt of jokes by his colleagues regarding not playing....who knows?

France manager Deschamp's is already saying he made a mistake, so I think he's under a bit of stress right now.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/400109/20121031/tottenham-spurs-villas-boas-hugo-lloris-didier.htm

You are correct i think. AVB is handling this badly and i actually don't think that Brad would have a problem standing down to be replaced by a world class keeper, who's getting rusty and nearly seventeen years younger.

Just mine and many others thoughts on the ongoing panto.

You are correct i think. AVB is handling this badly and i actually don't think that Brad would have a problem standing down to be replaced by a world class keeper, who's getting rusty and nearly seventeen years younger.

Right, in fact I think he would take it as a compliment that Spurs needed a world class goalkeeper to replace him.

Right, in fact I think he would take it as a compliment that Spurs needed a world class goalkeeper to replace him.

I think its fair to say that if you were looking for a like for like keeper to replace Friedal he'd have to be world class. The guy has been consistently superd and seemnigly ever present throughout his career

I'd play him every game until Xmas without even considering his form until then. One howler or two would make no difference. He has to learn how the Premiership is.

If at Xmas its decided he isn't yet up to scratch give him a month out to get his game back on track.

This odd game here and there is a nonsense.

I'd play him every game until Xmas without even considering his form until then. One howler or two would make no difference. He has to learn how the Premiership is.

If at Xmas its decided he isn't yet up to scratch give him a month out to get his game back on track.

This odd game here and there is a nonsense.

I can understand differing views of supporters, but like you and Carmine, I would give him a run. I guess it's easy for me to say as a neutral, as I don't have the emotion attached........(a lifetime of watching the O's does that to you). wink.png