Commuting in Bkk on a big bike.. A pain in the ...?

eeeya

So.. I bought myself a CB300F a month ago for the Bangkok commute / something to toy around with

The reason I chose this bike is:

A: Small enough for a first bike with a clutch

B: Small enough for wrestling bangkok traffic

C: Pretty cheap.

So in the last couple of days I've been running errands between Thonburi and Sukhumvit in the peak hour traffic and returning after lunch. Clutch, break, clutch, break over and over. Weaving in and out between cars.

Originally I planned to get my legs on this bike then once I felt comfortable with riding a bike I'd buy a big bike.

However, I'm starting to think a big bike is gonna be a pain in the ass doing this on regularly. There's a reason scooters are so popular.. Its because they're small, automatic and a hell of a lot easier to hit the traffic on.

My question is.. Is there many out there who commutes regularly on a big bike in bangkok or is it just too much of a pain in the backside???

I'm starting to think in the future maybe buy a big bike for the weekend toy and swap the CB300F for a twist and go.

Thoughts?

I agree.

If you are doing a lot of inner-city Bangkok riding, a heavier bike with a heavy clutch becomes a pain. A Click, Wave, Mio, Raider or the like is fine. I rode inner-city BKK daily for 10 years.

Now, people will come on and tell us that they are able to ride along Sukhumvit on their CBR 650's at 150 kmh while dodging in and out and that we are wusses.

I now have 2 bikes, a 125 and a 500 and select which one to use as to where I am going.

To the OP, keep the 300, but buy another one if you are likely to do a lot more BKK riding. thumbsup.gif

I ride my 650 in traffic and you can do it but it becomes boring. The bike is heavier but I still use it in traffic. I got a scooter too and sure its even easier in traffic because its lighter and has a better turning circle.

• Like 2

You could always get a Honda NC700x, which has very good handling and most importantly is full automatic.

And you won't have to get a plastic bucket maxi scooter...

Doesn't the NC700X have a plastic bucket storage compartment where most real bikes have their fuel tanks?

• Like 2

You could always get a Honda NC700x, which has very good handling and most importantly is full automatic.

And you won't have to get a plastic bucket maxi scooter...

Doesn't the NC700X have a plastic bucket storage compartment where most real bikes have their fuel tanks?

I believe so :)

It has the bucket inside, but on the outside it looks like a proper bike at least. 555

• Like 1

I also prefer my pcx for city hopping and only using an open face helmet.

When I want a real ride, I gear up and take my versys.

This is off-course a pain in the arse when I am down town on the scooter and want to go for a ride further away and have to ride home and don gear and ride off again but never mind, I don't work here and has the time.

• Like 2

So.. I bought myself a CB300F a month ago for the Bangkok commute / something to toy around with

The reason I chose this bike is:

A: Small enough for a first bike with a clutch

B: Small enough for wrestling bangkok traffic

C: Pretty cheap.

So in the last couple of days I've been running errands between Thonburi and Sukhumvit in the peak hour traffic and returning after lunch. Clutch, break, clutch, break over and over. Weaving in and out between cars.

Originally I planned to get my legs on this bike then once I felt comfortable with riding a bike I'd buy a big bike.

However, I'm starting to think a big bike is gonna be a pain in the ass doing this on regularly. There's a reason scooters are so popular.. Its because they're small, automatic and a hell of a lot easier to hit the traffic on.

My question is.. Is there many out there who commutes regularly on a big bike in bangkok or is it just too much of a pain in the backside???

I'm starting to think in the future maybe buy a big bike for the weekend toy and swap the CB300F for a twist and go.

Thoughts?

All I can say is try to avoid commuting in BKK with a bigbike. A CB 300 is IMO a very good alternative if you have to use it in BKK traffic. It rides like a moped. For my the Honda SH 150 i would be the perfect bike for city riding. Edited by Nickymaster

I haven't seen many Thai guys on big bikes in the peak hr rush. Well, I did see an ER6N today, and a Hayabusa yesterday. But mostly I'm under the impression the big bikes are for the weekend Starbucks hangout.

In the NE side of BKK I've seen a metric sh!te tonne of 150/250 bikes. A sprinkling of ER-6s. Not much else.

I reckon that if I had a Sukhumvit commute, I'd want something like the Airblade or Zoomer-X. Ridiculously short wheel base and just enough power. I don't care if I'd look like a circus bear on a tricycle.

The 500X works really well for splitting the lanes also. For some reason my lights are right on the level of most cars' mirrors. Throw in the LED lights and they make way for me. The bad thing is the turning radius compared to scooters; they can slip into spaces between cars that I can't or I end up looking like a local yokel parallel parking trying to get into. The height, which family on the move talked about, is great! Can really see above the crap that limits your planning on a shorter bike.

• Like 1

Been commuting in Bangkok for 6 years now. The biggest problem is turning radius between cars. Apart from that you should be fine on a CBR300. As you get more used to it the weight wont be a problem and you'll be dragging it around. Get some Ninja mirrors that you can fold in when needed or other after market mirrors, with folded in mirrors you are actually slimmer than a scooter. Leave your bike in 2nd gear, you can still easily pull away from a standstill and you won't ever need to change that much in heavy traffic.The point about better brakes etc is a valid one.

Yes in very very heavy traffic a scooter is better, just try to a bit more patient. If you decide to buy a scooter then don't get a PCX. Yes, no gear changes but it is bigger and you will be no better off than on your CBR. A new Nouvo, Click or Mio are your best bets, or an old Honda Airblade is an excellent scooter.

• Like 1

Everything clear again i guess biggrin.png

Easy, difficult, scooter better, big bike better, buy a PCX, buy no PCX, and so on and on smile.png

Seems everyone has to decide for his own. At least if you are not such a crack like ll2 who rides the biggest bikes like an artist in the circus and jumps over all traffic jams with dozens shopping bags hanging from the mirrors laugh.png

There is not "the commuting", everyone has different needs. Eg. some go shopping with car, some with bike....

• Like 1

Easy, difficult, scooter better, big bike better, buy a PCX, buy no PCX, and so on and on smile.png

Seems everyone has to decide for his own. At least if you are not such a crack like ll2 who rides the biggest bikes like an artist in the circus and jumps over all traffic jams with dozens shopping bags hanging from the mirrors laugh.png

There is not "the commuting", everyone has different needs. Eg. some go shopping with car, some with bike....

Try concentrating on the topic and then try to add something useful instead of criticizing other posters. Just give it a try.
  • Like 2

i commute in bangkok for 7 years wih many different bikes with a conventional tranny.

best bike for bangkok i rode was cbr500r. it was slim, light and has good turning radius. plus big tires and abs ill make you safer.

i can pass anywhere a scooter can pass and reach point be faster than a scoter.

even cbr650f i am commuting now is great for bangkok.

i was also thining like i dont need any bike in bangkok ore than cbr150r but itbecameboring after a whilecb300f is a great bike or bangkok but you can commute on a cbr650f is also cool if you have experience and know what you are doing.

there might be other people that might mislead you towards scooters or some are not competent enough to ride a big bike in Bangkok and they might mislead you, just dont mind.

a bike needs some power to save you a..s...s in tight situations and danger. also a big bike has better suspensions, brakes and components that will make your commute safer and more fun of course. you might start to like your commute!

I think it depends on the commute. Stationary traffic with very tight gaps, changing lanes through a 2 foot gap between the front of one stationary car and the rear of another? The wider turning circle and increased length of a bigger bike is an obvious disadvantage no matter how skilled the rider. Doesn't matter if you're Marc Marquez, geometry dictates that you'd still get through that gap easier on a shorter bike with a tighter turning circle.

Also depends on the bike, it might not be too bad on the bikes you mentioned as they are built with some commuting in mind, but on a supersport the turning circle is generally very poor and the ergonomics can be quite uncomfy when travelling at low speed for prolonged periods.

if the traffic is moving then I'd definitely agree that the bigger bike has some advantages. But if you're doing 50kms each way that's 500 kms a week or 25000 kms a year. That's a lot of kms, a lot of servicing, a lot of tyres, a lot of gas for a bigger bike. Substantially more than the same journey on a small bike.

If I was commuting daily by bike like the OP and thinking about a bigger bike, I'd get something like a MSX125 (some may prefer an auto scooter) to do the dirty work and keep a big bike for weekend fun.

• Like 1

Having done that bit I'd like to put my point across.

I have ridden a Suzuki Best 125 (now 11 years old and still going strong....gaffer tape and all) in Bangkok for 7 years now. In the centre I could wish for nothing else, particularly when riding in places like Chinatown and I will avoid being behind anything bigger (i.e. 150+) as I know I will invariably end up waiting when they can't haul it round the front of a car in a tight spot.

However since moving to Chaeng Wattana (my wife's work...not my choice) I find that riding roads like CW or Viphavadhi Rangsit requires every cc I have and isn't that enjoyable. During rush hour it is better as it is mostly riding between cars but once the traffic lightens up it is much harder.

My next bike will probably be a 150 (looking at a Raider...love Suzuki) just to give me that little bit more whilst maintaining that versatility and weight.

If I need to go out of town? I hire a car so I can take the family.

• Like 1

I haven't seen many Thai guys on big bikes in the peak hr rush. Well, I did see an ER6N today, and a Hayabusa yesterday. But mostly I'm under the impression the big bikes are for the weekend Starbucks hangout.

As you don't ride big bikes, your impressions are mostly wrong. There are of course a few Starbucks posers around Thonglor but the majority hit Khao Yai, Kanchanaburi etc at the weekends. Probably best not to comment until you know what you're talking about, hmm?

Seems everyone has to decide for his own. At least if you are not such a crack like ll2 who rides the biggest bikes like an artist in the circus and jumps over all traffic jams with dozens shopping bags hanging from the mirrors laugh.png..

Yes, yes, yes. we know you hate big bikes and love taking digs at their riders. rolleyes.gif Nothing new here.

As to the OP. A 300 isn't a big bike but yes, riding a big bike through Bangkok traffic is a pain. On the plus side, it's excellent training in low-speed throttle control, clutch-feathering and brake control. Also, great practice in concentration and focus.

---EDITED BY draftvader---

Removing a quote of a deleted post.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

I commuted through Tokyo traffic for years on 250kg bikes- obviously Bangkok traffic has a different dynamic, but there are basic similarities- if you're riding a bike strictly to save time in heavy, stop-and-go traffic and competing in the stop-light rally, a smaller bike will get you to your destination faster than a 'big' (which in this example means anything larger than a 125cc scooter) bike, and it will take less effort as far as rider input goes- if you have stretches where the road opens up during your commute and cars and larger bikrs are passing scooters at will, then you'd likely be better off sticking with what you've got. If you want to ride a motorcycle, the clutch and shifter are a fact of life unless you go for one of the auto-shifting bikes already mentioned- if it's bothering you now, it will likely continue to bother you. What others might find acceptable is food-for-thought, but everybody is different in that area.

Frankly, I think your experience has already supplied you with the answer you're looking for.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

As you don't ride big bikes, your impressions are mostly wrong. There are of course a few Starbucks posers around Thonglor but the majority hit Khao Yai, Kanchanaburi etc at the weekends. Probably best not to comment until you know what you're talking about, hmm?

Seems everyone has to decide for his own. At least if you are not such a crack like ll2 who rides the biggest bikes like an artist in the circus and jumps over all traffic jams with dozens shopping bags hanging from the mirrors laugh.png..

Yes, yes, yes. we know you hate big bikes and love taking digs at their riders. rolleyes.gif Nothing new here.

As to the OP. A 300 isn't a big bike but yes, riding a big bike through Bangkok traffic is a pain. On the plus side, it's excellent training in low-speed throttle control, clutch-feathering and brake control. Also, great practice in concentration and focus.

Cheers for your input mate. Think you got my post all wrong. But anyway up to you
  • Like 1

Cheers for your input mate. Think you got my post all wrong. But anyway up to you

We have to remove all quotes of a deleted post or there is no point in deleting it. Your reply to it has to go too.

some live their lives a different than the crowd wantan.

motorcycles are my life and i can do a lot of things with them.

not bc i am a crack or a stunt guy!

do you want me to drive a car to shops and stuck in nonsense traffic for an hour for a 10 minute motorcycle ride?

or do you want me to ride a scooter which makes me feel unsafe and bored?

i have a honda wave 125 x though and recently modified it so sometime use it to go 7 but never take it more than 4 km away from home. bc can commute or go around faster and safer on my cbr650f.

i definitely do not feel safe on a scooter. say it weak brakes, suspension, cheap tires, no power. it is low and traditionally like for all scooters - actually a design fault, front end feels so light and numb. moreover, you look crazy if you wear proper gear like a full face helmet, jacket, boots etc too, especially as a farang so i feel double unsafe with a half face helmet and shoes on them.

for the tight spots between cars and turning radius, if you check where you are going before, you dont get caught in a parallel position and believe me, i never fold my mirrors although commute at hell traffic all those years and managed to pass from many tight spots between cars. yeah sometime it is impossible especially if there is a construction and if they reduced the lanes so two buses on two lanes close all the road but then even scooters wait with me most of the time or you wait a minute more than a scooter rarely but you compensate it fast when the traffic opens a bit with safety, comfort and piece of mind.

it is perfectly doable to ride a big bike in Bangkok traffic still you need a lot of experience on defensive city rides and you need to feel comfy and confident on your bike. if no experience on hell commutes in Asian cities like Bangkok, Mumbai, Delhi, Phnom Penh, Kathmandu, Tehran etc, just do not push yourself much. a 300 series honda is a good bike for getting experience, they are forgiving bikes and they enhance your riding experience more than lets say a liter bike, you learn faster with them.

• Like 2

I have ridden a Suzuki Best 125 (now 11 years old and still going strong....gaffer tape and all) in Bangkok for 7 years now. In the centre I could wish for nothing else, particularly when riding in places like Chinatown and I will avoid being behind anything bigger (i.e. 150+) as I know I will invariably end up waiting when they can't haul it round the front of a car in a tight spot.

However since moving to Chaeng Wattana (my wife's work...not my choice) I find that riding roads like CW or Viphavadhi Rangsit requires every cc I have and isn't that enjoyable. During rush hour it is better as it is mostly riding between cars but once the traffic lightens up it is much harder.

My next bike will probably be a 150 (looking at a Raider...love Suzuki) just to give me that little bit more whilst maintaining that versatility and weight.

new suzuki raider 150 is a cool little bike, king of underbone bikes now:)

especially the cool blue one always catch my eyes in traffic.

actually thinking on selling my wave and getting a raider very recently as seen one for very reasonable price but the i found out that i am emotionally attached to my wave so spent 7500 THB and thinking on on spending a 2500 thb more on it which i will post the result soon.

new suzuki raider 150 is a cool little bike, king of underbone bikes now:)

especially the cool blue one always catch my eyes in traffic.

actually thinking on selling my wave and getting a raider very recently as seen one for very reasonable price but the i found out that i am emotionally attached to my wave so spent 7500 THB and thinking on on spending a 2500 thb more on it which i will post the result soon.

Do you all know the joke about the scooter and the fat girl?