Thai politics: How long will junta administer bitter pill of martial law?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
How long will junta administer bitter pill of martial law?

ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM

BANGKOK: -- THE MAIN reason why the National Council for Peace and Order still retains public support following its seizure of power is because peace has endured since the May 22 coup.

The situation has stayed peaceful since then without noisy protests and political fights in public, unlike the violent situations during the past 10 years that saw serious political conflict leading to fighting and demonstrations every year.

Before the latest coup, the situation seemed to be getting worse. People were fed up of the political conflict. As a result, although many disagreed with the coup, they did not campaign strongly against the NCPO.

The tool that the NCPO has been using effectively to contain political disturbance is martial law. This legal instrument provides sweeping powers to military officers to contain or prevent political moves or campaigns. The military officers also have full authority to restrict freedom of expression or even stop any action deemed as a harbinger of unrest.

This strong medicine has so far been effective in keeping the situation under control, unlike what happened after the 2006 coup. Just three or four months after that coup, signs of violence emerged, including the bomb attacks in Bangkok on New Year's eve. Then red-shirt supporters started to rally from the middle of 2007 until they formed the powerful United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship.

This time, it's eight months since the coup and there has been no sign of violence and the situation remains peaceful.

This kind of situation might mislead many into believing that political conflict has ceased in Thai society. Actually, that is not the case.

Political disharmony still exists - but it is suppressed under the weight of martial law. And it seems the magnitude of the conflict is growing because there is no channel for it to be vented out.

Many believe the potential for conflict still exists and it could even escalate because polarised reactions have emerged immediately after former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was impeached by the National Legislative Assembly. Both sides came out to express their stands, the most fierce since the coup.

The impeachment underlined how polarised these conflicts of political feeling are. One side expressed its joy and ridiculed the other as it protested in anger and cried foul that it had been repeatedly persecuted. The feelings were bitterly vented through various channels because holding of press conferences is not permitted.

Although neither party has emerged to quarrel publicly, nobody knows how long the peaceful situation will continue before both sides shape up to fight. As a result, the NCPO, which needs to win more public support, will continue to use martial law to suppress the expression of conflicting opinions.

The question is how long the NCPO will administer this strong medicine. Will it need to increase the dose because - if martial law remains in force much longer - dissatisfied people will grow more angry and try to vent their frustrations? And if the NCPO has to increase the dose, will the public be happy with this enforcement of martial law?

If public discontent escalates to the point where conflicts that lie under the carpet blow up, will the NCPO be able to control the situation? Will the public still tolerate the NCPO's governance if its main selling point, of maintaining peace, is gone?

It is believed that the NCPO leaders understand these points. But they can only try to maintain the situation as they wait for the next election to be held, or until the NCPO reaches its reform goals.

For now, it seems the NCPO leaders have become addicted to martial law and are unlikely to relax on this measure in the near future.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/How-long-will-junta-administer-bitter-pill-of-mart-30252911.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-29

If this is how much time it takes to lift the martial law, how much time will it take to return to a democracy?

I am pretty sure the army has no intention of leaving anytime soon - they are here to stay.
All this constitution writing is just an act.

Edited by kriswillems

I think martial law and military rule are here to stay. The guy has acquired a family heirloom and he isn't going to give it up. lifting martial law would put this a risk.

I agree with your comment. The last sentence in the OP re-enforces that view.

I find this interesting as I thought the martial had been lifted as all of the illegal beer bars on Asoke to around Sukhumvit are back up and running until, in some cases, till 7am. These drunk, drugged up patrons, both Farang and Thai, bellow out bad music and do motorcyclye racing up and down Asoke all night.

I think martial law and military rule are here to stay. The guy has acquired a family heirloom and he isn't going to give it up. lifting martial law would put this a risk.

In a way... but I think they will work over time to ensure there is only one result in elections. I think there will be 'processes and procedures' and a tight running of an election where Thais get to choose any candidate as long as they are yellow.

Hobson's Choice the same with any new constitution referendum and then they will declare to the world 'Look we did it - we have democracy - Thai style'

It will be a pretense wrapped up in a cloak of obfuscation surrounded by BS

Already come up with excuses to disrespect the next majority I see.

I pity the majority. They have never ever been respected when it did not suit the PTP. And people wonder why they are not popular anymore.

• Like 1

Where is the peace ?
Just because people are shut up at gun point by marshal law, are not allowed an opinion or

express their opinion, are fully controlled by the new cyber security act, fully monitored

in their online activities does NOT mean there is peace !

At the moment Thailand is a fully supressed country in any which way.

"Brave new world" and "1984" at its best !!!

Anybody who thinks that this is something desirable or good should start to think !

A military commander knows how to run an army: shut up and do as I order !
What human being with any sense of self awareness can think that a country

can be run the same way ? [Answer: only fully brainwashed and brain dead robots !]

Right now Thailand is a NWO prototype !

All policies people would never accept in a halfway free society can be implemented

without any resistance ! [Think of Agenda 21 from the UN ... READ it first and understand what it means for all of us !]
No conspiracy theory - official policy of the UN !!!

Maybe Thailand does NOT need a democracy [who needs a tyranny of the majority ?] but at least it would need

leaders that base their actions on reason and wisdom, not on gunpoint violence and order to do mentality !

Think about it ... you can NOT supress a whole population for an extended period of time !

This will end in a desaster !!! [be careful what you wish for ... the military only knows military !]

• Like 1

This strong medicine has so far been effective in keeping the situation under control, unlike what happened after the 2006 coup. Just three or four months after that coup, signs of violence emerged, including the bomb attacks in Bangkok on New Year's eve. Then red-shirt supporters started to rally from the middle of 2007 until they formed the powerful United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship.

That paragraph is the explanation as to why martial law is in force and why it is seen to be needed.

Is it any coincidence that the same group is seen to be the biggest threat to peace and indeed reconciliation ?

• Like 1

As long as there is any hint of that more bitter pill "UDD terrorism" bombing the sweet embrace of the current peace.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Edited by kblaze

I do not really care.... It has had zero affect on any aspect of my life in the past 8 months, and I don't think I know a single person where it has either.

here the same....good time the last 8 month

That paragraph is the explanation as to why martial law is in force and why it is seen to be needed.

Is it any coincidence that the same group is seen to be the biggest threat to peace and indeed reconciliation ?

You mean the same group that won the last 5 elections and been shown to be the will of the majority to rule.. And deposed at gunpoint ??

And they are the threat to reconciliation ??

• Like 1

As long as Thailand cannot be sure that the organized and highly financed criminal gang which call themselves UDD is capable of commiting violence for which they have a substantial history.

May be it would be even better, to lift martial law but strike hard and destroy them if they rise their ugly head again.

But anyway who suffers any negative effects of the martial law - except those who make it necessary?

"But anyway who suffers any negative effects of the martial law - except those who make it necessary?"

You mean the people who want a return to democracy? Martial law, censorship and banning political gatherings are certainly making democrats suffer.

"Political disharmony still exists - but it is suppressed under the weight of martial law. And it seems the magnitude of the conflict is growing because there is no channel for it to be vented out."

---No shit, Sherlock Holmes. (TVF junta pom pom girl posters seem oblivious to this fact, or are 'humanely' indifferent to conflict).

"If public discontent escalates to the point where conflicts that lie under the carpet blow up, will the NCPO be able to control the situation?"

---Sadly, no.

"The impeachment underlined how polarised these conflicts of political feeling are."

---Yes, reconciliation was flushed down the toilet in the name of political expediency.

"The feelings were bitterly vented through various channels because holding of press conferences is not permitted."

---And making all pay-as-you go cell phone sim chip holders register with ID will NEVER reduce that...knuckleheads.

"It is believed that the NCPO leaders understand these points".

---It is also believed that pigs fly over a moon made of cheese.

"For now, it seems the NCPO leaders have become addicted to martial law".

---This is good news. I thought they were crazy, but it turns out they are only sick. What a relief. facepalm.gif

Edited by FangFerang

As long as Thailand cannot be sure that the organized and highly financed criminal gang which call themselves UDD is capable of commiting violence for which they have a substantial history.

May be it would be even better, to lift martial law but strike hard and destroy them if they rise their ugly head again.

But anyway who suffers any negative effects of the martial law - except those who make it necessary?

"But anyway who suffers any negative effects of the martial law - except those who make it necessary?"

You mean the people who want a return to democracy? Martial law, censorship and banning political gatherings are certainly making democrats suffer.

return to what? democracy?

You talk about kleptocracy, right?

In a way... but I think they will work over time to ensure there is only one result in elections. I think there will be 'processes and procedures' and a tight running of an election where Thais get to choose any candidate as long as they are yellow.

Hobson's Choice the same with any new constitution referendum and then they will declare to the world 'Look we did it - we have democracy - Thai style'

It will be a pretense wrapped up in a cloak of obfuscation surrounded by BS

And do you believe the previous elections were fair? You seem to insinuate that Thai elections in the past were fair. In my Red village here in Issan, if my family didn't vote red, then they were in a lot of trouble. Do you consider this democratic? The gov't is trying to get rid of all this BS red democracy now. After this old criminal and inept gov't is completely removed, then I don't think they will care about who you vote for. Anyone but red. Thais have learned their lesson and never want to face this scum PT type government again. It's a bitter pill that is needed to facilitate this much need change.