Thai poll: Martial law vital to maintaining peace and order

webfact

I made the below comment in Bangkok Post but they never posted it:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t we heard more than one Thai politician saying that the people are too stupid to vote. Citizen too stupid too vote would have been a national emergency in most other countries.

Now we expect the very same (too stupid) people to have an opinion about other countries understanding of Thai politics

Martial law always sounds bad to outsiders but it hasn't actually affected my life personally any way. And for those people who post here crying about liberalism blah blah blah and all that, has it affected YOUR life?

I like the fact that we don't have idiots on both sides, yellow or red out there right now protesting and fighting each other because the army won't let them.

Martial law sounds bad to outsiders ?

People who post for liberalism are crying bla bla bla ?

It hasn't your personal life ?

Howe simpel and selfish can you bee. You promote Thailand to stay a third world country.

Get some education.

• Like 1

They will not give up Martial law as they know given the freedom to express their view there would be a lot of Thai protesting the junta so they say shut up don't critisize or we will show you the error of your ways---- re-education/reconciliation center even for college kids giving 3 fingered salute.

The junta should have done what they said they were going to do when they first took over---"We are instituting Martial Law" --to control protests and open up the roads to travel, ect. But no right after they had the martial law they held a coup and are the only law in the land

I made the below comment in Bangkok Post but they never posted it:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t we heard more than one Thai politician saying that the people are too stupid to vote. Citizen too stupid too vote would have been a national emergency in most other countries.
Now we expect the very same (too stupid) people to have an opinion about other countries understanding of Thai politics

You can often see in the Bk Post that for most articles these days the +/- rating is anti Junta but the comments posted are mostly pro. Its ridiculous but that's how it is these days...

Self censorship, moderator bias etc we will never know.

strangely enough when the polls state something the ptp/red/thaksin apologists agree with they tell us all that that is democracy at work, when they tell us something they disagree with they tell us it is rigged and all bullsh*t, strange hey. Doesnt matter what the people want or say, again if it isnt their way the people are stupid and uneducated, seems they want their cake and eat it too, thats why the ptp are no longer relevant. The people know the red terrorists would start killing again in an instant if the army let them, as long as the army is ready to kick their ar*e they are to cowardly to do a thing, they operate best when they do it incognito when they can kill women and kids that dont shoot back or defend themselves

Bangkok is now much safer then many city's in the USA, so Obama that's what you have to focus at.

Before the Junta came we had shootings and bombings on daily basis, roads were blocked all over the city and corruption was widely availlable.

Now i have hope of a better country, not with any policital party in control.

• Like 1

Bangkok is now much safer then many city's in the USA, so Obama that's what you have to focus at.

Before the Junta came we had shootings and bombings on daily basis, roads were blocked all over the city and corruption was widely availlable.

...And I'll wager Bangkok is more dangerous than other cities in the US, so where does that leave us?

• Like 2

having traveled a fair bit since the coup I am yet to see soldiers policing the streets, in fact the coup has had bugger all effect on us and our family(both here, in Bangkok and in a few other areas. I really have to wonder how in the hell it is effecting the rest of the members in here claiming it is killing everything. The tourists we have spoken too said they feel safer now after all the crap the reds pulled along with the yellows, their biggest complaints is the thai rip offs and the deaths, seems a lot of people are starting to take in that there is a lot of corruption in tourist areas in Thailand along with rapes, assaults and deaths. They are more worried about this aspect which is starting to be culled, it ran rampant under yl and the ptp but I guess the apologists have to find fault with everything now seeing they have been having their ptp/red butts kicked by the courts.

great, a poll that measures Thai Nationalism

The real poll of Thai nationalism is the unsolicited poll of like and dislike. This same article garnered four times the dislike in a major English newspaper. That's how the citizens felt about the poll.

There were shootings and bombings on a daily basis because the military is not doing their job under emergency decree. Worse, some of them were involved in the mayhem.

I am confused about what exactly is Thailand's image these days.

Sand

Sea

Sex

Coups

Military Control

Martial law

So having marital law is supposedly the lessor of two evils versus protest? Well, they should have bothered to have a legal system that taught all sides that civil peaceful protest is permitted but that prolonged non peaceful protest isn't. They have made a rod for their own back here and it is waiting to whack them very painfully when they finally remove martial law.

Martial law always sounds bad to outsiders but it hasn't actually affected my life personally any way. And for those people who post here crying about liberalism blah blah blah and all that, has it affected YOUR life?

I like the fact that we don't have idiots on both sides, yellow or red out there right now protesting and fighting each other because the army won't let them.

Howe simpel and selfish can you bee. You promote Thailand to stay a third world country.

Get some education.

Do you actually stay here or are you posting from overseas? Educate YOURSELF. Thailand IS a third world country and if some liberties have to be given for peace, why not?

Were you here during the protests where gunfights took place and bombs went off? Not just the one last year before the coup mind you, but also the 2009-2010 ones, Right now, the country is at peace and it will stay that way.

Get some education.

Get some education.

Oh, so in your educated (?) mind you believe that martial law and military rule is just going to lift Thailand right into a mainstream developed country status. Keep on dreaming!

?????????????????????

That would be against the law, which says it all..

Makes more fun to be a smart ass... then to be an "ass licker".. who ever may feel concerned

Martial law Limits the rights of People to speak free, look TV free, Vote free, handle free, and.. much more..

also because some "ass lickers" spy around to report "smartass" people to get punished only because of different thinking and talking..

Awww that's so pathetic. Someone has different thinking as you and he's an 'ass licker'? Who's ass is supposedly being licked?

Spy? Oh dear! More boogeyman out there from conspiracy theorists! The ammarts are out to get you! cheesy.gif

Get some education.

Oh, so in your educated (?) mind you believe that martial law and military rule is just going to lift Thailand right into a mainstream developed country status. Keep on dreaming!

?????????????????????

Martial law won't last foreve but while this country is still under martial law, this military government can cut through the usual political BS and clean house.

I don't understand why Farang don't get it.

The situation in Thailand in nor normal. Most Thai wants to martial law to be in place as long as possible, because they feel safe. Else, Red Thai people killing Yellow Thai people almost everyday.

"83 percent of the respondents said the international community had yet to have a clear understanding of the country’s political situation. Nearly 75 percent said the US only expressed her concerns for the country’s economic problem. About 70 percent said the US’ remark reflected the image of Thailand in the world arena."

"79.65% of respondents said martial law tarnished the country’s image and 79.65% said it scared away tourists, investors."

whistling.gif

And I don't understand why most Thai use the term farang when they should use foreigner or proper Thai: kon dtaang Chaat.

87.37% of all statistics are made up. Fact....

The situation in Thailand in nor normal. Most Thai wants to martial law to be in place as long as possible, because they feel safe. Else, Red Thai people killing Yellow Thai people almost everyday.

"83 percent of the respondents said the international community had yet to have a clear understanding of the country’s political situation. Nearly 75 percent said the US only expressed her concerns for the country’s economic problem. About 70 percent said the US’ remark reflected the image of Thailand in the world arena."

"79.65% of respondents said martial law tarnished the country’s image and 79.65% said it scared away tourists, investors."

whistling.gif

And I don't understand why most Thai use the term farang when they should use foreigner or proper Thai: kon dtaang Chaat.

I guess the irony of the post back to chotthee (from the same "poll") went way over your head.

laugh.png

Why the ellipsis?

• Like 1

Martial law always sounds bad to outsiders but it hasn't actually affected my life personally any way.

That's alright, then. Clearly no cause for concern here.

Instead of being a smartass and dishonestly editing and answering only one part of my post, why don't you answer the question I asked and tell us how martial law here has affected YOU directly? clap2.gif

Because it's a fatuous question.Nobody is interested in whether martial law affects you.

Personally, I see stability where there use to be controlled chaos (for those controlling and pulling the strings, life was good).

Things take time here. They'll eventually go back to a 'democratic' model, but it will probably have many of the same shortcomings as the past systems. And then, eventually, you're back to square one...and the military takes over again. Anyway, the word "democracy" is just a buzz word. The only true "Democracy" is in Switzerland. And no country really wants to adopt the Swiss Direct Democracy model, because then all the 'little people' actually have the power to dictate the direction of government policy. That ain't gonna be allowed to happen -- anywhere -- but Switzerland! And even with Direct Democracy, if you throw enough money into mass media bombardment of the muppets, you can still sway the outcome of any election. lmao

post-87058-0-91321000-1422544791_thumb.p

Edited by connda

whistling.gif

I guess the irony of the post back to chotthee (from the same "poll") went way over your head.

laugh.png

Why the ellipsis?

post-170572-0-26346800-1422546128_thumb. lol, sorry!

• Like 2

So long as martial law is in place, I don't see the US military allowing any of its servicemen shore leave in Thailand in connection with Cobra Gold military exercises this year. Under martial law the Junta has the right to arrest anyone with military forces and try them by a military court. I can't see the US government putting its soldiers in harm's way in that matter.

Martial law always sounds bad to outsiders but it hasn't actually affected my life personally any way.

Instead of being a smartass and dishonestly editing and answering only one part of my post, why don't you answer the question I asked and tell us how martial law here has affected YOU directly?

That would be against the law, which says it all..

Those who would give up personal freedoms for security will have neither. Ben Franklin said that.

I would rather be free than to live on my knees. Charlie said that.

Freedom! Braveheart said that.

These communists aren't so bad. Jane Fonda said that.

Instead of being a smartass and dishonestly editing and answering only one part of my post, why don't you answer the question I asked and tell us how martial law here has affected YOU directly? clap2.gif

Because it's a fatuous question.Nobody is interested in whether martial law affects you.

Which is why I asked how it was affecting others as well. Duhhhhh laugh.png

I wonder if most poster here are just riding on a trend to criticize Thailand's method of solving it's own internal problem. I think it's valid that martial law has no major affect on most expats or tourist. I still see people at all the usual hangouts. Expats and tourist still are able to voice their concern about Police harassment and are not in trouble for it. We hear complaints about taxis problems and actually being dealt with. Top officials are being dealt with and members connected to the royal family has also been dealt with. Sure there is a lot to do, but at least the ball has started to roll. To me martial law has not affected much of anyone's lives. The only ones that it has affect are all the politicians. Who has always profited from the people with their criminal actions.

Everyone here all agree that corruption is embedded in the Thai culture, but when someone tries to do something about it, then they get criticized. Remember corruption are able to happen because the ones making all the loop holes for corruption are...guess who?.....all the lawmaker aka: politicians. So that is the root of all problem.

Why do you think everyone always has a hard time doing anything with the government. All the documents you have to print out or fill out with multiple copies. Maybe Thailand is able to produce paper cheaply.. All the visits you have make on a quarterly basis. All these seemingly over excessive procedures are justified by the lawmaker, but actually is exploited by the government officials so that they can give people a helping hand to speed things up. Basically, laws and procedures in Thailand are designed to make it hard to do anything without the magical assistance of the officials...hence bribes and payoff for favors. I am sure some of it happens in US and other democratic societies as well. But in Thailand they just apply it to everything.

• Like 1

Chotthee, I do not believe you at all.

I think you are a yellowshirt informer.

You probably have a government job.

You probably wentwith the other yellows to block the airport.

I live in the northeast,

During the redshirt demonstration in Bangkok, people in our village collected money to help them.

many got into pickup trucks to go the bangkok to support them, but were turned back by the army.

If the army had not done that, there would have been MILIONS of redshirts in Bangkok.

But the most important sign that PTP are popular was the thousands of red flags out the front of the houses in every village and town I drove through during that time.

In the North and Northeast over the month I saw red flags displayed out the front of all the houses on the main roads.

You are probably from Bangkok, you don't even know your own countrymen.

you live in a bubble called Bangkok.