Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

I have found that I can and do live cheaper in the UK overall compared to Thailand. But that is because when I am in Thailand I am basically running two households with two sets of bills.

After being in Thailand for about 7 years and taking in what that entails and I was given an ultimatum either Thailand or the UK. I would choose the UK.

Not such a long time ago when I was still wearing my rose tinted spectacles, Thailand was the only place I really wanted to be. Hence getting a retirement visa. Circumstances dictated a need to be back in the UK for 9 months last year. It was then I realised what I was missing.

Luckily for me I have friends in both countries. That does help. If I was alone and friendless here in the UK, I might not think about this country in the same way. The same goes for Thailand. Friendless would be very boring.

Where the women are concerned I have no problem being without one - as I was for the 9 months here, out of choice.

In Thailand, the women tend to get under my skin with their attitudes of wanting everything they can get or persuade me to give them. I did not miss that at all when I left. And sex is not everything. Village / small town life can also drive you somewhat crazy when there are very few people to speak to in your native language.

In many ways Thailand is a wonderful place but that is starting to wear a bit thin. Military governments, corruption, cost of living (apart from accommodation) amongst other things.

I'd never bring a Thai back to my home country to live after seeing what has happened to others in my community who did the same.

I cannot say the same about the Filipino lady I am current in a relationship with. That would take time to understand.

If the OP feels he is better in Canada with everything (most things) apart from being interactive with the females, consider it long and hard as it might be the best thing you have done in a long time. With regards to the lady in your life, I'd give her a chance in Canada. If it does not work out at least you tried.

I am certainly seriously considering bringing my current lady here to the UK or to Europe on the same basis. I'd be a fool not to IMHO.

If the situation changes, OP, you can always re-start again. Especially as life is never stagnant unless we make it so.

Brilliant summary of the issues around having/not having Friends, and of the problems with the demanding attitude of many Thai females, and of the changes in Thailand with the collapse of anything like normal democracy. In my years going back and forth i've known countless guys who were itching to get back to LoS after only a few weeks back in the UK - they don't seem to realise that they've gone back to an empty life which would need populating again with friends and social activities, so of course life in LoS calls them back before they;ve hardly unpacked in the UK. (or other home country). As for Thai females making it in the UK or not - i know some who are highly integrated and never want to leave the UK - if they can find a circle of Thai women not to far away to chat with and a well-paid job or business then it can work - but not often i agree with that. I also think that a high level of English language helps enormously - when my That lady was over in October for three weeks she charmed all my friends by being able to join in easily with dinner-table conversations etc - but she is a very good teacher of English in LoS with a BA and MA - so not really your typical girl. As for the main question - not being able to live in Thailand due to the cost of living - i just can't get my head round that - of course, having £££££s to exchange at approx 50 baht to the Pound is crucial here - but for me the sheer cheapness of good rented accommodation is at the heart of it - we rent a concrete 2-bed house with air-con, garage, little garden at the front - in a big town not in the wilds - for 6,200 baht a month and it's not gone up since 2010 - that's anything from a Quarter to an Eighth of the rent for an equivalent house in the UK depending on the area. For me, that rent is the economic key to being able to live in LoS on a modest pension with a partner who works.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many posters suggesting the West is cheaper than Thailand are/were living in Bangkok or big tourist cities and living a western lifestyle.

You can't compare the expenses of living in Bkk with Yuma, Arizona or Biggar, Saskatchewan and then say US or Canada are cheaper.

I moved from Vancouver, Canada's most expensive city, to Chiang Rai.

I live on a quarter of what I spent in Canada and I now live in a nice 2 bedroom townhouse instead of a basement suite.

Thailand is best enjoyed by living a western oriented lifestyle. Dine at nice places, live in serviced condos, drive nice cars, enjoy the fabulous weather all year etc

Why not just live in the west?

As I said in my previous post.

Money money money.

What do we spend the most on? What makes up the most of our budget usually? Accomodation.

Its dirt cheap here.

There is a good renters market in Bangkok, the price of condos arent that cheap, but rents are relatively cheap.

Labour costs are very cheap as well.

I dont understand why people complain about the living costs here, heck even the taxis are cheap eventhough most dont use the meter. I paid 1300thb to go to pattaya recently, its a 2 hour drive, and the poor lad has to drive back 2 hours as well, gave him 1500thb.

Thailand is a lifehack guys, and you all know it. On paper its a 3rd world country, but lets take the poverty rate in the London, its about %18-20

Whats the poverty rate in Bangkok, its less than 1%.

This is actually a very rich country.

I think Thai people are better off compared to the folks in the west. I've been in Philippines as well, every single girl I met there was looking for their way out of the country , there is real poverty there. But in Thailand I've yet to meet a girl or a guy that desperately wants to leave Thailand, yeah sure they wanna visit Europe etc but for vacation only.

Live in Canada and find a Canadian GF/wife?

Possible, but it would be an ass thing to do.

The bigger issue is that I have nothing in common with a typical Canadian woman.

Not judging, but it is what it is.

Understand. Most "normal" Thai girls would much prefer to live in Thailand. It's the screwed up ones from dysfunctional families that want to leave. So at least you have a normal one--that's good. Tough situation. If she's making a decent salary, the two of you should be able to make a go of it in Thailand, even if your job doesn't pay all that well. Unless you have some great career prospects in Canada. I've always felt that working/slaving away in the west and retiring in Thailand was the way to go. But hey, you would know best your own circumstances.

First of all, things will start getting more expensive in Canada if the exchange rate stays around 1.25 to 1 USD. So at the moment, the THB is a good currency to earn.

Secondly, I find my wife loves living in Canada as long as she gets to fly home to Thailabd every few weeks. With 6-8 trips a year I have it covered. Works for now, later will see. It's been nearly 10 years of this commuting lifestyle and I haven't grown tired of it yet.

Thirdly, don't you work in Thailand also? Wages in Canada aren't that grewt. Rents are high and you have to pay for heating (no such thing as fan only in winter).

Take your State tax and Federal tax out and you have nothing left. If you can afford your g/f - wife to return to Thailand every few weeks then it shouldnt be a problem living in Thailand

Provincial and federal tax aren't as bad as property tax. I pay almost $10k per year in property tax on my condo in Canada which cost $450k less than ten years ago. Plus condo fees of another 15k per year plus special assessment on the condo of another $800 a month. Haven't leased a car, heated the place, turned on the lights and its already &3k a month. In Bangkok: no property tax (yet), low cost of maintenance and condo fees. Investments in real estate over here return 6-12 percent p.a. Which is completely unachievabe in Canada.

That said I don't want to be stuck here on a 365 day basis. If I d don't already fly back and forth every month I would do it at least three or four times a year anyways.

Everyone has different criteria. But living on 30,000 baht would put you below the poverty line anywhere in the West. In Thailand it lets you enjoy life. (I think. Never tried to live on 30k per month but it seems doable)

If his girl friend has to return to Thailand every few weeks it doesnt seem like she loves living in Canada. It seems she considers it more of a holiday (living in Canada that is) than "actually" living in Canada.

The bigger issue is that I have nothing in common with a typical Canadian woman.

Understand. Most "normal" Thai girls would much prefer to live in Thailand. It's the screwed up ones from dysfunctional families that want to leave. So at least you have a normal one--that's good. Tough situation. If she's making a decent salary, the two of you should be able to make a go of it in Thailand, even if your job doesn't pay all that well. Unless you have some great career prospects in Canada. I've always felt that working/slaving away in the west and retiring in Thailand was the way to go. But hey, you would know best your own circumstances.

First of all, things will start getting more expensive in Canada if the exchange rate stays around 1.25 to 1 USD. So at the moment, the THB is a good currency to earn.

Secondly, I find my wife loves living in Canada as long as she gets to fly home to Thailabd every few weeks. With 6-8 trips a year I have it covered. Works for now, later will see. It's been nearly 10 years of this commuting lifestyle and I haven't grown tired of it yet.

Thirdly, don't you work in Thailand also? Wages in Canada aren't that grewt. Rents are high and you have to pay for heating (no such thing as fan only in winter).

Take your State tax and Federal tax out and you have nothing left. If you can afford your g/f - wife to return to Thailand every few weeks then it shouldnt be a problem living in Thailand

Provincial and federal tax aren't as bad as property tax. I pay almost $10k per year in property tax on my condo in Canada which cost $450k less than ten years ago. Plus condo fees of another 15k per year plus special assessment on the condo of another $800 a month. Haven't leased a car, heated the place, turned on the lights and its already &3k a month. In Bangkok: no property tax (yet), low cost of maintenance and condo fees. Investments in real estate over here return 6-12 percent p.a. Which is completely unachievabe in Canada.

That said I don't want to be stuck here on a 365 day basis. If I d don't already fly back and forth every month I would do it at least three or four times a year anyways.

Everyone has different criteria. But living on 30,000 baht would put you below the poverty line anywhere in the West. In Thailand it lets you enjoy life. (I think. Never tried to live on 30k per month but it seems doable)

If his girl friend has to return to Thailand every few weeks it doesnt seem like she loves living in Canada. It seems she considers it more of a holiday (living in Canada that is) than "actually" living in Canada.

We have business and family in both places. It works. But I am pretty sure she wouldn't want to be stuck in Canada full time any more than I want to be stuck in Thailand. Despite the fact that it's difficult to tell which side of the pacific I am more tied into financially. I call it a commute. I think many people have two homes now in different parts of the world.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We have business and family in both places. It works. But I am pretty sure she wouldn't want to be stuck in Canada full time any more than I want to be stuck in Thailand. Despite the fact that it's difficult to tell which side of the pacific I am more tied into financially. I call it a commute. I think many people have two homes now in different parts of the world.

I agree many people do have two homes but they dont usually go back every few weeks. I does seems a little excessive. But you know better than anyone else.

Thailand is a lifehack guys, and you all know it. On paper its a 3rd world country, but lets take the poverty rate in the London, its about %18-20

Whats the poverty rate in Bangkok, its less than 1%.

This is actually a very rich country.

I think Thai people are better off compared to the folks in the west. I've been in Philippines as well, every single girl I met there was looking for their way out of the country , there is real poverty there. But in Thailand I've yet to meet a girl or a guy that desperately wants to leave Thailand, yeah sure they wanna visit Europe etc but for vacation only.

-----------------

Jogging at the beach of Santa Monica, CA, I used to pass long queues of people waiting for their soup. The signature 3rd avenue was occupied by homeless in the early morning showing off unbelievable untreated open wounds on arms, legs and heads.

Where is that kind of misery in Thailand. Did anybody ever starve to death? Should I turn into a bum, I'd rather stay in South East Asia.

Kudos to Canada for free health care. We all know the state of affairs in the States since "Sicko".

Another thought. I lived in different countries and moved on after a while. I would never participate in a forum for expats in such places. What's the point? Why do people continue posting on TV once they have left Thailand? Is their pain caused by substantial loss of "something" so unbearable? Does bashing Thais and "idiots" still living in the LOS help soothing that pain?

------------------

After I met my wife some years ago, I moved into her house way out in the sticks in Changwat Buriram, Isaan. I had just finished a job in Sri Lanka, and was between jobs, but with enough money to stay for a year I took a sabatical to find out if Thailand would be my home base or not ( I worked as a freelancer/ consultant etc for various NGO's and the UN...whomever called my first when the manure hit the fan somewhere in the world).

I had a fantsastic year, and would have stayed, but got seriously ill and could no longer do the work I had done...if I got a set back while in some shit hole in Arfrica f.ex, it would kill me. So that was the end of that. So back to my Country, Norway with Thai wife and two step kids. The wife found work immedately after finishing language school. Much beacuse, and this will surprise some people....the Thais have a very good reputation as hard working people with a high work ethics around here :-)

Now 5 years later...the wife says she refuses to go back for good when we get old, she will only go there for the summer and want to stay in Norway during the winters, as she loves the winter, snow and all :-)

The younger of my step kids has tried his hand at ski jumping, and is now a very talented snow boarder, and will study at a school that caters to winter sports and the outdoors for his High school.

So do not underestimate the Thai on where they will thrive :-)

Edited by Gimbo

A friend of mine took his Thai wife to Canada in 2010 and she's doing just fine. However, popping a cake in her oven after getting there probably helped. She has a kid to dote over and she'll not lonely.

Don't usually feel so strongly about advice given on a Web forum, but follow your heart. Of course have a long, and painfully honest, talk with your lady about what both of you want. Go from there.

I lived single in Thailand for a couple of years after my marriage ended well there, and have now been living just over 2 years in Northern Canada. Found in both countries that if you put yourself out there (Internet dating) there are a huge number of women to meet. Heck I to was smitten by an wonderful thai lady, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a single parent could likely still be living there. Like yourself have returned to Thailand after a break from living there and been shocked at the dirtyness that I overlooked well living close by.

Be sure to ignore the ignorant generalizations about Thailand and thai women posted here, even the ones you find you can relate slightly to are a load of bunk.

Thailand is cheaper than Canada? i really really really doubt that. I'm a Canadian living in Toronto at the moment

- Canada income/sales/property taxes, which are the among the highest in the world

- property price, rental price, again amongst the highest in the world

- Good luck finding a meal below $5...... McDonald, Subway sandwich, $7 at the minimum. Regular meal will set you back $10-$15

- transportation fee, $3 one-way subway/bus ride, taxi $8 starting meter

I can go on and on and on.

Canada is the amongst the most expensive place to live, don't kid yourself....unless you have a good job offer, upward $100K..... think before you move back here

OP, I don't know your age, but don't underestimate the value of your health care as you get older. That one issue can break a lot of guys in LOS.

In Canada you can plan and budget. In Thailand the government is a failure at managing the economy, the value of the baht and inflation. They simply don't have a clue what they are doing to themselves. You can't plan anything to any level, as you are seeing.

In Canada at least you have health care and political stability and a predictable rate of inflation "most of the time."

I moved back to the US after only one year of retirement extension. I've visited many times for several months but I won't move back there. If guys were honest with themselves, Thailand is a dirty, corrupt <deleted> compared to their first world country. For those of us who have money or who come from countries where the cost of living is reasonable (USA) I find it better to visit Thailand about once a year for a few months and then come "home."

Good luck with what you decide.

as they say, grass is greener on the other side....it's always like that....once you settle somewhere, things become routine, routine leads boredom, boredom leads to unhappiness, unhappiness leads to the urge of moving somewhere else

the trick is to never really settle anywhere, stay in one-country for a year, then move on somewhere else, keep it fresh....

Don't usually feel so strongly about advice given on a Web forum, but follow your heart. Of course have a long, and painfully honest, talk with your lady about what both of you want. Go from there.

I lived single in Thailand for a couple of years after my marriage ended well there, and have now been living just over 2 years in Northern Canada. Found in both countries that if you put yourself out there (Internet dating) there are a huge number of women to meet. Heck I to was smitten by an wonderful thai lady, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a single parent could likely still be living there. Like yourself have returned to Thailand after a break from living there and been shocked at the dirtyness that I overlooked well living close by.

Be sure to ignore the ignorant generalizations about Thailand and thai women posted here, even the ones you find you can relate slightly to are a load of bunk.

-----------------

Once the affair with a wonderful Thai lady was over, you noticed that Thailand is a dirty place and Thai girls are a load of bunk. No, we don't do ignorant generalizations. No, we don't give advice on a Web forum. This web site is not for you. Spend more time with Canadian dating sites. That's better for all of us.

You may be surprised at the Cost of Living in Canada when you return.

Here's a nicely colour coded map:

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/cost-of-living-around-world/

Utilities costs in Canada are substantially higher

Not only Gas (heat) & Electric but:

mobile: Truemobile @ BHT199 vs. Fido.ca @ CAD$56

broadband: 3BB @ BHT580 vs. Telus.ca @ CAD$63

Remember that you will need 4 seasons of clothing in Canada.

How many pairs of shoes do you need in Thailand?

Then there is the much vaunted Canadian Health Care system.

Which is great - until you need to use it.

Full checkup (full blood tests, EKG, XRAY, etc. etc), including extra consult with cardiologist/more blood work/2nd cardiologist consult was done in an afternoon in Chiang Mai. Without an appointment.

If you could get the same thing done in Canada (which you can't, until you have a problem) the appointments alone would stretch over several weeks.

Plus the driving time to and from each one.

My personal transportation costs (not including the cost of buying vehicles) went up 10x when we moved back to Canada.

Trying comparing the cost of flying Air Canada domestically to Thailand. You might not be traveling much.

Canada is a wonderful country, and there are lots of good reasons to live there, but a lower Cost of Living is not one of them.

Uh...you compared 10MBPS 3BB to 100 (One hundred) Mbps with Telus. 15Mbps with Telus is $30CAD

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/?INTCMP=LNK_frmTile_bottom_all_toInternet

When I first came to live in Thailand around 2000 it was very cheap compared to Australia. Over the years utilities in Australia have gone sky high compared to Thailand but so long as you own your own home it's still manageable. Food in the supermarket overall is about the same for me but going out for meals is very cheap in Thailand if you like street food which I still do. Quality wise life in Australia is better imo, safer, cleaner, corruption is rarer, plus you have recourse to a legal system you can still have some confidence in. I'm fortunate to be able to live in either place whatever the exchange rate, but having spent a lot of time in Australia recently it is making me reconsider where I want to live. Maybe I will be making my own attitude adjustment sometime soon... unsure.png

Can I suggest that anyone living in Thailand at the moment and are in any other currency than the US dollar should understand two things about the current situation.

The ONLY currency to be in at the moment is the US dollar and this is due to the ending of QE by the Fed so all that hot money that has been sloshing around across the world over the last 6 years is about to head home. The next conditional event is when the Fed starts to raise interest rates when the current trickle will become a flood (given the state of the rest of the global economy). Every other major currency unit is depreciating against the dollar.

This brings me to the Thai Baht. The only reason why the Baht has been rising is because the Thai central bank maintains a floating peg to the US dollar. Whether it will be able to keep that policy going when the next major adjustment comes is debatable.

As a Brit I have seen the Baht go from 68 to the pound down to 44 over the last four years and it is currently trading in a range around 49 to 50. I am now living back in the UK, in part because the cost of living in Thailand was worsened by the depreciation of the pound sterling. I am sure that there will be long term residents who will have their currency exposure hedged but for those who are exposed to any of the major currencies then please watch out.

There is more pain to come. I would expect Sterling to come down to c44 to 45 again in the next few months.

Edited by krismagi

Canada has one thing Thailand doesn't

BLOODY COLD MATE

You can have it

oh my god, u so right,

I've had it with the winter in this country. last 2 winters have been the worst. As I'm typing right now, I'm freezing my ass off in Starbucks. we've been having colder than -10C days stretch for like 4-5 weeks now, so goddamn tired of it.....

You may be surprised at the Cost of Living in Canada when you return.

Here's a nicely colour coded map:

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/cost-of-living-around-world/

Utilities costs in Canada are substantially higher

Not only Gas (heat) & Electric but:

mobile: Truemobile @ BHT199 vs. Fido.ca @ CAD$56

broadband: 3BB @ BHT580 vs. Telus.ca @ CAD$63

Remember that you will need 4 seasons of clothing in Canada.

How many pairs of shoes do you need in Thailand?

Then there is the much vaunted Canadian Health Care system.

Which is great - until you need to use it.

Full checkup (full blood tests, EKG, XRAY, etc. etc), including extra consult with cardiologist/more blood work/2nd cardiologist consult was done in an afternoon in Chiang Mai. Without an appointment.

If you could get the same thing done in Canada (which you can't, until you have a problem) the appointments alone would stretch over several weeks.

Plus the driving time to and from each one.

My personal transportation costs (not including the cost of buying vehicles) went up 10x when we moved back to Canada.

Trying comparing the cost of flying Air Canada domestically to Thailand. You might not be traveling much.

Canada is a wonderful country, and there are lots of good reasons to live there, but a lower Cost of Living is not one of them.

Uh...you compared 10MBPS 3BB to 100 (One hundred) Mbps with Telus. 15Mbps with Telus is $30CAD

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/?INTCMP=LNK_frmTile_bottom_all_toInternet

You guys are confusing me. There are 8 bits in a byte, We used to get internet measured in bits when it was slow. (Dial up might be 56Mbps if we were lucky and the phone lines weren't busy.)

10MBps = 10 megabytes ps. 10mbps = 1/8 10MBps or 10 megabits ps. Note the capital "B" in bytes and the small "b" in bits.

Someone mentioned how surprised I'd be about prices when I go back to Canada. Well...I am back in Canada. I own a small condo in downtown Toronto (mortgaged) but because I have a renter there I'm staying in my mom's place in Hamilton. Now here is the thing......

Even in a dump like Hamilton, there are some really nice supermarkets with the choice of food and prices that are light years ahead of anything offered in bangkok. You have to remember that Canada is about 15-20% more expensive when it comes to groceries yet I find it cheaper than Thailand. I don't drink so I can't compare the prices of booze.

Apartments in Hamilton are old. War era buildings converted to condos and can be had relatively cheap. 100k can get you a 2 bedroom, but the thing is once you renovate it it will be of better quality than anything that's being built in Thailand especially condos which sell for 6 million baht minimum and look like ghetto in 10 years.

After staying in Canada for 10 years my gf would be eligible for pension even if she didn't work at all. If we buy something cheap and both of us work minimum wage we would be taken care in old age even if we didn't save a penny. Combine that with free healthcare and cheap meds for seniors this looks like a no brainer.

Right now we both earn a decent income. Not great but it's 100k a month combined. I live in her townhouse that she fully paid off and can afford to stay in nice hotel every weekend. It's just that this might not last and I am truly concerned about living in Thailand in old age. I have asthma and high blood pressure. One heart attack and it could leave me bankrupt.

after 10 years she would get a FRACTION of the OAS

I'm also blown away by how cheap the US is.

In my neck of the woods (Edinburgh) it's very expensive to live.

Sharing a flat in the city with 2-3 other people would still probably cost $500 per month (excluding bills) if you lived anywhere where the police will go.

Outside the city in a small town my dad rents a small house for over $1000 per month. Crazy.

Interesting. I've been back in my home country(US) for a while and doing some comparisons. I think most consumer prices are similar. Maybe a hair bit cheaper in the US due to WalMart. Only thing that in cheap in Thailand is the LOW monthly rent for studio apartments and the cheap restaurants. In the US I can't find any apartment for less than about $300 a month(10,000 baht) anywhere. But I can find good studio apartments for less than $150 a month in Thai. You can even find rooms for $50 a month in Thai still. So for me, Thai is still a bargain in the accomodation department. It's actually much for affordable to live in Thai for me. I've been priced out of my own country.

You should count yourself lucky. In the UK, you will not get a one bedroom apartment for less that $750 a month. For Brits Thailand is very cheap.

Beg to differ.. I rent (for my mum) a beautiful little 2 bed cottage.. A river edging the back garden, in a small town minutes from the beach.. For 650..

For the lifestyle I live (lots of toys, multiple cars, many bikes, lots of imported goods) life would be cheaper in the UK.

But its cold and grey.. So screw that...

OP, I don't know your age, but don't underestimate the value of your health care as you get older. That one issue can break a lot of guys in LOS.

In Canada you can plan and budget. In Thailand the government is a failure at managing the economy, the value of the baht and inflation. They simply don't have a clue what they are doing to themselves. You can't plan anything to any level, as you are seeing.

In Canada at least you have health care and political stability and a predictable rate of inflation "most of the time."

I moved back to the US after only one year of retirement extension. I've visited many times for several months but I won't move back there. If guys were honest with themselves, Thailand is a dirty, corrupt <deleted> compared to their first world country. For those of us who have money or who come from countries where the cost of living is reasonable (USA) I find it better to visit Thailand about once a year for a few months and then come "home."

Good luck with what you decide.

as they say, grass is greener on the other side....it's always like that....once you settle somewhere, things become routine, routine leads boredom, boredom leads to unhappiness, unhappiness leads to the urge of moving somewhere else

the trick is to never really settle anywhere, stay in one-country for a year, then move on somewhere else, keep it fresh....

routine can lead to boredom, that is true. the trick is, not let routine get into your life. make every day different. travel a lot, that must not be expensive,

a 4 hour train-ride from pattaya -bkk is just 1 dollar, you can walk the 2 hours to the station. if you take some streets, where you never have been, this alone is a new adventure.

train bkk- ayuttaja is very cheap, guesthouses there also.

find new challenges, like living 1 full week with just 1000 baht (30us-dollar) , i did it several times, chickenburger in 7-11 (20 baht), good mama noodle soup (6 baht,in my room) patthai in street-restaurant (40), kebab from a food stall (50), a big bottle rice-wine(around 30), an extensive eat-all-you-can buffet for 150, (lek o apex hotel).free newspapers in many hotels. soibuakao, big chang 55, trip to ko lahn island 2x 30, .

living some time this way saves you money for other trips- wonderful ko kut island, sihanukville islands, angkor, laos (south laos via ubon by bus, 4000islands, a wonderful place), myanmar with air asia, or the new border phu nam ron in kanchanaburi, , krabi, ...