Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you move to Thailand if you wanted to eat Western food?

I've never understood these people who move somewhere this far away from home, try to recreate their old lifestyle, then complain it's expensive to do so.

Mainly because I hate the Belgian weather, see this month of April rain and cold (les than 20C is cold)

Money isn't an issue. Recreate old lifestyle?

I've got to agree with Tarty, weather is my biggest lifestyle influence too.

With more minor considerations being food, booze and women.

TV, movies, books and internet are available online anywhere in the world.

outside: cold weather you can wear coats, hot weather you cant do anything

inside: break even, ac in hot weather, heaters for cold

I pretty much agree with you, but it was the endless grey days and very rare good summers (that were always v short even when good), that 'got' to me weather-wise.

Sunny days are just more pleasant - although nowadays in Thailand, I love the rare cloudy days as it will be cooler biggrin.png !

Cycled 70Km on Monday it was 40c most of the time. The only thing that matters is a dry road.

Don't get the chance to cycle much in the UK, too cold, wet and slippery.

Heavy coat gets in the way, and doesn't keep you dry when it's raining.

Spain and France is pretty good though, might cycle from London to Madrid next month.

Edited by BritManToo

Cycled 70Km on Monday it was 40c most of the time. The only thing that matters is a dry road.

Spain and France is pretty good though, might cycle from London to Madrid next month.

My brother used to live here and also said that the heat didn't get to you when cycling. Mind you, he left a couple of years later because he and his wife found it impossible to enjoy their energetic lives in such a hot country....

There were other reasons given too, but the main reason was finding it unpleasant to do anything energetic in such a hot country.

I used to cycle to work back in the UK (3.5 miles each way) and yes, the wind/rain made it unpleasant more often than not. Before you ask, I cycled 'cos the traffic was bad on the small roads/cycling took about the same time as driving a car/I'm a v bad car driver.

I was hit by a couple of other drivers (one an ambulance!), but never seriously hurt. The (v rare) snow was off-putting until I realised that it would provide a cushion. The one time I was put off by the snow I was stuck in a taxi for 2.5 bloody hours on a journey that normally took me 30 minutes

I used to cycle to work back in the UK (3.5 miles each way) and yes, the wind/rain made it unpleasant more often than not. Before you ask, I cycled 'cos the traffic was bad on the small roads/cycling took about the same time as driving a car/I'm a v bad car driver.

I was hit by a couple of other drivers (one an ambulance!), but never seriously hurt. The (v rare) snow was off-putting until I realised that it would provide a cushion. The one time I was put off by the snow I was stuck in a taxi for 2.5 bloody hours on a journey that normally took me 30 minutes

My post cut off abruptly because my keyboard suddenly turned to Thai text, necessitating turning the laptop on and off again.

My final sentance would have been that I wouldn't dream of riding a bicycle here - far too hot.

I looked at going back to US, we are staying. Mostly this is me being old and she nearly 40 herself, I don't see huge oppty gor jobs. On the contrary.

IMO rent, utilities, need for car, insurance all nails in the coffin.

I understand when guys complain about their grubbing 'girlfriends', Id survived many years in the bar scene.

I think what's mussed though is there are tons of great women here and many would not at all mind marrying a western guy that is active, relatively attractive and somewhat has his act together. My wife is totally cool. She has never disappointed me in the six years I've known her. She is an absolutely lovely human being.

I miss sharing cultural jokes but my wife has so much more about her I could never find in an American woman. She lovesand lives to travel, just like me. Western women like holidays, they teach overseas a year - but they cant live out of a bag. Further, women that love camping my age, non existant.)

I would like to speak of your above sweeping generalisation. Doubt you know many, if any, western woman teachers. The many I know love to travel, hence living and working abroad and can live out of a bag just as easily as you and your beloved could. Please, stop speaking for the abilities/disabilities of WW. How do I know? I am a western woman that has lived here for 8 years. Luckily,my work affords me many holidays. Along with other WW and some Thai friends we travel extensively and camping is a must for us. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, my previous job was with the National Park Service, I lived in a tent most of the summers working with a crew of Biologists, living out of a bag. I write this as I make my way back to Sin City / Pattaya after two weeks of camping on the islands of the Southern Andaman with other WW and Thai girls.

I looked at going back to US, we are staying. Mostly this is me being old and she nearly 40 herself, I don't see huge oppty gor jobs. On the contrary.

I understand when guys complain about their grubbing 'girlfriends', Id survived many years in the bar scene.

I think what's mussed though is there are tons of great women here and many would not at all mind marrying a western guy that is active, relatively attractive and somewhat has his act together. My wife is totally cool. She has never disappointed me in the six years I've known her. She is an absolutely lovely human being.

I miss sharing cultural jokes but my wife has so much more about her I could never find in an American woman. She lovesand lives to travel, just like me. Western women like holidays, they teach overseas a year - but they cant live out of a bag. Further, women that love camping my age, non existant.)

I would like to speak of your above sweeping generalisation. Doubt you know many, if any, western woman teachers. The many I know love to travel, hence living and working abroad and can live out of a bag just as easily as you and your beloved could. Please, stop speaking for the abilities/disabilities of WW. How do I know? I am a western woman that has lived here for 8 years. Luckily,my work affords me many holidays. Along with other WW and some Thai friends we travel extensively and camping is a must for us. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, my previous job was with the National Park Service, I lived in a tent most of the summers working with a crew of Biologists, living out of a bag. I write this as I make my way back to Sin City / Pattaya after two weeks of camping on the islands of the Southern Andaman with other WW and Thai girls.

thread was about being able to afford living in thailand, not your wife

So we call females from the west "women" but we refer to Thai females as "girls".

Telling...

Really?? Your going to be that petty? I meant no disrespect whatsoever and perhaps I should be more careful as not to offend anyone when posting. I offer my most sincere apologies to any Thai women that may have been offended by the above mentioned post.

Edited by squatncrunch

Live in Canada and find a Canadian GF/wife?

Rediculous and impossible. After any Thai wife or girlfriend nearly impossible to find a Canadian women that does ow ji geng. They become very boring. There is nothing a Canadian woman has to offer (unless she has a lot of money & a heart condition).
bit late to the party with this comment but I really like Canadian women . They are fun to be around and not snobbish . I go up there often (bc) yes it can be a little overpriced for things , well that's what pays for the 'free' healthcare right ? But it's a great place it's clean it's healthy and the people are top notch !! Plus my earning potential is far greater in North America then Thailand (I'm 35) so the cost of living is on a par and maybe cheaper in Canada due to my earning potential that I probably wouldn't have in Thailand . Camping and skiing does not have to cost anything the great outdoors is truly stunning ! I like Thailand but it does not hold a patch to the Pacific north west ... And I'm British ? Edited by chrisandsu

The two replies above "I'll be fine at 70k a month" and "it sucks to be poor".

I make more than this and with a combined income with my wife it's a lot more than this. Still would not be able to afford a full Western lifestyle I would have in Canada. If you can, please explain how with the expenses all laid out.

I make more than this and with a combined income with my wife it's a lot more than this. Still would not be able to afford a full Western lifestyle I would have in Canada. If you can, please explain how with the expenses all laid out.

question: how much would be your Canadian income tax liability in % on that combined income?

question: how much would be your Canadian income tax liability in % on that combined income?

How much is health insurance in Thailand en can one still get full insurance over 65 even coverage for prior medical condition?

How much is health insurance in Thailand en can one still get full insurance over 65 even coverage for prior medical condition?

that does not answer my question. but anybody leaving his home country where health services are provided and then thinks of health insurance issues has not done his homework.

its not 50 65%. IN THAILAND PRICE UP 100%-300% price..

So do not understand how in Thailand can be?

And you agaime say story about you save 100k and more than tax in US?

Prlease not show you silly.

All guys i know who pay 100k and up tax have Lux life in US. its be 3 time up cost in Thailand.

Many think even inpossible get in Thailand.

so say you story for people who far away from US and never know about US price and TAX..

PS

yes in Canada more tax+ uppper cost than in US. but still it cheaper than in Thailand.

its not 50 65%. IN THAILAND PRICE UP 100%-300% price..

So do not understand how in Thailand can be?

And you agaime say story about you save 100k and more than tax in US?

Prlease not show you silly.

All guys i know who pay 100k and up tax have Lux life in US. its be 3 time up cost in Thailand.

Many think even inpossible get in Thailand.

so say you story for people who far away from US and never know about US price and TAX..

PS

yes in Canada more tax+ uppper cost than in US. but still it cheaper than in Thailand.

please use either a language i can understand or (as suggested before) use "google translate".

that does not answer my question. but anybody leaving his home country where health services are provided and then thinks of health insurance issues has not done his homework.

People are always complaining about high tax rates in respective home country's ,but can get decent healthcare because of said taxes.......

People are always complaining about high tax rates in respective home country's ,but can get decent healthcare because of said taxes.......

in my home country and many other countries income and sales taxes are not used to finance healh care. that applies to any of my comments when referring to "taxes".

health care is paid for by individual mandatory contributions and provided by public or private health insurance.

in my home country and many other countries income and sales taxes are not used to finance healh care. that applies to any of my comments when referring to "taxes".

health care is paid for by individual mandatory contributions and provided by public or private health insurance.

I can speak for England and Canada , yes they have a national insurance but they also top it off with taxes on alcohol and cigarettes as they cost the NHS a fortune treating the side effects .

I can speak for England and Canada , yes they have a national insurance but they also top it off with taxes on alcohol and cigarettes as they cost the NHS a fortune treating the side effects .

Is not health care in Canada provincial? That is how Alberta can offer it free well other provinces have a monthly charge.