Patong is dead.

hansgruber

Went down to Phuket yesterday.

I had to buy some stuff at the supercheap pharmacy and some parts for my car.

I rode down very early leaving home at 3.30am.

I rode all the way down to Nai Harn to visit a friend for breakfast and then once the peak hour traffic had subsided I headed back up into town to do business.

The traffic situation on all parts of the island would now appear a nightmare. The work at the top of the by pass road where it meets Thep Krassatri is a zoo.

I witnessed two accidents. One fatal, the other not. Both were women on motorbikes hit by a thai male driving a pick up. The first was because the guy was driving too fast in the rain and slid off the road killing a poor lady in his way.

The second was at a set of traffic lights. I was waiting in a group of other bikes at the lights, a guy came up in a pick up truck in the right lane but with his blinker on to turn left. No one would move as we were in the correct lane and waiting for our green light. He honked twice and then revved up and smashed a middle aged woman off her bike next to me. She gathered herself from the bitumen, righted the bike and put it on its side stand, then walked over and started smashing on the drivers window. The lights changed and I took off for dear life before the bullets started flying.

Did I mention how glad I am to have moved out of Phuket for good.

"Did I mention how glad I am to have moved out of Phuket for good." - well, it appears, you haven't quite left "for good." biggrin.png

The driver sounds like he was on ice.

You win. Did I mention how glad I am to no longer live in Phuket.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like a pair of eyes.......

http://www.lookr.com/lookout/1404298415#action-play-day

Am I correct?

I saw only 3 farangs in the bar, all known to each other, for around 2 hours, over a 24 hour period.

Well would not surprise me as it's the bar at the end of soi Croc/Ladyboy, which has been in shutdown mode for at least last 6 months. Basically nearly everything in front of this bar was closed down (contracts expired) so they had zero chance of walking traffic being at the end of a empty dark soi. Handfull of regulars with that working against them is good indicator how strong they are

If you knew the bar you would actually know it is one of the most popular bars for regular northen european visitors on Bangla and has been for a long time.

It is now closed with the rest of the soi until mid Nov, when they think soi rebuild should be complete (good luck with that timescale)

I am not suggesting this bar is involed, but I am hearing, more and more these days, that the "popular bars" are popular because they are selling more than just alcohol and sex.

I am sure you know what I mean.

I'm not quite sure how the "soi rebuild" is going to change anything.

Phuket's appeal to the traditional western tourist market is not just about some fun in the bars, It's gone way beyond that now.

It's about all the BS here, to just have a relaxing holiday, doing whatever day / night activity the individual may chose.

Phuket, in all it's mafia ways, no longer offers that product.

Went out last night to pick up a pizza from Da Moreno in Nanai Road and noticed that the guest house opposite, "The Green Mango", was closed. I was told that it had closed and was currently being "worked on" by the new owner.

Certainly not ready for occupancy from what I could see so perhaps the new owner is hoping for the "high season" to come along?

As for the Italian restaurant at the southern end of Nanai, which has recently been reopened by somebody, well, in the 20 or 30 times that I have gone past it I have seen a total of seven people in it, so I don't think it is going to be renowned for its longevity.

Haven't been out in Bangla for almost a couple of weeks, so aiming to change that on Tuesday or Wednesday to see what's going on there.

Went out in Bangla a few nights ago, buddy over from Belgium so duty calls. Not much of a walk around, had a party to go to but from what I saw, everything really dead at moment, Bangla really quiet. Literally no customers in many of the Bangla bars and this was about 10:30pm.

Tao had zero customers and it's been the same for a long time apparently. I actually wonder if theming it along the lines of Suzie Wongs was a good idea. It might be corporate but must folks won't know and won't even care if it's owned by the same company. As it is, it has a Chinese name, Chinese style and the PRs that they had were targeting SEA customers (which many might mistake as PRC (mainland Chinese) as they walk by and simply give it a wide berth). The PR's now though are long gone and no podium dancers also. I guess pitching the beers at 180 didn't help, gogo prices for NOT a gogo. Prices are slashed right down now but to no avail. I guess the low low low season is also not helping.

Somewhere new for me - 'White Room' disco. Never been before and the party was being held there. Apparently it has been open a while but go closed down to refurb. Have to say that for a Phuket disco this was actually OK. It seems to be targeted at Scandinavians and while being about 80% full most of the night there were hardly any TG freelancers in there at all. Maybe it's because most of the crowd seem to go with their wives and girlfriends so there are no pickings for the FLs. Just a couple of bunches of 2-3 who either got scooped into the VIP area or left after one drink. Quite a good crowd overall (though it does seem Scandinavia has bogans too or is it bögans). Pretty good DJ too. Also has some tastefully attired and very attractive hostesses but only in the VIP area. They seem to be well occupied with what seems like an army of managers and security staff though. I also liked the decor and lighting. Way different to the concrete doom and gloom of Hollywood and Illuzion, all white with wooden style floors and a good display of lights / lasers. Can't comment on the drink prices as it was all hosted. It was busy all night until the police / army shut everywhere down at 2:30. What for this time Lord knows.

Tazmania, the new pool lounge (v2) under Illuzion has failed and is now closed.

Hollywood is also closed now for refurb to Hollywood Anno Zero. Can't wait (yawn).

Other than that, not much news, except it's the quietest I've seen Bangla. Will be out again tonight and will see how the Tigers and side sois are.

I trundled off to Bangla on Monday evening at about 10 p.m., mainly because I was getting "cabin fever" having not been out of an evening for some time.

As per usual I parked my car under Tiger and walked alongside of the bars on my way to Bangla and there was an absolute dearth of farangs around (mind you it was 10 p.m.) and there were a few girls dancing on the bars, but not many, quite a few of them busy putting on make-up and suchlike.

Bangla was busy-ish and one thing that did surprise me was the New York bar (the one with the live band) because it was absolutely full of Chinese and they were all seated around their little tables of four watching the band intently and not one of them on the "dance floor space" in the front. It was almost as if a tour bus or two had taken over the place!

Didn't venture much further than Soi Freedom as I wasn't out to make a big night of it, just have a couple of drinks with a bar owner friend of mine. Smiley bar was just about empty as were a few other bars in that Soi and I noticed a couple more bars had closed, with rumours that a couple more were close to it, although one had shut a short while ago and reopened again under new ownership! I can only assume that these people think they will make money whereas the others didn't, or that they got a special deal on the rental of the bar without paying any key money (which is more likely).

There were a few farangs down the far end of the Soi, in the bars next to the band and they were quite lively, that is until the band finished at 12:30 a.m. and the rain started to pour down.

Time to leave and as I passed the New York bar, the clientele had changed completely with nary a Chinese in sight and the place was heaving with younger farangs.

Unfortunately "heaving" wasn't a term I could use for the bars in Tiger 2 because although there were a few farangs dotted around the place, had the girls attacked the punters, the punters would have been outnumbered about 4 to 1!!

I have plans to meet up with a mate from Malaysia on Thursday evening, however if it is persisting down like it is now, then a postponement may be on the cards.

I trundled off to Bangla on Monday evening at about 10 p.m., mainly because I was getting "cabin fever" having not been out of an evening for some time.

As per usual I parked my car under Tiger and walked alongside of the bars on my way to Bangla and there was an absolute dearth of farangs around (mind you it was 10 p.m.) and there were a few girls dancing on the bars, but not many, quite a few of them busy putting on make-up and suchlike.

Bangla was busy-ish and one thing that did surprise me was the New York bar (the one with the live band) because it was absolutely full of Chinese and they were all seated around their little tables of four watching the band intently and not one of them on the "dance floor space" in the front. It was almost as if a tour bus or two had taken over the place!

Didn't venture much further than Soi Freedom as I wasn't out to make a big night of it, just have a couple of drinks with a bar owner friend of mine. Smiley bar was just about empty as were a few other bars in that Soi and I noticed a couple more bars had closed, with rumours that a couple more were close to it, although one had shut a short while ago and reopened again under new ownership! I can only assume that these people think they will make money whereas the others didn't, or that they got a special deal on the rental of the bar without paying any key money (which is more likely).

There were a few farangs down the far end of the Soi, in the bars next to the band and they were quite lively, that is until the band finished at 12:30 a.m. and the rain started to pour down.

Time to leave and as I passed the New York bar, the clientele had changed completely with nary a Chinese in sight and the place was heaving with younger farangs.

Unfortunately "heaving" wasn't a term I could use for the bars in Tiger 2 because although there were a few farangs dotted around the place, had the girls attacked the punters, the punters would have been outnumbered about 4 to 1!!

I have plans to meet up with a mate from Malaysia on Thursday evening, however if it is persisting down like it is now, then a postponement may be on the cards.

"or that they got a special deal on the rental of the bar without paying any key money (which is more likely)" - given the current economic conditions on Phuket, anyone paying "key money" for anything here is crazy.

<snip>

As per usual I parked my car under Tiger

Where is the parking under Tiger. I must have missed seeing the underground parking ... giggle.gif

The entrance to the underground parking is just opposite the side road from Jungceylon which comes out on to Rat-u-Thid road.

If you were coming down rat-u-thid road, it is on the right about 50 m just after the traffic lights at the top of Bangla. There is underground parking for cars and motorbikes and the parking rates are reasonable.

Once you come up from the underground parking, you emerge onto the walkway next to Tiger 2.

Hope this helps.

<snip>

Where is the parking under Tiger. I must have missed seeing the underground parking ... giggle.gif

The entrance to the underground parking is just opposite the side road from Jungceylon which comes out on to Rat-u-Thid road.

If you were coming down rat-u-thid road, it is on the right about 50 m just after the traffic lights at the top of Bangla. There is underground parking for cars and motorbikes and the parking rates are reasonable.

Once you come up from the underground parking, you emerge onto the walkway next to Tiger 2.

Hope this helps.

Is that car park open 24/7?

Any idea on the rates?

Edited by NamKangMan

<snip>

Hope this helps.

Is that car park open 24/7?

Any idea on the rates?

I think it officially closes at 3 a.m. however there is always a security guard on duty and if you exit later than that, then they will calculate your fee and away you go.

I think it is about 30 baht an hour with the first hour between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. being free.

@ xp

When you say, "the first hour between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. being free" - does that mean it's not open before 9pm?

Open but that hour is free.

Thanks.

I forgot to ask, does it flood?

Never has yet and if you look at the location it has a sort of "ramp/slope" going up to it off Rat-u-Thid, so the water level would have to be about 1.5 mtrs high to even reach the entrance.

Thursday night in Bangla and there was something very different about the place.......not only was it fairly crowded, but there was a "buzz" about it; it seemed alive; there was an urgency about the place.

Very hard to describe "feelings" that one gets when something like this happens, however I haven't experienced that for quite some time.

In addition, the mix was different in as much as there were a few groups of younger Chinese girls who had no problems sitting in a few bars and drinking; there were a few more Koreans around than of late and the occasional smattering of Russians, not to mention a few South Africans and four nice folk in their late 20s who were from Costa Rica. And if you add quite a few Aussies to the mix then you have a more vibrant Bangla than has been seen for some time.

As I mentioned in a previous post the New York bar/club was heaving as was Monsoon and even good old Smiley Bar was packed, mainly because they have a new band playing in there and they were very good, with two guy singers and one girl and the range of songs and styles was excellent.

Smiley bar was my first port of call after dining at my favourite Italian restaurant in Soi Patong resort and after a few drinks I moved on to Island bar at the end of Soi Freedom to listen to the Filipino band there, probably my favourite band in Patong.

The farang contingent in that Soi was never that large and although some of the bars were empty, others were fairly well frequented although I would have to say that overall the Soi bars would be struggling quite badly.

On the same thread subject, but different location...........I noticed that the two small guesthouse/hotels next to the one named "Suite Dreams" have closed and are up for rent as are another couple of buildings nearby and also noticed a large for rent/lease sign outside of an establishment in Soi Banzaan and possibly as a sign of the times with regards to needing to attract customers, a small coffee shop in Soi Nanai 8 is advertising espresso coffee and croissant for 90 baht.

Not sure what to make of things, perhaps the "Bangla buzz" was a one-off, although I am sure that even if it continued, there would still be many bars close to folding, but the empty buildings in Nanai continue to increase.

Thursday night in Bangla and there was something very different about the place.......not only was it fairly crowded, but there was a "buzz" about it; it seemed alive; there was an urgency about the place.

Very hard to describe "feelings" that one gets when something like this happens, however I haven't experienced that for quite some time.

In addition, the mix was different in as much as there were a few groups of younger Chinese girls who had no problems sitting in a few bars and drinking; there were a few more Koreans around than of late and the occasional smattering of Russians, not to mention a few South Africans and four nice folk in their late 20s who were from Costa Rica. And if you add quite a few Aussies to the mix then you have a more vibrant Bangla than has been seen for some time.

As I mentioned in a previous post the New York bar/club was heaving as was Monsoon and even good old Smiley Bar was packed, mainly because they have a new band playing in there and they were very good, with two guy singers and one girl and the range of songs and styles was excellent.

Smiley bar was my first port of call after dining at my favourite Italian restaurant in Soi Patong resort and after a few drinks I moved on to Island bar at the end of Soi Freedom to listen to the Filipino band there, probably my favourite band in Patong.

The farang contingent in that Soi was never that large and although some of the bars were empty, others were fairly well frequented although I would have to say that overall the Soi bars would be struggling quite badly.

On the same thread subject, but different location...........I noticed that the two small guesthouse/hotels next to the one named "Suite Dreams" have closed and are up for rent as are another couple of buildings nearby and also noticed a large for rent/lease sign outside of an establishment in Soi Banzaan and possibly as a sign of the times with regards to needing to attract customers, a small coffee shop in Soi Nanai 8 is advertising espresso coffee and croissant for 90 baht.

Not sure what to make of things, perhaps the "Bangla buzz" was a one-off, although I am sure that even if it continued, there would still be many bars close to folding, but the empty buildings in Nanai continue to increase.

Maybe celebrating a break in the rain. smile.png

Phuket is lacking anything world class.

No real waterpark, no fun parks, shopping is horrendous.

It's very hard to find something that makes it unique except for the Thainess which isn't up to international destination standard.

Absolutely the same for Samui. Absolutely lacking in anything world class. There are a few exceptional resorts, but most guests rarely leave, and when they do, it is for a quick trip into town for a nice meal, and directly back to the resort. As hard as they try, to make it a five star island, the sewer smells, the foul water, the waste on the beach, the lack of quality shopping, and the complete lack of competent and creative leadership, keeps both of these islands from progressing into the great destinations they could have become.

Phuket is lacking anything world class.

No real waterpark, no fun parks, shopping is horrendous.

It's very hard to find something that makes it unique except for the Thainess which isn't up to international destination standard.

Absolutely the same for Samui. Absolutely lacking in anything world class. There are a few exceptional resorts, but most guests rarely leave, and when they do, it is for a quick trip into town for a nice meal, and directly back to the resort. As hard as they try, to make it a five star island, the sewer smells, the foul water, the waste on the beach, the lack of quality shopping, and the complete lack of competent and creative leadership, keeps both of these islands from progressing into the great destinations they could have become.

Correct.They are still stuck in the dark ages here and still relying on the same old scams and "tea money" to raise money, rather than offering a good holiday product, at a competitive price.

This is something that other tourists areas in Thailand, and other countries in the region, are no cashing in on.

<snip>

Think it was just YOU having a good night. Was also out that night, were things up a little bit? Sure But think that was mainly due to people enjoying the break in the rain. By Sat, while main street was full of Arab's/Indians/Young Back packer/Full Moon types walking up and down (last two with 7/11 bottles in hand), most of the bars were empty (Sunday was even worse, except for Smilie and Sharky's next door)

The "youth clubs" (Illusion/Seduction and possibly White room though never go last one as still remember them as a drugs haunt and no idea if cleaned up their act) are packing out from early, but no one is sure if they are actually making any real money (especially Illusion with all the farang staff, the amount of booze they give out to girls and their low priced open bars). But outside of VIP i rarely see anyone i would say is spending serious money, actually in Illusion i constantly see "customers" mooching off the girls free booze.

Mid Sep to mid Oct has always been a horrible time for Bangla bars (and this time is no different, just worse on the back of a bad low season). It's a change over period, other is end of April until mid June. Seasons are changing in both Europe and Aus, In Europe those that normally travel during local summer have gone, those who normally travel during local winter have not really started arriving yet (reverse for the Australians)

On side note, demolition of Soi Croc/Ladyboy has finally started, but looking at their progress so far their chances of opening before Xmas are nill unless they seriously get their asses into gear or curtail their plans big time

Edited by Lashay

A few things of interest...............

I see that one of the little single-storey "roller blind shops" just in the entrance at Soi Nanai 6 is opening up as a bar!!! At the moment there are a couple of Thai girls (perhaps late 20s) overseeing the workmen who are putting in some fittings, and the sponsor appears to be a northern European guy (perhaps Scandinavian).

I just wonder at the intelligence of some people here, because there is absolutely no foot traffic, it is not in a built up area per se, and the upstairs farang restaurant in the building just opposite closed after about a month because it had no customers. So quite where the customers are going to come from, or to what market it will appeal to is beyond me.

I give it two months before they realise they are throwing money away!

Now this is something of a surprise, as a friend of mine yesterday was dining mid-afternoon at the Wine Connection in Jungceylon and was refused a glass of wine because the police had clamped down and had enforced the normal completely insane "alcohol no sale times". This seems quite crazy as the place also operates as a restaurant..........perhaps they are refusing to pay the necessary tea money to ensure that they can serve alcohol with the food, so the BIB have put paid to that!

Elsewhere I posted that there is some friction between the BIB and the military here and this latest episode would appear to back that up. The owner of a large entertainment establishment here was worried that the army would enforce the closing hours, thereby losing his establishment a vast amount of income, however in his words, "he was relieved when the army turned up on his doorstep and asked for tea money to allow him to stay open later" so he willingly paid up.

So much for the big "corruption crackdown"...........as I said before, once the army realised that Phuket was a multi million baht moneymaking machine, they decided they needed a part of that action. So expect to see the occasional crackdown on things which won't bring them any money so they can be seen to be doing the "right thing", but in the end it's just another case of same trough, more and different snouts.

A few things of interest...............

I see that one of the little single-storey "roller blind shops" just in the entrance at Soi Nanai 6 is opening up as a bar!!! At the moment there are a couple of Thai girls (perhaps late 20s) overseeing the workmen who are putting in some fittings, and the sponsor appears to be a northern European guy (perhaps Scandinavian).

I just wonder at the intelligence of some people here, because there is absolutely no foot traffic, it is not in a built up area per se, and the upstairs farang restaurant in the building just opposite closed after about a month because it had no customers. So quite where the customers are going to come from, or to what market it will appeal to is beyond me.

I give it two months before they realise they are throwing money away!

Now this is something of a surprise, as a friend of mine yesterday was dining mid-afternoon at the Wine Connection in Jungceylon and was refused a glass of wine because the police had clamped down and had enforced the normal completely insane "alcohol no sale times". This seems quite crazy as the place also operates as a restaurant..........perhaps they are refusing to pay the necessary tea money to ensure that they can serve alcohol with the food, so the BIB have put paid to that!

Elsewhere I posted that there is some friction between the BIB and the military here and this latest episode would appear to back that up. The owner of a large entertainment establishment here was worried that the army would enforce the closing hours, thereby losing his establishment a vast amount of income, however in his words, "he was relieved when the army turned up on his doorstep and asked for tea money to allow him to stay open later" so he willingly paid up.

So much for the big "corruption crackdown"...........as I said before, once the army realised that Phuket was a multi million baht moneymaking machine, they decided they needed a part of that action. So expect to see the occasional crackdown on things which won't bring them any money so they can be seen to be doing the "right thing", but in the end it's just another case of same trough, more and different snouts.

I heard rumors the military were taking "tea money" and now you have confirmed.

It was not surprising the draft constitution was rejected, but to then announce any election would not be held for at least 2 years, well, as you say, who wants to give up their turn at the trough?

As for the new bar owner, he's probably giving his new Thai girlfriend a job behind the bar, and not out with the "customers." Some people have to learn the hard way.

Edited by NamKangMan

Re Wine Connection: it is quite common for restaurants in shopping malls to follow the restricted sales times. My guess is that it's deemed to be a retail outlet rather than a bar as it's located inside a mall, though this is just my personal speculation. Wine Connection always seemed to be an exception.

When we see these hours operating in bars and restaurants outside of the malls that's the time to be concerned.