Quick actions needed to repair Thai-US friction

webfact

REGIONAL PERSPECTIVE
Quick actions needed to repair Thai-US friction

Kavi Chongkittavorn
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's outrage over the comments last week by Daniel Russel, Assistant State Secretary for East Asia and Pacific Affairs, and subsequent responses from the US, showed that the 182-year-old relationship was in deep trouble and must be fixed as soon as possible.

To move ahead, both countries need to dig deep into their long history of friendship and cooperation to rekindle old spirits and aspirations missing in the current exchanges.

Bangkok and Washington also must develop new common platforms that reflect their mutual interests and shared values to

prevent these precious relations drifting further. In the present regional and global environment, such a backsliding, even for a brief moment, could have far-reaching consequences.

In March 1833, Thailand became the first Asian country to sign a treaty with the US. The Treaty of Amity and Commerce was a remarkable document revealing how the two allies valued their relations at that time. The treaty's last paragraph pledged a perpetual peace that would allow the Thais and Americans to trade "so long as heaven and earth shall endure."

The hullaballoo last week simply reminded that our modern-day diplomats do not pay attention to these historical records and promises. Instead, they prefer to create their own narratives. Judging from numerous comments and reactions, it showed both Thai and American diplomats were not that smart, lacking the knowledge and intellect of their forbears, who managed to forge closer friendships under unusual circumstance and obstacles. These days, Thailand and the US are willing to ignore their common history at their own peril, preferring to pass judgement and insult one another. Doubtless, Thais viewed American bafflement at the present political situation as another form of hypocrisy.

A few actions need to be taken urgently to patch up and move forward in the mending of Thai-US ties.

First of all, if the US feels the urge to comment on the political situation in Thailand from now on, especially the ongoing political reform and democratisation process, Washington should use appropriate diplomatic channels to voice its views and concerns. There is no need to air controversial remarks publicly, especially those that can easily add fuel to the fire. Constructive comments at the right time would certainly help to strengthen mutual confidence.

They could help prevent unnecessary political "spin", which has already become a regular feature in Thai-US diplomatic rows. Somehow, Washington and Bangkok have yet to learn valuable lessons from their longstanding engagement. Russel's comment over the impeachment of Yingluck was really unfortunate and uncalled for and it came at the worst time—three days after the verdicts. The same views expressed discreetly would not have harmed the relationship.

Second, the US State Department must make sure that the next American ambassador to Thailand, whoever he or she is, arrives in the capital as soon as possible. They must not leave the post vacant for too long. Otherwise, there will be a huge gap in communication between the two countries.

Given the reality in Washington these days, any confirmation in the US Congress of the ambassadorial appointment could clearly take some time. However, the longer it takes, the heavier the impact on Thai-US relations.

Most importantly, any future delay could be perceived as a protest by Washington against the current government and the downgrading of bilateral ties.

A new envoy in town would be able to instil fresh confidence and jump-start improvement of the much-bruised relationship. There is no need for American diplomats

stationed in Bangkok and Washington to use Twitter to convey their messages as they do today. Truth be told, since the last half of 2009, tweets coming from American diplomats on the situation in Thailand have caused deep anxieties and misunderstanding, poisoning the Thai-US friendship and deepening their mistrust.

Finally, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is preparing for his US trip to attend the UN General Assembly at the end of September, following UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon's recent invitation. There must be communication strategies from concerned officials and agencies on this planned visit. Otherwise, it could turn into another political fiasco as in last September when Foreign Minister General Tanasak Patimapragorn was in New York to attend the UNGA and was given cursory attention by his American counterparts.

At the moment, Thailand is finalising its report on the progress over issues related to human trafficking and human rights violations concerning migrant workers. Last year, Washington downgraded Bangkok to tier 3 — a huge embarrassment for Thailand. When the annual Trafficking in Persons report is due in May, the new assessment by the US government would be another indicative of the state of Thai-US relations. If the report is not positive, it could further ruin their friendship. Thai-US relations are unique and cannot be replaced by other bilateral ties. At this juncture, Thailand cannot afford to lose a friend, any friend for that matter.

Disagreements between Bangkok and Washington must be considered as normal happenstances. However, it would become anything but normal if they allowed last week's response to drag on and continue to rear its ugly head.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Quick-actions-needed-to-repair-Thai-US-friction-30253170.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-02

… it showed both Thai and American diplomats were not that smart, lacking the knowledge and intellect of their forbears ...

No $hit.

And, uhm, that should be "forebears," with an "e," unless your spellchecker auto-fixed, and you meant foreskin.

Thailand is acting a bit like a Woman scorned here. The Junta said they would have elections next year , so whats the problem, the US was just reminding them

LOL yea right. Maybe US - like most of us living here - realizes what is said is not what is done. Words and actions often don't go together in Lack of Sanctions (LOS)

• Like 2

Apparently The country is on a tier 3 level because it allowed it's self to be put there, public officials and privet people involved in human rights abuses and human trafficking with many levels of officials actively and passively involved, this is something that people in powerful places profit from the misery of others and is now costing the country more than just money, those involved should not just be ashamed of them selves but seriously and very publicly punished and not just a few mid level token scape goats, the money trail is there to find these people, but is the political will???

What happened with the law suite against Reuters and two journalists in Phuket for it's story? still ongoing or has it been dropped?

These people dug your into this hole, now dig your way out of it, and threatening the US Thai relationship as leverage is not helping the cause.

As for public comments of the current situation and normal communication channels being used, REALLY,,, I would be sure that they were used extensively and now the issues are very much in the public eye and some people don't like it.

People commenting here are being brought in to have "attitude adjustments" But it can't do that with the US.

If Thailand wants this to go away then they need to seriously tackle the issues and not just lip service.

The US should not interfere in a country's politics, But yes I'm afraid is also has the right to comment publicly as it see's fit just as Thailand can comment as it see's fit.

Is "attitude adjustments" something Thailand junta learned from it's pals China, North Korea, and Russia?

• Like 2

Thailand is acting a bit like a Woman scorned here. The Junta said they would have elections next year , so whats the problem, the US was just reminding them

Yes like a woman and there is handsum China around

Help me on this 182 relationship and the " perpetual peace that would allow the Thais and Americans to trade "so long as heaven and earth shall endure.""

How did the events of WWII fit into this everlasting relationship?

• Like 2

"A few actions need to be taken urgently to patch up and move forward in the mending of Thai-US ties."

The only patch that's needed is across the mouth of individuals who insist on meddling with another country's affairs. Not so long back, the US was suggesting that Scotland should not vote for independence. <deleted> has it got to do with America? (For brevity, I'll forego all of the other examples of Uncle Sam's interference). In Thailand's case....the meddling and interference has nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with what is best for Thai people - the US doesn't give a rodent's rear end for them - it's all about what is best for America. Me...me....me...

Again I say I recognize the shortcomings of the U.S. Government policy many times in history. I also recognize a few positive things the U.S. policy has been able to achieve for the good of more than just ourselves.

But here I hope to give some better understanding of the American psyche. While I am only one American speaking for myself I can state clearly and without reservation...I give a damn. It matters not to me which continent, which country (some more than others) I care about what happens, what affects other humans. Whether it be natural disaster or political trials and tribulations, I try to read and understand a bit about what is happening. And then, for what it is worth, I form my opinion as one citizen of the planet. Sorry, I have a bad attitude, I actually think I have a right to my opinion and a right to express my opinion...allowing the reality that, in some countries, my freedom is restricted or does not exist.

IMO: it boils down to this there is a right way a wrong way then there is a Thaiway of doing things here, If I may remind the dear PM the military took control of the country I'm in no way saying it was right or wrong, but saying it was the only option short of civil war in which many would have died. Now that I made myself clear there there. According to Mr PM he wants happiness for Thai's but as far as I see and the world sees hasn't made a move to get to root of problem which in mine and many others views falls directly on the RTP. They are command central on drugs, trafficking of ivory , human's, smuggling,the list goes on and on. yet you have failed in addressing this for fear of what? To cure the cancer you need to remove root cause. Then the rest will follow. but as stated in the beginning it is only my opinion. Which will be ignored as is the Thai way.

Many "leaders" cannot acomplish anything good in 8 years...but can ask others countries leaders in to do it in 8 months.

Good "diplomacy"... that looks like is supported by some people...

Relax...you are in Thailand.

The US is getting into a new Cold War mode again.....Never learning from the past...or still living in the past.

World changed.

While the current leaders of wonderful Thailand are trying to take this country back to the 1800's. coffee1.gif

thumbsup.gif

You remind me of that Jody Foster movie, where she asks Chow Yun Fat if blowing up the bridge will stop his (Thai) political rival & he says "Only if he's on it".

Edited by jaywalker

IMO: it boils down to this there is a right way a wrong way then there is a Thaiway of doing things here, If I may remind the dear PM the military took control of the country I'm in no way saying it was right or wrong, but saying it was the only option short of civil war in which many would have died. Now that I made myself clear there there. According to Mr PM he wants happiness for Thai's but as far as I see and the world sees hasn't made a move to get to root of problem which in mine and many others views falls directly on the RTP. They are command central on drugs, trafficking of ivory , human's, smuggling,the list goes on and on. yet you have failed in addressing this for fear of what? To cure the cancer you need to remove root cause. Then the rest will follow. but as stated in the beginning it is only my opinion. Which will be ignored as is the Thai way.

I don't dispute your point, but I believe that you are over simplifying the issue when you state that the RTP is command central. The RTP is not the sole entity that is tainted. May I remind you that the Thai military is responsible for Thailand's borders. The human trafficking that brings the people into Thailand, and the large amounts of timber and yaba that cross the border must get through the entity responsible for securing the borders. There will always be some successful smugglers, no matter how diligent and honest the agency guarding the borders is. However, I suggest to you, that the success of some of these smugglers is accompanied by that old Beatles refrain, "I get by with a little help from my friends".

Though the article ends with "Thailand cannot afford to lose a friend" everything in the article is about what the US must do, basically full diplomatic recognition of the Junta and no negative comments or gossip, yet totally ignores any actions that need to be taken by the current regime.

• Like 1

For Thailand to move forward they need to learn to work with Foreigners. The first step in this process is to accept them and treat them as an equal. With kids in government, they certainly need someone to hold their hand and guide them. However, as i mentioned in another post, a blind man can't guide another blind man if they don't listen. The problem is that Thai's never listen cause they always think they are right.

• Like 1

You clearly do not keep up with the Thai news in both what the RTP are currently doing and the re-organisation of the RTP currently planned. But don't worry, you are not alone on this on this forum!bah.gif