confusing Jom Tien information

I went to Jom Tien to do my 3 months address reporting with a retirement visa. Busy, but no problem. Last year I had a re-entry permit just in case I want to make a trip to Cambodia or Bali or an unexpected trip home. I did not use the re-entry so it was a total loss as it expired with the retirement visa.

This year I want to again get a re-entry permit for the same reason and low and behold the rules changed, or so they say. A young lady at the reception counter asked when do you leave? Don't know yet. You must come one day before you leave get re-entry. I can not because I do not know when. Come back at 12:30pm. It is only 10:30am ,do I really need to sit here for 2 hours for to get an answer? She walked away with someone elses passport.

Another young lady, same re-entry form. She said. You can come 2 to 3 days before you department. I again tried to tell her why that would not work. She rolled her eyes and left me standing there with her back to me.

I pick up a new re-entry form from the counter and a Thai guy now behind the counter said to me. You can not. New rules. You come back 2 to 3 weeks before you depart. I asked why? He said, New rules. Very busy. 2 to 3 weeks maximum.

My question: Is it safe to enter a departure date on the form and not depart that date and keep the re-entry stamp intact and valid in the passport for the remainder of the retirement visa? Like I did last year. And how about multiple re-entries?

Just an observation. All those people working behind the counters seem to be more uptight and rude than last year. Is there any place one can get some strait answers? Please don't say, see the falang working there. Again just an observation: He is as confused and rude as the rest of them.

Sorry, a half day wasted and ranting. If you know, please tell me.

There are some strange things going on at Jomitien immigration. Some of it does seem to be because they are busy.

You can put any date on the TM8 form because the only date on the re-entry permit is the date it expires.

I think they are simply trying to thin out the herd as the place has been mobbed ever since the reopened after the New Year holidays. People filing extensions early are been told to come back closer to their actual renewal date so maybe they are doing the same with those that don't appear to have a pressing need for a re-entry stamp. I went in there just after 2 PM last Monday and asked how long it would take to get a re-entry permit as I was 'leaving tomorrow'. She said it would take about 4 hours. I told her I would get one at the airport and left. I may check again tomorrow morning as I may be called up at short notice for some work.

As said earlier, the departure date you give on the form need not be the drop-dead departure date but I would wager if you plug in a date next week, they will tell you to come back next week.

Two suggestions:

1) as suggested above, just put in any date. I have never been accurate on my departure dates on my reentry permit applications. No one ever checked. My track record is 13 years of reentry permits.

2) Why not just get your reentry permit at the airport if you're leaving by air? There is a convenient office there, just before you clear passport control.

Edited by Fookhaht

2) Why not just get your reentry permit at the airport if you're leaving by air? There is a convenient office there, just before you clear passport control.

I've asked this myself and the piqued answer was something like "since anything can happen the best way is to get it well in advance". Fine with me, it's not my time being wasted.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've asked this myself and the piqued answer was something like "since anything can happen the best way is to get it well in advance". Fine with me, it's not my time being wasted.

Not wanting to disagree with you but telling someone to come back closer to their actual departure date because they are busy, is ridiculous.

Its like putting up a sign on the Free way telling drivers to turn around and come back on a day when it is not so busy.

I will go back next week, give a fake date because I don't have a date, and take my changes.facepalm.gif

It will be my 3rd visit for something that could have (should have) been done in one visit. thumbsup.gif

Thanks to all for answering.

Not wanting to disagree with you but telling someone to come back closer to their actual departure date because they are busy, is ridiculous.

Its like putting up a sign on the Free way telling drivers to turn around and come back on a day when it is not so busy.

My comment was not about what Jomtien does. It had nothing to do with their current policies, that BTW I agree are stupid.

Edited by paz