British Man killed in South Pattaya Road Crash

webfact

Some of these chaps riding these highly powered bikes take huge chances and drive crazily and too fast-as do the young Thais who can afford these bikes-so obviously we will get these unfortunate and terrible accidents.

Here we go AGAIN with the pansy brigade trying to tell us what we should do with our lives. If youre too scared to go faster than walking pace then stay at home and leave other people to do what they enjoy.

more people die on tiny little scooters than on nasty big motorbikes

For sure but folk in LOS can't buy a big bike, if they could you really would see carnage.............w00t.gif

Idiots on the road and we see it all the time, it doesnt matter if it is a Thai or a westerner. As an expat living here he should have known better. And did he wear a helmet ? In this case it probably wouldnt save him. Early morning so he was probably driving home from the pub.

Some of these chaps riding these highly powered bikes take huge chances and drive crazily and too fast-as do the young Thais who can afford these bikes-so obviously we will get these unfortunate and terrible accidents.

Here we go AGAIN with the pansy brigade trying to tell us what we should do with our lives. If youre too scared to go faster than walking pace then stay at home and leave other people to do what they enjoy.

It doesnt bother me in the slightest that people choose to kill themselves by riding motorbikes, big or small. I just find it rather odd.

Personally I drive a pick-up truck because I like the odds of walking away from an accident without a scratch on me.

For thrills I wind the window down (and leave the air-con on).

• Like 2

You may be right Kitten, but in one way or the other this partly blockage of the right-lane confuses loads of people.

A lot of "finding the correct lane actions" resulting in riders and drivers going crazy.

A case can certainly be made for much more obvious flashing warning signs, on the lines of what they use on UK motorways for repair vehicles.

Actually, I'm quite lucky. When i came to Thailand, i loved to speeding around. Never had a accident. Even after 7 years. With the time, i saw to many accidents and read storys like this one. We all can see every day the craziness on Thai roads. Be it uneducated / insane drivers, inadequately secured construction sites, wrong parking vehicles or bad condition of the roads, it's better to drive defensive. Luckily i got this insight without to learn a expensive and painful lesson.

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 2

It doesnt bother me in the slightest that people choose to kill themselves by riding motorbikes, big or small. I just find it rather odd.

Personally I drive a pick-up truck because I like the odds of walking away from an accident without a scratch on me.

For thrills I wind the window down (and leave the air-con on).

I am with you on this , who wants to risk their lifes, we only live once.

But 80% of the locals living here, both Thais and expats ride a bike. They think they can survive anything , I would be scared like shit just riding a bike down Sukhumvit , day or night. I know , we all think it never happens to me , but even if you're a safe rider you can easily end up dead here, only last week a girl on her bike was hit from behind.

Were there warning triangles placed behind the truck at a sufficient distance?

Hazard lights on or not, 'parking' in the right hand lane surely is not permitted.....putting up advertising boards is not excuse enough.

How many lives must be lost because of such idiocy.

as a foreigner here and even the smallest amount of common sense you should know how the other road users behave and drive/ride cautiously and safely at all times. and of course at least wear a helmet.

Hazard lights on or not, 'parking' in the right hand lane surely is not permitted.....putting up advertising boards is not excuse enough.

as a foreigner here and even the smallest amount of common sense you should know how the other road users behave and drive/ride cautiously and safely at all times. and of course at least wear a helmet.

...........and know in which direction to travelsad.png (this happened in Chiang Mai )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ-wazFuaMc&feature=player_detailpage

Edited by Asiantravel

All blame aside

Always was taught that as a motorcyclist it does not matter how good a rider you are, how fast you can ride, how aware of your surroundings you are, there is always some idiot out there who can catch you out, percentage wise in the LoS there is an awful lot of idiots out there, I won't even get on a motorbike taxi over here..

RIP Greg

The graveyards are full of people with your logic. I don't care if you kill yourself its the innocents who get killed that I care about. Ive had a lot of bikes but I would feel safer racing at Donnington than riding in Thailand.

RIP Greg.

You obviously have not been out in the sticks - having any lights on a parked vehicle is unusual.

Having hazard lights on a vehicle parked on the Sukumvit Road (which is a well-lit road) at least gives drivers a decent chance of avoiding it. If excessive speed or drink are involved it makes it harder.

RIP Greg.

Well I have actually but that has nothing to do with it.

This was Sukhumvit, South Pattaya, it isn't 'out in the sticks'......it wasn't parked, it was in the right lane putting up billboards.

Why on earth would they be doing that job in the middle of the night?

It is getting dangerous on Sukhumvit near central Pattaya as construction for the tunnel ramps up.

Edited by jacko45k

It just might be because there are substantially more of them on the roads dya think?

• Like 1

If they are working on the central reservation then there is no reason why they should not park on the outside lane. Better that than crossing the whole carriageway on foot endlessly.

I've driven along Sukumvit at night and it is mostly quite well-lit. Anyone driving at a reasonable speed and in control of his vehicle and senses should spot an obstacle well before hitting it. And anyone who cant see what's in front of them within stopping distance should be driving much more slowly.

But in the middle of the night, there are plenty of reasons not to do it, certainly ample warnings behind are required.

Hardly working, putting up useless adverts..........

At least the cleaners and water sprayers work in broad daylight and have lots of flashing lights etc.

Well, I am more sedate and fearful but a younger person on a powerful bike may well have some testosterone left.

Most accidents are the results of multiple failings/errors coming together, one has to address each of them to prevent the next.

Parking in the middle of a 4 lane highway in the middle of the night to litter the central reservation is perhaps one of them.

I also don't drive/ride after dark when I can avoid it, it's too risky and often drunk drivers/rider around, especially here around Pattaya. I didn't say the Brit was drunk but according to the news it happened at the early hours where most people are home in bed.

I also ride big bikes here and don't ride too fast, only shorts bursts now and again when the roads are clear and certainly not within city limits when there are just too many unknown factors that can suddenly turn your day into a very bad one.

RIP to the Brit.

If they are working on the central reservation then there is no reason why they should not park on the outside lane. Better that than crossing the whole carriageway on foot endlessly.

I've driven along Sukumvit at night and it is mostly quite well-lit. Anyone driving at a reasonable speed and in control of his vehicle and senses should spot an obstacle well before hitting it. And anyone who cant see what's in front of them within stopping distance should be driving much more slowly.

But in the middle of the night, there are plenty of reasons not to do it, certainly ample warnings behind are required.

At least the cleaners and water sprayers work in broad daylight and have lots of flashing lights etc.

I imagine that they do it at night specifically because there is much less traffic and so what traffic there is can see them from much further away.

If I was doing their job I would rather do it at 4am than 4pm also.

I imagine that they do it at night specifically because there is much less traffic and so what traffic there is can see them from much further away.

If I was doing their job I would rather do it at 4am than 4pm also.

In the dark?

I wonder if posting adverts all over the place is permitted, what do you think, they seem to block peoples views of what is ahead?

Personally I would rather not work nights.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Was he wearing a helmet?

In this instance I doubt it would have made much difference...

Somehow "Darwinisam" is not that efficient as it should be.whistling.gif

TiT, things like that don't happen, there is no such thing as road safety.

Man go tell the BIB, nothing will ever change , get used to it.

I'm a motorcyclist, and one that drives big bikes, sometime at speed.

That being said, there is little excuse for rear ending a parked vehicle.

TiT, things like that don't happen, there is no such thing as road safety.

Yes of course, mostly you are correct, but things are improving in that respect. I notice the water sprayers do it, and the street cleaners.

But in this case their own employees were not in danger.......