returning items at airport plaza.What is my right?

THAIPHUKET

With a big chain like IT City you stand a reasonable chance if bought in error.

It will cost you nothing to try, they probably won't give you a refund but will do a credit to spend against the correct item.

Should be fine if less than 7 days and you pick out another set. They've obliged me in the past on a headset at the Airport Plaza one, but for a full refund, not so sure.

That has been my experience also. If less than 7 days than an exchange of equal or greater value is usually not a problem. If exchanging for a lower value item, odds go down.

• Like 1

It's a lottery.

IMO most won't change something like headsets, they will just think you did something to them and are trying it on.

Great way to describe refunds/exchanges (lottery) in Thailand. I hope the OP is successful, but it has definitely changed the way I shop, especially big ticket items. I don't know about others but I definitely ask many more questions and take a lot more of the sales staff time than I would back home. Many times I don't buy the product if there is any doubt about quality, performance, compatibility or availability of replacement parts. After sales service for the most part is not very good here and many times I am left scratching my head and thinking "this store would be busier, and increase their profit, if they took care of the customer."

• Like 2

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have found most of the larger shops to be very good in regards to returns. Be polite, have the receipt. Must in original packing.

Caveat emptor "Let the buyer beware" With item like this it was your mistake not theirs but give it a go.

As far as after sales service I have found it to be good in most occasions.

Be polite,smile and ask nicely.

My experience is that sometimes it communicates better when you get angry/stay persistent and eventually tell them get the manager. And really I don't give a damn about that face loosing thing because they always take advantage of it and think they can get away with not giving proper service. Also don't forget that salesmen are programmed like robots to NOT accept returns and don't have any power to make decisions, that's why sometimes better to directly communicate with managers.

I think I remember something about a legal 7 days RIGHT to change or demand a refund?

4. Consumers’ Rights to Terminate the Contract: Consumers are entitled to have a “cooling-off period” in a direct sales or marketing agreement (within seven days after the delivery of the merchandise or service). Consumers have the right to change their minds, prior to the expiration of those seven days, by terminating the agreement and returning the merchandise.

5. Refunds: Merchants are required to give a full refund to consumers within 15 days after receiving the termination notification. However, in case the merchandise has been damaged by the consumer, the consumer must be responsible for such damage. A description of the goods and services to be excluded from this seven-day delay will be provided by future regulations, as will be the general procedures for returning goods.

• Like 1

My experience is that sometimes it communicates better when you get angry/stay persistent and eventually tell them get the manager. And really I don't give a damn about that face loosing thing because they always take advantage of it and think they can get away with not giving proper service. Also don't forget that salesmen are programmed like robots to NOT accept returns and don't have any power to make decisions, that's why sometimes better to directly communicate with managers.

Completly the opposite experience. I can't think of a time in the many years I have been here where getting angry has solved anything.

I agree completely, but you have to understand that the writer is a newcomer to Thailand and it takes time to change over from dealing with one culture to another. When I first came here many moons ago, I'm sure I tried the 'angry man' approach but after a while realised it's never going to solve a problem.

Completly the opposite experience. I can't think of a time in the many years I have been here where getting angry has solved anything.

Depends.. The vast majority of the time, and at first, its a no no..

However there are times when you get stonewalled and they are maintaining something cannot be done, cannot be exchanged etc.. Times when they are clearly at fault but are refusing to admit it (and buying the wrong headphones doesnt count) and there have been times when the right level of outrage has forced the issue..

Not common, and has to be 100% in the right and justified.. but a few times it has worked for me.

Depends.. The vast majority of the time, and at first, its a no no..

However there are times when you get stonewalled and they are maintaining something cannot be done, cannot be exchanged etc.. Times when they are clearly at fault but are refusing to admit it (and buying the wrong headphones doesnt count) and there have been times when the right level of outrage has forced the issue..

Not common, and has to be 100% in the right and justified.. but a few times it has worked for me.

3BB, CAT Telecom, TOT... My 3 year old daughter has more sense of responsibility and reliability, and lying is not her habit either.

I only had a good relation with TT&T, the Chiangmai manager is/was a lovely guy who went very far to solve technical issues, could always call him on his private number when having issues. When poor or no internet he tore up the bill or gave a big discount. Really an example for Thai companies in general!!!!

OP asked "What is my right?"

I think the answer is you do not have any but as stated above you might get some help if you are nice. Some stores have policies but products that are difficult to test like head sets may not be covered.

This talk about getting tough or angry does not apply when you choose the wrong product to buy and should have checked the connectors visually before buying.

I bought something a JIB, a USB stick, and then realized I had made a mistake and bought the wrong one. I tried returning it, before I had ever left the store, and it was a major hassle, and they didn't want to do it, but seemed to do so extremely reluctantly, only because it was brand new, I hadn't left the store yet, and had a receipt.

I bought something a JIB, a USB stick, and then realized I had made a mistake and bought the wrong one. I tried returning it, before I had ever left the store, and it was a major hassle, and they didn't want to do it, but seemed to do so extremely reluctantly, only because it was brand new, I hadn't left the store yet, and had a receipt.

Crossing JIB of the list then. Not even leaving the shop, eh. That's just too funny.

Bought a two piece woman dress at one of the shops at the bottom of Airport Plaza once, before going abroad on a two-month job. The clothes were a gift for a friend in the country I was going to work in. Size ended up being slightly wrong unfortunately. Brought the dress with me back to the AP shop when the job had finished and did not have any problems exchanging it for another dress of the correct size.

Bought some other clothes at the same shop a few months later.

Rules are rules, but there are people here also, apparently JIB not included, who understand that providing decent service should not be too much to expect.

Rules are rules, but there are people here also, apparently JIB not included, who understand that providing decent service should not be too much to expect.

After nearly 40 years I finally closed my retail operation because I got tired of people who thought that "decent" service should encompass that I should lose money because of the poor choices of others. Really!?! Sixty days after purchase and you expect every retailer to accept a return?

And addressing the original question, a seller as no legal obligation to accept a return, it is indeed a courtesy service extended by the seller to the buyer. A service much easier to provide in some high margin sectors such as womens clothing (ladies, you are paying through the nose on everything for all those returns) or some household items.

After nearly 40 years I finally closed my retail operation because I got tired of people who thought that "decent" service should encompass that I should lose money because of the poor choices of others. Really!?! Sixty days after purchase and you expect every retailer to accept a return?

And addressing the original question, a seller as no legal obligation to accept a return, it is indeed a courtesy service extended by the seller to the buyer. A service much easier to provide in some high margin sectors such as womens clothing (ladies, you are paying through the nose on everything for all those returns) or some household items.

Actually, there is a quote in this thread saying the seller is required to accept returns under certain terms:

"5. Refunds: Merchants are required to give a full refund to consumers within 15 days after receiving the termination notification. However, in case the merchandise has been damaged by the consumer, the consumer must be responsible for such damage. A description of the goods and services to be excluded from this seven-day delay will be provided by future regulations, as will be the general procedures for returning goods."

This contradicts what you say. Is the quote wrong, or is it you who do not know what you are talking about when you say there is no obligation for the seller to accept a return?

Something tells me that, unlike the shop that had no problems with me exchanging the product I had previously bought, your shop would not see any repeat business from me. Nor would I be recommending your shop to anyone. Rather, I suspect I would tell people to stay far away.

Edited by Awk

Actually, there is a quote in this thread saying the seller is required to accept returns under certain terms:

"5. Refunds: Merchants are required to give a full refund to consumers within 15 days after receiving the termination notification. However, in case the merchandise has been damaged by the consumer, the consumer must be responsible for such damage. A description of the goods and services to be excluded from this seven-day delay will be provided by future regulations, as will be the general procedures for returning goods."

This contradicts what you say. Is the quote wrong, or is it you who do not know what you are talking about when you say there is no obligation for the seller to accept a return?

Something tells me that, unlike the shop that had no problems with me exchanging the product I had previously bought, your shop would not see any repeat business from me. Nor would I be recommending your shop to anyone. Rather, I suspect I would tell people to stay far away.

Oh, and for what it is worth. I did not expect the shop to allow me to exchange the dress after two months. I brought it back with me because I planned going to a tailor and have it adjusted slightly. This adjustment would be much cheaper to do here in CM than in the expensive country I was working in. But I also thought it wouldn't hurt to stop by the shop I had bought the dress in, just on the off chance they would not laugh me out the door. Fortunately, I did not meet the Basil Fawlty of clothing shops, though he does appear to be alive and posting here.

Edited by Awk

Because 1 person had a bad experience at a a JIB shop doesn't make them a bad company. They have many of branches.

I have found JIB [Chiangmai] to be excellent in regards to sales and service.

Especially when it comes to warranty issues and problems with items which sadly I have a few issues.

Just recently my Belkin router packed it in after 20 months. Back to JIB no hastles, they sent it in for repair. Although it took a couple of months I got a new replacement yesterday. Bought at one branch and to to another for warranty. [convenience]

Had them assemble 3 computers over a period of time. Had problems with some components which they sorted out before I got the computer [saved a lot of hastle than if I had assembled it myself]. Bought quite alot of bits and pieces. Can check the prices online.

I have used JIB for many years now because I have found them hastle free. They always get my my return business for that reason.

Everyones experiences are different when it comes to shopping.

Complaint - [i bought something a JIB, a USB stick, and then realized I had made a mistake and bought the wrong one. I tried returning it, before I had ever left the store, and it was a major hassle, and they didn't want to do it, but seemed to do so extremely reluctantly, only because it was brand new, I hadn't left the store yet, and had a receipt.]

Human nature from the saleperson, didn't want to do the paperwork. Did they want a refund or an exhange? Should we take more responsibility in our purchases. Was there a defect with the product? They sold it in good faith.

Overall I have found shopping and return of defective items to be very good here in Thailand.

Be polite, smile

Be firm

Treat the salepeople has human beings. Treat them as you would be expected to be treated.

If you think you are correct stand by your complaint.

Be prepared for a little give and take.

Yelling, screaming, being arrogant, turning a funny colour doesn't seem to help the problem.

Edited by newcomer01

Should be fine if less than 7 days and you pick out another set. They've obliged me in the past on a headset at the Airport Plaza one, but for a full refund, not so sure.

That has been my experience also. If less than 7 days than an exchange of equal or greater value is usually not a problem. If exchanging for a lower value item, odds go down.

Agree. Exchange of items typically no problem. But if trying to get a full cash refund...probability would be pretty low. Now if a large retail outlet, e.g., Big C, Tesco, I have gotten full cash refunds no questions asked.

Getting indignant when I was told I could not get refund for headphones that never worked right out of the box helped me when told no. Full refund came from the manager of electronics dept.

If you don't speak UP they will try to blow you off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to add my experience with a requested product exchange from Banana IT. I bought a windows 8.1 program and later that day realised I should have bought a different product that was more expensive.

My wife called them the following morning and asked if we could exchange the programs as my first purchase was still in the original package and totally untouched i.e. Never unpackaged and never used. We were quite happy to pay the gap payment of about 1000 baht between the two programs.

Banana IT refused any form of exchange at all, supposedly this being company policy even though the original purchase was totally untouched and in the original packaging. Suffice to say I will never use Banana IT again for any purchases.

IT City however were quite happy for me to buy a product and return it if it was incorrect within 7 days, so 10 out of 10 for service.

Bought a memory card at Big Camera after they said it was correct one. It wasn't, went back for a refund. The staff were adamant that I'd see pigs fly before I'd ever see a refund from Big Camera. They were right.