Medical Certificate for retirement visa and related questions

I am getting conflicting advice as to whether or not I need a medical certificate to renew my retirement visa.

I didn't need one last year but that might have been because the immigration god was in a good mood.

Secondly as a map is now required with coordinates, is it acceptable to supply a Google map in black and white?

Is there any different queuing procedure for retirement visas. I understand the 90 day renewals have been "streamlined"

Thanks Gator.

Samui immigrations wants a med certificate from a hospital, no clinic.

Google map with coordinates and address in Thai and English.

They also want house book where you live and if renting copy ID from owner.

Thank you for the replies. However 2 posters say I need one and two posters say I don't.

I am happy to get a certificate if i really need one but am still getting conflicting requirements.

Isn't there any retirees out there who have renewed their visa at the Samui immigration office lately?

Cheers

Gator

Isn't there any retirees out there who have renewed their visa at the Samui immigration office lately?

Read this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776469-morphine-and-amphetamine-tests-now-required-for-retirement-visa/

Thank you PS but the thread you quote is based on just one report back on 14th Nov 2014.

I am sure that there have been other renewals since then and would really like to know how others have fared.

Samui immigrations wants a med certificate from a hospital, no clinic.

Google map with coordinates and address in Thai and English.

They also want house book where you live and if renting copy ID from owner.

Thank you for the replies. However 2 posters say I need one and two posters say I don't.

I am happy to get a certificate if i really need one but am still getting conflicting requirements.

Cheers

Gator

Gator, if possible, why not make a recon trip to immigration office to confirm requirements?

I have often people in my shop waiting for their papers to be processed by immigration. Many complaints, mainly about the long wait and the Google map requirement, but none of them was asked for a health certificate. One showed me a paper from immigration listing the requirements for her retirement extension, a health certificate was not mentioned.

Seems to be another 'birdman special' only for selected customers.wink.png

My neighbour extended his retirement visa last week and did not have to produce a medical letter.

However birdman gave him the runaround and managed to make him waste half a day. Letter from bank and copy pages of the bankbook not acceptable. Birdman wants to see the original.)

My neighbour extended his retirement visa last week and did not have to produce a medical letter.

However birdman gave him the runaround and managed to make him waste half a day. Letter from bank and copy pages of the bankbook not acceptable. Birdman wants to see the original.)

You must always produce the original . He used to do all the copying, I made it easier for him by copying every page of bank book since last year & signed, but still attach bank book .

Did my renewal last week. No health certificate needed. I had copies of every page of my bank book and house book but he still wanted to take his own copies again. You have to go in person now as he also takes a photo of you in his office. No hassles with the documents but took all morning so take a book. When I got there he made me wait an hour and a half before even looking at anything. He then dragged things out for another hour wandering off a few times for a smoke ro to chat with other people coming in. Once he seemed to have done everything and stamped my passport he told me to wait in the next room. He then set off for lunch but luckily I know one of the girls working there and she found my passport for me and as everything had been done I could leave. He just seems to enjoy being able to jerk people around and make you waste your time. He kept 100 baht change but otherwise no financial rip off.

This is the latest I received.Pretty much the same as before.

Clarification re extensions based on retirement:

Samui immigration currently advise residents seeking to renew their stay as follows:

- Income: Applicants should bring their original updated bank book showing the required amount & bank letter or a letter from their Embassy (The ‘Combo’ method wasn't mentioned but presumably applies as usual)

- Address: Applicants should bring their original housebook or original copy of rental agreement clearly stating where they live.

- Home location: Applicants should include a Google earth (or similar) map showing where they live including the GPS coordinates.

The above update supersedes anything seen online so far this year and was accurate @ 17 Feb 15.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, keep pressing the send button! Anyway due to conflicting reports I went ahead and obtained a medical cert which consisted of Blood pressure,weight, check of chest with stethoscope and a couple of Q and A's. Took 5 minutes and cost 150 Baht.

This was in Feb so the rules may have changed yet again. A chest X-ray will certainly increase costs considerably.

However, all the requirements are extremely fluid and dependant on mood swings.

Sorry, keep pressing the send button! Anyway due to conflicting reports I went ahead and obtained a medical cert which consisted of Blood pressure,weight, check of chest with stethoscope and a couple of Q and A's. Took 5 minutes and cost 150 Baht.

This was in Feb so the rules may have changed yet again. A chest X-ray will certainly increase costs considerably.

However, all the requirements are extremely fluid and dependant on mood swings.

Had to get it from Nathon Hospital, the only place they accepted. Waste of time & overtaxing the already busy hospital.

I don't think that a notice in the immigration office will help as the rules are fluid.

In any case if you are seeking an extension are you going to do battle with Birdy regarding HIS requirements?

It would be brave of you, particularly if your future depends on obtaining the stamp!

• 1 month later...

Here is another experience from a member, he sent me the info:

This was my experience recently. You’re welcome to post it on Samui & Imm pages in the hope that others may find it useful & in some cases stop worrying J

With Regards,

Current trends at Samui Immigration when renewing extensions based on retirement:

Anyone due to renew shortly could make the practice a little easier by preparing the following:

1. Their duly completed TM 47 including a new photo.

2. Copies of their bio (photo page) and entry pages of passport & departure card.

3. A satellite map showing coordinates and a neat ruled line pointing to their property.

4. Copies of rental agreement, house book & landlords ID where applicable.

5. Embassy letter & a rough idea re current exchange rate.

6. Redacted online bank statement(s) reflecting activity consistent with their visa status.

7. The correct fee (THB 1,900).

By avoiding the usual choke points & adhering to normal rules re ‘Govt Building’ you’ll be served and on your way in under an hour.

I take #5 is if you're doing your retirement funding via pension and not the 800k in the bank?

I suppose that is what the member that filed the report is doing.

Just be aware, that if you are going the 800 K route it might be beneficial to also ask for a year statement from the bank. I know every page of the bank book since last renewal is copied & you must sign, I just heard from other offices that they also require this. Takes 2 minutes for them to print it & stamp it. Any extra validation doesn't go astray.

I take #5 is if you're doing your retirement funding via pension and not the 800k in the bank?

I suppose that is what the member that filed the report is doing.

Just be aware, that if you are going the 800 K route it might be beneficial to also ask for a year statement from the bank. I know every page of the bank book since last renewal is copied & you must sign, I just heard from other offices that they also require this. Takes 2 minutes for them to print it & stamp it. Any extra validation doesn't go astray.

Yes, that would be correct, on the 800,000 baht way, a letter from the bank, also, and it seems to me Khun Nok, made photo copies of each page of my bank book last year.... (more photo copy fees!) and checked it throughly....

I have managed to use the same photo for about three years now... But have run out now, so will have to get new one this year! I am not so young and handsum any more whistling.gif

You don't need the exchange rate for the latter. Edited by evadgib