Farangs need to pass "Thainess" course to get teacher license

Thaivisa News

A German english teacher in bangkok,always says to the class,,,, We have vays und means to teach you English,Nicht Wahr ? vos ist your name und Wehr do you come from ?

You must speak Thai,and be a native English speaker to teach English Period ( and not with an accent )

I believe it's already been established that you have no idea what you're talking about! facepalm.gif

If thats the case,you have no need to answer,Nicht Wahr?

A German english teacher in bangkok,always says to the class,,,, We have vays und means to teach you English,Nicht Wahr ? vos ist your name und Wehr do you come from ?

You must speak Thai,and be a native English speaker to teach English Period ( and not with an accent )

I believe it's already been established that you have no idea what you're talking about! facepalm.gif

If thats the case,you have no need to answer,Nicht Wahr?

I komm von Old Heidelberg, which was a tremendous place to live before the banks took it over. Maybe Heidelberg will be mentioned in the Thainess course...

What a fantastic stadt , Love it Great food great uni The Thais will think Heidelberg is a Hill covered with heather :)

It's a culture course, not a language course. There should be no requirement to speak Thai if you're teaching English, in fact the classroom should have a strict "English only" rule to be effective. Your GF's son's teacher may indeed be hopeless, but it may be more to do with the students than the teacher!

What a load of crap,,,,Try and get a teaching job in the UK or Germany without being able to speak the local lingo. Just trying to keep your job?

TEFL teachers work throughout Europe without the need to speak the local language. Every school I have worked in has forbidden me from speaking Thai with the children.

I gotta admit, that's pretty tough, especially when the only language that 98% of those kid's speak is Thai. Sure, they can say, "Hello Teacher.", but then again, so can both my dogs. What a joke. The only way I can get a 'level one' rank beginner Thai speaker with no English language skills actually conversing in English is to explain English grammatical and pronunciation concepts using the Thai language. If you can't read, write, and speak Thai to get the base concepts across to students who are functionally English illiterate, you're just adding to the problem. Like I said before, nothing is going to change until Thailand starts to loose major large chunks of market share to countries who can run their business units using English as their base language. Hubris and nationalism. What a waste.

Take a TEFL course and you will learn how to do it.

Sorry, I just have to disagree with you. By understanding the native language, you can develop curriculum and teaching methods that directly address the stregths and weaknesses of the foreign native that is attempting to learn the English lanauge. But that actually takes a lot of work and analysis. Much more that taking a couple of hours to read a chapter out of whatever English language textbox you employer hands you and then scribbling out something that resembles a lesson plan before you head out with the boyz to knock back a few brews before teaching the next day.

Oh, and I did take my TEFL course back in the mid 2000s; about 20 years after I was formally teaching and developing curriculum in Computer Systems Engineering. I started teaching English in Thailand after I formally retired. If the disorganziation of your post is any indication of your teaching methodologies, then I completely understand your problem. I've been around the block a few times; you don't want to compare yourself to me. You'll lose. So that's it for me on this thread: end of comments.

• Like 2

It's a culture course, not a language course. There should be no requirement to speak Thai if you're teaching English, in fact the classroom should have a strict "English only" rule to be effective. Your GF's son's teacher may indeed be hopeless, but it may be more to do with the students than the teacher!

What a load of crap,,,,Try and get a teaching job in the UK or Germany without being able to speak the local lingo. Just trying to keep your job?

TEFL teachers work throughout Europe without the need to speak the local language. Every school I have worked in has forbidden me from speaking Thai with the children.

I gotta admit, that's pretty tough, especially when the only language that 98% of those kid's speak is Thai. Sure, they can say, "Hello Teacher.", but then again, so can both my dogs. What a joke. The only way I can get a 'level one' rank beginner Thai speaker with no English language skills actually conversing in English is to explain English grammatical and pronunciation concepts using the Thai language. If you can't read, write, and speak Thai to get the base concepts across to students who are functionally English illiterate, you're just adding to the problem. Like I said before, nothing is going to change until Thailand starts to loose major large chunks of market share to countries who can run their business units using English as their base language. Hubris and nationalism. What a waste.

Take a TEFL course and you will learn how to do it.

Sorry, I just have to disagree with you. By understanding the native language, you can develop curriculum and teaching methods that directly address the stregths and weaknesses of the foreign native that is attempting to learn the English lanauge. But that actually takes a lot of work and analysis. Much more that taking a couple of hours to read a chapter out of whatever English language textbox you employer hands you and then scribbling out something that resembles a lesson plan before you head out with the boyz to knock back a few brews before teaching the next day.

Oh, and I did take my TEFL course back in the mid 2000s; about 20 years after I was formally teaching and developing curriculum in Computer Systems Engineering. I started teaching English in Thailand after I formally retired. If the disorganziation of your post is any indication of your teaching methodologies, then I completely understand your problem. I've been around the block a few times; you don't want to compare yourself to me. You'll lose. So that's it for me on this thread: end of comments.

Old school!

Qualified English Language Teachers never use the local Language in class. Teachers travel all round the world teaching English. They are not expected to know the language of all their students. They are expected to be familiar with and sensitive to the cultural values of their students.

Yes and the moon is made of cream cheese

If you study language acquisition theory, you'll discover we all learn language the same way. We get enough understandable input, production comes naturally. No need to over think this one. The input hypothesis is simple but most "learned" language educators muck it up.

Qualified English Language Teachers never use the local Language in class. Teachers travel all round the world teaching English. They are not expected to know the language of all their students. They are expected to be familiar with and sensitive to the cultural values of their students.

After what I have been told today,I am no longer supprised at teachers working for a 30,000 Thai bt per month,

Yes it seems that a few ( I stress not all, and not my words ) are very familiar with the sensitive,and cultural values of their students!!

Again, the English language became the official second language of the Kingdom in 1852. That is 75-years before the British even began to mandate ESL in their own colonies of Burma, Malaya (Malaysia) and Singapore. If Thais haven't managed to collectively gain, even a "working" ability to speak the English language, by 2015 in Bangkok (a top 20-globally rated International metropolis), then the MOE English teaching programs of the Kingdom, are apparently an exercise in beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu .

The grandest farce is where there are foreign ESL teachers, who cannot speak a word of the Thai language, yet they are assigned to teach Primary level students. Huh? whistling.gif

The PM stated several months ago, that in order to clean-up the corruption within the LOS system, it was necessary to begin from the bottom-up. I knew then, either that bloke is totally full-of-it, or he doesn't have the remotest clue. Apparently, cluelessness (regarding the future, coming reality of the ASEAN community) is pervasive across the entire monopoly board of this Kingdom.A true sociological tragedy (for the average Thai), is definitely in the making.

Farang teachers of the LOS should just play the "Thainess" game, collect their 30K-40K Bht/mo. (skimmed-off the top) salary, while enjoying their working holiday, in the LOS. The MOE Merry-Go-Round establishment, will not change, and is nothing more than a total waste of time, effort and energy for any dedicated foreign educator. Just the facts!coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Excellent, they can show us how to consistently achieve the lowest rankings in SE Asia and how to cheat on our teachers entry exams.

It is a dumb policy for certain. However your post is off topic. If it were not off topic it would simply be uninformed trash and mischaracterization.

Again, the English language became the official second language of the Kingdom in 1852. That is 75-years before the British even began to mandate ESL in their own colonies of Burma, Malaya (Malaysia) and Singapore. If Thais haven't managed to collectively gain, even a "working" ability to speak the English language, by 2015 in Bangkok (a top 20-globally rated International metropolis), then the MOE English teaching programs of the Kingdom, are apparently an exercise in beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu .

The grandest farce is where there are foreign ESL teachers, who cannot speak a word of the Thai language, yet they are assigned to teach Primary level students. Huh? whistling.gif

The PM stated several months ago, that in order to clean-up the corruption within the LOS system, it was necessary to begin from the bottom-up. I knew then, either that bloke is totally full-of-it, or he doesn't have the remotest clue. Apparently, cluelessness (regarding the future, coming reality of the ASEAN community) is pervasive across the entire monopoly board of this Kingdom.A true sociological tragedy (for the average Thai), is definitely in the making.

Farang teachers of the LOS should just play the "Thainess" game, collect their 30K-40K Bht/mo. (skimmed-off the top) salary, while enjoying their working holiday, in the LOS. The MOE Merry-Go-Round establishment, will not change, and is nothing more than a total waste of time, effort and energy for any dedicated foreign educator. Just the facts!coffee1.gif

You seem to be reacting as if Thailand has a failing education system, as opposed to the reality that is a highly successful indoctrination system. All they need to learn is sanuk, sabai sabai and mai bpen lai. No more room at the trough, sorry.

Once you recognise this, everything in Thailand makes perfect sense.