What internet connections / cable tv do you have in your home in Issan?

ghworker2010

We live in a city in Isaan- in a town house 5 min from the centre of town near the rice fields…..

I raised the thread below re true cable honeymoon period ending

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/800013-true-cable-honeymoon-period-finished-whats-the-alternative/

I am writing this new thread to ask any members living in issan about their respective internet connection / cable tv options.

A comment on the above thread suggested that Maige internet tv might be a viable option. Richard B reviewed Maige….

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/09/my-experience-of-using-maige-internet-tv-in-thailand/

If you live in Isaan in similar circumstances to me and can offer advice on what internet speed you have at home etc I would be interested to read your comments.

Currently at home I connect my apple mac laptop to my dtac phone via the ‘portable wifi hotspot’ function. Presumably if I were to want Maige tv I would have to subscribe to a better internet package?

What set up do you have in your humble home in Isan? Do you have cable? In my opinion thb1567 per month for true is over priced...

Many thanks

I might just be lucky,.

We live 1.3 km from a country road where electric power and fiber optic cables run along.

Two district towns are both about 16 km away.

For a year we got a ToT DSL with 7 Mbit/s package. Can not remember the installation cost (quite moderate).

Then after a year or so we simply went to the ToT office and asked for availability of something faster.

A: Fibre to the home is available, but you have to pay for the installation/new cable (more than 600 m or so).

25000 Baht in total (incl. equipment and setup at home).

Ouch!

But it was my birthday, so I ordered and quickly got connected with 20/2 Mbit/s.

A couple of days ago (another year over) I asked for the new faster and cheaper packages.

-> 30 Mbit down/ 3 Mbit up, 1200 Baht/month,

No problem. Switch over was done the next day.

TV: I use a German language IPTV offer ("GlobalTV.to").

Not for you, but there is similar for English language (ExPatTV ?).

So many options for IPTV. Many threads exist.

For the first few months in Thailand I used True Vision via satellite.

With the fast internet it is "history".

Both of my satellite dishes are dead.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I live in a small village near Chatturat. We got 3BB internet and WiFi installed less than a year ago. I forget the max distance before you have to pay for installation, but they came and ran a line, apparently fibre optic, . from the main road to our home (guessing 300m). I believe we have a one year contract and as a result, did not have to pay for the installation. WiFi router is included 963 baht including VAT It is not the slowest or the fastest and I cannot find the info on the bill. I believe it is 30 Mb/3MB, Anyway, I watch live TV from Canada (Limited) and movies from Netflix. Also use it for FaceTime and Line video calls and it works well. Only problem sometimes is hooking up to VPN's in other countries, but eventually they connect.

I have TOT & 3BB DSL, both 15/1 packages.

Regardless of what speed you have intra Thailand, if you are wanting International connectivity, it's going to be 5-10M, so paying for much more than 20M is really throwing money down the Internet drain.

That being said, all of them have days, weeks when they are absolutely basket cases. The alignment of the stars or whatever seems to ensure that they don't tend to go down the toilet at the same time...hence thats why I have both

I use my Internet primarily for TV. I have Roku & AppleTV from the US, and I use a NowTV box from the UK, coupled with a DNS routing service from Unotelly

Edited by GinBoy2

I live 12 kms from the nearest small town in Sakon........we are in the jungle but we have wi fi from TOT...5400 bht to install and its 640 baht a month unlimited use..no problems what so ever and quick.......and it seems most of the village enjoys our wi fi as well......most nights have 20-30 youths hanging around my land...never had so many friends.....then I realised its my wi fi they like.....not me.....555

• Like 1

Nice to hear that you got your fibre connection up and running KhunBENQ, was there much of a waiting list on it?

At present I'm living in Bangkok, but will return to RoiEt in a couple of months, our house there just has 3BB ADSL at the moment, but I'll probably look into replacing that with fibre (Which hopefully won't cost too much for the installation, since we're living on the outskirts of our local Amphur town, so shouldn't require too much more than what ToT provide for free).

I previously had True Visions, didn't use it a huge amount though, but then one day it had a problem so we called True and asked them to send someone out to fix it. We then went overseas for a month, with our Mother in Law at home, but they didn't come to fix it. When we got back, it still wasn't working, so my wife called them again, then when the next bill came in (about 2 months after we initially called), I decided to call them. I asked for a credit, since they hadn't fixed it (yet still charged us), they didn't give me one, so I cancelled the account (Wasn't too fussed about it, as I don't watch a lot of TV anyway, just got it for the rugby, which was rarely on anyway).

WE live 25k from Sakon Nakhon. True satellite TV. Excellent reception, very few if any issues. 3BB cable internet. No issues, except it could be a bit faster, but ok.

I don't have any real complaints with either.

Cheers..... Mal.

Now on the outskirts of Ubon city.

I don't consider the True Visions satellite TV gold package at 1568 baht a month overpriced for what I get. I am getting more now than I started with over 2 years ago and didn't get any 6 month deal.

Back when we had UBC up in the village it was about the same price for a lot less channels. Decided back then it was not worth it.

I now have 3BB internet and happy with it.

Live in Korat and have following to my home--

TOT land line phone and DSL CABLE-587 baht

3BB fiber optic cable about 1200 baht

True satellite-platinum plus a couple of additional channels 2364 baht

I Consider the cost for all to be reasonable.

Lefty

Live in the sticks on the Mukdahan, Roi-et, Kalasin border. Have TOT extended WiFi ฿706 a month VAT included, real speed about 5 down and less than 1 up, but very erratic, a friend called me on Line once and I was amazed at the quality of the call, but he lives in Thailand, any calls to Canada are very iffy. It seems to go down about every three or four months for no reason and the service is terrible. I also use True 3G-H on my phone for back-up. Works quite well most places, but at my actual home depending where in the house I am it can be iffy. Costs ฿299 a month for 100 minutes of calls (which I never use) and 500 mbs, and then it is throttled back, but I seldom use all of that and the throttled back speed is okay, if you aren't downloading music or movies. If you have a choice between TOT and another company, take the other company. Unfortunately I don't have a choice.

Edited by Issangeorge