Australian traveller tells of his holiday nightmare in Thailand

george

Plus he cut his leg when he slipped and fell in the rain.

During the wet season or heavy rain there is the added risk of infection from all the crap washed up from the sewers. Heaven knows what he might have got inside those cuts.

When I had an open would on my foot I had to attend hospital every day to have it cleaned and dressed in the wet season. They did warn then about the high risk of infection from the water in the streets.

• Like 1

I mentioned to some slow one a few weeks back when he said you don't need Travel insurance, that to travel without insurance you are either brain dead or an idiot , it is easy to have an accident, probably the most common are twisted ankles or broken ones, with all those smooth flat pavements footpaths that span Thailand's cities and towns. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

i always have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide at the house and with me when i travel.

just pore it all over a wound like water. very cheap. end of problem.

18 baht at Boots for a small bottle that fits in your pocket.

no sir - not always the end of the problem - you could have a nasty shock too.

• Like 1

Travel insurance is the moral of the story.

Isn't travel insurance void during martial law?

Do you honestly think no one has been able to make a claim on his travel insurance since the coup took place? Or during any of the previous coups?

Obviously you need to buy coverage specific for travel that includes Thailand and that would not exclude personal accidents or illnesses unrelated to political unrest. You need to choose insurance that suits your travel needs, not just rely on something you may get if you use a certain credit card or brand of sun-blocker.

Am I still covered by my travel insurance?

Usually the imposition of martial law, or the usurping of power by the military, would invoke an exclusion clause in your policy – all bets are off. ...

At Travel Insurance Direct we think not, therefore we’re not applying the exclusion. We’re continuing to cover you as normal. Remember though, even before martial law was imposed you would not be covered for anything that happened to you if you went and sought out the protests and got involved. That still applies. Don’t deliberately involve yourself in the unrest.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/travel-news/martial-law-in-thailand-travellers-questions-answered/story-fnjjv9zn-1226924230435

....and here in the jungle, several days away from the nearest help, even the smallest scratch can quickly turn into a major infection ...... paying attention to any open wounds, no matter how small and at every opportunity must be a routine and regular procedure ....... No-one watch NatGeo??? ;-)

• Like 1

the moral of the story is to be aware of the dangers of the Thai healthcare system........... don't think because someone is wearing a white coat or they have modernist armchairs and a fish tank that these people are either trained to the standards you expect or even have the same ethics..........this is NOT just local clinics, this applies to major hospitals as well.

Whoever did that stitching needs to go back to their old job - making handbags

You might be right about local clinics, but the standard of care at hospitals in Bangkok is second to none.

Absolute and complete and utter nonsense!

what are you basing your concept on? You went to one and had a "great experience"? - Im sorry but that isn't sufficient.

• Like 2