Dowry / sinsod - how do I legally bring the money to Thailand?

landrews33

Rural Farmers They just hit the Jackpot with 500,000 Sin Sod My good sir. No one other than someone who does NOT understand Thai

culture pays 500,000 Sin sod for a country girl. Someone coming from a well healed City Girl with rich parents then maybe you will pay 500,000.

I feel very sorry for you . You will be married for a couple of years and then presto The girl has done her job and you she will finish with you

This is what a lot of farm girls do is get money for their poor family by what ever means possible. If you said 100,00 ok or if you said 200,000 then that would be a stretch but acceptable but this is a farmer and their daughter not a rich girls family.

I feel sorry for you I have lived here 12 years and rarely if ever hear about a 500,000 baht sin sod

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of negative comments about the amount. I can't say either way unless you met her in a bar, in which case it's madness. But if she is a decent well educated girl who you happen to love then it may be about right.

Why can't you send the money to your own Thailand bank account, then withdraw it in cash. 500K is not a huge pile of notes.

I have agreed to a dowry of TB 500,000

I hope you get a written guarantee for that kind of money laugh.png

Yes - I worry about it all. You know, if I am being scammed etc.

I paid US 10,000 for my first Thai wife's family. They used it to build mom a new house and feed her and never asked me for more. I brought some cash and the rest in AmEx Travel checks - good thing since one of the guests had sticky fingers.

This time my fiancée's family will pay all the wedding costs, and they seem like good hearted people. I just fret over how to do the money transaction.

This is a troll post, no one in his right mind would be serious.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Rural Farmers They just hit the Jackpot with 500,000 Sin Sod My good sir. No one other than someone who does NOT understand Thai

culture pays 500,000 Sin sod for a country girl. Someone coming from a well healed City Girl with rich parents then maybe you will pay 500,000.

I feel very sorry for you . You will be married for a couple of years and then presto The girl has done her job and you she will finish with you

This is what a lot of farm girls do is get money for their poor family by what ever means possible. If you said 100,00 ok or if you said 200,000 then that would be a stretch but acceptable but this is a farmer and their daughter not a rich girls family.

I feel sorry for you I have lived here 12 years and rarely if ever hear about a 500,000 baht sin sod

Not even a hiso city girl. My wife's family are and not only did they say no to sin sod but they paid a million towards the wedding.....mind you about 90% of the people there were their guests who I'd never met before.

I have agreed to a dowry of TB 500,000

I hope you get a written guarantee for that kind of money laugh.png

Yes - I worry about it all. You know, if I am being scammed etc.

I paid US 10,000 for my first Thai wife's family. They used it to build mom a new house and feed her and never asked me for more. I brought some cash and the rest in AmEx Travel checks - good thing since one of the guests had sticky fingers.

This time my fiancée's family will pay all the wedding costs, and they seem like good hearted people. I just fret over how to do the money transaction.

This is a troll post, no one in his right mind would be serious.

I don't disagree...... but he isn't the first.

Obviously a man with more money than he knows what to do with and more money than sense.

A dowry went out a long time ago for most people I know and all of them could have paid one if stupid enough to do so. Should there be an agreement to repay the money to your wife, once married, then maybe you would be happy with that?

As far as the OP's question is concerned there are many ways to transfer the money to Thailand. a Foreign Currency Deposit Account is very easy to set up and you still have control over YOUR money. If you insist on proceeding with your profligate payment then do it on a drip feed basis. However, testing the genuineness of your wife to be by cancelling the agreement would be a good start. If she really wants to marry you then it should not change her mind.

Try making a list of all the things your money will be spent on it might give you a shock.

Second thoughts after the event can be very sobering and ask yourself if you would do the same in your home country? Look forward to your answer!

Prior to opening an account at Bangkok Bank for US transfers, I brought $15000 in $100 bills, into Thailand on one trip. Did not try an conceal it. Bought a travelers wallet that you wear, on the inside of your pants. Put it inside my carry on bag, before entering security line. After x-ray, went into restroom stall put it on. No problems.

Obviously a man with more money than he knows what to do with and more money than sense.

A dowry went out a long time ago for most people I know and all of them could have paid one if stupid enough to do so. Should there be an agreement to repay the money to your wife, once married, then maybe you would be happy with that?

As far as the OP's question is concerned there are many ways to transfer the money to Thailand. a Foreign Currency Deposit Account is very easy to set up and you still have control over YOUR money. If you insist on proceeding with your profligate payment then do it on a drip feed basis. However, testing the genuineness of your wife to be by cancelling the agreement would be a good start. If she really wants to marry you then it should not change her mind.

Try making a list of all the things your money will be spent on it might give you a shock.

Second thoughts after the event can be very sobering and ask yourself if you would do the same in your home country? Look forward to your answer!

A man with no bargaining power, like so many others before him.

A man who needs to pay for a wife, not paying is not an option.

OP states he is worried, he will have 500,000 reason to worry, and thats just the start of the end.

Bringing in money to pay a drollery payment is not only dumb but plain stupid. Don't waste your money in Thailand over

some female's wish to give money away to family members. If she loves you, forget about giving money. Put the money into good use like a Condominium where you can have your own name on the title. Remember on average, most Thai Farang Marriages do not last long. Most fail leaving the man pennies to the dollar. Be smart don't be stupid to this money owed to

the family. Times have changed, most marriages do not follow old traditions.

Prior to opening an account at Bangkok Bank for US transfers, I brought $15000 in $100 bills, into Thailand on one trip. Did not try an conceal it. Bought a travelers wallet that you wear, on the inside of your pants. Put it inside my carry on bag, before entering security line. After x-ray, went into restroom stall put it on. No problems.

Unless you declared it to US Customs, and filled out the form, you were VERY lucky no to get caught at departure. You likely would have caught jail time (federal), and definitely would have lost the cash.

DON'T DO THIS.

landrews33,

Before you pay anything please check into a good private hospital and have your mental health checked.

If the family will not accept you without a huge cash payment they will not think twice about getting rid of you when the time comes.

If your future wife will not accept you without a huge cash payment does she/he really want you?

I am married to a good Thai lady and I have showed her your post, it is her opinion that payments like this are old fashion and not the norm in modern Thai culture within genuine Thai families.

Please sit back and rethink before doing something you later regret.

You guys are amazing. It is not your money so what he does with his is no concern of yours. He asked how to bring it in not for the slagging off of old bitter cheap charlie keyboard warriors. If he is happy to pay then up to him. Has he asked you all if he can borrow the money???? Then keep your slagging off to yourselves and get back to your bar stools.

Edited by callaway

Read Siam Commercial lawyer website for guidance re. dowry payments. To put it honestly, they basically say, why should a farang pay more for a Thai girl than a Thai man and that makes sense. I married a girl 5 years ago (she was then 25 y.o. with a child) who left school aged 12 y.o. with the poorest family in Thailand in tow. B300k later and a having for 41/2 years fought drunkeness, drugs and ultimately a Thai boyfriend, I gave up on her recently. The point is the family would/should have been ecstatic with 30/50k. GET REAL or at least weigh up the whole deal. Yes, a very HISO, good family etc., maybe worth big bucks but be very, very wary of a 'poor' girl (no prospects) especially with child/children involved, that's a big negative(financially) for Thai men and it should be for us Farang also. Sorry to say it again but GET REAL.

What are you talking about? If you are a Thai man with money and you marry a girl here, you pay sinsod! It can be any amount that the man can afford to pay. If they don't have money then they don't pay. Just like in any Country! If you have some money you pay for a lavish wedding and if you don't you have the wedding at the local Fire Department Hall. They serve chicken wings and salad in giant troughs.

I personally know of several Thai men who paid 400K sinsod and built a house for the women. It is a custom here and only if you don't have money is it not done. Farangs like to say it does not happen with Thai men but they are wrong!!

Most farang men have some money and can pay something. I gave 100K Thai Bt to the mom and dad and paid for the wedding which cost about 200K. So all in all less than 10,000 dollars. If I married her in the U.S. I would have paid about 20K for the wedding alone. The trolls who don't want to pay some respect to the family are doomed to be slugs in the marriage and most likely will end in divorce. Cheap ba$tards I call them.

Find a wife in your own country and tell me what it would cost you to get married. If you had some money and wanted to have the reception in a Fire Hall I doubt very much if the bride would be very happy. Come on think about and what this costs you...its peanuts unless you are destitute people and why are you getting married if you don't have anything?????

It's not that uncommon to pay the brides familiy. A friend of mine will merry his girlfriend this weekend, he has to pay her familiy 400000 Baht and 4 Baht in Gold. They are both thais, middlesclass, in Bangkok, not in some rural northeast village. Lots of possibilities to send or bring the money.