massive power surge happening now - turn everything off

My water pump was clacking, aircon unit bleeping, computer UPS clattering, then my monitor power supply went bang and I checked the voltage. 330 volts and drifting between 280 and 350, but dropped as low as 140V for a few minutes.

Amazing Samui

Edited by robsamui

Mae Nam - apologies, I should have realised that these things tend to be localised!

At the time of writing - 1:00 pm - the supply has been at 222v for the last few minutes.

Maybe some kind of spectacular maintenance work? Too nearly timed to have been random, I think . . .

OOPS - back up to 340v again . . . my room fan is going at 200 MPH . . .

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

13:46 and it's hovering around the 300 - 320v mark and I've unplugged everything again.

It even had a bit of a thump down to 120v for about 5 minutes!

(At least I know that my computer's UPS works - the monitor that went down was the only thing not running off it!)

So much for the proud boasts that Samui is sorted out power-wise for the next decade.

R

Resolved - a local thing! Seems like some yokel with a chainsaw dropped a coconut tree onto a power post and ripped half a dozen wires out. He then went ahead and joined the wires back again somehow (!) but got the wrong pairs connected.

Result? Some houses no power at all and some running crazy-high. Mine topped out at over 380 volts several times.

Neighbours report blown computers, bulbs, power supplies, transformers etc etc. All fixed by 18:00 hours.

R

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Maret I checked yesterday, because my washing machine behaved madly.

Hardly 190 V sometimes 170 V, (move constantly) it caused problems with the microwave and air conditionner too, I guess the programmes hate the current drop as well, probably less dangerous than you 340 V story ( incredible) blink.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm perhaps why one of my batteries on charge died the same day ... Where to buy a surge protector for my laptop on samui?

Maybe a bit late but saw they had some for sale in family mart lamai near pavillion.

So maybe other family marts across the island have them too?

I have a trifield meter (AC and Natural) and was thinking I should be walking a bit and checking. I was walking along a road a few days ago and heard the strangest insect noises. I turned off the ipod and realized it was the power lines. No transformers or anything nearby. I continued walking... and continued hearing an exceptionally loud crackling noise. It was like static though loud- I crossed the street. Perhaps it was the same time. And this was Mae Nam. I am not an electric guru but I do believe electric fields can really cause problems- yes, without touching them! :-)

I turned off the ipod and realized it was the power lines

In many instances, the noise is coming from cracked insulators - it causes unnecessary radio interference to equipment such as ham radios, and legally (in the UK, USA etc), must be rectified by the electricity company.

Unfortunately, in Thailand, the PEA doesn't seem to give a toss about replacing noisy insulators - my ham radio hobby can be very frrustrating sad.png