The 16 most dangerous places for female travellers

webfact

The 16 most dangerous places for female travellers
Oliver Wheaton

LONDON: -- The ongoing struggle for gender equality has taken a further blow after the most dangerous countries for female travellers has been revealed.

Some countries many holiday makers long for have dark records of foreign women being harassed and sometimes even abused on the streets.

Exotic locations such as India, Moscow and Colombia were all included on the list of locations with the most unsafe transport systems for women created by YouGov.

However London and New York both featured in the top 16 as well.

Experts say that while people expect these attitudes towards women in countries such as India, holiday makers travelling to places such as Morocco and Turkey should also exercise caution.

The full list of most unsafe cities for women to travel in is:

1. Bogota, Colombia
2. Mexico City
3. Lima, Peru
4. New Delhi
5. Jakarta, Indonesia
6. Buenos Aires, Argentina
7. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8. Bangkok

Full story: http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/22/revealed-the-most-dangerous-places-for-female-travellers-5074010/

-- METRO 2015-02-23

This is the full list:

1. Bogota, Colombia

2. Mexico City

3. Lima, Peru

4. New Delhi

5. Jakarta, Indonesia

8. Bangkok

9. Moscow

10. Manila, Philippines

11. Paris

12. Seoul, South Korea

13. London

14. Beijing

15. Tokyo

16. New York

Paris? London? NYC? Tokyo????? Hard to believe.

Good point. Women flock to those four cities in droves.

London being on the list does not surprise me. Even I never felt safe travelling on public transport in London, especially after dark.

As for Bangkok, I think it depends in which areas of the city. Some districts are safer than others. Regarding New York, that city was never considered safe back even 50 years ago and I can only imagine that it`s got worse since then.

But I still feel safer in Thailand more than I ever did in the United States and in Britain.

• Like 2

True nonsense. Read the original story and see that the author cites no meaningful source for this "Most unsafe" list. When spouting alleged facts the author can't name a source but says "experts say...", and then adds the opinion of a co-owner of a women's travel website as a source for his story. The only credible sounding source he quotes is YouGov but information from this source is limited to the most unsafe transport systems for women.

If I were this writer's editor he would be out of a job. Hell, I'd fire myself for allowing this garbage to be published.

Edited by EPICFAIL
  • Like 2

This is the full list:

1. Bogota, Colombia

2. Mexico City

3. Lima, Peru

4. New Delhi

5. Jakarta, Indonesia

8. Bangkok

9. Moscow

10. Manila, Philippines

11. Paris

12. Seoul, South Korea

13. London

14. Beijing

15. Tokyo

16. New York

I stopped at Bogota... Having lived there, I know this article is crap...

Does anyone think that maybe, just maybe, the likes of Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc are not exactly high up on the average holidaymaker's agenda, and that the list includes places people actually go to?

thats why these countries should be pointed first by the finger1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-LbP_e , because there are so creasyly unsafe for the female that they almost travel to other less unsafe place......drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEEfKmimwR

This is the full list:

1. Bogota, Colombia

2. Mexico City

3. Lima, Peru

4. New Delhi

5. Jakarta, Indonesia

8. Bangkok

9. Moscow

10. Manila, Philippines

11. Paris

12. Seoul, South Korea

13. London

14. Beijing

15. Tokyo

16. New York

considering that tokyo is one of the safest cities in the world as reported on the net one month ago.

London on the list and not LA? Feel unsafe walking around the latter any time of day. Who are these 'experts', by the way, and was this article penned by a 10-year old? I'm no grammar police, but when someone goes to the trouble of writing an article, you at least get your prose in order.

I'd post the reason obvious Muslim-friendly places places (whistling.gif) like Kabul and Damascus are not included is because these are not considered holiday destinations.

• Like 1

Does anyone think that maybe, just maybe, the likes of Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc are not exactly high up on the average holidaymaker's agenda, and that the list includes places people actually go to?

Would the South American capitals listed be high up on the average holiday makers agenda then?

One of the reasons the Philippines isn't much bigger in tourism is that its a dangerous place.

Quite surprised Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia is ahead of Bangkok

That's because you're a guy. Foreign women are habitually leered at and harassed, especially those showing a bit of flesh - and I don't mean the trailer trash type. Far worse than Thailand by a country mile -

And you should see the abuse that Thai women get - as far as Malaysian's are concerned - they're all hookers.

Bangkok on the list? I'm not shocked - an attractive, western, female friend of mine was harassed there last month. To be fair in this case it was a Japanese guy that was coming on strong, way over the top.

You'll note the list doesn't say that it's Thais that are doing the harassing - somewhere like Bangkok has more than it's fair share of weirdo foreigners that are in the city for the sole purpose of using women. I'm not excusing Thais - I'm pointing at a gap in the survey, that's all.

I'll also add that any Thai woman knows the clear and present danger of being alone at night in this country. That's why they'll jump into a taxi and call a friend - and talk to them all the way home. They don't trust the taxi drivers either - they don't trust any guy when they are alone, especially after dark. Every single Thai woman, especially half-decent looking one's, will be able to tell you a story where they ended up in deep genuine fear, even if it didn't go any further.

Why are London etc on the list? Contrary to the truly idiotic comments saying that they deserve to be - it's down to one simple thing. The sampling is skewed towards Western women. They can't comment about what it's like to walk down the street in Saudi with a pair of shorts on, because they've never been there in any great numbers. And the one's that have wouldn't dare from the get go.

So - the list is BS - a nonsense poll taken from a nonsense sample of women that don't know what they are talking about.

Edited by phrodan

This is the full list:

1. Bogota, Colombia

2. Mexico City

3. Lima, Peru

4. New Delhi

5. Jakarta, Indonesia

8. Bangkok

9. Moscow

10. Manila, Philippines

11. Paris

12. Seoul, South Korea

13. London

14. Beijing

15. Tokyo

16. New York

So...what is the criteria? You can do anything with stats. I always cringe when I see stats with no qualifying data. If you have one person with a problem and then another gets it that is a 100% increase. But only two people. If you have one million people with a problem and 100,000 get the same problem that is only a 10% increase but many more people. Polls and stats are meaningless if you don't have the underlying data.