Random breath testing at Thapae Gate next to McDonalds

konisaan

I was riding past there this morning around 2.30 AM and there was a major RBT operation underway. I've seen something like this there before but not such a heavy and well coordinated operation. They were pretty much testing everyone. The only forewarning was a traffic jam coming into the dog leg but this may only be obvious when there are tour buses being pulled over.

Perhaps someone here knows what the penalties are for being over the limit and can post so that people know the consequences.

• Like 1

The penalty is you might kill someone.

How about you just don't drink and drive, regardless of whether you think you'll get caught or not?

As they say they were pretty much testing everyone and they ask what the penalties were, I'm assuming they were lucky enough not to get stopped or were not over the limit.

Op, in reply to your question, I've heard it's off to the slammer and then a 20k fine at the court the next working day. I believe you cannot pay upfront and expect to walk away from it, but if you can consider yourself lucky.

• Like 2

How about you just don't drink and drive, regardless of whether you think you'll get caught or not?

As they say they were pretty much testing everyone and they ask what the penalties were, I'm assuming they were lucky enough not to get stopped or were not over the limit.

Op, in reply to your question, I've heard it's off to the slammer and then a 20k fine at the court the next working day. I believe you cannot pay upfront and expect to walk away from it, but if you can consider yourself lucky.

An acquaintance ran into a similar situation a while back and was able to post 20,000 baht bond at the police station when caught on a Friday night to avoid spending the weekend in the gulag... He showed up for court and they applied it toward his fine...

This is nothing new at Thapae Gate, they have been doing it there quite regularly for several years. coffee1.gif

My understanding based on some first and second hand experience whistling.gif , 10K Bt bail for Thai's 20K for others (including Burmese). Next day court, fine depends on the alcohol level. An acquaintance blew 94 and got about 5K. Stupid idiot got done twice in two weeks but they didn't seem to take previous offences into account. Allegedly, over 100 is a mandatory jail term, but TIT.

Not so easy to buy your way out. The stops are often by traffic police, who hand arrested people over to the local station for processing so there is a paperwork trail to circumvent.

I believe its got worse/tougher with the latest law enactements

GF told me yesterday that for the month of March there will be no paying your way out of it at the time of the initial test i.e. Thaphae, and it will be off to the big house. I'm guessing she got that piece of info through official channels.

I am all for large penalties for drink driving, but at the condition that the limit is an acceptable amount. I am not sure, but I heard two beers here is enough to be over the limit; is that true? I would think that is not exactly a threatening amount to have in the system; like being sleep deprived or using a cell phone would be more dangerous.

Limit is .05 in Thailand, which yes, two beers within about two hours will put you there.

Problem is they'll fine you over and over and never take your license away. I know a fellow been caught six times, fines between 5k and 10k each.

• Like 1

Don't know what has happened to me, but I started liking your posts.

You are being very sensible recentlythumbsup.gif

Have you been copying my posts Costas? I have just said the same thing.

UP TO DATE INFORMATION

if you drive past Thapae Gate at night after drinking you are a COMPLETE IDIOT

Now moving onto what the current penalties are since I know 2 people even after being told dont drive by Thapae were caught and thrown into jail Bail is

20,000 Baht (will be returned

First Guy #1 Got 6000 baht fine and nothing more spent 24 hours in the slammer

2nd guy got 6500 baht fine and 20 hours community service and 6 month driving ban

The cops are the wors offender for drink driving and the best way is if you worry about it just use the back streets and steerl clear of Thapae Gate they are ALWAYS THERE LATE AT NIGHT so use ya noggin and learn how to bypass using the back streets.

And for those that will say I am condoing Drink driving nope I am just being a realist in a country where everyone from the small policeman right up to the judge that will be the one to lay down your punishement they all do it and get away with it so why not just do the same as them and avoid the issue.

Sentence no1, if you drink and drive at all, you are a complete fool.

Your last sentence, absolutely disgraceful. Are you trolling?

• Like 2

You can have 2 seven fluid ounce* beers or 2 shots of whisky etc in the first hour and one thereafter. You will most likely be slightly under .05 or so the story goes. There are drug tests sometimes as well in Australia 0 for instance, marijuana has to be at least 3 hours through the system. The cops here supposedly cover the back streets too.

* 14us fl oz = 0.41403L

• Like 2

This is nothing new at Thapae Gate, they have been doing it there quite regularly for several years. coffee1.gif

My understanding based on some first and second hand experience whistling.gif , 10K Bt bail for Thai's 20K for others (including Burmese). Next day court, fine depends on the alcohol level. An acquaintance blew 94 and got about 5K. Stupid idiot got done twice in two weeks but they didn't seem to take previous offences into account. Allegedly, over 100 is a mandatory jail term, but TIT.

Not so easy to buy your way out. The stops are often by traffic police, who hand arrested people over to the local station for processing so there is a paperwork trail to circumvent.

I believe its got worse/tougher with the latest law enactements

I think tougher is the better word.

I don't want to see my Thai friend or his family wiped out by a drunk driver, Thai or farang.

• Like 2

UP TO DATE INFORMATION

if you drive past Thapae Gate at night after drinking you are a COMPLETE IDIOT

Now moving onto what the current penalties are since I know 2 people even after being told dont drive by Thapae were caught and thrown into jail Bail is

20,000 Baht (will be returned

First Guy #1 Got 6000 baht fine and nothing more spent 24 hours in the slammer

2nd guy got 6500 baht fine and 20 hours community service and 6 month driving ban

The cops are the wors offender for drink driving and the best way is if you worry about it just use the back streets and steerl clear of Thapae Gate they are ALWAYS THERE LATE AT NIGHT so use ya noggin and learn how to bypass using the back streets.

And for those that will say I am condoing Drink driving nope I am just being a realist in a country where everyone from the small policeman right up to the judge that will be the one to lay down your punishement they all do it and get away with it so why not just do the same as them and avoid the issue.

Sentence no1, if you drink and drive at all, you are a complete fool.

Your last sentence, absolutely disgraceful. Are you trolling?

No, you just disagree with him. That happens, on a forum.

• Like 2

I am all for large penalties for drink driving, but at the condition that the limit is an acceptable amount. I am not sure, but I heard two beers here is enough to be over the limit; is that true? I would think that is not exactly a threatening amount to have in the system; like being sleep deprived or using a cell phone would be more dangerous.

It would be for me, I don't drink !!!