Netanyahu turns down invite to meet with US Senate Democrats

webfact

Netanyahu turns down invite to meet with Senate Democrats
By DONNA CASSATA

WASHINGTON (AP) — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday turned down an invitation to meet privately with Senate Democrats next week during his visit to Washington, saying the session "could compound the misperception of partisanship" surrounding his trip.

Angering the White House and Democrats, Netanyahu accepted an invitation from Republican leaders to address a joint meeting of Congress on March 3 and speak about Iran. The GOP leaders did not consult with the Obama administration, which the White House called a breach of protocol.

Sens. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., on Monday invited Netanyahu to meet in a closed-door session with Democrats during his visit. He declined the invitation on Tuesday and expressed regret about the politically fraught tone of his trip.

"I regret that the invitation to address the special joint session of Congress has been perceived by some to be political or partisan," Netanyahu wrote. "I can assure you that my sole intention in accepting it was to voice Israel's grave concerns about a potential nuclear agreement with Iran that could threaten the survival of my country."

Netanyahu said to meet with Democrats "at this time could compound the misperception of partisanship regarding my upcoming visit."

More than a half dozen House and Senate Democrats have said they will skip the speech, calling it an affront to President Barack Obama and the administration as they engage in high-level negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program. Vice President Joe Biden will be traveling and has no plans to attend the speech.

Obama has no plans to meet with Netanyahu, with the administration saying such a session would break with past practices of engaging with world leaders close to elections. Israel's elections are set for March 17.

Durbin said in a statement that he regretted that Netanyahu could not meet with the Democrats.

"We offered the Prime Minister an opportunity to balance the politically divisive invitation from Speaker (John) Boehner with a private meeting with Democrats who are committed to keeping the bipartisan support of Israel strong," Durbin said. "His refusal to meet is disappointing to those of us who have stood by Israel for decades."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-25

It seems Bibi doesn't have a clue about U.S. politics. His visit has already made support for Israel more of a partisan issue. The democrats were throwing him a lifeboat and he pushed it back. I am finding his behavior appalling.

I guess it is more arrogance

Ok fine, I say cut off the countless billions in funding that the US is sending to them. Go ahead and face that insane region on your own!!! You would rather back the republicans? Your region would be a whole lot safer if the republicans would have kept their war machine out of Iraq, Afghanistan etc etc. in the first place.

• Like 2

As the citizen of a foreign country Netanyahu is not subject to the USConstitution but he's very well aware of it on his own and he has the best legal counsel in two countries to consult on it if he's interested.

This is a clash of philosophies as much as anything else, if not the nub of it. In the USA Netanyahu is a conservative and a hard right one besides, take no prisoners especially wimpy liberals.

If Netanyahu believes the United States would not destroy Iran today if it attacked Israel with nuclear weapons today or today made an all out conventional war attack against Israel, then I must question his balance, his perspective, his judgement.

Let's see if all of this madness stays this way or if there's a change of the guy at the top. Either way, one has to respect the voters of Israel to look after their interests too. So if Israel and the US might diverge, it would be temporarily to recover later...optimistically speaking.

(And let me say to the TVF Right that it is not an issue of the separation of powers, because yes Congress can invite who it wants to invite, yes it can and is. The president is the chief of state and in the Constitution s/he exclusively receives foreign visitors. Congress can invite Satan if it wants to and few to include myself would argue with the right to do it, but the Congress is not the the sole organ of the United States abroad and government-to-government, state-to-state, as the president is at home or abroad. This is out of order.)

It seems Bibi doesn't have a clue about U.S. politics. His visit has already made support for Israel more of a partisan issue. The democrats were throwing him a lifeboat and he pushed it back. I am finding his behavior appalling.

Netanyahu has not made this apartisan issue, the dems did that by first saying some would not attend his speach at congress. Now they want to get in on the act and are suprised Netanyahu says no.

American politics is broken. This fiasco shows that quite clearly. As for pissing off Amrican Jews because they vote Democrat. <deleted>-Ck them! this isn't about American Jews. Shows American hospitaly is non existant. Having invited a foreign guest they now turn on him.

• Like 2

If Netanyahu believes the United States would not destroy Iran today if it attacked Israel with nuclear weapons today or today made an all out conventional war attack against Israel, then I must question his balance, his perspective, his judgement.

Question all you want. I have little doubt that none of this would happen with Barack Obama in charge. He does not even honor red lines that he has drawn himself.

• Like 1

I like the guy he is the only one who is trying to stop Iran from making the Big Bomb the rest of the world is just letting them get Ability to create a atomic bomb

Netanyahu has been claiming Iran is 3 years away from creating "the big bomb" since 1992! Despite Mossad and the CIA refuting this. He has zero credibility on this issue.

• Like 2

Netanyahu has not made this apartisan issue, the dems did that by first saying some would not attend his speach at congress. Now they want to get in on the act and are suprised Netanyahu says no.

American politics is broken. This fiasco shows that quite clearly. As for pissing off Amrican Jews because they vote Democrat. <deleted>-Ck them! this isn't about American Jews. Shows American hospitaly is non existant. Having invited a foreign guest they now turn on him.

He is serving Israel poorly to piss off so many Americans. Sorry, it's true. I accept for him Israel is number one, but to show such disrespect to the closest ally of Israel for all of her history is just plain STUPID

Or maybe it is Americans who are two faced. Standing behind a failed president, Just because he is president. If you can accept Obama is going against American foreign policy of decades. That he seems willing to allow Iran to attain nuclear capablities. Something America would not allow under any other admin.

Then the question is why do the Dems stand behind Obuma? Politically it could be concidered suicide for them to do that. As for serving Israel badly, That is BS you mean Netanyahu is insulting America, and Americans don't like it!

Again this comes down to how Amrican politics has failed these past years to blame Netahyahu, for disrespecting an Ally. Was it not Obama who disrespected Netahyahu first? Aren't the Dems now worried that maybe they will lose the Jewish vote?

It seems it doesn't matter if the president is wrong in his foreign policy, the minute someone shows how bad that policy is, then BLINDLY americans stand behind that president. Just because he is president. How &lt;deleted&gt;-Cked is that?

Just to add at the end of the day It doesn't matter if America suports Israel or not. If it comes down to survival Israel will not die willingly. Never again means never again, Why do you think Israel has Nukes?

Edited by ggold
  • Like 1

He is serving Israel poorly to piss off so many Americans. Sorry, it's true. I accept for him Israel is number one, but to show such disrespect to the closest ally of Israel for all of her history is just plain STUPID

He did NOT show disrespect to anyone. He followed diplomatic protocol. The White House knew about the invitation before Netanyahu accepted it. The Obama administration are the ones making a mountain out of a molehill.

An earlier version of this article misstated when Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel accepted Speaker John A. Boehners invitation to address Congress. He accepted after the administration had been informed of the invitation, not before.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/02/08/did-the-obama-administration-lie-about-netanyahu/

• Like 2

Netanyahu ticked off Clinton during their first meeting in the Oval Office...I'd posted a report from an unidentified adviser of Clinton saying immediately afterward;" Who the f*** is this guy? Does this f****** guy know who the superpower is?"

So Barack Obama was the second Democratic party prez to walk in to Bibi Netanyahu, and American Jews and US blacks have such a good history together besides. wink.png

Netanyahu is as I'd said a conservative and a right winger from the hard right, who has openly made his choice in US government and politics. He is Rush Limbaugh up out of his seat and on steroids, a calamity in process..

• Like 2

Question all you want. I have little doubt that none of this would happen with Barack Obama in charge. He does not even honor red lines that he has drawn himself.

I have little doubt that none of this would happen with Barack Obama in charge.

Might want to try to rework that one that can happen to anyone...well....

The prez was not consulted on the invitation and was "advised" of it at only the last minute. Boehner and Netanyahu conspired over it for weeks before Prez Obama knew anything about it at the last minute. Trying to rewrite the facts into each thread on the topic fails.

Netanyahu was not invited by the head of state so it will not be a state visit to the US. Not invited at all, eh?

Rush and Bibi....Bibi and Rush....

• Like 1

Please provide evidence that "Boehner and Netanyahu conspired over it for weeks". I certainly am not going to take your word for it. There is no doubt that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accepted Speaker John A. Boehners invitation to address Congress AFTER the administration had been informed of the invitation, not before.

Did the Obama Administration lie about Netanyahu? (Updated and revised)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/02/08/did-the-obama-administration-lie-about-netanyahu/

Edited by Ulysses G.

Or maybe it is Americans who are two faced. Standing behind a failed president, Just because he is president. If you can accept Obama is going against American foreign policy of decades. That he seems willing to allow Iran to attain nuclear capablities. Something America would not allow under any other admin.

Then the question is why do the Dems stand behind Obuma? Politically it could be concidered suicide for them to do that. As for serving Israel badly, That is BS you mean Netanyahu is insulting America, and Americans don't like it!

Again this comes down to how Amrican politics has failed these past years to blame Netahyahu, for disrespecting an Ally. Was it not Obama who disrespected Netahyahu first? Aren't the Dems now worried that maybe they will lose the Jewish vote?

It seems it doesn't matter if the president is wrong in his foreign policy, the minute someone shows how bad that policy is, then BLINDLY americans stand behind that president. Just because he is president. How <deleted>-Cked is that?

Just to add at the end of the day It doesn't matter if America suports Israel or not. If it comes down to survival Israel will not die willingly. Never again means never again, Why do you think Israel has Nukes?

Well, if my loyalty to the USA was less than my feeling of support for the existence Israel, I would make aliyah there. Most American Jews are never going to do that. (Speaking of never.) I support those who do and recognize Israel needs to make the interest of Israel their top priority. I question whether Bibi's clumsiness is really serving that so well but that is up to the Israeli voters, of course.

I wonder if this is a miscalculation on Obama's part. Could this all be happening in the hope that it will effect Netanyahu's chances for re-election. If you read what Susan Rice has to say, it seems she is speaking to an Israeli audience, suggesting the collapse of relations between the two countries?

“The relationship between Israel as a country and the United States as a country has always been bipartisan,” Rice noted, emphasizing that keeping US-Israel ties free of local politics was in the best interest of both countries.

“It’s always been bipartisan; we need to keep it that way,” she said. “We want it that way. I think Israel wants it that way, the Israeli people want it that way. When it becomes infused with politics that’s a problem.”

It would suit Obama if Netanyahu was not PM after the March elections. It's called payback! However it will probably fail. Netanyahu stands more chance of winning the more the American Admin attacks him.
The reality is Obama is a lame duck, the Iran deal is is last chance at anything. He is annoyed with BiBi for upsetting his plans.
Dare I say History will remember Nixon for detante with China than Obama for any Iran deal!
  • Like 2

This is just awesome. Democrats in general are just despicable. No one should give them the time of day.

Since the 90s, I have tended to vote Democratically. Clinton swayed me toward the Democrat side during his first tenure. I disagree that Democrats overall are despicable. Obama is despicable and, unfortunately, many good Democratic Congressmen's hands are tied somewhat due to Obama.

• Like 1

'... my sole intention in accepting it was to voice Israel's grave concerns about a potential nuclear agreement with Iran that could threaten the survival of my country."' This being from the sole Middle East country with nuclear weapons.

'... to meet with Democrats "at this time could compound the misperception of partisanship ...' Funny interpretation of partisanship. Much more likely he is out to avoid embarrassing questions about his leadership.

• Like 1

'... my sole intention in accepting it was to voice Israel's grave concerns about a potential nuclear agreement with Iran that could threaten the survival of my country."' This being from the sole Middle East country with nuclear weapons.

'... to meet with Democrats "at this time could compound the misperception of partisanship ...' Funny interpretation of partisanship. Much more likely he is out to avoid embarrassing questions about his leadership.

More likely, the embarrassing questions would be asked about the Democrat leadership. The two Senators made the invitation for a reason, they don't want to be caught in Obama's BS, and he'll be gone in less than two years.

Bibi's sole reason for addressing a joint session of Congress is to raise the alarm concerning Iran's enrichment program which is designed to produce plutonium. Plutonium has only one end product. Nuclear bombs. Is that clear enough for you Jing?

Therefore Bibi's speech is not political. It is designed to prevent obama from signing some stupid give away the store deal. A deal from which we can never recover. Congress needs to enact draconian sanctions, crippling sanctions against the mad mullahs.IMHO

• Like 2

More likely, the embarrassing questions would be asked about the Democrat leadership. The two Senators made the invitation for a reason, they don't want to be caught in Obama's BS, and he'll be gone in less than two years.

laugh.png

The two most senior Democratic party Senators invited Netanyahu to speak to all the US Senators of the Democratic party in a Senate caucus room and in private.

It was the in private that Bibi doesn't like or want.

Bibi would have come running out of that meeting butt scorched for the rest of his life, hop on a plane and go home to tend to the wounds.