New traffic law to empower Thai police to suspend car use

webfact

New traffic law to empower police to suspend car use

2-2-2558-17-44-352-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police has proposed an amendment to the land traffic law to empower traffic police to suspend the use of the vehicle in case of traffic offence and traffic ticket is issued but is ignored and left unpaid.

This was revealed by Pol Lt-Gen Prawuthi Thavornsiri, spokesperson of the Royal Thai Police.

He said the amendment to the traffic law has already been put forward to the National Legislative Assembly for consideration.

Once it is approved and comes into force, the law would help enhance discipline of motorists, reduce arguments between motorists and traffic police, and address traffic problems.

He said at present there are 400-500 hot spots in Bangkok where motorists regularly break traffic rules including riding motorbike crossing flyovers which is not allowed, and parking at restricted areas.

In case of these violations and traffic tickets are issued, the amended law allows traffic police to suspend the use of a vehicle if motorist repeats the same offence within one year or fails to pay traffic ticket.

The spokesman said under the amended version of the traffic law, traffic police will have three channels to send a ticket to a motorist for a traffic offence.

Police can attach the ticket on the vehicle, hand it over to the law offender right on the spot, or send it via mail service.

He said in the ticket, it will state a timeframe for which the motorist or car owner is required to pay the fine.

If violator fails to pay the ticket within the timeframe, police will be able to suspend the use of the vehicle.

The owner of the vehicle then will not be able to renew the annual car registration at the Land Transport Department and use of vehicle beb suspended until traffic ticket is paid, he said.

Payment of the tickets could be made at convenient store or other channels to be determined by the police chief, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-traffic-law-to-empower-police-to-suspend-car-use

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-26

• Like 2

Anyone using a motorbike in or around Bangkok is stopped on a regular basis, sometimes 4 times a day. The police have money spots, flyovers are one of them. There are 3 outcomes, 1) allowed to go on one's way, 2) pay and go, 3) receive a ticket.

The police will often steer the rider to the police's preferable outcome on that day. e.g. If the stop is focussed on drugs, they will simply check the licence, gauge for drugs and then finish the check if they think there are no drugs.

If they have been ordered to collect cash, they will aim for option 2.

If they go for option 3, riders are given 7 days to pay. This effectively means they are free to break all traffic laws for the next 7 days using the ticket as the magic card to ward off all further fines.

I am guessing but in this rather vague proposal, I think the police will use the fact that a driver or rider is still producing a ticket instead of a licence as the trigger for suspension of vehicle use.

I also believe there is no way the police could enforce this with the current level of integration and information technology between the Land Transport Dept. and individual police stations.

Does anyone remember the points system for driving licences that was introduced a few years ago. That was also just a load of hot air.

Anyone using a motorbike in or around Bangkok is stopped on a regular basis, sometimes 4 times a day. The police have money spots, flyovers are one of them. There are 3 outcomes, 1) allowed to go on one's way, 2) pay and go, 3) receive a ticket.

The police will often steer the rider to the police's preferable outcome on that day. e.g. If the stop is focussed on drugs, they will simply check the licence, gauge for drugs and then finish the check if they think there are no drugs.

If they have been ordered to collect cash, they will aim for option 2.

If they go for option 3, riders are given 7 days to pay. This effectively means they are free to break all traffic laws for the next 7 days using the ticket as the magic card to ward off all further fines.

I am guessing but in this rather vague proposal, I think the police will use the fact that a driver or rider is still producing a ticket instead of a licence as the trigger for suspension of vehicle use.

I also believe there is no way the police could enforce this with the current level of integration and information technology between the Land Transport Dept. and individual police stations.

Does anyone remember the points system for driving licences that was introduced a few years ago. That was also just a load of hot air.

Personally I don't mind a ticket.. I just mind the hassle of finding a police station and paying it. I drive on the right (left lane is too dangerous and my bike goes fast enough to be on the left). I know I am wrong and if caught I pay up without problems. I think its outdated especially for a 650cc bike. The problem is that sometimes you have to pay the fine at a police station and you have no idea where it is. I prefer to pay the fine on the spot (even the full fine no need to bribe them) but unfortunately that is not always possible.

I heard somewhere you could pay fines at the post office.. not sure about the truth of the matter.

I would like to see it go further stoped at check point

No driving licence car impounded

No insurance car impounded

Not road worthy car impounded

car or motorbike only returned when all legal requirements are met.

They would need a bloody big impound yard.

so how would you fix an impounded unroadworthy car?

properly enforcing the fines is a start, impounds are pointless if the tickets are being written.

Irrelevant ammendmant ... since when did anyone here need a license to drive?

Irrelevant comment, this is nothing to do with suspending licences.

far from it, it speaks directly to the greater issue. you can drive indefinitely here without even having a licence, how will impounding vehicles change that when the most basic of traffic rules are not properly enforced?

i rode a motorcycle in bangkok for 10 years without a licence - once even collecting insurance money for an accident i was not at fault in. Nobody even thought to ask to see my license.

Personally I don't mind a ticket.. I just mind the hassle of finding a police station and paying it. I drive on the right (left lane is too dangerous and my bike goes fast enough to be on the left). I know I am wrong and if caught I pay up without problems. I think its outdated especially for a 650cc bike. The problem is that sometimes you have to pay the fine at a police station and you have no idea where it is. I prefer to pay the fine on the spot (even the full fine no need to bribe them) but unfortunately that is not always possible.

I heard somewhere you could pay fines at the post office.. not sure about the truth of the matter.

Why you think that a bike with an larger internal engine capacity should be exempt from certain laws (apart from the fact that you own one, as you keep emphasising for some reason), that is just sheer nonsense. You seem to cite speed but even the smallest engined motorbike is easily able to match and exceed the normal speed of everyday traffic. Presumably you would also exempt cars with big engines from the same laws that apply to small engined cars?

There should be no problem ever paying a fine at a police station, if you're in an area that you are unfamiliar with when you get a ticket you can nominate a police station in any other area that you are familiar with at which to pay your fine.

Irrelevant ammendmant ... since when did anyone here need a license to drive?

Irrelevant comment, this is nothing to do with suspending licences.

far from it, it speaks directly to the greater issue. you can drive indefinitely here without even having a licence, how will impounding vehicles change that when the most basic of traffic rules are not properly enforced?

i rode a motorcycle in bangkok for 10 years without a licence - once even collecting insurance money for an accident i was not at fault in. Nobody even thought to ask to see my license.

It's not "far from it". This is about a proposal to restrict the physical use of a vehicle, not about licencing, whether or not you think licencing is the greater (off topic) issue.

• Like 1

Why you think that a bike with an larger internal engine capacity should be exempt from certain laws (apart from the fact that you own one, as you keep emphasising for some reason), that is just sheer nonsense. You seem to cite speed but even the smallest engined motorbike is easily able to match and exceed the normal speed of everyday traffic. Presumably you would also exempt cars with big engines from the same laws that apply to small engined cars?

There should be no problem ever paying a fine at a police station, if you're in an area that you are unfamiliar with when you get a ticket you can nominate a police station in any other area that you are familiar with at which to pay your fine.

If that is the case I am fine with it no problem. I did not know that hat was possible. I accept I am breaking the law.. Are you sure about being able to pay at other police stations ? If so my problem is solved as I really have no problem with the fine. Because I know I am wrong.

And I just feel the whole left and flyover thing for all bikes is crazy (except sam lors). Staying in the left lane is dangerous.. every bus / taxi / minivan cuts you off to stop there. As for the flyovers.. its also crazy.. as I said we have one in the neighborhood.. one way its allowed.. but coming back its not.. just crazy. I also drive a scooter (and a car)

• Like 1

It would seem they already have the power to confiscate motorbikes. Have a look round the back of your local cop shop you may see something like this :

post-12069-0-74651500-1424926751_thumb.j post-12069-0-04813700-1424927027_thumb.j

Some of these have been there for years others are quite recent.

Be a good boy Robblok yours could be a new addition to the collection.

The department of motor vehicles does not have computerized license records for two good reasons. One, influential people would show up on the radar with unregistered imports. Two, it would prevent graft, and at policeman's pay (so low many have to buy their own gun and motorcycle) no one could afford to be a cop.

Revoking the licenses sounds like a good idea, but they do not even have unique plate numbers, to make the whole mess even less transparent. I can have a plate with the exact same number as someone in Surin, with the only difference being the very small Thai writing that identifies the issuing Amphur.

The whole system is deliberately rigged and everyone knows it.

• Like 1